What car would YOU get?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think jjohn has wads of cash to spare and wants to have a sweet ride, and a new sweet ride every year. just has to be driveable in canada in the winter :)
Luckily I live on the Niagara Peninsula, Canada's Wine-Making region, so all this downer talk about Canadian winters doesn't apply to me any longer!

So why was a Viper even mentioned then?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I think jjohn mentioned it at the beginning of the thread :D but budget would be nice to know, big gap between the subaru wrx STI and an Audi RS6

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
BMW 3 series
Pontiac G6
Corvette
Mustang
Charger
350z

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Audi RS 4 4.2 : Features and Specifications
Starting at $66,910*
6 speed manual transmission
quattro® permanent all-wheel drive

420hp

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
You guys are rich. Can't hardly afford the payments on my Hyundai.(can't spell either)

im currently bouncing back and forth between a used infinity g35 or a really modest car (honda, toyota). its much nicer to have a $300. Its not really that some are rich, its just as someone above put it, they put driving a nice car on the priorities list. i want a house so the car kinda gets bumped way down.

Mrs. Gimpy!

Mrs. Gimpy!

Awards
  • Established
Starting at $66,910*

420hp
ouch, that's almost my yearly salary (in 7 months) :( that'd be nice if i could ever afford that one.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm thinking a 4 dr jeep for my next car since they are doing those now. they lease for under $300 a month, and are fun to drive. bouncy but fun, and a 4 dr convertible....

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
I think jjohn mentioned it at the beginning of the thread :D but budget would be nice to know, big gap between the subaru wrx STI and an Audi RS6
As you guys know, I'm 20, so I get tons of ideas. I'd be able to pay the viper, but probably not maintain it. I think I'll go with a STI..

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Man that STi really doesn't impress me. Muscle without luxury seems to be a waste. Even the vette has a lot of nice interior features.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
As you guys know, I'm 20, so I get tons of ideas. I'd be able to pay the viper, but probably not maintain it. I think I'll go with a STI..
Do it man, you won't be disappointed!

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Starting at $66,910*

420hp
The owner of the last company i worked for had one of those. Sweet car, needs to be seen to be apprieciated. Sounded really nice for an Audi, i was surprised but i guess thats what 420hp NA sounds like.

Man that STi really doesn't impress me. Muscle without luxury seems to be a waste. Even the vette has a lot of nice interior features.
Im with you. Why have this "sporty" car if the interior looks cheap, i need a touch of class personally. Im sure the STI doesnt have that. You will most likely look like a bunch of other guys with STIs too, you get used to Subarus really quick imo. But if that is what you really want GO FOR IT!

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
Does the STI even have cruise control?
I don't thin people buy STI's for the luxury of cruise control. Spoils half the fun.....out of curiosity what does an STI set you back in the states?

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't thin people buy STI's for the luxury of cruise control. Spoils half the fun.....out of curiosity what does an STI set you back in the states?
last time I looked, about 32k. for same price I got a dodge charger daytona with leather interior, sunroof, etc etc. and can actually hold 5 adults in the car. a little slower 0-60 tho, but 355hp of big v8 instead :D

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
last time I looked, about 32k. for same price I got a dodge charger daytona with leather interior, sunroof, etc etc. and can actually hold 5 adults in the car. a little slower 0-60 tho, but 355hp of big v8 instead :D
32K????? jesus Christ thats cheap. You know what they cost in Aus? about 60-70k!!

i just find V8's a little boring....they do sound good but a turbo sounds better :stick: i was going to say they eat less gas but i'm not sure if thats entirely true.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the turbos do sound nice, particularly with a little bit of tweaking and a different blow off valve.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Yep in Canada, it's 52k for an STI. I'll pick it up in the States for 32k lol.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
lol, luxury of a cruise control? The STI isn't some elite driving machine. It is fast but there isn't so much power in it that throwing out things like cruise control is a must. Remember that at 32-35k in the US there are much better choices for muscle if you add about 10k to your budget. Not to mention that you can easily add turbos to V8's too. Larger engines withstand abuse and use much better than highly tweaked smaller ones.

Even though they are all over, a Mustang GT provides a good amount of muscle for the price tag... Did Pontiac stop making the GTO?

