Shoulder Injured / In the middle of a cut- How to proceed?

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
That's what most do. Yet the give away is great ER and poor IR(often), because all surrounding syngerists and antagonist will be upregulated. The rotator cuff muscles are the only ones perfectly attached for pulling the humerus without potentially pulling it out of the GH, so when, for example, the lats, teres major and pecs are up regulated (especially the first two), (or there's serious restrictions in mobility) it may force the humeral head out of centration in the GH. Poor scapular articulation may do the same. A common impingement problem is when the scapula is elevated during OHP, rather than bracing around the thorax. Up regulating the synergists and antagonists to create stability is usually the culprit of chronic tightness in the shoulder.
good info mate!
I know yall cant diagnose me cause you cant evaluate me in person, but is there any test, exercise, stretch, etc that i can perform and let yall know the results that can diagnose my problem? Im heck bent on figuring this out, and between the 3 of us i think we can diagnose my problem and then come up with a plan to fix it!

I can pull out a goniometer if needed to measure internal and external rotation if needed!

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Awards
The IR is almost definitely a subscap problem. However the scapula may be contributing the dysfunction. You already got good advice from braski regarding training the rtc and leveling scapula. Put a pic that shows your posture and it will be easier to give a better diagnosis. Also a pic showing position of your shoulder blades when relaxed.

braskibra

braskibra

Awards
Good points kt:

Id measure:
Both arms
Make sure u do these properly with stabilization of coracoid on IR
IR
ER
Total arc of motion (ir plus er)
Flexion

Hawkins kennedy
Neers impingement
Passive er to end range for internal impingement
Horizontal abduction to end range then full passive er
Full can
Bear hug test in three positions, lift off
Apleys scratch
Full can

Labral testing
O briens
Jerk test
Clunk test
Anterior/post apprehensions
Etc

All in magee orthopedics pull up book perform tests report results, there are more you can add in

Suspicion is an articular sided rtc pathology either rubbing or fraying on post humerus/labrum with or without concomitant posterior labral issue

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
I have to say after the first half of this thread I had to start using Google to understand what anyone is saying here but very good info. What field do you guys work in if you don't mind me asking? I'm ready to post a pic of my posture to be diagnosed myself. Lol

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
I have to say after the first half of this thread I had to start using Google to understand what anyone is saying here but very good info. What field do you guys work in if you don't mind me asking? I'm ready to post a pic of my posture to be diagnosed myself. Lol
Im in school for physical therapy.

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Awards
Educating yourself is incredibly important for staying healthy. So keep googling buddy!

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
Im in school for physical therapy.
Aaahh that explains it. Good luck on your shoulder bro, mine is feeling better lately. I did a 4 day workout week last week and just skipped doing tris/bis to lessen the work load.

Educating yourself is incredibly important for staying healthy. So keep googling buddy!
It is I agree but these type of injuries you're not fully aware until it really happens. That's why I'm starting to learn the functionality of our shoulders in depth so I can avoid it in the future.

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Awards
It is I agree but these type of injuries you're not fully aware until it really happens. That's why I'm starting to learn the functionality of our shoulders in depth so I can avoid it in the future.
Spot on, mate!

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
Yes, id recommend following Modified sleeper: 60,90,120 for posterior shoulder tightness (post shoulder tightness leads to post/supero humeral translation and resulting anterior laxity) Pec minor stretch: 30. Degrees abduction Long head of triceps stretch Neuromuscular re ed of scap stabilization: this must take place before strengthening to ensure proper muscle firing sequence: Pushups with plus, horizontal abduction,scap retraction, close grip rowing Rtc strengthening: strengthening infra and supra and sub Incorporation into movement patterns: work firing sequence into common patterns you perform
Spot on, mate!
It may be hard to believe, but my shoulder is lots better in like a week in a half! Just want to thank yall for that! Ive been stretching, working my subscap, infra, and supra, also im doing the sleeper stretch and it has helped tons! Also been strengthening serratus and doing some soft tissue massage with a tennis ball! Thanks again guys! Just curious, do yall think the subscap work or the sleeper stretch has helped the most?

braskibra

braskibra

Awards
Impossible to determine! Great to hear the news!

kjetil1234

kjetil1234

Awards
Serratus, subscap weakness and tight ER are very common culprits. Happy to hear that you're better man :)