Uganda, a stand against homosexuality? Death penalty introduced.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
by the same logic cannibalism could be suggested to be natural as well :) The urges may be natural but a conscious act of acting on them or not is what separates us from the animals. Its a natural for a larger male to beat up or kill a smaller male to take his mate in the animal world, would that somehow be appropriate in the human world because its common in nature?
This requires a moral judgement that, in fact, homosexuality is wrong. Murder and cannibalism can be objectively shown to be wrong and entirely destructive to society, whereas the same cannot be demonstrated (in spite of the insanity spewed) that the world is falling into "sin".

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This requires a moral judgement that, in fact, homosexuality is wrong. Murder and cannibalism can be objectively shown to be wrong and entirely destructive to society, whereas the same cannot be demonstrated (in spite of the insanity spewed) that the world is falling into "sin".
How does eating of flesh of a person who died other than by murder qualify as objectively being destructive to society? Or that destruction of imperfectly born newborns is objectively harmful? Just about anything that deals in trying to define whether something is destructive to society or not still depends on the definition of the society itself. Marriage could be considered to be destructive to an individual society depending on the society itself.

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
Original intentions were for man and woman to reproduce. Man and man cannot reproduce, so I guess the question is (keeping evolution in mind) is it fair to say that a homosexual man is a defect so to speak? I don't intend for this comment to be a dergatory comment, I'm just trying to see if it sheds any light on the "it's a choice" vs. "born with homosexuality" debate.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
No, not wrong per say, but certain atypical. No? It has nothing to do with "sin" in and of itself, since a sin standard is pretty subjective from person to person, but the practice is abnormal at the least.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Original intentions were for man and woman to reproduce. Man and man cannot reproduce, so I guess the question is (keeping evolution in mind) is it fair to say that a homosexual man is a defect so to speak? I don't intend for this comment to be a dergatory comment, I'm just trying to see if it sheds any light on the "it's a choice" vs. "born with homosexuality" debate.
I see it like any natural sigmoid curve, homos are just on the fringes of sexual behavior, and not at the pinnacle of the evolution of the species. It's were they have certainly always been throughout time, otherwise we'd all be budding to replicate ourselves by now. :)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just wanted to insert that I don't in any way agree with uganda's decision, or even the basic premise of treating people's privately performed sexual acts as societally relevant at all, but I do support that each society has the right to define what individuals in that society have a right to do. There are no objective/universal pieces of morality just as there are no objective/universal rights of any creature whether man or other.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I just wanted to insert that I don't in any way agree with uganda's decision, or even the basic premise of treating people's privately performed sexual acts as societally relevant at all, but I do support that each society has the right to define what individuals in that society have a right to do. There are no objective/universal pieces of morality just as there are no objective/universal rights of any creature whether man or other.
Good answer! You are a wise man EZ.

I would like to go one step further, and propose that all hot lesbians (only hot ones) not be punished, yet in fact be given extra special privileges for public displays of affection! This can help compensate and balance the injustice for those poor gay men being persecuted in Uganda. :D

Seriously though, this is really a dead issue, since we don't live in Uganda and have no background to properly judge their governmental protocols. We have enough issues of our own we could be debating.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established

Like the use of STEROIDS and questionable supplements?!?!

Ok, goodnight folks. Board is closed.:suspect:

rubberring

rubberring

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
...just as there are no objective/universal rights of any creature whether man or other.
So, you don't subscribe to the idea of inalienable rights to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?"

(Real question. Not being argumentative.)

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So, you don't subscribe to the idea of inalienable rights to "life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness?"

(Real question. Not being argumentative.)
They are only "inalienable" rights because our society has defined them that way. If they were truly inalienable then no society would or could have ever existed without them, which isn't the case. I prefer those being treated as rights, but don't see them as universal truths or even necessarily required for a society to survive or thrive. How many thousands of years did egyptian society survive without those rights? Far longer than the US has so far.

