Whats working for older guys?

bad rad

bad rad

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Your Welcome! Thats what this forum is for, logically everyone should consider anything in a commonsense manner, as there are so many ways to exercise. Gaining and maintaining muscle can be an expensive project, particularly food which is ever increasing in cost, a pound of ground round is close to 5 dollars where Im at, pork isnt much cheaper and a good steak is 10 bucks. Protein powders help, but their hard to digest and costly as well.
I'm in SoCal so I understand high food prices but watch for sales. I have a big deep freeze and it's full of meat on sale, at 0* F it will keep for over a year. I watch the weekly flyers and get ribeye for $5lb and pork for $1.35lb. At Costco here chicken and turkey are $2 and 91% ground beef is $3.25. Cottage cheese is another fairly low priced option. I don't use much protein powder because I'm super lactose intolerate. Food is expensive but increased protein and Cals have done wonders for my recovery, the older I get the more crucial it has become. I have five kids so I completely understand budgeting.

And I agree with Knowbull, this has been a very informative thread without the internet attitude

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the tip about costco. I agree about this calorie intake thing, you simply have to have the energy units to build and maintain, that means adequate food without spending a fortune. A couple pork chops and some fresh broccoli once a day isnt making it, total cost; 7 or 8 dollars, while it may be enough to keep a person alive, its not enough to fuel intense workouts. Its not enough to gain weight. A guy has to have 3 good meals a day.

avsfreak24

Awards
I try to have three good meals a day, plus morning and afternoon snacks with quality protein and the post-workout shake. I target roughly 150 grams protein/day and do try to drop 300-400 calories on non-workout days. Right now, I am doing a 3day split workout and I run it ABCABCX and take sundays off. I am introducing HIIT this weekend and just have to keep the motivation to get up before work to carry it through the week, then I will be hooked and set.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Yeh, good logic, I always put my weight-lifting energy demands before my work, consistently working out before going to work, it made for a better work day

avsfreak24

Awards
So, the last few days, since I've gone to this 3day split, I try to make my workouts as intense as I can. Not that I didn't workout hard before, but I'm trying to be explosive on the full weight sets. I have noticed I am sweating profusely like I'm prone to do, but haven't really in awhile. I didn't notice I wasn't until it came back again. I think my body is getting more in balance the longer I am on the whole-food supplements I've been prescribed. It feels good to sweat like that again. I was breathing heavy, high heart rate, but it always felt like I wasn't leaving it all there, even though my body parts were burnt after my workouts. Do you guys think that is a good sign?

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Personally, I couldnt do a 3 day routine like that. Really pushing can cause strain, injury and fatigue. Its easy to overtrain and not know it. I keep my workouts minimal and submaximal, 3 full body wo's a week. Some days are more energetic than others, vary sets and reps. Lifting weights 3 days in a row is pretty strenuous. Although at your age I was doing it the way you describe.

avsfreak24

Awards
I am doing warm up sets at 50% weight, and then 1 8 rep set, all out. I do pulling one day, pushing, then legs. The workouts are shorter and intense. If I do the all out set and can do 12 reps, I will do a second set. If I were doing full body workouts like I used to do, I would be doing as you are. I am trying to get maximum work in shorter time, so I don't over train. 3-4 weeks, then one week light or off. Not sure how to do the light week though.

avsfreak24

Awards
haven't done this before, so I hope I can train my muscles to be used to short but all out and not hold anything back for multiple sets.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do a 3 day split, chest w/bis+tris, legs with bis+tris and back/shoulders. So I do hit each area pretty maximally each workout, but with weights where my failure point is in the 8-12 rep range

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
I can see where short bursting wo's would be helpful, even as a safeguard against stale lifting, but for me I keep mine to about an hour. Steady exertion for that amount of time really stims endorphin release, gh, test, etc. A guy finds a routine that works for them and their fitness goals, keepin sets in the 60 to 70 range per week helps recovery. Its nice to have the buffed, toned look, but feeling exhausted isnt much fun, so the idea is to, as was mentioned elsewhere, to maximize effectiveness of exercise time without draining resources too much.

bagodonuts

Awards
43 and out of test

I have been on test for 8 months I think with the right workout this is all you need My doctor prescribed it once a week with regular work out to keep up with the jones's if you get what i mean and if your last m=name is Jones I ment nothing by that

RunForestRun

Awards
I have been on test for 8 months I think with the right workout this is all you need My doctor prescribed it once a week with regular work out to keep up with the jones's if you get what i mean and if your last m=name is Jones I ment nothing by that
Hey there Bagodonuts... Was it difficult to get your Dr to prescribe Test for you? Since Having my vasectomy, I've noticed a significant drop in all things related to my testosterone levels (strength, energy, motivation, recovery, mental clarity, etc...).

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey there Bagodonuts... Was it difficult to get your Dr to prescribe Test for you? Since Having my vasectomy, I've noticed a significant drop in all things related to my testosterone levels (strength, energy, motivation, recovery, mental clarity, etc...).
Get your doctor to run a hormone panel blood test

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
This turned out to be a good thread for us older guys that dont want to look or feel so old. Up date on my workouts is: still going strong on light weights with minimum calorie intake, vascularity and muscle tone good, energy levels so so, slight increases in poundages, 2 to 3 wos per week, 9 exercises per full body session, 3 set max. Might be kinda tired, but Im lookin stronger than the average "old guy" a guy gets to know when their muscles are lookin ok, most guys dont exercise, I see the difference every day. How bout the others here? Any good thoughts or comments?

