Trying to get serious about o lifting

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
for what its worth I think snatch helped grow my OHP as well.
also if you're shy a bench, maybe floor press as a substitute for bench press.
Floor press would be a great alternative, I agree!

Balthazar

Awards
yeah probably once i start putting together a set of jerk blocks i can stage it on those

Balthazar

Awards
1/8/16

Front Squat-Strength
((165x5)(185x3)(205x3))x2

Power Snatch
85x5
105x5
125x5

Power Clean
135x5
155x5
175x5

SGDL + Touch&Go Snatch
115x3
135x2
155x2

Clean + Hang Clean x3
135x2
155x2
175x1- wanted to try 2 here but honestly it was a question of endurance more than strength, i probably could've but decided against it.

Jerk
135x5
155x5
175x4 disappointed here

Klokov Press
(85x8)x3

Well technically today was my rest day but it's suppose to rain and sleet starting tomorrow morning and through the day, it sucks having to plan around the weather. I lifted early in the morning the last time so technically it's been a day and a half rather than one day. Today is the day that I deviate from the DUP setup and add in some more o lift variations, although I continue to do front squat so that I can have a weekly linear progression with that. Some stuff felt easy, other stuff not so much. It might take me a little while to figure out how much I can push the o lifts while primarily focusing on improving at the assistance lifts.

Balthazar

Awards
1/10/16

Front Squat - Hypertrophy
(155x8)x5

OHP - Strength
((95x5)(105x5)(115x5))x2

SGDL - Power
(175x3)x5

Snatch
105x5
125x5
145x5

Clean + Jerk
145x3
165x3
185x3

BO Row
(135x8)x3

CG OHP
(85x8)x3

Pretty solid day today. Definitely still not used to sets of 8, the weight for front squat moved pretty fast for every set but doing those additional reps each set was still more than I wanted to do lol. I was able to go up in weight at the olympic lifts and it felt pretty good. It was honestly a question of muscular endurance as my legs aren't used to the 40 repetitions of front squat before attempting snatch or c+j. I also made an adjustment for my jerk, I've concluded that I need to dip lower in order to generate more hip drive. It felt better but I'll need a lot more practice to get used to it.

Balthazar

Awards
1/12/16

Front Squat - Strength
((145x5)(165x5)(185x5))x2

OHP - Power
(85x3)x5

SG SLDL - Hypertrophy
(175x8)x5

Snatch
125x5
145x3
165x3

Clean + Jerk
165x3
185x2
205x2

Push Press
(145x5)x3

BO Row
(135x8)x3

Pretty good day today, actually handled some comparable weight for the o lifts to what I had been doing so that felt good. Really wanted to jump up in weight for this round but am being patient. I think that I'll cycle through twice in a row before testing out at squat to begin with. Once I'm caught up with where I had been then I'll probably do it once a month. Hit everything I wanted to, form was rough on one of the jerks at 205 but I'm still pretty novice at the split jerk.

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
Have you thought about posting some vids? I'd love to see some of your lifts!

Balthazar

Awards
sometime soon, i have an archaic phone so the only one with a device capable is the wifey, i guess i'll either have to get her to film it or set it up on my own soon

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I may have an old iPhone 4s lying around I could erase and send you for the purposes of videoing, or whatever.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do have a spare. It's just sitting in my drawer. If you want it, Pm me your addy

Balthazar

Awards
you sir are a fine gentleman!

Balthazar

Awards
1/14/16

Front Squat - Power
(155x3)x5

OHP - Hypertrophy
(85x8)x5

SG SLDL - Strength
((165x5)(185x5)(205x5))x2

Snatch + Hang Snatchx3
115x1
135x1
155x1

Clean Grip DL + Touch&Go CLean + Split Jerk x2 L,R
155x1
175x1
195x1

CG OHP
(85x8)x3

Snatch Grip BO Row
(105x8)x3

A good day. The only thing disappointing was one of my jerks for the last set of that complex. For some reason I'm a lot more confident going into the split on one side than the other. The right side is snappy and fast, it feels like I could do substantially more weight. The left side is soft and sloppy lol.

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
That's normal. You're going to have a preferred side. The top folks in the game only jerk on 1 side.

Balthazar

Awards
i was wondering about that, i'll probably just stick to the one side for anything heavy now. the difference in feeling is kind of ridiculous.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
iPhone is cleared and ready to mail if you're interested...

Balthazar

Awards
you're persistent in your generosity but i'm going to decline your offer. thank you so much though. i promise that some vids will come regardless.

