• RockStar
  • Established
Nice Box Squat PR, Lou.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks man, its 50lbs from my raw squat PR, about right.
What do you mean? Is your box squat supposed to be about that much lower from your raw squat? If so, I don't think I have a 455lb raw squat yet by any means. It might be only +5-10lbs higher than my box squat. Where do you think the discrepancy comes from?

EDIT: to clarify, I've always known and understand why box squats are harder than regular squats ... it's the same reason pause pressing/floor pressing is harder than bench pressing. The dead stop releases tension built up in the muscle, and you don't get the extra power from the stretch reflex (is that what it's called? it's been a while) to help you push more weight.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What do you mean? Is your box squat supposed to be about that much lower from your raw squat? If so, I don't think I have a 455lb raw squat yet by any means. It might be only +5-10lbs higher than my box squat. Where do you think the discrepancy comes from?

EDIT: to clarify, I've always known and understand why box squats are harder than regular squats ... it's the same reason pause pressing/floor pressing is harder than bench pressing. The dead stop releases tension built up in the muscle, and you don't get the extra power from the stretch reflex (is that what it's called? it's been a while) to help you push more weight.
Well westside says that ones max box squat is about 70% of their meet squat, but they train in gear and I do not. But both me and my gym partners box squat is about 50lbs less then out raw squat. Your raw squat should not be that close to ur box squat. That means you train your box squat to much and your not getting carry over. Id have a good 50/50 mix of raw and box squats since the form is also slightly different. You may be groove squating too.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well westside says that ones max box squat is about 70% of their meet squat, but they train in gear and I do not. But both me and my gym partners box squat is about 50lbs less then out raw squat. Your raw squat should not be that close to ur box squat. That means you train your box squat to much and your not getting carry over. Id have a good 50/50 mix of raw and box squats since the form is also slightly different. You may be groove squating too.
I think I do train box squat too much. I've pretty much done that movement almost exclusively since I had so many problems drilling the motor pattern into my muscles. Now I can actually do a full squat with pretty good form for most of the set (and achieving full depth is no problem anymore by any means), but I guess as you said without having trained it for all this time I dont get much carryover. Thanks for bringing that up.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think I do train box squat too much. I've pretty much done that movement almost exclusively since I had so many problems drilling the motor pattern into my muscles. Now I can actually do a full squat with pretty good form for most of the set (and achieving full depth is no problem anymore by any means), but I guess as you said without having trained it for all this time I dont get much carryover. Thanks for bringing that up.
Of course man, unless you squat in gear the box squat should not make up all your squating.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
2-29-12-ME Bench
Workout:
Chins
Bwx7,7,7,7
Camber Bar Bench, about a 2-3 inch camber with a 1 board since I dont the have gut my partner does haha.
225x3
245x3
255x3, doing triples. Stopped here as it was pretty hard and I got 2 more weeks of this.
Incline DB Press
60x10
70x12 PR b 3 reps
80x7 PR
Neutral Grip Cable Rows
100x20
110x20
120x20
Mini Band Pushdowns w/ Rope Face Pulls
100 pushdowns
60x12
70x12,12
Conditioning: 4 100meter sprints with 90lbs on the prowler. Very out of shape. Went home sick from this and laid down for 2 hrs before moving again lol.
Notes: Will start building my conditioning back up.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3-2-12-DE Squat/Deadlift
Workout:
GHR
Bwx5,5
DE Box Squat with straight weight
235x12x2
Speed Sumo Pulls with monster minis
225 w/ bandsx8x1 Tore up my legs but form is getting better.
GHR
Bwx10,10,10,15
Land Mines
barx12
10x12
20x10
Notes: Tired, but fast session.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3-3-12-DE Bench
Workout:
Chins
Bwx7,7,7,7
DE Bench with straight weight
135x9x3, 3 different grips
Grappler Oh Press
50x10
60x10 PR
60x10
Oh Band Ext with light bands
Chest Supported Wide Grip T-bar rows
90x10
135x10
170x6
90x10
Incline DB Shrugs+4 way neck+External Pre-hab
60x15/40/8x15
80x15/40/15x12
90x12
Notes: Forgot to do cardio, oh well fast session. It felt like cardio anyways haha.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3-5-12-ME Squat/Deadlift, my 21'st bday too!
Workout:
Box Squat
315x1
365x1
405x1
