Mediocre Start to a Diet... Trying to get serious

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
Alright guys... So there has been times where I have lacked motivation, times where I has the best motivation in the world... times where i havent missed a workout and times where I miss months at a time... but whats ALWAYS lacked is my diet...

Stats:
HT: 6'
WT: 220

So here it goes... this is by no far perfect and I will explain my reasoning behind it all

Breakfast
1/2 Cup Oats
2 Tbs Natty PB
1 Cup 2% milk
1 1/2 Scoops Protein

Post Breakfast
Light Yogurt

Lunch
Hamburger Meat
1 Cup Brown Rice
1/4 Tsp Sunflower Seeds

Post Lunch
Chicken Breast
Romaine Lettuce

Dinner
Tuna
1 Cup Broccoli

Pre Bed
1/2 Cup Cottage Cheese
1 Scoop Protein
1 Cup 2% Milk
1 Tbs Olive Oil (Optional)

Without the Olive oil this comes too

TOTAL:
2449 Calories (2500 with the cals from the fish oil)
235.5g Pro
96.25g Fat
120.5g Carb

Now on lifting days (Mon/wed/fri) I will also have an additional protein shake after workout

Suppliments:
NOW ADAM Multi-Vit
Scviathan Xtend
Vitamin C
NP Omega 3 (6 total) 3grams
Chromium
Cayenne Extract
ZMA
Flax oil (3 pills a day)

On workout days I take 22g Xtend and on off/cardio days I take 11g Xtend

Do you guys count your grams of Xtend as protein for your totals?

My ultimate goal is to run this for about 2 to 3 weeks to judge my dedication and then switch to a little bit cleaner of a diet... the hamburger meat I am using needs to be switched out for some kind of 99% fat free or turkey meat or turkey steak meat (suggestions?)

I would also switch to low carb sources... subb out 2% milk for hood carb countdown free, get rid of the yogurt and possible remove brown rice except for on carb up days... i could easily get down to less than 50g of carbs a day and my calorie totals would only drop about 150cals and i could add in some eggs or something

Suggestions?

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
Come on guys! Usually you fools are quick to respond to diet questions! Given i am aiming at losing fat maybe I will move this to the weight loss forum

PowerlifterMB

PowerlifterMB

Awards
Alright guys... So there has been times where I have lacked motivation, times where I has the best motivation in the world... times where i havent missed a workout and times where I miss months at a time... but whats ALWAYS lacked is my diet...

Stats:

So here it goes... this is by no far perfect and I will explain my reasoning behind it all

Breakfast
1 Cup Oats
2 Tbs Natty PB
Dextrose or some other fast digesting carb for an insulin response
1 1/2 Scoops Protein

Post Breakfast
Light Yogurt
Add carbs and veggies

Lunch
Hamburger Meat
1 Cup Brown Rice
1/4 Tsp Sunflower Seeds

Post Lunch
Chicken Breast
Add carbs

Dinner
Tuna
1 Cup Broccoli
Consider adding carbs

Pre Bed
1/2 Cup Cottage Cheese
No whey
Fat free milk-you don't want saturated fat pre bed
1 Tbs Olive Oil Make this always to slow digestion

TOTAL:
235.5g Pro
96.25g Fat
120.5g Carb

Now on lifting days (Mon/wed/fri) I will also have an additional protein shake after workout

Suppliments:
NOW ADAM Multi-Vit
Scviathan Xtend
Vitamin C
Chromium
Cayenne Extract
ZMA
Flax oil (3 pills a day)

My ultimate goal is to run this for about 2 to 3 weeks to judge my dedication and then switch to a little bit cleaner of a diet... the hamburger meat I am using needs to be switched out for some kind of 99% fat free or turkey meat or turkey steak meat (suggestions?)

I would also switch to low carb sources... subb out 2% milk for hood carb countdown free, get rid of the yogurt and possible remove brown rice except for on carb up days... i could easily get down to less than 50g of carbs a day and my calorie totals would only drop about 150cals and i could add in some eggs or something

Suggestions?
Are you bulking or cutting, this looks like bulking. I bolded the changes. Lettuce has very little nutritional value it's among the lowest in vitamins and minerals of all veggies. Spinach, broccoli, coulefloure are all good.

Don't think of your meals as post breakfast and post lunch think of the meals as meal 1 meal 2 meal 3 ect. Eat a lotat each meal especially on a bulk.

Whey protein digested so quick that taking it before bed is almost pointless, reseach also shows that it causes an insulin response which would make you gain weight if you go to bed right after.

When do you workout. You need complex carbs and a protein shake preferable before for fast digesting amino acids and energy from the complex carbs.

After reading that you wanna get less carbs I'm thinking your cutting, which is it?

Count the protein from Xtend and everything else you eat. You should have whey protein and dextrose for an insulin spike post workout too.

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the response... I would call it a recomp more than cutting... im not balls to the wall cutting or bulking. Probably more cutting than anything... Thats why I am trying to keep the carbs reasonable and will take less away as I get more strict with my diet.

I am definately taking the whey out of my pre bed and putting in the olive oil

Fear

Fear

Awards

Stats:

Breakfast
1/2 Cup Oats
2 Tbs Natty PB
1 Cup 2% milk
1 1/2 Scoops Protein

Post Breakfast
Light Yogurt

Lunch
Hamburger Meat
1 Cup Brown Rice
1/4 Tsp Sunflower Seeds

Post Lunch
Chicken Breast
Romaine Lettuce

Dinner
Tuna
1 Cup Broccoli

Pre Bed
1/2 Cup Cottage Cheese
1 Scoop Protein
1 Cup 2% Milk
1 Tbs Olive Oil (Optional)

TOTAL:
235.5g Pro
96.25g Fat
120.5g Carb

Suppliments:
NOW ADAM Multi-Vit
Scviathan Xtend
Vitamin C
Chromium
Cayenne Extract
ZMA
Flax oil (3 pills a day)

Suggestions?
This is a fairly low carb diet, personally not a fan so I won't give you any advice carb-wise. Regardless of what your goals are, I would retain the same amount of calories but move a small amount of calories from your later meals towards breakfast to kick start your metabolism in the morning. I don't know if this is possible for you, but I try to eat as many as 10 tiny meals a day - I'm constantly putting food in my mouth to keep my metabolism kickin'. Don't worry too much about this if it sounds unpractical to you, because the six meals you have is definitely not a bad plan either. Don't forget to drink tons of water and take multi-vitamins, both are essential (especially water) whether you are trying to add muscle or lose fat. Hope this helps!

PowerlifterMB

PowerlifterMB

Awards
If your aim is to lose fat then figure out your maintainance level calories. Drop that by 250-500 calories a week or from what your at right now. This will help you shed a few lbs of fat. Don't start cutting calories by anything like 1000 a week or you'll lose muscle too.

I'm also no a fan of low carb diets because after a few days all your glucose and glycogen stores are gone and you have to really on the carbs you ate that day. If this isn't enough then after burning all the carbs, while your body is working on breaking down lipids(fat stores) for energy, the fastest thing to use for energy is protein. After the protein is used up your body goes to muscle resulting in catabolism.

When doing an anaerobic exercise your body does however burn fat instead of mainly carbs for energy. This is partially because oxidation isn't present hense anaerobic.

I'm in a hurry, but I'll expand on this later, hope this helps bro!