supplement companies making more and more **** based on pseudoscience

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
why do people keep calling bioequivalent substances in amounts occuring in sometimes hundreds to thousands of kg of plants supplements? these compounds have pharmacologic activity and are sometimes much stronger than current pharmaceuticals. pterostilben is not a supplement. it occurs in nature but using the amount of 1000kg of blueberries obviously is different than using blueberry extract. its synthetic but bioequivalent.

in 100 years i doubt people will still use medication with side effects unless they never get it. any research into selective medication yet lacks funding or is somehow being prevented. the pharmaceutial industry does not want healthy patients.
imagine HIV drugs being replaced with a 20 dollar "supplement". the poor shareholders...
Do you know what the definition of a supplement is? If you had your way, and didn't classify your favorite "substances" as supplements, you would need a prescription to purchase them, and they'd likely cost orders of magnitude more than they do now. Yes, they can be quite effective, but they are, by definition, supplements, as they should be. You do want to be able to decide to use them yourself without permission and paying an exorbitant amount, no?

redman24

redman24

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yeah nice health supp. your brassaiopsis extracted for dehydrolollipop doesnt work, just like triazole. dehydroabietic acid is weak. broussonetia also. olive leaf is a nice healthy thing and so is hesperidin but 200mg acacetin in alphadex alone surpass any other otc AI as well as arimidex. the brassaiopsis might be better or not. mangostan, no idea. tracheloside will be incrdible unless it has absorption problems. so far it is more potent than 20mg aromasin.

redman24

redman24

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i like you not using bioperine. people put it in everything. its just stupid.

redman24

redman24

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Do you know what the definition of a supplement is? If you had your way, and didn't classify your favorite "substances" as supplements, you would need a prescription to purchase them, and they'd likely cost orders of magnitude more than they do now. Yes, they can be quite effective, but they are, by definition, supplements, as they should be. You do want to be able to decide to use them yourself without permission and paying an exorbitant amount, no?
semantics. i assume you are aware, if not you are really making a pointless argument.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
semantics. i assume you are aware, if not you are really making a pointless argument.
Almost as pointless as this entire thread. You just keep bringing up new topics and declaring to be the be-all-end-all, definitive authority on them all, and then claiming not to have an ego. Honestly, I'm rather enjoying this whole thing. I'm surprised you didn't mention mitochondria in this post, since apparently it's the only thing that does anything, both in regards to benefits and adverse effects.

redman24

redman24

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I didn't use "selective perception," I took your absolute statement to its logical conclusion, which you admittedly may not have considered.

Furthermore, not everyone trains for strength primarily. Also, as someone with extensive experience in multiple disciplines of martial arts and combat, I would like to point out that "strength," in the form of a 1-RM on bench press is hardly an assurance of winning a fight. I would rather bench 300lbs and be well versed in stand-up and ground combat/martial arts than bench 400+lbs and have no experience here. Furthermore, no amount of strength of combat prowess will allow you do block/dodge bullets; even Bruce Lee, who I can assure you would make quick work of both you and I at the same time, said that he was no match for someone with a gun. Lifting weights with the deluded intention of throwing people across the room, especially a group of people, is silly. If you want to learn to fight, you surely should focus primarily on fighting, with weight training being a supplement to your martial arts practice. Also, in a fight, be it MMA/Jiu Jitsu/wrestling/etc, endurance is also very, very important, both cardiovascular endurance and muscular endurance; I'd argue that having solid mid-weight/rep strength would be more advantageous than just having a ton of 1-RM strength but no endurance.