MEPSE

MEPSE

Awards
At 47, I am still using a three-day split, working each muscle group directly once per week. Monday is back and chest, Wednesday is legs, and Friday is shoulders and arms. This split works better for me than any other, and I still use heavy weight for 8 to 12 reps with very little rest. I also never exceed 8 total sets and 3 exercises per bodypart. I am adding cardio on Tuesday and Thursday starting this week as I am up to 215 lbs and need to get rid of some fat.

bad rad

bad rad

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I don't do very well on high volume, even when I was younger. I try to hit each part once weekly with 1 or 2 exercises and 4-5 sets total. I'm on TRT and it's still very easy for me to overtrain. Before diet is thrown around I've ran my protein up tp 400gms and high fats/carbs with it, still only 3 days of lifting if I want to recover.

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
Maybe one of the Ancient Ones can chime in here with you "Old Guys" LOL. I'm still running all my vitamins and my Creatine/Beta-Alanine/AAKG ****tails along with my megadoses of Omega 3s, D3 etc. I am now two years into using Test Cyp now @ only 100 mgs and using my all-natural Progesterone for Estrogen control. But almost 2 months ago, I added something I like very much as an old fart. I am having good success using the RX Transaderm daily at 5 squirts. I never had anything like this kind of success using up to 200 mgs daily of DHEA in caps. This is another cream, it drys quickly, lasts 2 months per bottle and is reasonably priced. On Oct 1st I tore up my shoulder for the 4th time in the last decade. Again I healed it by going to megadoses of my Omega 3s ie 6 Gms ED and taking lots of Cissus RX. Works for me every time. I started back then on this Transaderm and I am recovering nicely, getting stronger and for 70 years old I think I am losing fat and getting ripped. If you don't laugh too much I'll post some current picks if I can get them up here

Attachments

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Good posting here guys. Dutch, your a testament to what sensible supplementing and regular exercise can do. The only problem Ive found with weight lifting is that once you make visible progress its difficult to stop. I give myself 2 to 3 hours of weights a week. I tried the bodypart once per week but it doesnt seem to be enough, and I like the endorphin release every other day.

kansui

kansui

Awards
I will be extremely happy if I have the physique and health that Dutch has at 70!
Those pics are awesome...
Correct supplementation is the key as well as a healthy dose of test I reckon to keep that kind of muscle at 70.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Yes, Dutch, could you post about diet? Whats your typical calorie intake and examples of meals? Do you prepare your own meals? etc. Thanks !

Big boy D

Big boy D

Awards
Dutch I had no idea you was 70 in your pic from past threads I thought you was 50 maybe. Good job man! I can only hope to be alive at that age, and also in good shape!

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Dutch was one of the original guys here and a prolific poster from way back.

Dutchman

Dutchman

Awards
  • Established
Good posting here guys. Dutch, your a testament to what sensible supplementing and regular exercise can do. The only problem Ive found with weight lifting is that once you make visible progress its difficult to stop. I give myself 2 to 3 hours of weights a week. I tried the bodypart once per week but it doesnt seem to be enough, and I like the endorphin release every other day.
That "Problem" is a great gift! It is the uniting force around my training, supplementation, nutrition, rest, it even set me up to meet and fall for the love of my life who shares all of the above with me. We think we are very young for our age in all possible respects visually, physically, mentally, emotionally, etc. As such we are comfortable with both prospects for longevity and the quality of life we can enjoy over that time.

We don't do a strict diet measuring out everything but we have our basics. Our breakfast except for the occasional cheat day at Denny's etc is always for me either three eggs sunnyside up, cooked in 4 tablespoons of coconut oil, the remainder of which I use on my multi grain english muffin. The only alternative is maybe 2X a week I switch to a double bowl of Oatmeal again going light on the water as I add my tbspns of coconut oil and 15 shakes of ground cinnamon. Lots of salads, chicken and fruit for lunch washed down with gallons of Arnold Palmers (ice tea/lemonade). Dinners are heavy on chicken, turkey and beef with lots of broccoli, sweet potatoes, and more veggies and fruit. What I have done for decades also is split a bottle, or nowadays big glasses of Inglenooks's boxed Merlot so we get our daily resveritol fix. Most nights I finish off with a very large spoonful of all natural peanut butter washed down with a glass of 2% milk. We do have some favorite meals that we find are cheap, very tasty and very healthy. The strangest one is splitting a Butterball Turkey Kielbasa and a half a steamed cabbage. Its a tasty change from the chicken and broccoli but with the same advantages. OK now you KNOW we are wierd old farts! LOL

bad rad

bad rad

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dutch you look amazing for 70 and damn good for any age. Most high school kids have less muscle tone than you do.

MEPSE

MEPSE

Awards
So I take it that's not your pic then?
No, the picture is not how I look currently. I competed 26 years ago (at 21) and won the middle weight division of Mr. West Coast Fitness in St. Petersburg. I have not competed since, but plan to before long. I weighed 165 at the competition, and I weigh about 50 lbs more now. I have increased my size significantly - just need to rip up. All of the gains are without AAS, which I have not used since the competition.

Knowbull

Awards
  • Established
Thanks Dutch, always good to hear from seasoned veterans, diet is as important as the weights. Learn, teach, lead, is the motto.