Balthazar

Awards
1/17/16

Front Squat - Strength
165x5
185x3
205x3
165x5
185x3
205x3+6 - Felt pretty awesome here but I think this one set kind of sacked the rest of my lifts

Power Snatch
115x3
135x3
155x2,-- I've hit this for 5 before but will contribute the fail to the above mentioned reason

Power Clean
155x3
175x3
195x3

Snatch Grip DL + Touch&Go Snatch
135x2
155x1
175x1

Clean + Hang Clean x3
155x1
175x1
195x-- I got the clean and 1 h clean and just said the hell with it lol

Jerk
145x3
165x3
(185x3)x3

Klokov Press
(90x8)x3

So I had to take an extra rest day yesterday because I came down with a pretty gnarly chest/sinus infection thing. I was actually surprised to wake up this morning and feel reasonable. I went to bed last night with a normal body temperature and woke up in the middle of the night because I had gone into such a high fever I had sweat through my sheets and blanket. But that's how I think the old immune system killed it off so quickly, I'm still sick but a lot better.

Pretty excited about the +6 on front squat. I will probably play it conservative on how much I increase the DUP lifts though. If it were up to pure leg strength alone i feel i could have done a few more but my ability to stay upright was fatiguing by the last rep. I probably would have dropped it forward if I tried one more. Everything else was semi respectable considering aforementioned circumstances.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you're persistent in your generosity but i'm going to decline your offer. thank you so much though. i promise that some vids will come regardless.
Okie dokie.

Balthazar

Awards
well i'm happy to say that i stuck with the good side and it went pretty well the last workout, i think i could work at getting a little more depth but besides that pretty solid

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
To help people find the forward leg for their split jerk, I normally give them a gentle shove from behind when they're not looking. Whatever foot you put forward first is the foot/leg you should lead with when jerking :) You'll always go with 1 side over the other.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
To help people find the forward leg for their split jerk, I normally give them a gentle shove from behind when they're not looking. Whatever foot you put forward first is the foot/leg you should lead with when jerking :) You'll always go with 1 side over the other.
yup, same here.

although I dont tell them what i'm doing. I tell them to stand straight up, then I stand behind them like i'm analyzing something and give a push, lol. we used to do the same thing with new snowboarders.

Balthazar

Awards
well you two are just devious lol

Balthazar

Awards
1/20/16

front squat - hypertrophy
(175x8)x5

OHP - strength
((105x5)(115x5)(125x5))x2

SG SLDL - Power
(185x3)x5

Snatch
135x3
155x2
175x2

Clean + Jerk
165x2
185x2
205x2

CG OHP
(90x8)x3

BO Row
(145x8)x3

Good day today, first volume day for f squat at that weight and it wasn't bad, could've gone a touch heavier based on my test out from last time but decided it was best not too. I also had some respectable lifts for snatch and c+j considering my legs were a little gassed already.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I always have such a hard time sticking with a strength approach vs hypertrophy. when I go low reps/high weight I do get stronger, but I leave feeling like I didn't work hard enough, so then inevitably I overdo it and lose my potential strength gains.

Balthazar

Awards
my legs were definitely tired but that's why i decided to go a little higher weight lower volume instead of reps of say 3-5 for the o lifts. i feel like i could have gone a touch heavier for the c + j but not the snatch. the second rep at my top set, i pretty much had to bottom out all the way to get under it. this approach might kind of stifle those lifts for a little while but it will pay off when i have a huge front squat increase to work off of.

Balthazar

Awards
1/22/16

front squat - strength

OHP - power
(95x3)x5

SG SLDL - hypertrophy - good ham stretch here, but honestly my forearms and grip were the most lit up out of everything
(195x8)x5

Hang Power Snatch
115x3
135x3
155x3

Snatch
135x3
155x3
(175x3)x3

Klokov Press
(95x8)x3

SG BO Row
(115x8)x3

Excellent day today. My grip might become an issue at SG SLDL before weight does, I'll just keep going conventional until I can't and then add in hook grip as necessary. It's amazing how much better my lifts are when my quads aren't totally gassed from high volume squats. I decided to split up the two lifts for two days of the week so I can get an extra variation in on each day. Triple triple at 175 snatch was pretty big.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Definitely. You'll have to strap up or use hook grip. SG is rough.

Nice session, man.

Balthazar

Awards
thank you sir, it should definitely benefit all of my hang variation lifts that's for sure. my forearms are going to be solid.