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
STI's are basically street legal race/rally car. You would never be able to drive it to its full ability unless you were a professional. I dont think a V8 is a better engine then a turbo. Maybe more bhp but that doesn't mean more speed/handling. WHat can i say, im not a fan of V8's.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
if you wanna go fast for cheap a Mustang GT is def. the choice. The aftermarket is huge for them and relatively cheap to tune. Its not like an import where you slap on a mod and get 10hp, slap on the same mod on a Mustang and you get like 50hp lol. Im not a big fan of the Mustang and i do like imports but in reality it doesnt cost much to hit below 12s on the 1/4

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yes I know, but you save at least 15k in the end.. So it's worth it IMO.
Have you checked with the RIV and CBSA yet for your necessary documentation? I'm not aware whether or not the STI is produced exclusively domestically or not.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
Have you checked with the RIV and CBSA yet for your necessary documentation? I'm not aware whether or not the STI is produced exclusively domestically or not.
A friend of mine imports cars from the US I will check with him. He will help me out with all this paperwork.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I just picked up a Mazdaspeed 3 and couldnt be more happy with it. I cant believe there isnt more buzz around this car, but its great. 263HP/280 FT-LB Torque, climate control, Bose stereo, race tuned suspension (handling is amazing), 18" wheels (with good tires unlike a WRX), Xenon auto on/off head lights, dimming mirror, two tone leather sport seats, rain sensing wipers, cruise.... all the goodies. Basically its a practical car that still goes 0-60 in 5.8 seconds. Car and Driver clocked it at 5.6 seconds. Its FWD but for its 10 grand less than a STI. Most car mags are ranking 1st over every car in its class including the WRX. This car is fast, fun, fits 4 large people and can haul around plenty of cargo.

These arent my pictures, but the same car.

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
I just picked up a Mazdaspeed 3 and couldnt be more happy with it. I cant believe there isnt more buzz around this car, but its great. 263HP/280 FT-LB Torque, climate control, Bose stereo, race tuned suspension (handling is amazing), 18" wheels (with good tires unlike a WRX), Xenon auto on/off head lights, dimming mirror, two tone leather sport seats, rain sensing wipers, cruise.... all the goodies. Basically its a practical car that still goes 0-60 in 5.8 seconds. Car and Driver clocked it at 5.6 seconds. Its FWD but for its 10 grand less than a STI. Most car mags are ranking 1st over every car in its class including the WRX. This car is fast, fun, fits 4 large people and can haul around plenty of cargo.

These arent my pictures, but the same car.
thats a nice car man. so it only costs mid 20's? Mazdas are nice. I still like the old school RX7s although i here those rotaries incredibly unreliable.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
thats a nice car man. so it only costs mid 20's? Mazdas are nice. I still like the old school RX7s although i here those rotaries incredibly unreliable.
My car was 23,700.

I have heard the RX8s have problems. There must be some reason rotary engines arent popular.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
My car was 23,700.

I have heard the RX8s have problems. There must be some reason rotary engines arent popular.
Yeah, it's because the way the rotary works is that it has to be in a perfect circle to work flawlesly. Unfortunately, wear and tear causes major reparations on them..

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Oh and really nice car btw..
Thanks. I looked for a long time but I'm glad I got this car.

About BMW:

Well I dont completely agree with the picture although I do think too many people over pay for the BMW badge.

The new 335i looks sweet but its about 40K.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The only real issue I have with the Mazda 3 is their center console where the radio is. Other than that I think it's a great car.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I need to step down costwise for my next car (as new kid is on the way, and its wife's turn for a more expensive one) the mazda 3 could be a lot of fun. Even the 6 isn't bad pricewise. I just sort of hate to not buy an american car, but at this point some of the japanese cars are more american than GM. But comically ford now has higher initial quality than toyota or mercedes benz.....

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the g8 looks sweet too, its the australian holden commodore I believe if memory is correct. I love big sedans with beefy v-8s.

but out of my budget for next car, i'm trying to stick close to 20 for mine. wifes will be the nearer to 40 car this time around.

Minnesota

Minnesota

Awards
ok so possibly my last 2 cents here....For the luxury, power and price try the......Lexus ES 350

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
the g8 looks sweet too, its the australian holden commodore I believe if memory is correct. I love big sedans with beefy v-8s.

but out of my budget for next car, i'm trying to stick close to 20 for mine. wifes will be the nearer to 40 car this time around.
yeah 5.7L V8. Not bad value for money and the engine in that car is very fuel economic for a V8. The 2 door looks keewl

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I used an '08 Grand Prix as my rental car from when my car was wrecked to the point of when I got a new one.

It drove pretty good, but I'd never pay money for a pontiac.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you buy them slightly used you have a great car at an outstanding price. I got my grand prix for 7500 with all the additons and 34-35k miles on it when I got it. Bose stereo, leather seats, steering wheel mounted radio controls, dual climate control, heated seats, automatic headlights, dual exhaust etc.

They don't hold their value for **** but that doesn't mean they are bad cars.

jjohn

jjohn

Awards
  • Established
If you buy them slightly used you have a great car at an outstanding price. I got my grand prix for 7500 with all the additons and 34-35k miles on it when I got it. Bose stereo, leather seats, steering wheel mounted radio controls, dual climate control, heated seats, automatic headlights, dual exhaust etc.

