sucks I'm this old now.... need moral support

Bnbabt611

Awards
Mind you everyone who has commented here and is talking about being in the best shape of their life in their 30's and 40's here is on TRT or uses steroids. I'm sorry but I'm reading the comments from guys here and looking at their posts and everyone's saying you can naturally be in better shape than the 20 somethings when you're 45 at the gym and they're lying. TEST LEVELS INDEED DECREASE WITH AGE AND HORMONES GET SCREWED. Go ahead guys flame me you're ****ing lying. The 50 year old deadlifting 500 pounds at the gym is on TRT, HGH and possibly using other anabolic drugs so we're talking 50 year olds who have the test levels of a 18 yr old or maybe even supra physiological test levels. I'm all for motivating and stuff but you aren't going to find many older guys on this forum who aren't on TRT or self prescribed TRT. People need to stop leaving out the importance of the drug aspect especially when it comes to older guys who are in amazing shape. I talk to these guys at my gym and every single one has told me they are on TRT and HGH every ****ing one
I agree with what you are saying here but I don't think anyone was trying to hide it in these posts. In my opinion, every man should be on some sort of hormone therapy by 50. Men age due to their decreasing HGH and testosterone levels--this leaves us with more estro than women by our 50s with noticeable female fat distributions and unable to recover after workouts. Hormone therapy is not only for getting you in shape and making you feel better, but it is beneficial for your long term health. I am 40 and have dabbled in illegal hormones, but I am not on TRT. I do not want to get on TRT until it is absolutely necessary; however, when I have to be on it , I am going to embrace it. I don't want to get old and fat and feel tired all the time--there is no need to. I know guys who are just completely out of shape, don't take care of themselves and take bp medicine, cholesterol medicine, and have diabetes...I look at them and think "just go to the f-ing gym" and get in shape. So taking hormones to get your system back to the correct or slightly higher levels shouldn't be thought of as any worse. The crazy thing is I just visited my mom & dad over the summer, and my dad is in all sorts of pain--shoulders aching, knees hurt, going to bed at like 8pm, etc. and he is 65. He does not know anything about testosterone or hormone replacement . I know he would benefit from it but it's such a taboo subject --for which I don't understand--that when I brought it up to my mom, she immediately said I was crazy. I refuse to let myself age that way--I am just as competitive in the gym today as I was when I was an 18 year old. For me, TRT and HGH once you hit your 40s + should be encouraged rather than stigmatized.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Not on TRT. Yet. Planning and investigating for next year. Not on Hormones either.

Also planning a nice cycle coming up prior to TRT. We will see.

Well stated Bnbabt611

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
By any metric I am in excellent, nay outstanding, physical condition. I train both for strength and cardio ,endurance and speed. But you know, not 21.

What surprises me is how much risk-adverse calculations enter into the equation now when considering this or that. Like I say, one injury would end my action hero career.

Then again, I get hit on by loads of divorced milfs of about age 38 on. I get more attention than in my 20s,30s due to the fit male pool my age being so tiny.

MustangMoss

MustangMoss

Awards
Okay this is an old a$$ thread I know but whether or not the original poster sees this is yet to be seen.

Through college (first 2 years) age 20 - lots of time and fast metabolism plus sports. Work out screw checking my diet. 6'0" 180lbs.

Marine corps until age 24- lots of cardio obviously but still lots of time and who care about the diet. Ate like crap and felt great and looked great. 6'0". 185 lbs.

Age 25 though 34 last 2 years of college, running around lots of time, after finishing college, just work normal hours then hit gym, path, whatever. Ate and drank what I want. 6'0" 186 lbs. Lean and mean chasing women and living good.

Age 35 wait for it.....found the wife, got married. Ate good, worked out, went out with wife still looking lean and mean at 6'0" 186 lbs.

Age 36 came kids.....career took off, worked out half as much and ate twice as much.....by age 38 6'0" 196 lbs. Slower metabolism and no more six pack abs (only in the fridge).

Late 38 thru now....Found the hour a day to get in the gym, organize schedule to fit in good diet, time with kids, quality time with wife, and maintain good career, still hit the gym while being aware of the diet. Now 6'2" 221 lbs solid with 8% BF.

See the pattern. In the 20's you have no baggage and a high metabolism so a little working out goes a long way.

Once wife, kids, work get in the picture you have to make a conscious effort to pay attention to body changes and diet and workout plan. I am now a whopping 47 yrs old. I feel good, full of energy, muscular, active. Basically it is easy to let yourself go and expect your body to not change. Then you visit your mama and she tells you at 38 years old that you have put on some weight. Then you look inn the mirror and at some recent pics. And whalah !!!! I look like crap and feel like crap. So then it is up to you to get it back or end up in the lazy boy watching TV, drinking beer and shopping for XXL shirts and size 36-38 pants! Wake up call. Hope this helps!!!