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
Do you have straps? They might be good to look into for days when your grip is fried. I use them a lot when we do pause clean pulls at 105-110%. There's no way I could hang onto a hook grip with that much weight on the bar.

Balthazar

Awards
i need a pair but still want to use them sparingly. same deal with building a set of jerk blocks, i want them and understand how to apply them but want to do as much in the hang without them otherwise.

Balthazar

Awards
1/24/16

front squat - power
(165x3)x5 - I must have been coming up at good speed, i did a thruster for fun at this weight off of one rep and it wasn't bad considering i've never done one before.

OHP - hypertrophy
(95x8)x5

SG SLDL - strength - i realized i haven't been using chalk at all for these yet so conventional grip will hold out for a good amount more weight when i do lol
((185x5)(205x5)(225x5))x2

power clean
175x3
195x3
215x3

clean + jerk
175x3
195x2
215x2
(225x2)x2 Dubs PR x2!!

Push Press
(155x5)x3

BO Row
(145x8)x3

Solid Day! Being that today is my easiest day of the week for front squat I decided to go for the gusto at clean and jerk. I took some additional liberty in rest time for the two top sets just to make sure I had a full tank for each attempt but I think that's ok. Honestly I haven't tried any 90%+ weight at clean in awhile. I think that if I worked up a little heavier more often my c+j would go up more without gaining anymore strength. Just tightening up the clean at that weight will leave more effort for the jerk.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Awesome job in the Pr man., and doubling it to boot.

Balthazar

Awards
i probably won't try a 1rm for awhile but when i do this makes me feel pretty confident about another PR

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I used to be kind of against using straps if I didn't need them, but these days if I'm working on high pulls or SG deads I just go ahead and use my straps because my goal of the workout isn't to destroy my hands or grip, its the posterior mostly.

Balthazar

Awards
honestly there's a spot in one forearm that's still sore lol and that workout was days ago

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
I used to be kind of against using straps if I didn't need them, but these days if I'm working on high pulls or SG deads I just go ahead and use my straps because my goal of the workout isn't to destroy my hands or grip, its the posterior mostly.
That's kinda how I feel about it, too. I would rather really focus on working the muscle groups or movements that need to be worked.

Balthazar

Awards
front squat - strength
((185x5)(205x3)(225x3))x2

jerk
165x3
185x3
(205x3)x3

snatch
145x3
165x2
185x2 - wanted to stick with this weight but pull felt soft so I did some step downs
165x3
145x3

clean
195x3
215x2
(235x2)x2
235x1,-- pull into rack was a little too soft/sloppy to complete last rep

klokov press
(95x8)x3

SG BO Row
(115x8)x3

Good day today. Jerk is coming along steadily. I was a little disappointed for snatch but I haven't attempted that much weight in almost a month so it'll come once I work back up to it. Didn't quite have enough power to hit all the top sets for clean. Just need to keep plugging away at squats, squats and more squats.

Balthazar

Awards
1/28/16

Front Squat - hypertrophy
(175x8)x5

OHP - strength
105x5
115x5
125x5
105x5
115x5
125x5+2

SG SLDL - power
(185x3)x5

SG DL + Touch&Go Snatch
135x2
155x2
175x2

Clean + Hang Clean + Jerk x2
165x1
185x1
205x1

CGOHP
(95x8)x3

BO Row
(145x8)x3

Good day today. Got some solid lifts in despite it being my front squat volume day. Actually that weight is not really that difficult but I'm still just getting used to doing sets of 8 again. I expect to keep gaining pretty quick at front squat but want to always keep things sub maximal effort. Pushing out a extra rep here or there might make my overall strength go up but slow grinding reps aren't creating more power to translate into my o lifts.

Balthazar

Awards
1/30/16

Front Squat - Strength

OHP - Power
(95x3)x5

SG SLDL - Hypertrophy
(195x8)x5

Power Snatch
115x3
135x3
155x3

Snatch
135x3
155x3
175x3 - Really wanted to make this another triple top set but battling another respiratory infection, so did some step downs instead.
155x3
135x5

Klokov Press
(95x8)x3

SG BO Row
(115x8)x3

I'm actually pretty happy with how this went considering how sick I was. Generally strength levels were decent and energy was ok but I was really having some trouble breathing effectively by the time I was in the middle of it. DUP stuff all felt reasonably easy and still got some good lifts in at snatch and variation. I don't normally get sick but caught a different bug after just getting over something else that had some similar but also different symptoms. Oh well, I'm pretty much recovered now by comparison d still managed to remain consistent.