Even without our society, the right to life is violated both by death sentences as well as 3rd trimester abortions. So obviously not inalienable even here. And although abortions weren't common at all during the time period when the bill of rights and constitution were written, the death penalty surely was.

The reason I specifically mention 3rd trimester abortions is that we now have the ability to deliver premature babies pretty successfully as early as 22 weeks into pregnancy (Florida gives a death certificate for miscarriages after week 20) so any abortions after that point are taking away the right to life of an organism that could survive outside of the mothers body. I don't mind the idea of abortions earlier than that, as up till that point the child is not capable of being delivered and surviving so it really is more of a parasite or part of the mothers body. After that point however it no longer is either a parasite or a part of the mothers body, but a living person who could be breathing the air and being fed via a bottle.

Lacradocious

Lacradocious

Awards
  • Established
Its pretty obvious that the ballooning in the last 20 years of lesbians is partially due to the encouragement by the media and young girls questioning that since they don't at 13 or 14 find any boys attractive that maybe they are lesbians. Not very different than blaming eating disorders on skinny models :)
I'm not convinced it's ballooning. I think they just make it more obvious because society isn't as socially conservative here like it used to be. Some women I think are conditioned to be lesbians by society because no man would ever consider having sex with them let alone marry them. Rosie O'donnel is an example that comes to mind.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I'm not convinced it's ballooning. I think they just make it more obvious because society isn't as socially conservative here like it used to be. Some women I think are conditioned to be lesbians by society because no man would ever consider having sex with them let alone marry them. Rosie O'donnel is an example that comes to mind.
Excellent point. People are scripted from childhood and very, very few ever break free of that imprinting. Some will have it made because their parents, siblings and environment/society programmed them well at just the right times of development. Others will be screwed for life, no matter how you try to free them, destined to be born losers, or "victims of society" as they see themselves. From my observations, it's a common position of gays and lesbians to have this kind of tragic script. The deep pain and overt contempt for social convention often indicates alcoholic parental origins, and they try to pass it off on anybody with a seemingly complementary role too play. You see, there can be no victim without a persecutor and a rescuer, it's a three-handed drama triangle in the Victim Game.

This personal slavery is unknown to most people, who live out their scripts confused and oblivious to it's insidious influence. Human life is mainly a process of filling time until the arrival of death, with little if any perceived choice of what kind of business to transact during the long wait. After all, they were "just born that way", don't you hear that a lot these days? :rolleyes: But for some fortunate souls, there is something that transcends all these games and self-defeating behaviors, something that rises above the programming in the past, and something more rewarding than the the trivial games they enjoys playing. It's called intimacy, but it is dangerous, so people seek social circles because there is safety in numbers you know, and their losing roles solidify that much more with a losing script payoff. This may mean there is no hope for the human race, but there is certainly hope for individual members of it who finally reject their fears and embrace true autonomy.

omni

omni

Awards
  • Established
The only people i've known with aids is my gay uncle, a guy who had gay sex for drugs and a kid born with it because his father was bisexual. If being gay was exclusively genetic, it would eventually go away. It obviously isn't. I try to be a tolerant person and don't care what people do behind closed doors but I hate the gay agenda being shoved in my face everyday. I like living in a free country, thats what we fought for but, I wish all the gays would move to Uganda.

lutherblsstt

but I do support that each society has the right to define what individuals in that society have a right to do. There are no objective/universal pieces of morality just as there are no objective/universal rights of any creature whether man or other.
Now that I can agree with!

wannabeBIG

Awards
Silly ***gots ****s are for chicks..

Simple remedy for the "issue" at hand.. If your gay don't go there.. Just like if your muslim don't go to Australia and try to press your beliefs.. This political correctness **** is the reason why our country has gone to ****s.

AtlasEnduring

AtlasEnduring

Banned
Awards
Silly ***gots ****s are for chicks..