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Okay this is an old a$$ thread I know but whether or not the original poster sees this is yet to be seen.

Through college (first 2 years) age 20 - lots of time and fast metabolism plus sports. Work out screw checking my diet. 6'0" 180lbs.

Marine corps until age 24- lots of cardio obviously but still lots of time and who care about the diet. Ate like crap and felt great and looked great. 6'0". 185 lbs.

Age 25 though 34 last 2 years of college, running around lots of time, after finishing college, just work normal hours then hit gym, path, whatever. Ate and drank what I want. 6'0" 186 lbs. Lean and mean chasing women and living good.

Age 35 wait for it.....found the wife, got married. Ate good, worked out, went out with wife still looking lean and mean at 6'0" 186 lbs.

Age 36 came kids.....career took off, worked out half as much and ate twice as much.....by age 38 6'0" 196 lbs. Slower metabolism and no more six pack abs (only in the fridge).

Late 38 thru now....Found the hour a day to get in the gym, organize schedule to fit in good diet, time with kids, quality time with wife, and maintain good career, still hit the gym while being aware of the diet. Now 6'2" 221 lbs solid with 8% BF.

See the pattern. In the 20's you have no baggage and a high metabolism so a little working out goes a long way.

Once wife, kids, work get in the picture you have to make a conscious effort to pay attention to body changes and diet and workout plan. I am now a whopping 47 yrs old. I feel good, full of energy, muscular, active. Basically it is easy to let yourself go and expect your body to not change. Then you visit your mama and she tells you at 38 years old that you have put on some weight. Then you look inn the mirror and at some recent pics. And whalah !!!! I look like crap and feel like crap. So then it is up to you to get it back or end up in the lazy boy watching TV, drinking beer and shopping for XXL shirts and size 36-38 pants! Wake up call. Hope this helps!!!
Sounds like you need to drop the wife and kids to get back in shape .

Seriously tho, I feel you...Same thing here, competed BBing in 90's, always lean, met wife, she got the weight lifting bug, 2 a day cardio sessions, then kids, real careers etc etc

Cycloman

Awards
  • Established
Ditto on the above. With age comes the need for greater discipline and consistency in training otherwise it goes downhill real fast.

Now, just curious - anyone here on TRT but had normal T? I have two doctors that are recommending this for me (I'm 50 y/o but with natty levels in the 600 but they recommend being over 1000 total T.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
There is absolutely no reason to be on TRT with test levels like that and the doctors telling you to be ~1000 are off their rockers. If there are actual symptoms, you need to find out what is causing it, and it is not testosterone.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm at 420 (2 years ago) and aside from the obvious funny my doc thinks it may be ok at 51. I'm like. Really? How is that ok? He softened a lot after that.

Looking at TRT.
Wondering how they arrive at dosing protocols.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Not chasing here. Demanding. I'd be happy with 700 unbound T. What's wrong with chasing anyway?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What's wrong with it? By definition it is to pursue something and if you are continually going after a number rather than addressing underlying issues and feeling better, you are set up for failure. Numbers mean nothing other than determining if you are in physiological ranges. Once that is determined, you treat the symptoms. So when doctors throw out arbitrary numbers, they really have no idea what they are talking about because they pulled it from the sky. To say that a person should be X does not take into account how individualistic hormones are and how many other factors are involved outside of testosterone.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What's wrong with it? By definition it is to pursue something and if you are continually going after a number rather than addressing underlying issues and feeling better, you are set up for failure. Numbers mean nothing other than determining if you are in physiological ranges. Once that is determined, you treat the symptoms. So when doctors throw out arbitrary numbers, they really have no idea what they are talking about because they pulled it from the sky. To say that a person should be X does not take into account how individualistic hormones are and how many other factors are involved outside of testosterone.
Thank you for clarifying. Hence my question about how they arrive at a protocol. Getting a full panel in Feb. Will be looking at all of it.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That is the way to go. Make sure they are testing for the following:

CBC w/ lipids
total test
free test
SHBG
FSH
LH
thyroid (TSH, t3, t4, free t4)
cortisol (saliva)
DHEAS
pregnenolone
estradiol (if possible, some doctors won't test for this in males)

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Is it known what benefit bound testosterone performs in the body?

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
From my knowledge, there isn't a benefit, it just happens to be part of homeostasis and is bound largely to SHBG as part of normal endocrine function. My understanding is that this just naturally occurs and that there isn't an actual benefit and that benefits come from freeing that as bioavailable.