Also, this conversation has gotten so far off the original topic that you couldn't see it with a telescope. We all have different reasons for lifting, who are you to say what mine should be, or what someone, anyone, besides yours should be?
i will say one last thing and then there is no point anymore as you will never accept it. i was hit by a car and the car bounced off me several feet. i was uninjured. i have witnesses. its not the matrix but matter consists of molecules. most of a molecule is empty space, yet you see a solid table. so your reality is an interpretation. you really should be seeing the molecules, atoms and other particles but don't. doesn't that prove that your reality may not have anything in common with mine?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i will say one last thing and then there is no point anymore as you will never accept it. i was hit by a car and the car bounced off me several feet. i was uninjured. i have witnesses. its not the matrix but matter consists of molecules. most of a molecule is empty space, yet you see a solid table. so your reality is an interpretation. you really should be seeing the molecules, atoms and other particles but don't. doesn't that prove that your reality may not have anything in common with mine?
Ok, we're done here. If, as you say, reality is an interpretation, then who are you to say that your interpretation of what is true/best is correct? Why are we spiraling off into a tangent about philosophy 101 and what we should see but don't? I can spout off superfluous facts about what we should see but don't too; we don't typically see our nose even though we should. I also jumped to the moon and back; I have witnesses...

redman24

redman24

Banned
Awards
  • Established
only persons interpret things. do you know the meaning of the word person? it means mask.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
only persons interpret things. do you know the meaning of the word person? it means mask.
Is this a random philosophy thread now? Cool. Here's a story about defining "man." Plato had attempted to define man as simply as possible, and came up with the definition of "a featherless bipedal." Upon hearing this, Diogenes plucked all the feathers off a chicken and declared "behold, Plato's man."

Admin

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Established
Is this a random philosophy thread now? Cool. Here's a story about defining "man." Plato had attempted to define man as simply as possible, and came up with the definition of "a featherless bipedal." Upon hearing this, Diogenes plucked all the feathers off a chicken and declared "behold, Plato's man."
I lol'd

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Diogenes was the man. He was a homeless philosopher, and Alexander the Great had heard about him, so asked him if there is anything he could do for Diogenes. To this, Diogenes responded something to the point of "I have nothing to ask but that you would remove to the other side, that you may not, by intercepting the sunshine, take from me what you cannot give." Impressed at this, instead of having Diogenes executed, Alexander said "if I wasn't Alexander, I'd like to be Diogenes." Diogenes responded by saying "if I wasn't Diogenes I'd wish to be him too." He also supposedly masturbated in public, and defended it by saying "if only it was as easy to banish hunger by rubbing my belly," so there's that.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yeah, something tells me that if anyone at Myokem ever sees this thread....Redman's hopes for a job aren't gonna be very good. Just a hunch though.

If this guy ever handed me some powder at a gym and told me it was the best pre-workout ever...I am sure that there would only be two possible outcomes:

1. I would literally drop the powder and RUN away.

or

2. My feedback would be insane. Like, literally insane.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

bb333

Awards
  • Established
i didnt make firecracker. neither did i make all the products.
yeah i useD caffeine. two years back. soon you will see caffeine pterostilbene and never less than 200mg of it. no 300 caffeine/100 purenergy but 200/200.

i did not read any replies until just now. i answered why that 9-MakeBrainCrazy **** is toxic in the thread.

the original venom 2.0 with sulbutiamine was disgusting as **** yet i received countless mails of people thanking me and asking me to please never ever change the formula, it was perfect. unfortunately regulations kind of ****ed the product.

i have not been involved in any formulations for a long time. soon there will be new releases. a fatburner which contains fucoxanthin like kamikaze (which someone else made), 200mg purenergy, alpha-gpc, 200mg caffeine so plenty of energy and cognitive enhancement with health benefits instead of cns destroying drugs...eeehmm i mean plant extracts. furthermore several effective high dosed thermogenic ingredients and a truly effective t2 dose. this will be the first fatburner which has predominantly healthy ingredients, yet will work as good as or better than illegal stuff. im not even comparing to the joke products made by most supp companies these days.
i do like myokem, they made the best AI/SERM i have ever seen by far. their other products are also all good and no money was saved on ingredients, yet some things are flawed.