Balthazar

Awards
2/1/16

Front Squat - power
(165x3)x5 - did a thruster off the end rep of the last two sets again just for fun

OHP - hypertrophy
(95x8)x5

SG SLDL - strength
185x5
205x5
225x5
185x5
205x5
225x5+4 - RPE 7 - keeping it sub maximal, didn't want to gas the back for the rest of the workout

Power Clean
185x3
205x3
225x3

Clean + Jerk
175x3
195x3
((215x3)x3) triples PR x3!!!

Push Press
(165x5)x3

BO Row
(145x8)x3

Big day today! Killed it despite still being sick. Power Clean top set was even a tie for triples PR. My squat power was starting to get gassed after the first top set for Clean + Jerk but I was pretty liberal with the rest time and was able to plug the other two sets out. Sets beyond 2 reps for c+j are really more of a question of conditioning. It's not that I'm out of shape that way but it's amazing how your focus on form breaks down a little once your heart is beating hard, your thighs start to burn a little and your breathing pretty good. Honestly I think as long as I just shot for one set and really strove to keep my form at clean as tight as possible, I might be able to do a touch more weight for a triple.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Sets beyond 2 reps for c+j are really more of a question of conditioning. It's not that I'm out of shape that way but it's amazing how your focus on form breaks down a little once your heart is beating hard, your thighs start to burn a little and your breathing pretty good. Honestly I think as long as I just shot for one set and really strove to keep my form at clean as tight as possible, I might be able to do a touch more weight for a triple.
I hear you there. ironically, when I get more gassed I find the later reps get me moving under the bar quicker on the jerk cause I just don't have the power to muscle it up high anymore.

Balthazar

Awards
I hear you there. ironically, when I get more gassed I find the later reps get me moving under the bar quicker on the jerk cause I just don't have the power to muscle it up high anymore.
haha, i know what you mean, maybe we could call it the desperate dive. my depth isn't really that substantial yet for heavy weight but i'm working on it, at least i'm consistent enough now that i always feel like my upper body is pushing me under and locking out rather than putting any additional force on the bar

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
ditto! I squat A2G but I don't get near deep enough on the jerk.

Balthazar

Awards
2/2/16

Front Squat - Strength
185x5
205x3
225x3
185x5
205x3
225x3+5 PR

Jerk
155x5
175x5
195x5

Snatch + Hang Snatch x3
135x1
155x1
175x1

CG DL + Touch&Go Clean
195x2
215x2
235x2

Klokov Press
(100x8)x3

SG BO Row
(125x8)x3

Today was supposed to be my rest day but considering that my gym is my front patio in the great outdoors and that it's supposed to rain all day tomorrow, I decided to go today rather than take two rest days. Great day today, front squat test was excellent. By comparison I had worked up to 230x5 about 2 months ago but that was really difficult. 225x3+5 was easy as far as leg strength goes, what stopped me was core strength/balance fatigue, that's also 20 more lbs from my last test out two weeks ago and only 1 less rep! Besides that, good lifts all around otherwise.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Solid FS volume man.

Balthazar

Awards
Solid FS volume man.
thank you sir, i think i'm going to space out the time between tests in conjunction with keeping my weight increases modest so that i can keep making significant strength gains with each test

Balthazar

Awards
2/4/16

Front Squat - Hypertrophy
(190x8)x5

OHP - Strength
((110x5)(120x5)(130x5))x2

SG SLDL - Power
(195x3)x5

SG DL + Touch&Go Snatch
140x2
160x2
180x2

GF videoed but screwed up the timing on some of these, oh well
[video=youtube;WJ7SrUhn3GY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJ7SrUhn3GY[/video]
[video=youtube;Ek3FBAWNEgk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek3FBAWNEgk[/video]

Clean + Hang Clean + Jerk x2
185x1
205x1
225x1

pull into rack off of hang clean was a little rough but still happy how this went
[video=youtube;jz5s9tr00w0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jz5s9tr00w0[/video]

CGOHP
(100x8)x3

BO Row
(155x8)x3

Solid day today, the step up in weight for volume F squats was a little tough but got through it. All reps went up fast but just a challenge to satisfy the entire volume required, doing OHP after felt like a stroll in the park. Managed to do some decent lifts after DUP which was awesome considering volume squats did tire my legs out a little bit. GF needs practice with the videos.

Epolis13

Epolis13

Awards
I have a question about your setup. Is there a reason you stand up with the bar and then lower it back down to the ground before you complete your reps? Just curious as to why the extra movement is done and why you don't just start from the ground.