Simple remedy for the "issue" at hand.. If your gay don't go there.. Just like if your muslim don't go to Australia and try to press your beliefs.. This political correctness **** is the reason why our country has gone to ****s.
Yes, muslims should have nowhere near the standing they do here.

Example. A man I know is christian, walked into a chase bank that had a "no hat" policy. A muslim girl walked in same time with her hood up, he was wearing a ball cap. Guess who got asked to take off their hat? And who wasnt asked?

He looked over at the muslim and said "Do you really want to go there"

Then commented "I know this bank was started based on Godly princibles, so I will pray for it to regain its self respect."

Well he stood to the side when she was going to make him take it off or not do the transaction, and this was for church money for the church account.

He steps 3 feet over, starts praying out loud in the middle of the bank holding up the line and everything. And he said he would pray until he could do his banking, or the news people show up.

She eventually told him just to come over and hurry it up, and yet...low and behold there was a 100 dollar bonus added to the deposit for being a "preferred customer" hahaha.

muslims here, may be mostly normal people, but like gays they are given special privileges that are in no way earned.

Equality is what were supposed to be about.

I dont like being around them, they show no respect.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
I dont like being around them, they show no respect.
That is plain ignorant. Not all Muslims are like that, especially in other countries. There are americanized ones (I find many Americans rude and disrespectful, but not all of them) and there are extremists but there are also loving family oriented ones that are very respectful.
I am not a Muslim BTW lol, but I know many people of varied faiths. The rudest ones actually I have found have been hardcore fundamentalist Christians and hardcore Evolutionists. They have more in common than they think.
If you want to blame people for the state of all this PC bs..blame the media and propagandists in the world. They are paid gossipers and Kaniver's.

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
That is plain ignorant. Not all Muslims are like that, especially in other countries. There are americanized ones (I find many Americans rude and disrespectful, but not all of them) and there are extremists but there are also loving family oriented ones that are very respectful.
I am not a Muslim BTW lol, but I know many people of varied faiths. The rudest ones actually I have found have been hardcore fundamentalist Christians and hardcore Evolutionists. They have more in common than they think.
If you want to blame people for the state of all this PC bs..blame the media and propagandists in the world. They are paid gossipers and Kaniver's.

This is a good statement. However as an American and a human, I find it hard not to hold a prejudice against the "muslim" looking people. The type you see in your local gas station, the type you see normally assosciated with extremist activety etc. After the past couple decades of perhaps terrorism, for a lack of a better word, that they have been assosciated with, the killing of our men and women both here and over in the middle east has given me a very bad taste in my mouth so to speak. In my head I suppose I know it's not right, and many of them are just trying to live. But morraly/personally I frankly do not like them and that's just the fact of the matter.

In all fairness tho, I'm prejudice against all people. I really don't like anybody. Just some people more than others.

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
This is a good statement. However as an American and a human, I find it hard not to hold a prejudice against the "muslim" looking people. The type you see in your local gas station, the type you see normally assosciated with extremist activety etc. After the past couple decades of perhaps terrorism, for a lack of a better word, that they have been assosciated with, the killing of our men and women both here and over in the middle east has given me a very bad taste in my mouth so to speak. In my head I suppose I know it's not right, and many of them are just trying to live. But morraly/personally I frankly do not like them and that's just the fact of the matter.
Well personally I think you should read the book "1984". Then compare it to the current state of affairs (Goldstein=Bin Laden). You are not supposed to like a people you are at war with, even if it is not their entire culture. If you are afraid,hateful and prejudiced, you are easy to control. Easy to incite.Easy to get along with if a problem is blamed on an opposing force/religion/people.

If I was you, I might also save up some money and travel around the world to see what it truly is and not what you are told/think it is. Muslims in particular will surprise you with their generosity, and unselfishness in looking after a visitor. They would give you their last morsel of food to look after you before themselves. Experience defeats all stereotypes.