i was indeed the first who put agmatine into a nutrient partitioner. combined with na-r-ala and berberin. now, bergenin causes fat cells to become insulin resistent so no worries about fat gain. also, there is insulin potentiators and mimetics. na-r-ala is the only potentiator here. berberin does not increase fat cells insulin sensitivity. neither does something like banaba. gymnema, bitter melon for example work with insulin, therefore may cause fat gain unless bergenin is included.
after recompagen was released a german company copied it, put a little more na-r-ala and worthless doses of citrulline and green coffee bean extract. soon performax released their version with na-r-ala and agmatine (this combination was never seen before recompagen, show me one product). it is a good product, the inclusion of banaba is nice but it should be made known that corosolic acid is not that relevant, it is the tannins in the plant that are the most effective. i have to admit that a low % extract will have some of those for sure, yet no standardization was made. the dose of hydroxyisoleucine is a joke, you need 500mg active.

i think performax is one of the better companies for sure though so i dont wanna pick a fight. i like powermax xt a lot, only the amento dosage would have been nice at 160mg. people never got the most out of the compound as it was usually between 40-120mg max. at 240mg it is a completely different story. the strength gains are insane.

i dont wanna give away too much but lately all the focus of pres was energy, focus, endurance, pump. what happened to strength? if you want endurance use ubiquinol an shilajit. it will beat any supplement on the market including all epicatechin masterpieces.

lclt is crap. is it really cheap or something? tartaric acid is harmful to mitochondria and fumaric acid vastly superior. this means lc-fumarate would beat the hell out of lclt. the only other carnitines worth a damn are plcar and arginocarn.

so i have already said too much. if one likes to use stims which are far stronger than pure bolivian, columbian or peruvin cocaine of 89% purity tested by energy control, then go ahead. even if a FLAVOR had to be recalled, probably it tasted so bad it almost made people end up in the psychiatric hospital.

if one wants to improve performance and health long term, feel better, live longer, protect their cns and prevent illness then many current products are not the right choice. as brawn does not sell in the US i see no reason for any company to feel like their is competition going on, no more than 5 people will order from UK to the US and pay a lot more for a supplement than they would in their country so who cares?

i would, however, really like to work with myokem, as alphadex shows their potential, yet the nutrient partitoner could be vastly improved. recompagen is outdated. by now the ingredients i would use are different than anything thats been done before. the cost would be on the high side but one will get both an increase in anabolism, simply through the ability to eat massive amounts of carbs and lose bodyfat, as none of those carbs will enter fat cells but fill the muscles and make you look full, vascular and thin skinned. also, used before the last meal preworkout, no pump product would be needed ever again. (not that pump products have any use to begin with but yeah...)

i am not worked up btw, i am as calm as a lazy fat cat sleeping after overeating. i just say things that people do not like and have to stick around for a while until more and more begin to understand that i have honest intentions and am not in it for the money but to create and see my creations bring happiness to people. profit margins are so small compared to competitors it is ridiculous...
Currently in the market, what is your favorite Gda?
To be used in bulk, high carbohydrates!

GoHardOrGoHme

GoHardOrGoHme

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
well, studies that are so much loved show acacetin only to be able to inhibit aromatase up to 63%. arimidex manages 50% at the max. dose. and alphadex is not only acacetin. also on just 250mg test/week i get gyno using 2mg real arimidex per day. yet using acacetin i can control gyno on 300mg oral trestolone per day. and alphadex is preventing it so well it feels as strong as 200mg TD formestane, which reversed gyno on trest and is close to 2.5mg letro for me. if i took arimidex i would already have tits...

There is NO in-vivo, human clinical data to support acacetin is better then any othe OTC AI(at least that I am aware of) or can be compared to a clinical AI.

These are the studies on acacetin.

here is what acacetin has indications for:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4632086/ ---> flies with alzheimers
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3224790/ ---> tumor suppression
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18948180 --> in-vitro anti-aromatase....in vitro...which means jack because a lot in vitro...a lot falls apart

20mg of pharma aromasin...no sir you are mistaken I used aromasin on trest...controlled it amazingly.

What data do you have to support his because this is sounding a lot like pseudoscience. Show me the papers you derived your percentages.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This. It is the most logical and best thread in the entire post.

