Exogenous hormones after hair transplant

Project223

Project223

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I'm considering having a hair transplant. It's a big commitment and costs way too much money, I know, but still seems worth it to me at this point in my life. I'm approaching 40, and while not having hair the rest of my life won't break me, I'd rather have it than not.
My question is: if prior use of exogenous hormones started or at least sped up my hair loss, will future cycles do the same to my transplanted hair? I can't find a satisfying answer one way or the other; I couldn't even get a hair surgeon to give me a straight answer.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Im not positive if it can make the new hair fall out but i do know all the Pre existing ones can keep on falling out and there's going to be a significant amount of them.

So, even if the newly transplanted hair can't fall out, all of the other hair that was yours that wasnt from the transplant Could fall out. Get what i'm saying?

By the way, I completely agree with people who decide to get a transplant if they dont wqnna be bald. I'm lucky so far and I don't think I'll ever need one. But if my hair starts falling out i'm getting one! My head's not shaped for baldness lol

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
^
This is correct, new ones are safe; old are not, but only in the places where you suffer MPB from. So basically, if you had your entire crown (if you suffered MPB only there) replaced, you shouldn’t have further hair loss if you were to hop back on exogenous hormones

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Im not positive if it can make the new hair fall out but i do know all the Pre existing ones can keep on falling out and there's going to be a significant amount of them.

So, even if the newly transplanted hair can't fall out, all of the other hair that was yours that wasnt from the transplant Could fall out. Get what i'm saying?

By the way, I completely agree with people who decide to get a transplant if they dont wqnna be bald. I'm lucky so far and I don't think I'll ever need one. But if my hair starts falling out i'm getting one! My head's not shaped for baldness lol
This is pretty much correct. Any transplanted hair will not fall out. It's 100% safe from falling out from any hormones. But the other hair that is still shedding can and will fall out. However, you still have hair on your head that is not susceptible to falling out. That is why you never see someone with MPB who is fully bald unless they shave their head. They still have hair in the back, the sides, and some even keep hair on top of their head. Everyone is different, so we can't really tell you how extensive your hair loss will be in the future. But this is the reason someone might get another hair transplant 5, 10, or 15 years down the line again.

Although in that time who knows what kind of advancements they will have for hair loss and hair transplants. I've heard that they are already transplanting body hair. By then they might even be able to duplicate the follicles and transplant unlimited hair. There is just too much money in it for there not to be further advancements.

In the meantime, following the hair transplant, I would get on minoxidil, finasteride, or both to slow down the shedding of the existing hair.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have two friends that got transplants and I will say, it's pretty damn incredible to me. It literally starts growing the second day and now they have a crazy amount of hair. The one thing that is interesting is that it isn't changing color or greying.

That being said, one of them isn't taking anything and was told he didn't need to. The other was told he had to continue taking finasteride or the transplanted hair would fall out eventually. Not sure what is true because I've read both.

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I have two friends that got transplants and I will say, it's pretty damn incredible to me. It literally starts growing the second day and now they have a crazy amount of hair. The one thing that is interesting is that it isn't changing color or greying.

That being said, one of them isn't taking anything and was told he didn't need to. The other was told he had to continue taking finasteride or the transplanted hair would fall out eventually. Not sure what is true because I've read both.
Yeah it is pretty remarkable what they're able to do. It's nothing like the plugs they did years back. I will say, recovery seems to vary for some people. I had a friend FaceTime me 2 days after his procedure and I couldn't even tell he had the procedure done until he actually took the camera directly over the front of his scalp. And even then it wasn't that noticeable.

As far as taking anything, whoever told them they needed to take finasteride or the transplanted hair would fall out is 100% wrong. The transplanted hairs are taken from areas that are invulnerable from falling out, which means finasteride does nothing to protect the transplanted hairs because they are never susceptible to MPB. Having said that, it's usually recommended to take finasteride, minoxidil, or both to keep the vulnerable hair in place for a longer period of time to avoid or delay a second hair transplant procedure. But once the follicles are transplanted, they are protected for life.

Mattgainz69

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Looking into getting a transplant but the thought of being on fin for rest of life seems awful. I feel like it makes me less aggressive/ alpha if that makes sense.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Looking into getting a transplant but the thought of being on fin for rest of life seems awful. I feel like it makes me less aggressive/ alpha if that makes sense.
Well yeah, it works by lowering DHT. That's essentially the hormone that makes us feel good (and the nice aggressiveness).

I've been on topical Fin/min for the last 2 years and it's worked great, but even topical goes systemic, just to a lesser extent than oral. I've read some doctors saying it doesn't and they are simply quacks because it 100% does affect overall DHT levels, not just in the follicles. I've noticed a reduced libido to some extent, but nothing drastic- if anything it actually allows me to concentrate where I need to, LOL. Everything else has been fine, no brain fog or other issues.

That being said, I would look at a hair transplant at some point because I love having a full head of hair and would prefer not to be on fin for the rest of my life.