Split/Total Volume/Training Output Questions

Verse

Awards
I used to train one body part per day and hit things I thought were lagging more than once per week. Recently, I moved into doing a push/pull/legs split because studies have shown the more frequent activation of muscle protein synthesis leads to greater gains when total volume is the same; however, I still have yet to figure out which volume is appropriate. Moreover, and this may sound silly, I use a heart rate monitor when I train to assess the intensity of a session. I've seen a few people I admire do this and they get much higher outputs than I do, but they seem to be doing less volume. I am guessing that is caused in part by difference in weight, but I am still troubled. My overarching question is this: how much volume do I need per week? My split is as follows:

Push Strength
Pull Strength
Leg Strength
Push Hypertrophy
Pull Hypertrophy
Leg Hypertrophy

I can write out each day, but I'll summarize that each day consists of about 60 sets of exercises total and divided amongst muscle groups with most of the sets being devoted to the bigger muscle groups. My training sessions are typically 2 hours and 20 minutes long and I average 850 output on legs, 940 on pull, and 770 on push.

I feel scared to decrease my volume because I think it would mean eating less. I usually am able to keep my intensity up for the duration of my training sessions; although sometimes I my heart rate ends up being much lower (around 100bpm) than the peak of my training.

Bascially, I want to know:

What volume is appropriate weekly?
How much does output matter?
Should I decrease my volume and, if so, will I have to eat less?

Kanelifts2718

Kanelifts2718

Awards
I don't believe in a set volume cause everyone responds differently, if you're eating for the amount of work you're putting in then volume should be fine, will all come down to genetics/recovery/training history/diet/ect if I'm doing 30 sets per body part I will generally eat twice as much opposed to if I was just doing 12 sets

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
how much volume you can handle depends on your work capacity and recovery ability. both of which improve over time at varying rates.

output does matter. volume is inversely related to intensity. so the more volume you do over a cycle the lower the intensity must be if you plan on recovering. it does the other way as well. the more intense you are the lower the volume is at that intensity.

volume you can handle per workout can change day per day. it can also change week to week and month to month. it changes so often it is hard to say what exactly you can do. it is like in physics where you can know the velocity or the exact location of an object, not both. it is something you monitor over several workouts, even over weeks. this is why being on a proven program is so great. it gives you a progression plan when work capacity increases. many give you the option of deload weeks in case the volume is too much and you cannot recover.