Hairygrandpa coming off the bench, hitting a three and then sitting back down. Gotta love it.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Yeah, so - um - does that mean that the table is NOT made up of molecules since I am interpreting it as a table? Or does that mean that reality remains, even if I interpret it as something different?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, so - um - does that mean that the table is NOT made up of molecules since I am interpreting it as a table? Or does that mean that reality remains, even if I interpret it as something different?
There is a Buddhist belief that something, in this case a table, is made entirely of non-table elements, that it is only the sum of the parts that make it a table; to quote Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh, "the
is full of everything except one thing: a separate self or a separate identity." Note: he used the example of a flower, but the same thing still sort of applies to a table I suppose. Similarly, the Tao Te Ching says that the empty space makes the bowl useful, that the value comes from what is there, but the use from what is not there.

I don't know how we ended up discussing this, but it's preferable to the original topic.

bb333

Awards
  • Established
I'm not understanding a **** ... damn foreign language ... ^_^
night! ;)

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
There is a Buddhist belief that something, in this case a table, is made entirely of non-table elements, that it is only the sum of the parts that make it a table; to quote Buddhist monk Thich Nhat Hanh, "the
is full of everything except one thing: a separate self or a separate identity." Note: he used the example of a flower, but the same thing still sort of applies to a table I suppose. Similarly, the Tao Te Ching says that the empty space makes the bowl useful, that the value comes from what is there, but the use from what is not there.

I don't know how we ended up discussing this, but it's preferable to the original topic.

Who knee this would twist and turn like this. In some ways I want to walk away from this thread. In others, it feels like it could go on for 150 pages.

It's like a bug light. And I am a bug. Certain death, but I can't help but fly toward the warm glow...

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Can I have some of what you’re smoking? Srs.

TheIronAsylum

Awards
  • Established
what is going on in this thread

i personally liked amento Katana v3 was best pre

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
It speaks volumes that a kitten bench pressing a dumbbell is the least ridiculous thing discussed in this thread.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
you missed the point, used selective perception and took my statements out of context.
of yourse doing 2 reps of bench per week (just a stupid example) is not ideal. but doing 2 reps of bench with your 5 rep max for 300 reps a week combines extremely heavy load with high, no extreme volume. and the first and last rep are equal, in fact the last is less as one becomes slower which reduces tension. also muscle failure has no benefit but cns overload.
why would anyone miss out on the possibility of doing extreme volume with extreme weight while not taxing the cns very much? i rep to failure is worse than 1000 reps without.

of course you can grow doing 30 reps. but if you alternate 5 reps with 30 reps, the 30 reps are cardio. only if you progress on 30 reps continuously then it will be effective. the thing is, you will never get strong training in rep ranges above 8-12.

doing 6 weeks of cluster-hst and anyone can gain more strength than normally in a year or years. whats the point in looking good when your gf can beat the **** out of you? srs, it feels good to be stronger than the biggest guy in almost every gym. imagine a girl is molested on the train by a group of guys. now you can take one and just throw him 10 feet against the window or out of the window if possible...lol. i think muscle should also be functional.
I can see what you're saying, but you're still wrong. this sentence here, "of course you can grow doing 30 reps. but if you alternate 5 reps with 30 reps, the 30 reps are cardio. only if you progress on 30 reps continuously then it will be effective" shows a huge lack of understanding about physiology. Changing rep schemes to anything other than linear progression is the most effective way to train.

Even power development (eg. 50-70% 1RM for 3-5 reps and 10-15 sets) is well below a threshold typically considered for strength, yet power development and strength and degrees of relativity and crossover.

I just Googled Cluster HST and they get a fundamental principle wrong:

Progressive Load
The muscle adapts the mechanical load, which makes hypertrophy no longer possibe, if you use the same weight over and over again. It conditions. To induce hypertrophy, you have to work out above the conditioning. Thats why weights have to be increased steadily. They are never to be decreased.

This is incorrect, and a principle that cannot be followed indefinitely. Increase 1kg on a lift per month? In 10 years you better be curling 120kg for 5 sets of 10 or else you won't grow according to this method. And that assumes you start at 0kg (just the air, lol).

Another false premise is this: Example: You want to benchpress 30 reps. It doesn't matter if you do them 6x5, 10x3 or 30x1. Every rep is worth the same, no matter if it's the one you start your "set" with, or if it's the one you end it with.

