Awards
So here's the general idea for what I've been doing

M: legs shoulders
T: chest bis
W: off
T: back tris
F: shoulders and legs
S: Liss cardio and abs

I like to chest/bis and back/tris because i feel like i work the bigger muscle much harder than doing complementary muscle. I've been going heavy on leg day at first, then light later in the workout and for the most part the rest of my workouts are 8-12 reps because there's not usually anyone there to spot me. . I've also been using Jim stoppanis metabolic activators that he implements in his shortcut to shred program. I also do sprints and some points durning the week.
I've been trying to cut for the last few months and it'll go for another month or so (going on a cruise in a few weeks).
My main questions are do y'all think the metabolic activators are a good idea? And right now I think my being weakness's are my legs and my lats. I just started working out my legs around Christmas, so any tips on those are welcome. My lats on the other hand seem to be pretty strong, I've done a set of 4 weighted pull ups with a 100 pound plate. Granted my form was probably terrible. But my lats don't pop at all, and I've got the endomorph body so with out those wings I look kinda awkward. Do y'all have any ideas on how to get my lats better? And should I just wait until after my cut to work on my lat size?

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
thats not a routine. a routine has exercises, sets, reps (at a certain intensity), rest, and a progression plan. can you list those please.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What he said^ and what is in Jim Stoppanis' metabolic activator???

bmoore

bmoore

Awards
The metabolic activator is pretty much just the idea that you don't really stop moving between sets. So when I'm doing chest a set of incline flies, incline curls then jumping rope for a minute. After that minute I go right back into the flies.

Legs/shoulders:
Squats, kettle bell swings and box jumps(metabolic activator) in a circuit. Reps go 1x15 for warm up. 6x6-8 for work sets. 20 kettle bell swings with a 50lb then 30 box jumps, I'm not sure how high the box is.
Next circuit: leg press 4x8, upright row 4x10 and jump roping for a minute between.
Then I burn out with around four sets of leg extensions to failure and weighted burpes.

Chest/bis.
Circuit 1: Incline flies one or two warm up sets. Then 5x8 Incline curls 5x5. 3-1-3pace Jump rope for a minute

Circuit 2: flat dumbbell press 3x10 Overhand curls 3x8
Mt climbers for a minute.

Circuit 3: decline flies 4x8 4-1-4
Straight bar curls same as the flies
High knees for a minute

Push-ups till I can't, usually 20-30 Anabolic stretch

Back/tris:

deads: 5x5
Weight dips: 5x8 3-2-3
High knees for a minute

Weighted Pull ups: 6x12 usually overhand grip. On the last set I go as slowly down as a can
Over head tri press: 6x8
Jump rope for a minute

Tbar rows: 3x8 with a hold at the top
Skull crushers: 3x8
Mt climbers for a minute

Legs shoulders:
Good mornings 3x8
Overhead press 3x8
Jump rope for a minutes

Ham curls: 3x10 3-1-3
Side raises: 3x8 3-1-3
Mountain climbers for a minute

Glute-ham raises 3x8
Arnold press 3x10
Kettle bell swings for a minute

What do you mean by progression plan?
And thanks for the quick replies!

OnionKnight

OnionKnight

Awards
why didnt he just call it circuit training? when people start renaming shet, you know its a ripoff

bmoore

bmoore

Awards
His is more of a superset haha he says just to do a lift then the metabolic activator, the whole circuit is more of my doing. I find them more fun

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
And right now I think my being weakness's are my legs and my lats.
Most likely this is because those areas are the biggest groups and will take the most energy and most time to develop to a larger/stronger or more fit state, if that is what your goals are!?
What are your goals?

Also, a progression plan is, how are you going to progress, ie: add weight, reps, add intensity over time etc. as you adapt to your W/O stimulus. Otherwise, as soon as your body adapts to what you are doing, you pretty much stop making further progress.

A "routine" is a planned out progressive cycle of exercising, that will have you ending up being in a stronger, bigger/leaner or more fit state, (whatever the goals) than when you started.
This is why using a more proven plan, is usually better and produces better outcomes, than just making stuff up because it is something you like.

bmoore

bmoore

Awards
I hadn't really though about a progression plan. I know proven plans tend to work better, and I plan on going back to layne nortons phat in two months or so once school starts back up. As far as goals, of course to be leaner and stronger. I'd like to be able to squat and dead lift 500lbs. Right now I'm probably at 385 squats and 350 deads.

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
Your shoulders are getting a lot of work man...

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
I take it you'd say to much work?
For me it would be... Two shoulder days, plus push & pull days... Joints won't like it at all... Your body may handle it just fine...

BLaQz

BLaQz

Awards
I'd probably go with,

Legs
Chest/Tris*
Rest
Legs
Back/Bis*
Shoulders, Arms, Abs & LISS

*Back/Tris & Chest/Bis is ok too... Personal preference...

Or

Legs
Upper
Rest
Legs
Upper
Shoulders, Arms, Abs & LISS

Instead of LISS cardio, you could do HIIT & implement your sprints in there...

bmoore

bmoore

Awards
Maybe it's cause I'm 20, but I haven't had any problems with all of the should work yet haha

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Maybe it's cause I'm 20, but I haven't had any problems with all of the should work yet haha
Just wait haha.

I am really starting to learn shoulders don't need their own day. I tack shoulder work onto my chest day. Last day I would add shoulders to is legs. Never understand that yet it seems to pop up a decent amount.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just wait haha.

I am really starting to learn shoulders don't need their own day. I tack shoulder work onto my chest day. Last day I would add shoulders to is legs. Never understand that yet it seems to pop up a decent amount.
I have never trained shoulders alone. It just seems that after my max work on a few exercises and say 5 good sets/reps, stuff after that was just wheel spinning. So I always did benches and arm and maybe grip etc. work.
I also have to wonder if one is hitting the shoulders "hard" once per week with everything, is it any better (or should I say safer) than hitting them 2x per week with a more progressive or heavy/light set up!? I know older guys who never train or have never trained and their shoulders hurt or ache more than mine. Is it the training?