Who wants the reputation function enabled?

Do you want the reputation function enabled?

• Yes

Votes: 36 43.4%
  • No

Votes: 47 56.6%

• Total voters
Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
In that case why not just give it a trial run and that way those who are against it can actually see if this idea can actually exist without abuse. I mean you can always disable it whenever it shows signs of failure.

I could easily do that but I just thought I'd actually ask to see if people even wanted it. People make the assumption that since once board abuses it, the function itself is worthless.

Oh well...if people don't want it, that is fine but I want people to make a judgement based on how it would work here, not another boartd with 10x the members and 10x the teenagers. That isn't a rip, just a fact.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
In that case why not just give it a trial run and that way those who are against it can actually see if this idea can actually exist without abuse. I mean you can always disable it whenever it shows signs of failure.
I agree with this. It's kind of like the replay system Bobo, some love it, some hate so you're never going to make everyone happy no matter what. I'd say just give it a try and if it works out than it can stay if not then nobody died and life will go on

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I like the idea of you making it have some integrity to it. Bolded comments below.
You can automatically get rep points for particiapting and being a member...example you get 1 point per month....1 point per 100 posts...

Here are some of the criteria I can set

How many different users must you give reputation to before you can hit the same person again?

Limit the total number you can give to one person.

How many reputation clicks can a user give over each 24 hour period?

Check!

How much reputation must a user have before his reputation hits count on others?

Pre-requisite to give rep...good call!

For every X points of reputation, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

For every X number of posts, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

No points for posts to general conversation, swap meet, adult or other forums deemed in this catagory.

For every X number of days, users gain 1 point of reputation-altering power.

Clarify reputation-altering power.

bda55

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Clarify reputation-altering power
If person X has 500 rep points and gives person Y "rep", person Y would get 5 extra rep points.
If person Z has 100 rep points and gives person Y "rep", person Y would get 1 extra rep point.

Something along those lines, I suppose that can be controlled as well.

And disabling rep points in the general discussion/adult section/etc would solve the "karma sluts" problem.

I also think it depends alot on the board. I'm member of a board with about as much members as this one (a dutch one), where this system is not abused at all... I don't see the big problem heh :)

judge-mental

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
actualy by the way you describe the control i think it can be a positive thing, esp. with people giving dumbass advice here sometimes.

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
bobo its your board man and i say just go for it.. you'll know in a very short period of time if we are mature enough to handle it (i'm relatively certain we are)

Burner

Awards
People are making a big deal about it because they have seen the enormous problems created by it. I know Bobo and the mods dont put up with shyte around her, so i think its worth a try. Maybe it will encourage more conversation from people that are normally just lurkers...then again maybe thats a bad thing:)

My suggestion (sorry if its already been mentioned) would be to not allow reps to be given in the forums that aren’t directly related to BB (eg. politics, misc, etc). This would solve a lot of the problems with the abused rep system.

EDIT: Ok looks like it has...

QUICKRYDE

Awards
  • Established
I say, let it run for 30 to 90 days and make your final decision after your set time period.

How about we use these points as discount points for supplements???? I think your sponsors should like that idea because it might help them to move more of their product.<<<<just an idea. :rolleyes:

ryansm

ryansm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Man, it's just a poll.

Well I personally like green dots, they look good on me.:D

By the way who is listening to the radio.:head:

stinkfinger

Awards
Go for it. If its a problem Bobo will handle it. I've lurked here with infrequent posts for six months. I know who has knowledge and who doesn't. This site is like a daily newspaper for me.

The Experiment

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Doesn't matter to me. It seems like there's already an unofficial reputation system here already. Most regulars here know who is wise or talks out of their ass.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok, I am going to try it and see how it goes. If it turns into a farce or just doens't get used, then I will turn it off. Simple as that.