Of course it matters. This is just retarded. 30x1 has a completely different neurological and muscle adaptation than 1x30.

Not knocking the training, but its underlying principles are way out of touch with reality.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Woah what LOL.

You realize that, while things are made up of atoms, the # of electrons and their configuration changes the way they appear, right? Like, do you know what the periodic table is?

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I can see what you're saying, but you're still wrong. this sentence here, "of course you can grow doing 30 reps. but if you alternate 5 reps with 30 reps, the 30 reps are cardio. only if you progress on 30 reps continuously then it will be effective" shows a huge lack of understanding about physiology. Changing rep schemes to anything other than linear progression is the most effective way to train.

Even power development (eg. 50-70% 1RM for 3-5 reps and 10-15 sets) is well below a threshold typically considered for strength, yet power development and strength and degrees of relativity and crossover.

I just Googled Cluster HST and they get a fundamental principle wrong:

Progressive Load
The muscle adapts the mechanical load, which makes hypertrophy no longer possibe, if you use the same weight over and over again. It conditions. To induce hypertrophy, you have to work out above the conditioning. Thats why weights have to be increased steadily. They are never to be decreased.

This is incorrect, and a principle that cannot be followed indefinitely. Increase 1kg on a lift per month? In 10 years you better be curling 120kg for 5 sets of 10 or else you won't grow according to this method. And that assumes you start at 0kg (just the air, lol).

Another false premise is this: Example: You want to benchpress 30 reps. It doesn't matter if you do them 6x5, 10x3 or 30x1. Every rep is worth the same, no matter if it's the one you start your "set" with, or if it's the one you end it with.

Of course it matters. This is just retarded. 30x1 has a completely different neurological and muscle adaptation than 1x30.

Not knocking the training, but its underlying principles are way out of touch with reality.
Haycock's HST actually does utilize different rep schemes and detraining periods. Its kind of yhe basis of the entire thing.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Haycock's HST actually does utilize different rep schemes and detraining periods. Its kind of yhe basis of the entire thing.
Ah, so whoever said that was just misguided I think.

Was going to say. I've heard of HST but know nothing about it

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Woah what LOL.

You realize that, while things are made up of atoms, the # of electrons and their configuration changes the way they appear, right? Like, do you know what the periodic table is?
He doesn't need the periodic table. He's like Chuck Norris; the only element he recognizes is the element of surprise.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Its pointless to argue with someone saying : Reality is subjective.

Its like: You and I are in the woods. A tiger is stalking us in the bushes.
-Me: There is a tiger in the bush.
-He: Its a bunny with stripes. Because your reality is not my reality.
-He is going to pet the "bunny".

We all know the outcome.

Reality is A=A , it doesn't matter if someone perceives A as B, because A=A.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Its pointless to argue with someone saying : Reality is subjective.

Its like: You and I are in the woods. A tiger is stalking us in the bushes.
-Me: There is a tiger in the bush.
-He: Its a bunny with stripes. Because your reality is not my reality.
-He is going to pet the "bunny".

We all know the outcome.

Reality is A=A , it doesn't matter if someone perceives A as B, because A=A.

Epictetus said “it would be of no purpose to learn anything if it were to be adapted to each one’s particular humor.”

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Epictetus said “it would be of no purpose to learn anything if it were to be adapted to each one’s particular humor.”
I actually had to look up Epictetus, I first thought you refer to Epicurus.
I love philosophy and how it proves that the ancient were not stupid at all. :)

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I actually had to look up Epictetus, I first thought you refer to Epicurus.
I love philosophy and how it proves that the ancient were not stupid at all. :)
Fun fact: Epictetus was not a big fan of Epicurus at all. He directly calls out his philosophy at least a few times in his Discourses.

