The real deal on resistance bands....

1wickd6

1wickd6

Awards
So I was flipping through the channels yesterday and came across "The T.O. Show". The scene was of him in his pool using these resistance bands. I took a look online and found that he has his own line of these things (most likely why the scene emphasised his use of them, a shameless plug of his product). Anyhow, I know there's been some contraversy with these things regarding them actually working and have even heard some stories of them actually messing up muscles.

That all said, what is everyone's take on resistance bands in general. Im sure it all depends on what you're using them for, where you're at with your fitness, etc. So to answer that for myself personally, I would be using them as sort of a supplement to the gym. At home, if I either couldnt get to the gym or if I would just rather stay in that day. Would these resistance bands work as an alternative, or do free weights/machines trump these things hands down? Also, is there a particular brand or style that is better than the next, or all they all pretty much the same? Thanks!

sonofsteven

Awards
  • Established
Idk whether it adds legitimacy or not but astronauts use them . Bout all I know about thm

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
The TO bands are a joke, as are pretty much and of the tube style bands with a handle. Bands such as jump stretch bands are pretty much the Sh1t when it comes to getting stronger, but you have to know how to use them properly to get any benefit from them. You can utilize bands on just about any exercise. and can probably use them a few different ways for each. For example when I bench I will either add a pair of bands over the bar to increase tension at the top, under the bar to lighten the bar weight at the bottom, or wrap a single one around my arms to simulate a bench shirt. The key to band exercises is that you have to utilize the right amount of tension and the right frequency otherwise you will run yourself into the ground pretty quickly. Finally there are literally hundreds if not thousands of ways to utilize a band for rehab, stretching, and prehab that will keep an athlete mobile and reduce their risk of injury. If you have any specific questions about bands feel free to ask me as I have pretty much rigged a band or two up to every exercise you can imagine lol.

1wickd6

1wickd6

Awards
The TO bands are a joke, as are pretty much and of the tube style bands with a handle. Bands such as jump stretch bands are pretty much the Sh1t when it comes to getting stronger, but you have to know how to use them properly to get any benefit from them. You can utilize bands on just about any exercise. and can probably use them a few different ways for each. For example when I bench I will either add a pair of bands over the bar to increase tension at the top, under the bar to lighten the bar weight at the bottom, or wrap a single one around my arms to simulate a bench shirt. The key to band exercises is that you have to utilize the right amount of tension and the right frequency otherwise you will run yourself into the ground pretty quickly. Finally there are literally hundreds if not thousands of ways to utilize a band for rehab, stretching, and prehab that will keep an athlete mobile and reduce their risk of injury. If you have any specific questions about bands feel free to ask me as I have pretty much rigged a band or two up to every exercise you can imagine lol.

Right on, thanks for taking the time to reply, I appreciate it.

So, from your reply, Im gathering that bands are primarily beneficial as an addition to standard weight lifting. Is this to say that they are not beneficial as a stand alone method? If they are, can you provide some tecniques that you use to get the most out of them. i really like the fact that they are very compact, light weight and portable. Something that i can take on the road with me if needed. But, I dont want to waste my time/money on them if they do not work well as an alternative to free weights or machines.

Thanks again!

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, you can use them as a stand alone workout when your on the road or something but I would make that your primary fitness routine. Some great exercises for bands include band resisted pushups, band good mornings, x-walks, pull aparts, snatches, etc. Here is a good link for you to check out some different band only exercises:
http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?tid=101&__N=Band Exercises

SRS2000

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, you can use them as a stand alone workout when your on the road or something but I would make that your primary fitness routine. Some great exercises for bands include band resisted pushups, band good mornings, x-walks, pull aparts, snatches, etc. Here is a good link for you to check out some different band only exercises:
http://asp.elitefts.com/qa/default.asp?tid=101&__N=Band Exercises
I would echo this. They aren't fantastic as a stand-alone training method, but there are a few exercises you could incorporate into your routine. I use mine for very light recovery work the day after I train heavy to facilitate blood flow and recovery. I also take them with me when I have to travel so I can do some kind of exercise even if I treat the travel time as a deload week. I also use them daily to stretch my entire lower body. This keeps my back, hips, and legs feeling healthy.

hardknock

Awards
  • Established
I KNOW FOR A FACT that I swear by them during prehab and rehab situations. I wouldn't go any other way for my hip and knee issues, as far as prehabbing goes and rehabbing.

They are not the end all but they are/were/and will be a HUGE part of my process when injuries occur.