In all fairness tho, I'm prejudice against all people. I really don't like anybody. Just some people more than others.
I kind of have that motto the more people I meet the more I like my dog lol...looking at where the world is headed, it is easy to make an island around yourself and shoot at anyone coming close. We are both on a forum conversing with people though...so it's not time to move into a unibombereqsue hermit shack haha.

Harry Manback

Harry Manback

Awards
  • Established
If I was you, I might also save up some money and travel around the world to see what it truly is; Experience defeats all stereotypes.
Agreed. I can't honestly base a true assesment on the culture/people until I have "lived a day in thier shoes". But as a human, we have emotion and feelings that are at times unable to be controlled, and at this point in my life is how I feel. I have momentary lapses in reason where I accept all, but unfortunately once my brain realises what's going on, it filters out the good.

You make an excellent point as to it being easy to dislike who we are at war with etc. I think that may be partially why I have a dislike for many minorities here in this country alone (altho as a white male in America, I am soon headed to become the minority), with affirmative action, rights "just because", free passes (i.e. taking advantage of wellfare) etc. All these things effect me more directly than the current war. There is no such thing as "fair" and as far as I'm concerned, racism will never die. I use the term racism somewhat loosely. I do not mean hatred just because of a skin color, as that can not be helped, more so I am proud to be what I am and I will do what I can to help my kind and my cause. Just like every other culture does. And as a white male, I should not be looked down upon for doing so.

I have started to go out of context with the last paragraph, but I hope you see the correlation.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sadly, the bolded also refers to many posts (not yours) in this thread. I feel I have lost several brain cells as a result of this drivel

AtlasEnduring

AtlasEnduring

Banned
Awards
My statement was....well poorly stated.

I did not say I hated em lol. I know of some good ones, but I just dont like working with them often though most of the ones I have worked with are from Africa. They really cant do certain jobs(really, I dont mean offense by this) and it causes headaches for some of us who have to work with them who have to fix, or correct them every 10 minutes and they make vague excuses to miss work often for extended periods of time(not the normal "oh I'm sick" routine). But truly it is likely a lack of any education from their country, or a poor one. Their math is atrocious, and they cant see things we can. This is why I do realize its more their location of origin and not a faith thing, but I kinda throw those together. 90% of the muslims i know speak french.

I guess its less muslims and more African immigrants to be proper, but every one of them I have met were Muslim and have had bad worth ethic and a lack of moral values. Though I know the other faiths abide there.

Generalized too many people into one category, I apologize for that. I do disagree with their faith however. But their "representatives" dont represent them very well, My views come from their actions.

EDIT: oh and I truly do hate media, I dont watch the news. I dont want to hear about how many innocent people were murdered by some crackhead, and about bull crap agendas and politics. Things are sad enough as it is.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
My statement was....well poorly stated.

I did not say I hated em lol. I know of some good ones, but I just dont like working with them often though most of the ones I have worked with are from Africa. They really cant do certain jobs(really, I dont mean offense by this) and it causes headaches for some of us who have to work with them who have to fix, or correct them every 10 minutes and they make vague excuses to miss work often for extended periods of time(not the normal "oh I'm sick" routine). But truly it is likely a lack of any education from their country, or a poor one. Their math is atrocious, and they cant see things we can. This is why I do realize its more their location of origin and not a faith thing, but I kinda throw those together. 90% of the muslims i know speak french.

I guess its less muslims and more African immigrants to be proper, but every one of them I have met were Muslim and have had bad worth ethic and a lack of moral values. Though I know the other faiths abide there.

Generalized too many people into one category, I apologize for that. I do disagree with their faith however. But their "representatives" dont represent them very well, My views come from their actions.