430x1 PR, it felt heavy but came up faster and easier then 425. Very happy with a PR regardless if its just 5lbs lol
Reverse Hyper
135x15,20,20 PR for 2 sets of 20
Chest Supported Cambered Bar Pendlay Row
135x5
185x5
205x5,5,5 PR's
Roman Chair
Bwx15
Bw+mini bandx15
Bw+monster minix12 PR
Notes: Felt like ass coming into this session, really had to get my mind right to kill this session. But I got 4 PRs today and felt great about them. Mind over matter today. 430 felt like it was gonna crush me coming out of the rack and on the way down but easy up.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3-7-12-ME Bench
Workout:
Chins
Bwx7,7,7,8
2-3 inch cambered bar bench w/ a 1 board
225x3
245x3
265x2
260x3 PR
Incline DB Press
55x10
65x10
80x8 PR
Close Grip Seated Cable Rows
90x20
100x20
100x15
Mini Band Pushdowns+Rope Face Pulls
60x12,12,12
4 Way Neck Machine w/ Shoulder Horn
45x2 sets. 15x20, 20x15
Notes: Still a lil rundown and didnt get the cals I needed for this. But I got a PR regardless! Also Im going to take a week to deload after this 3 week wave and just do assistence stuff. Its time.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3-9-12-DE Squat/Deadlift
Workout:
GHR
Bwx5,5
DE Box Squat w/ straight weight
255x12x2
Speed Sumo Pulls w/ Monster Minis
235 w/ bandsx7x1. Ive done some reading on sumo pulling and will quite the bands and do chains for straight weight from now on and work on form. Also 1 month or so Ill be working up to a heavy single to see what breaks down ect.
GHR
Bwx10,10,10 Elevatedx16
Grappler
25x8
35x8,8
Notes: Good session, still working with sumo pulling.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3-10-12-DE Bench
Workout:
Chins
Bwx7,7,7,8
DE Bench w/ straight weight
Numbers were all over the place today. As my partner noticed I was pushing thru my toes and not my heels causing my but to come off the bench. We finally fixed this issue and I finally learned why bench a full body movement. Time to perfect this.
Oh Grappler Press
65x10
90x5
65x10
Oh Band Ext with light bands
Chest Supported T-bar row wide/med grip
3 platesx10,10,10
Incline DB Shrugs+4 Way neck+External Pre-hab
60x20/45/8x15
60x20/45/8x15
Notes: Good session, happy to be one step closer to improving my sh!t bench. Im a great puller and squater. Im a horrible bencher. Time to make me good at what I suck at. Time to bench haha.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3-12-12-ME Squat/Deadlift
Workout:
Box Squat
315x1
365x1
405x1
435x1 PR
Reverse Hyper
135x20,20,20 PR
Mini Band Pullapartsx100 total reps
Notes: I did not sleep well at all last night. Woke up for work and felt like a zombie. Work was super busy and barly got to eat. Then I got home and just wanted to pass out. Not to mention my diet was off the past few days. Good thing next week is my deload bc im ready to just recover. I got the Pr I had in my mind. My sticking point is half way up but I accelerated right thru it. I did some prehab to finish. I helped this kid with his squat for a spot so it worked out. So my current PR is 435 or 445 if I actually account for the 55lb squat bar, Ive been just using 45lbs in my math. So thats a total of 40lb increase in 3 weeks. Im happy.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You're setting PR's at a damn good clip. I've only set 3 the past 6 weeks: 415x1 on squat, 250x5 on bench, and 455 traditional deads.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
You're setting PR's at a damn good clip. I've only set 3 the past 6 weeks: 415x1 on squat, 250x5 on bench, and 455 traditional deads.
Thanks man, Ive really been setting my mind right and listening to my body. I coulda swore you pulled a 495 not long ago on deads no? Also my GPP and conditioning load has dropped quite a bit prob allowing for the PRs to set in. Ive also been training with a conjugate method but insted of switching the lift every week im doing it every 3 weeks as dave tate says beginners should do. When I stop hitting PRs every week for 3 weeks I will move to a 2 week rotation then 1 week.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks man, Ive really been setting my mind right and listening to my body. I coulda swore you pulled a 495 not long ago on deads no? Also my GPP and conditioning load has dropped quite a bit prob allowing for the PRs to set in. Ive also been training with a conjugate method but insted of switching the lift every week im doing it every 3 weeks as dave tate says beginners should do. When I stop hitting PRs every week for 3 weeks I will move to a 2 week rotation then 1 week.
495 is my PR on sumo, but they take a major toll on my hips and can't do them often.

swollen87

swollen87

Awards
  • Established
sup sweetlou.. thats a growing squat # you got there..

im following, silently....

btw im going to start posting in my log again.. lol im so inconsistant... im going to a USAPL meet in may in PA... bench/dead comp...

going to attempt 600 if they have a deadlift bar :) im told they bend more...