Edit: He pretty much says that Epicurus’ beliefs aren’t consistent with his actions:

“Thus Epicurus2 also, when he designs to destroy the natural fellowship of mankind, at the same time makes use of that which he destroys. For what does he say? 'Be not deceived, men, nor be led astray, nor be mistaken: there is no natural fellowship among rational animals; believe me. But those who say otherwise, deceive you and seduce you by false reasons.'—What is this to you? Permit us to be deceived. Will you fare worse, if all the rest of us are persuaded that there is a natural fellowship among us, and that it ought by all means to be preserved? Nay, it will be much better and safer for you. Man, why do you trouble yourself about us? Why do you keep awake for us? Why do you light your lamp? Why do you rise early? Why do you write so many books, that no one of us may be deceived about the gods and believe that they take care of men; or that no one may suppose the nature of good to be other than pleasure? For if this is so, lie down and sleep, and lead the life of a worm, of which you judged yourself worthy: eat and drink, and enjoy women, and ease yourself, and snore.3 And what is it to you, how the rest shall think about these things, whether right or wrong? For what have we to do with you? You take care of sheep because they supply us with wool and milk, and last of all with their flesh. Would it not be a desirable thing if men could be lulled and enchanted by the Stoics, and sleep and present themselves to you and to those like you to be shorn and milked?”

There’s more than that, and more sections on Epicurus, but the above explains his views on it pretty well IMO.

hairygrandpa

hairygrandpa

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Interesting. I think of myself as an Epicureanist -or hedonist. Will look into Epictetus and what's his objection.
Found this:

http://mavischao.blogspot.com/2006/07/post2-epicurus-vs-epictetus.html

Will read on this tomorrow with a cup of coffee.
Just quickly skimmed through it. In simple terms, Epictetus and the Stoics (the other most popular Stoic being the emperor Marcus Aurelius) believe that we should focus only on what is in our control; that this is what we should depend on for happiness, and that no one can deprive us of it, unlike external things, which we do not have control of. If we wish to have something that is not in our power, and fail to obtain it, we are miserable. Similarly, if we seek to avoid something and fall into it, we are also miserable. What is in our control is our thoughts and our perceptions. External things, jobs, riches, women, men, reputation, these are external and ultimately not in our power. Stoics only view what is in our power as good or bad, all else simply is; how you use it makes it good or bad. If you are self reliant (which they also say is reliant on God, or the gods), and only value what is in your power, that which no one can deprive you of, you are free. If, on the other hand, you view external things as your goals, then you become a salve to them, to obtaining them, and ultimately to those who can give or deny them to you. That doesn’t mean don’t enjoy things; the Stoics didn’t see anything wrong with having family, a wife, or possessions, only not to depend on them such that you would be unhappy if you lost them. It’s pretty similar to the Buddhist concept of non-attachment, which itself may be better stated as non-possessiveness. Epictetus uses the example of a banquet:

“Remember that you ought to behave in life as you would at a banquet. As something is being passed around it comes to you; stretch out your hand, take a portion of it politely. It passes on; do not detain it. Or it has not come to you yet; do not project your desire to meet it, but wait until it comes in front of you. So act toward children, so toward a wife, so toward office, so toward wealth."

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Epictetus was also very practical, and emphasized the importance of applying, practicing, and living by the philosophy that we read. That the value comes not from reciting it, but from applying it. He actually uses an athlete/lifter to demonstrate this:

“Suppose, for example, that in talking to an athlete, I said, ‘show me your shoulders,’ and then he answered, ‘Look at my jumping weights [sometimes translated as dumbbells].’ Go to, you and your jumping weights! What I want to see is the effect of the jumping weights.”

bb333

Awards
  • Established
I do not understand a **** when you write with your tongue tight narrow dialect or not, this topic is the icing on the cake!
But what are we talking about? ahahah

ManuR

Awards
  • Established
I do not understand a **** when you write with your tongue tight narrow dialect or not, this topic is the icing on the cake!
let me say this:
its one of the, if not the most entertaining thread since im registered.
but i am sure you do not miss any important points regarding bodybuilding if you dont understand the thread.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
let me say this:
its one of the, if not the most entertaining thread since im registered.
but i am sure you do not miss any important points regarding bodybuilding if you dont understand the thread.
Haha, this thread hasn’t had anything to do with bodybuilding in quite some time. It’s still a fun ride though.

danielmoo

danielmoo

Awards
  • Established
What a rollercoaster thread. 10/10, would read again.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Don't feel bad at all. English is my language and a lot of what muscleupcrohn put up is hard to make out haha.
muscleupcrohn - you may be the greatest philosopher in bodybuilding! Haha. Impressed as always.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Don't feel bad at all. English is my language and a lot of what muscleupcrohn put up is hard to make out haha.
muscleupcrohn - you may be the greatest philosopher in bodybuilding! Haha. Impressed as always.
Haha, thank you man. If it’s hard to understand, that means I️ can do a better job of explaining it.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Haha, thank you man. If it’s hard to understand, that means I️ can do a better job of explaining it.
I feel that way a lot...but...in this case, let's just say, it's not you, it's me.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I honestly don't know how you have so much memory space to be so knowledgeable about so many things.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I honestly don't know how you have so much memory space to be so knowledgeable about so many things.
Forget about the memory...how do you have the time to even read that much. Guy must be a spread reader.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Forget about the memory...how do you have the time to even read that much. Guy must be a spread reader.
Thanks. I️ really just enjoy reading and learning, be it training and supplementation, philosophy, religion, and politics, or just random nonsense haha. The real challenge is not being content to merely “know” things, but to apply them. For example, it is better for me to demonstrate my knowledge of the teachings of the Buddha or Jesus than it is for me to simply repeat what I️ have memorized, just as it is better for me to actually apply a training protocol than it is just for me to memorize it and “know” it. What good does proclaiming “I️ know what the Dhammapada or the Bhagavad Gita says is necessary to put an end to suffering” do? If I️ know it, the use comes from applying it. I say this as a reminder to myself, as sometimes I️ have a habit of accumulating more and more “knowledge” when I️ should focus more on applying what I️ already know. To explain these, I’ll quote some examples that explain it interestingly

From Epictetus (among many other similar examples of the importance of applying what we learn):

“sheep don't throw up the grass to show the shepherds how much they have eaten; but, inwardly digesting their food, they outwardly produce wool and milk. Thus, therefore, do you likewise not show theorems to the unlearned, but the actions produced by them after they have been digested.”

and from Eknath Easwaran:

“There is a tale of a man who found on the road a large stone bearing the words ‘Under me lies a great truth.’ The man strained to turn the stone over and finally succeeded. On the bottom was written, ‘Why do you want a new truth when you do not practice what you already know?’”

Relating it back to lifting, what good does it do me to learn about every training protocol and theory under the sun if I️ do not even apply any of it by actually going to the gym and working out?

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks. I️ really just enjoy reading and learning, be it training and supplementation, philosophy, religion, and politics, or just random nonsense haha. The real challenge is not being content to merely “know” things, but to apply them. For example, it is better for me to demonstrate my knowledge of the teachings of the Buddha or Jesus than it is for me to simply repeat what I️ have memorized, just as it is better for me to actually apply a training protocol than it is just for me to memorize it and “know” it. What good does proclaiming “I️ know what the Dhammapada or the Bhagavad Gita says is necessary to put an end to suffering” do? If I️ know it, the use comes from applying it. I say this as a reminder to myself, as sometimes I️ have a habit of accumulating more and more “knowledge” when I️ should focus more on applying what I️ already know. To explain these, I’ll quote some examples that explain it interestingly

From Epictetus (among many other similar examples of the importance of applying what we learn):

“sheep don't throw up the grass to show the shepherds how much they have eaten; but, inwardly digesting their food, they outwardly produce wool and milk. Thus, therefore, do you likewise not show theorems to the unlearned, but the actions produced by them after they have been digested.”

and from Eknath Easwaran:

“There is a tale of a man who found on the road a large dine bearing the words ‘Under me lies a great truth.’ The man strained to turn the stone over and finally succeeded. On the bottom was written, ‘Why do you want a new truth when you do not practice what you already know?’”

Relating it back to lifting, what good does it do me to learn about every training protocol and theory under the sun if I️ do not even apply any of it by actually going to the gym and working out?
Just keep digging that hole deeper man. Smarty pants.