EDIT: oh and I truly do hate media, I dont watch the news. I dont want to hear about how many innocent people were murdered by some crackhead, and about bull crap agendas and politics. Things are sad enough as it is.
One of the worst trends we in the West harbour is our tendency to revel in our own personal uniqueness, while considering any and all "Other" cultures to be sufficiently monolithic such that any one representative or small set of representatives can accurately portray that culture. Let me put the issue forward this way:

If an individual moved from another country to, say, a rural-mountain village in Appalachia, do you feel they would be justified in broadly characterizing all "Americans" based on their experiences there? Certainly, the mountain folk there look American, they have the same religion as most Americans, they speak like Americans, so it ought to be reasonable that immigrants to this country could use them as a rubric for all Americans, correct? The answer here is obviously, "No." So why is it or should it be any different when applying this rubric to another region, religion, etc?

You qualified your previous statements, so I am not attacking you in particular - just putting forward a thought.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
... So why is it or should it be any different when applying this rubric to another region, religion, etc?

You qualified your previous statements, so I am not attacking you in particular - just putting forward a thought.
If that's all the exposure you have regarding said culture, then what other rubric are you talking about applying? Some specialized rubric to estimate how you think it might be over the next hill? That's absurd. You trying to extrapolate judgment on another culture, like you have some special insight in the absence of experience, is the exact trend you criticized in the first place.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If that's all the exposure you have regarding said culture, then what other rubric are you talking about applying? Some specialized rubric to estimate how you think it might be over the next hill?
Your example would be adequate only in the case that three things are assumed within it.

First, that the person applying the judgment experienced that particular culture in vacuo, and as a consequence, was abstracted away from all other means of receiving knowledge about that culture prior to experiencing it. If we were speaking about a small tribal village in Papa New Guinea, your point is well made, most certainly.

Second, and related to the above, all possible knowledge of a given culture would need to come a posteriori by necessity, as you are apparently excluding all other avenues of obtaining information about a given culture and making a judgment thereon. Again, if we are speaking about a small tribal village in Papa New Guinea with no access to media forms, your point is well made.

Third, and most importantly, your example only holds true in the case that the individual engaging in the judgment was completely incapable of applying basic reasoning to avoid a fallacy of composition. It is a basic, intuitively valid component of abstract reason that what is true of the individual constituents is not necessarily true of the whole.

In your example, despite the fact that my experience is limited to the people on this side of the hill, it is entirely possible and moreover probable that I have and/or am able to obtain knowledge about people on that side of the hill - at least to the point where I could conclude that, low and behold, not all people are the same! And again, this is assuming I am unable to develop that incredibly basic component of logic on my own.

Now, none of these are the case in this particular discussion, and so your argument holds no weight. More on this below.

You trying to extrapolate judgment on another culture, like you have some special insight in the absence of experience, is the exact trend you criticized in the first place.
Not at all, D. I am suggesting abstention from making a judgment in such cases where sufficient knowledge has not been obtained to substantiation it: or in other words, I'm saying the precise opposite of what you claim. In the example above, I obtained enough knowledge about people on the other side of the hill to realize I was unable to make any type of judgment about them whatsoever.

And so, I'm not criticizing anybody for forming a particular judgment, about particular Muslims, just so long as the judgment is contained in the context of their direct experience. See, that is how a posteriori knowledge works, D: one gains knowledge about a particular object through direct experience and is therefore able to apply that highly individuated knowledge to similar experiences with said objects.

In the case of categorically defined objects - that is, objects which by definition have only certain characteristics, and are something else entirely if they lack those characteristics - we are able to apply that a posteriori knowledge to scenarios beyond the scope of our experience. Again, this is intuitively valid, as a square is by definition always a square, and we are therefore able to say, "1 square = all squares." With people, not so much.

If I meet a Muslim from Morocco, and he's an *******, I am unable to mold that experience into any other truth claim beyond, "This particular Muslim is an *******." Now, if I met a large sample of Muslims from Morocco and conversed with them thoroughly enough to form an opinion about their individual personalities, I would in that case be able to make a reasonable judgment about most and/or all Muslims from Morocco being *******s without committing a fallacy of composition. This is commonly called, "evidence" and/or "justification."