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Glad you're having a really good training season, Lou. Keep up the PRs!

They do. It's because they're longer, so the further the weight is the more stress is felt by the bar in the middle.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
495 is my PR on sumo, but they take a major toll on my hips and can't do them often.
Oh see my PR with sumo is 365 but I dont have good form yet. And my PR conventional is 501. Im working with my sumo deadlift right now. I got very good at exploading with conventional and getting everything behind the bar that I cant pull properly until about 275-315 bc the bar comes off the ground before I pull.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
sup sweetlou.. thats a growing squat # you got there..

im following, silently....

btw im going to start posting in my log again.. lol im so inconsistant... im going to a USAPL meet in may in PA... bench/dead comp...

they will, they are called comp bars afterall. So it a standard between meets. If you pull 600 I wanna see it for sure since you weight close to me.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Glad you're having a really good training season, Lou. Keep up the PRs!

They do. It's because they're longer, so the further the weight is the more stress is felt by the bar in the middle.
Thanks man, im only 21 and im just starting to hit my groove lately. My technique keeps getting better and better. Not to mention Im eating like a pig. Im about 210 right now.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've considered briefs, but haven't looked into them too extensively.
Well I will be trying sumo in my next deadlift cycle, and depending on how my hips feel I will be trying it in my single ply titan superior with straps down. I plan on moving over to gear sooner or later and love to squat in it, very nice twist.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3-14-12-ME Bench
Workout:
Chins
Bwx7,8,8,8
Cambered Bar Bench w/ 1 board
225x3
245x3
270x2, didnt set up right and go pulled loose on the lift off. Im technique is getting better as all the sets before were fast and strong. So much better then ever before. This is Pr as my best single for this lift is 245x1, and 265x2 for a double. So im still happy.
Straight Bar Chest Supported Pendlay Row
225x5,5,5,5,5
Conditioning/Assistence/Pre-hab circuit: High Box Jumps to platformx10, Medicine Ball Slamx10, Monster Mini Unilateral Face Pullsx25, Mini Unilateral Pushdownsx25. This was done back to back for 10 straight minutes. Only rest was however many breathes it took to finish the movement. Ended up doing 4 laps.
4 way neck machine
50x2 sets
Notes: So I didnt get much sleep last night and worked today so I was once again running on E. My gym partners shoulder has been bothering him, most likely an overuse thing. So we cut the assitence and tried something different today. We both got PRs again so we cut the inclines. Then we did our row work then all our other stuff for extra volume and prehab in a circuit. I put this together after reading kabukis blog post about concentric training (I believe this was it). Stuff like GPP and how it works to increase volume, recovery, and strength in time. We are both out of shape so have decided that once a week we will do our main lift, one main assistence, then some form of concentric conditioning/prehab work. Then neck or abs. We both work the same job so we can only train about 2 times a week together out of 4. These will always be done together. This is to help us recover better and get in some conditioning each week with out GPP. Also he trains for strongman so this will help im get in work for that too, not to mention make things fun. We will also be doing a planned deload after every 2 cycles. We train conjugate system yet we are raw so we will deload more often. So it will look like this for bench.
Floor press-3 weeks of singles
Cambered bar bench w/ 1 board-3 weeks of triples
Deload
2 board press-3 weeks of singles
comp bench press-2 weeks of doubles, 1 week of singles
Deload
And Squat/Deadlift
Goodmorning variation-3 weeks of triples unless suspended (which is a single)
Box Squat-3 weeks of singles
Deload
Pull variation of the time sumo/conv-2 weeks high pulls, 1 week off the floor. Not to failure, like 95%
Free Squat-3 weeks of singles
Deload

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3-16-12-DE Squat/Deadlift
Workout:
DE Squat w/ straight weight
275x10x2, I got a vid of my 9th set for some of you to comment on.
Speed Sumo pulls worked up to a heavy single to see where form breaks down ect
135x1,1,1,1,1
225x1,1,1
275x1
315x1
365x1, got a vid for this set for feedback also
405x1
455x0, hips shot up so I stopped the pull no need to max here
Mini Band Unilateral Leg Curls+Reverse hyper
25/90x15
25/90x15
Ab/Adductors+Grappler
minix10/10, 10x10
minix10/10, 35x10
Notes: Good session overall. Happy with the 405 pull. It came up and locked out good. I got a vid of 365 and I can see that I duck my head at the top which rounds out my back. Also my hips look to high and far away from the bar. I have no idea how to set up for sumo as im a conventional puller. I read a few articles on elitefts but still got no idea how to set up or how it should feel or even look.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I've considered briefs, but haven't looked into them too extensively.
Once I learn how to use youtube I got a vid of me pulling sumo Id like you to comment on. I have no idea how to pull so Id appriciate it.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Squat

