Should I do less reps for deadlifting?

Cokeboyz

Awards
I usually do 4*8 for all my excersises, but I noticed for deadlifts I usually get tired alot faster and Cant usually finish. My deadlift is still my highest lift but I just get tired way quicker and can't do as many reps with my work weight. Is this normal? Should I use a lower rep range for this excersise?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I never go above sets of 5 on deads. The stabilizers fatigue faster than the primary movers and increases chances of injury.

Cokeboyz

Awards
Can you still build mass with a low amount of reps like that?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I do 2 sets of deadlifts 4-6 reps and this is one of the best decisions I've ever made. Anything higher than 2 sets of 6 give me very bad headaches despite trying different breathing techniques.

ITW

ITW

Awards
Sets of 3-5 is where it's at. Personally I've been running into trouble with my grip lately

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Lol , the day I switched from sets of 5+ on deadlifts , to keeping it under 5 reps, and specially sets of 2-3 reps...My deadlift started going up and it started being a faster motion.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Lol , the day I switched from sets of 5+ on deadlifts , to keeping it under 5 reps, and specially sets of 2-3 reps...My deadlift started going up and it started being a faster motion.
Imagine tryign to do 3 sets of 12...yeah thats why I do low reps with deads now. Plenty of nights I felt like passing out.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Doing sets of 12 on the deadlift makes zero sense. I can get behind doing one all-out set of 12, but not multiple sets.

I have always kept my deadlifts to sets of 4 or less. On DC I would do a set of 3-6 followed by an all out set aiming for 10, but I would only do those 2 sets, and most of my warmups after 405 would be with singles.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Doing sets of 12 on the deadlift makes zero sense. I can get behind doing one all-out set of 12, but not multiple sets.

I have always kept my deadlifts to sets of 4 or less. On DC I would do a set of 3-6 followed by an all out set aiming for 10, but I would only do those 2 sets, and most of my warmups after 405 would be with singles.
Hey take it easy on me, I'm still learning lol. I had to learn things the hard way sometimes.

Nico1

Nico1

Awards
Agree with rep range of 3-5 go heavy it'll Deff be worth it..too much chance Of injury with the higher reps

boogyman

Awards
I never go above 5 either. For that matter, I usually keep it to 5 reps or less for the majority of heavy compound movements, and do 8-12 for most isolation or accessory stuff.

ITW

ITW

Awards
I never go above 5 either. For that matter, I usually keep it to 5 reps or less for the majority of heavy compound movements, and do 8-12 for most isolation or accessory stuff.
Same here. Best of both worlds IMO

newbreed

Awards
That's like my workouts. Works well for me.

StangBanger

StangBanger

Awards
I do

10 (basically just warm up, form check), 5, 5, 3, 2

or

10, 5, 2, 2, 1

Reactions: ITW
AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards