What Are Exogenous Ketones? Do They Work?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

1. What are exogenous ketones?

I read about ketone salts and esters.

2. Do they actually work at getting someone into ketosis faster?

3. Again, in my own experience, it's near impossible for me to get into ketosis. Even eating zero carbs, as in not even green vegetables, it takes me 6 days of no carbs, at least measured by Ketostix.

4. I would pay a lot of money to be able to get into ketosis immediately.

Then, I could easily switch between 3 days of no carbs, followed by one day of only protein + carbs (no lipids), then back again.

Then, 3 days of fat loss followed by 1 day of building.

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I’ve heard people swear by them and people say they don’t work. I think it depends on your body and how you react.

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Thanks. Is there any high-quality research or data that shows if its true?

Kronic

Kronic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
you'll have to test yourself and measure ketone response, but Dr Rhonda Patrick found that it gives her a short temporary ketone spike. a similar alternative option is MCT oil. when people can't get into ketosis they usually aren't eating enough fat.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
As far as what they are, it’s just like ketones your body would make. They’re just bound to minerals to make salts to stabilize them, as far as I know.

Some people have claimed they can get you to ketosis faster, but I doubt that’s the case. You’ll read higher on a ketone test because you just supplied more ketones, not because your body is suddenly making more.

One idea is that by supplying the ketones, you shift your metabolism toward burning ketones, but I don’t know if that would necessarily lead to your body also making more. Maybe. But I haven’t looked into that to be honest.

To me, the biggest benefit would be while you’re trying to transition to ketosis. As you restrict your carbs, you’re no longer getting that source of fuel. But there’s a period before your body makes its own ketones. If you take a ketone supplement, you’ll be supplying a fuel source to help power through that transition phase.

They can also be useful as a general fuel source. I’ve heard of people who aren’t even trying to do keto using them before training, for example, so they have carbs and ketones for fuel. Sounds nice, but I haven’t tried it. They’re usually pretty pricey, so I’ve never played with any.