Alternatively - and keeping with my sticky little notion of knowledge coming from other avenues than experiencing an object directly - if one studied the tenets of all the separate derivations of Islam, studied the Qu'ran, and studied the cultures in which Islam is predominantly expressed in order to abstract away from behavioral tendencies which are geographically influenced, they would have sufficient justification for making a statement about the religion of Islam.

See, my "special" rubric is intuitively valid logic, D. :)

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
Your example would be adequate only in the case that three things are assumed within it.

First, that the person applying the judgment experienced that particular culture in vacuo, and as a consequence, was abstracted away from all other means of receiving knowledge about that culture prior to experiencing it. If we were speaking about a small tribal village in Papa New Guinea, your point is well made, most certainly.

Second, and related to the above, all possible knowledge of a given culture would need to come a posteriori by necessity, as you are apparently excluding all other avenues of obtaining information about a given culture and making a judgment thereon. Again, if we are speaking about a small tribal village in Papa New Guinea with no access to media forms, your point is well made.

Third, and most importantly, your example only holds true in the case that the individual engaging in the judgment was completely incapable of applying basic reasoning to avoid a fallacy of composition. It is a basic, intuitively valid component of abstract reason that what is true of the individual constituents is not necessarily true of the whole.

In your example, despite the fact that my experience is limited to the people on this side of the hill, it is entirely possible and moreover probable that I have and/or am able to obtain knowledge about people on that side of the hill - at least to the point where I could conclude that, low and behold, not all people are the same! And again, this is assuming I am unable to develop that incredibly basic component of logic on my own.

Now, none of these are the case in this particular discussion, and so your argument holds no weight. More on this below.

Not at all, D. I am suggesting abstention from making a judgment in such cases where sufficient knowledge has not been obtained to substantiation it: or in other words, I'm saying the precise opposite of what you claim. In the example above, I obtained enough knowledge about people on the other side of the hill to realize I was unable to make any type of judgment about them whatsoever.

I'm not criticizing anybody for forming a particular judgment, about particular Muslims, just so long as the judgment is contained in the context of their direct experience. See, that is how a posteriori knowledge works, D: one gains knowledge about a particular object through direct experience and is therefore able to apply that highly individuated knowledge to similar experiences with said objects.

In the case of categorically defined objects - that is, objects which by definition have only certain characteristics, and are something else entirely if they lack those characteristics - we are able to apply that a posteriori knowledge to scenarios beyond the scope of our experience. Again, this is intuitively valid, as a square is by definition always a square, and we are therefore able to say, "1 square = all squares." With people, not so much.

If I meet a Muslim from Morocco, and he's an *******, I am unable to mold that experience into any other truth claim beyond, "This particular Muslim is an *******." Now, if I met a large sample of Muslims from Morocco and conversed with them thoroughly enough to form an opinion about their individual personalities, I would in that case be able to make a reasonable judgment about most and/or all Muslims from Morocco being *******s without committing a fallacy of composition. This is commonly called, "evidence" and/or "justification."

Alternatively - and keeping with my sticky little notion of knowledge coming from other avenues than experiencing an object directly - if one studied the tenets of all the separate derivations of Islam, studied the Qu'ran, and studied the cultures in which Islam is predominantly expressed in order to abstract away from behavioral tendencies which are geographically influenced, they would have sufficient justification for making a statement about the religion of Islam.

See, my "special" rubric is intuitively valid logic, D. :)
Ahh, then we have some fundamental differences of opinion regarding information integration and application, which brings us to different philosophical conclusions. It is my observation that a priori is the most you could possibly claim in this case. And with such a heavy dependence on information supplied by media sources, the integrity of such a construct is quite dubious IMO. Without a posteriori, all you can really hope to achieve is an insight based on a pretext. This is not the same as legitimate intuition, though you may "feel" you can trust it, you necessarily cannot (though you may find great conventional understanding of basic and diverse topics which you can later apply to personal extrapolations.)