At 7500 you can't lose bud.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

:rolleyes:

:p

I prefer to purchase used. Reason being, and this is not extended to all makes, after a certain amount of kilometers possible problems should have begun to manifest themselves (if there are any). All cars are notorious for certain issues (electrical with VW/Mercedes/BMW, for example) and they traditionally follow the 'bell curve' as it is referred to in sales. The 'bell curve' is what dictates the amount of time companies extend warranties on their products to. If a particular products has an 'x' day warranty, it is because it has a failure rate of near zero up until day 'x'. After that date, the failure rate increases exponentially, plateaus at that exponentially raised level for sometime, and slowly begins to regress to the smaller failure rate. I.e., a bell curve. Point being, if you do enough research into when issues begin to manifest themselves in particular models, you can put in the work to find an immaculately cared for used vehicle, which should have already run the course of any inherent malfunctions. Plus, insurance and payments are cheaper.

I just purchased (as I mentioned earlier) an immaculate 1998 Mercedes E320 with less than 90k on it with impressions barely made in the leather. Full service records in hand I am pretty confident this should last me a few years.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I differ in the way I purchase cars. mullet, your rational with statistics makes sense and may very well pan out, however, there is always exceptions to the rule and certain exceptions can be very costly in the long run.

My family has never bought a used car, and with the exception of my green car I had prior, I have never used a used car either. My whole reasoning is I prefer to have a new car because I know what condition it is in when I receieve it. We also too buy extended warrenties on our new vehicles just as 'added' insurance.

My girlfriend and her family is the complete opposite of me. They only buy used cars.

CNorris

CNorris

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I used an '08 Grand Prix as my rental car from when my car was wrecked to the point of when I got a new one.

It drove pretty good, but I'd never pay money for a pontiac.
I would never pay money for a Pontiac either. I abolutely HATE all Pontiacs. (excluding old GTOs maybe)

Its not that I think they are terrible quality cars, I just dont like the type of person the majority of Pontiacs are being driven by (*****es, sleezy salesmen and abercrombie douche bags).

The finned styling is what really bugs the hell out of me I think. If I got a Pontiac for free, I would have to sell and get a new car even if I lost money. I cant say that about any other type of car.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I differ in the way I purchase cars. mullet, your rational with statistics makes sense and may very well pan out, however, there is always exceptions to the rule and certain exceptions can be very costly in the long run.

My family has never bought a used car, and with the exception of my green car I had prior, I have never used a used car either. My whole reasoning is I prefer to have a new car because I know what condition it is in when I receieve it. We also too buy extended warrenties on our new vehicles just as 'added' insurance.

My girlfriend and her family is the complete opposite of me. They only buy used cars.

I see your point. However, I have warranty approved service records dating back ten years for every tire pressure check, oil change, tire rotation, and wiper fluid change the car has had. I know exactly what kind of condition it is in from both that source, as well as having two independent mechanics giving it the once over.

I would never buy a domestic car used-ever. However, and maybe this is my bias towards German-made cars, I feel very confident in purchasing a VW/Mercedes/some BMW used.

As well, it's all in the research. Look up the common problems for both the make and specific model of the car, see when they usually manifest themselves, reference that with the kilometers currently on your vehicle, and have a mechanic look for those specific issues. And if you cannot or do not receive complete service records for absolutely every thing which has been done on that vehicle, do not buy it. To tell you the truth, it took me about a month or two of looking hard to find a vehicle in this condition for this price, and with this amount of traceable history. But, for getting a Mercedes E320 for as cheap as I did, it's all worth it.

I could have payed the same price and bought a fvcking Pontiac Vibe.

Noooo.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
With anything you have a hit or miss probability. I've had brand new foreign and domestic vehicles with issues and used ones with none. It's takes some good luck and a lot of patience and homework on your part. In the end only you are paying the bill so get what makes you happy regardless of whatever reasoning you may use.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
With anything you have a hit or miss probability. I've had brand new foreign and domestic vehicles with issues and used ones with none. It's takes some good luck and a lot of patience and homework on your part. In the end only you are paying the bill so get what makes you happy regardless of whatever reasoning you may use.
Definitely agree. Whatever one can do to a) please yourself b) increase your probability of getting a quality car is what one should do.

I would still add that one could not pay me to pay for an already payed for domestic car.

:p

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
**** that, I don't hold any issues with any brand if it's a good deal. Buddy just bought a used vette for an unreal price. I'm not a vette guy but a deal is a deal regardless of the badge.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
**** that, I don't hold any issues with any brand if it's a good deal. Buddy just bought a used vette for an unreal price. I'm not a vette guy but a deal is a deal regardless of the badge.
I'm not too concerned with the badge, but the quality of the car under it. There is obviously exceptions to the rule, but in general terms, I would not. Paying any amount of money for a piece of **** is not a good deal.

Not saying Vettes are pieces of ****, I actually like them and would pay for one. But you get my point.