Sumo pull

Idk how to embed so if anyone knows please explain. Also how do you set up for a sumo pull? How far away from the bar ect?
It's hard to give too much based off of the angle, but lower the bar on squats. When you unrack it, you lose all of your arch.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
It's hard to give too much based off of the angle, but lower the bar on squats. When you unrack it, you lose all of your arch.
Will do, what angles would you like next time? Ill be taking vids from now on so whatever angles are best ill move my phone or get my partner to take em when hes there. Also how do you get your hip when pulling sumo? Ill just get more vids haha

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Will do, what angles would you like next time? Ill be taking vids from now on so whatever angles are best ill move my phone or get my partner to take em when hes there. Also how do you get your hip when pulling sumo? Ill just get more vids haha
Either directly from the side or in front.

My setup on sumos is:
Position feet/shins about 1/2" away from the bar
Descend into postion like a squat (e.g. flare knees, arch lumbar)
Take big air
Reach down for bar to lower myself the last 2-3"

One thing to remember is that you should not be able to see the bar when you're about to pull. As Tate says, imagine you're trying to drop your nutsack on the bar as you're getting into position.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Either directly from the side or in front.

My setup on sumos is:
Position feet/shins about 1/2" away from the bar
Descend into postion like a squat (e.g. flare knees, arch lumbar)
Take big air
Reach down for bar to lower myself the last 2-3"

One thing to remember is that you should not be able to see the bar when you're about to pull. As Tate says, imagine you're trying to drop your nutsack on the bar as you're getting into position.
Acutally just saw that video last night, so I now understand how to do it better. Do you set your legs up so they are 90 degress at the knees or wider? Brian schwab that many guys set up to wide and lose their natural mechanical advantages.

Also what do you mean I lost my arch when I unrack to squat? Care to share a vid of how it should look unracking. I had read that to unrack you should fire the glutes and that causes me to stand all the way up. Ive been doing this for awhile so id like to see what I should be doing. Thanks again. Ill get some side/front shots next week.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Acutally just saw that video last night, so I now understand how to do it better. Do you set your legs up so they are 90 degress at the knees or wider? Brian schwab that many guys set up to wide and lose their natural mechanical advantages.

Also what do you mean I lost my arch when I unrack to squat? Care to share a vid of how it should look unracking. I had read that to unrack you should fire the glutes and that causes me to stand all the way up. Ive been doing this for awhile so id like to see what I should be doing. Thanks again. Ill get some side/front shots next week.
My knees are at 90 doing a sumo pull. My shins are in line with the ring on the knurling.

Regarding the unrack, ideally you are able to unrack it without losing the arch. I set the bar at about chest height and then really dig my traps into the bar and my knees are still bent. When I straighten my legs, the bar is clear, but my arch is still tight and I start to walk back.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
My knees are at 90 doing a sumo pull. My shins are in line with the ring on the knurling.