The problem arises from the struggle itself. A group such as homosexuals feel repressed, so they abandon the struggle for "equality" and go all the way left in order to counter the strong forces that have gone all the way right to oppose them. Like a tug of war. The truth gets abandoned somewhere in the middle to stand alone, stretched and distorted, with no objective defenders. That, sir, is how the rubric has gotten contaminated. Equality is no longer the struggle, truth is compromised for the sake of winning some agenda, and my rights becomes the new battle cry replacing equality for all. I have no regard for either extreme, for it would likely skew my rubric if I did. Perhaps your rubric has be contaminated in a similar fashion, without you really noticing? Indeed, that is the most insidious form of self-deception.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ahh, then we have some fundamental differences of opinion regarding information integration and application, which brings us to different philosophical conclusions. It is my observation that a priori is the most you could possibly claim in this case. And with such a heavy dependence on information supplied by media sources, the integrity of such a construct is quite dubious IMO. Without a posteriori, all you can really hope to achieve is an insight based on a pretext. This is not the same as legitimate intuition, though you may "feel" you can trust it, you necessarily cannot (though you may find great conventional understanding of basic and diverse topics which you can later apply to personal extrapolations.)
No, for the most part we agree, and that is my point! Definite truth claims are only valid in such cases where the object involved in the judicative act is categorically defined - in all other cases, truth claims are necessarily tempered with the qualifying statement, "I believe."

In dealing with social interaction, categorical truth claims are limited in scope, and apply only to general characteristics such as, "A Muslim is a Muslim," and nothing more. The issue is that social interaction and the judgments formed thereby necessitate a peculiar combination of both a priori and a posteriori knowledge that is incredibly difficult to obtain, and thereby renders most statements about people as blatantly subjective at best.

For example, in our hill scenario, I can obtain information about their culture vis-a-vis legitimate channels (academic sources, perhaps), but this allows me to make judgments only about the people in the general abstract, and not as such. Conversely, directly interacting with the people on either side of the hill allows me only to make judgments about those people in the particular abstract, and again, not as such. This is why the social sciences are a sticky place!

The problem arises from the struggle itself. A group such as homosexuals feel repressed, so they abandon the struggle for "equality" and go all the way left in order to counter the strong forces that have gone all the way right to oppose them.
I completely agree. More than you know, in fact, ha! (The vegans in my Undergraduate program were fascists.)

Like a tug of war. The truth gets abandoned somewhere in the middle to stand alone, stretched and distorted, with no objective defenders. That, sir, is how the rubric has gotten contaminated. Equality is no longer the struggle, truth is compromised for the sake of winning some agenda, and my rights becomes the new battle cry replacing equality for all. I have no regard for either extreme, for it would likely skew my rubric if I did. Perhaps your rubric has be contaminated in a similar fashion, without you really noticing? Indeed, that is the most insidious form of self-deception.
I again agree, but would counter my rubric has not been contaminated - which is precisely why I suggested abstention from judgment in these instances!

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
... I again agree, but would counter my rubric has not been contaminated - which is precisely why I suggested abstention from judgment in these instances!
Then it seems we are in agreement after all! Even now, it may feel emotionally absurd in this case, but abstention from judgment is appropriate. It's far too easy to make a gross error in the absence of an extensive empirical background. I have made that mistake at times, with all good intentions, nevertheless realizing later I actually betrayed the principle I thought I was serving. It's simply not possible to derive just results by unjust means, no matter how right it "feels". Do you ever watch Whale Wars? lol

purebred

I'm all for people doing whatever the f-they want as long as they keep it behind closed doors. Homosexuals in America have become progressively braver and adopted a defiant, self-righteous attitude.

Do what you do just don't ever try to tell me the wrong is right or that the sky is green.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I'm all for people doing whatever the f-they want as long as they keep it behind closed doors. Homosexuals in America have become progressively braver and adopted a defiant, self-righteous attitude.

Do what you do just don't ever try to tell me the wrong is right or that the sky is green.
Your signature statement epitomizes my point exactly.