Regarding the unrack, ideally you are able to unrack it without losing the arch. I set the bar at about chest height and then really dig my traps into the bar and my knees are still bent. When I straighten my legs, the bar is clear, but my arch is still tight and I start to walk back.
Got it, my partner went over that exact set up with me today. I now understand.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3-17-12-DE Bench
Workout:
Chins
bwx7,8,8
DE Bench w/ straight weight
165x9x3 3 diff grips
Oh DB Press Neutral Grip
45x10,10,10 Pre-hab
Chest Supported BB Rows with mini bands
135x7,8,8
Medicine Ball Pushdowns+Mini Band Pullaparts
130x20/25
150x20/25
170x20/25
190x20/25
4 Way Neck Machine with DB Shrugs
50lbs for 2 sets and 50x20,20
Notes: Another pre-hab based session. Both me and my partner are mentally ready for a deload. Worked on my bench some more and its getting better just gotta find where to put my legs. Gonna get some ping pong balls to put under my heels to reinforce leg drive. Those rows werent even heavy, just a fight against the clock with the bands pulling us down. Fun day. Also worked on my squat and deadlift too.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What's going on, Lou?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Sorry guys, I got a few workouts to update. Monday me and some close friends drove to panama city beach for dayglo. I live in florida so it wasnt bad. It was a great time and a great way to celebrate turning 21. I had a blast for 2 days and really relieved some stress from my busy schedule. I was gonna go to ultra this weekend but I had to think about my past problems and my lifting goals, 3 more days of partying would not have been smart.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3/21/12-ME Bench, deload
Workout:
Chins
Flat DB Press
55x10
60x10
65x10
Seated Cable Rows
110x12,12,12
Medicine Ball Pushdowns+Rope Face Pulls
190x20/60x15
190x20/60x15
190x20/60x15
Notes: Easy day, pretty tired from the weekend.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3/23/12-DE Squat/Deadlift
Workout:
DE Box Squat w/ 60lbs of chain weight
185lb bar weightx8x2, Pointed my feet out a lil more and really spread the floor, I sat back really well and didnt tip as much. I also was moving super fast to. Great change.
Speed Sumo Pulls/Suit Work
135x1,1,1
225x1,1
275x1 All good and fast reps really getting a good groove with light weights.
Suit straps down (single ply titan superior)
275x1
315x1
365x1
405x1
455x1
495x1,1 All these reps flew up with ease except for 495 bc my straps were down and my upper back still is my weak link in my pulls/squats/bench, that middle trap area to be exact.
GHRs
Land Mines
10x10
20x10,10
Notes: I hate suiting up, pain in the ass and is like cardio. However I need to do it more often to see if I wanna compete in it. It is fun once your in the tho. Imma prob get a titan double ply centrion soon for squats and keep my superior for pulls.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3/24/12-DE Bench
Workout:
GPP
Prowler Rows/Face Pulls
prowler+50lbs. 200 meters total I believe, half rows half face pulls
DE Bench w/ 60lbs chain weight
115lbs bar weight w/ chainsx9x3 with 3 diff grips. I think I found my bench form, ME days will tell. FAST day tho.
Oh Neutral Grip DB Press
50x10,10,10
Iso Hammer High Row
180x15,15,15
Tate Press
35x15,15,15
4 way neck machine+Hammer Curls
10lbs neck
20lbs neck+20x12
30lbs neck+20x12
40lbs neck, Pulled my neck earlier in the session and wanted to loosen it up.
Conditioning: Prowler 100 mete sprints with adding weight every 50 meters. We started with 30lbs on the prowler ended up with 180 I believe at the end then went back down to 30. This put me on the ground just wanting air and water. Will start doing more gpp and conditioning, feels good.
Notes: Last day of my deload. Good week.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3/26/12-ME Squat/Deadlift
Workout:
GPP
Push the prowler, 90lbs for 3 200 meter laps
Conventional High Pulls Below the knees
365x1
405x1
455x1
495x0,0 I cant do high pulls, I can pull more off the ground and the same off a deficite. Will be dropping these. Cant get the form right.
Reverse Hypers
225x10
270x10
180+2 mini bandsx10
Wide Grip High Cable Rows
110x10
130x8
150x8
Seated Rope Crunches
idk but it was very hard i think 60x10,80x8,70x10
Notes: Couldnt get my form right for high pulls, I must do something when I pull off the floor that allows me to carry the weight to lockout that I cant mimic on a high pull.

JajaNe20

JajaNe20

Awards
  • Established
So this is sweetlou aye? mmkay. Well....... crush it

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Notes: Couldnt get my form right for high pulls, I must do something when I pull off the floor that allows me to carry the weight to lockout that I cant mimic on a high pull.
What are you doing? Rack pulls or pulling off blocks/implements? At any rate, it's awesome if you're doing either of those and not being able to do it with teh same weight you deadlift with. That would mean you found a real weak spot to work on.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
What are you doing? Rack pulls or pulling off blocks/implements? At any rate, it's awesome if you're doing either of those and not being able to do it with teh same weight you deadlift with. That would mean you found a real weak spot to work on.
It was off blocks. I dont see this as a weak point since its main function is to overload the top. Yet I can pull well over 50lbs more off the floor. I just couldnt get set up right.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It was off blocks. I dont see this as a weak point since its main function is to overload the top. Yet I can pull well over 50lbs more off the floor. I just couldnt get set up right.
Oh I see, understood. A lot of people have different opinions on how to set up for those. I personally like to set up using the same form I would have if I had deadlifted from the floor and am at the height the bar is at. This is in contrast with setting up by approaching the bar, sitting back, and leveraging it from a "fully" seated position, which is a position you'd never be in if you had deadlifted off of the floor. Does that make sense?

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Oh I see, understood. A lot of people have different opinions on how to set up for those. I personally like to set up using the same form I would have if I had deadlifted from the floor and am at the height the bar is at. This is in contrast with setting up by approaching the bar, sitting back, and leveraging it from a "fully" seated position, which is a position you'd never be in if you had deadlifted off of the floor. Does that make sense?
Yes that makes sense, but Idk how that would carry over to my pull if ill be in a position id never be in if pulling off the floor. Maybe thats the point tho?