Roid rage studies, lets put this benoit **** to rest

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Alright ive been doing quite a bit of research over the years and i have yet to find a study confirming the EXISTENCE of roid rage. im talking objective, properly dosed studies, prefferably double blind.

again, i have not found ONE study confirming the EXISTENCE of roid rage. lets see what people can come up with.

i wish these idiot newscasters could see this thread.

jagleaso

Awards
I don't think there is any doubt that steroid use can lead to rage episodes... I also have no doubt that Mr. Wrestler had issues going on that likely played a larger role in his actions than his steroid use alone.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
well you know what, that may be the case. but they people want to throw facts and figures in our faces like they are being the most objective people in the world. if they want to be objective, lets be objective. SHOW ME A GODDMAN STUDY

CMurda

Awards
"Steroids dont kill people, people kill poeple!"

SubliminalX

SubliminalX

Awards
  • Established
Here's a testosterone study in "normal" men. Concluded that no significant changes in mental health were noted. Although it did pose the possibility that testosterone administration can aggravate pre-existing mental issues.

Attachments

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Roid rage is a loose term. What is specifically meant by "Roid Rage"? Are we trying to find something that says steroids will make you angry and hate everybody? I was under the impression that testosterone can make a person aggressive, but to snap out and go psycopathic on some people, that just sounds like you've got some personal issues.

There's also a common anecdotal symptom, yet to be documented though, posing that steroids make some users want to have sex with goats.

bearmeat

Awards
  • Established
Jomi, I think someone could just as easily demand from you proof that roid rage does not exist. I suppose burden of proof would be on them but I'm just playing devil's advocate. Also, you cannot avoid the anecdotal evidence that some people feel more aggressive on roids. I do not think roids would bring you to kill your family however. Anyways, here are studies supporting steroids do not increase aggressive behavior.

J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1996 Oct;81(10):3754-8.
The effects of supraphysiological doses of testosterone on angry behavior in healthy eugonadal men--a clinical research center study.
Tricker R, Casaburi R, Storer TW, Clevenger B, Berman N, Shirazi A, Bhasin S.

Division of Endocrinology, Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science, Los Angeles, California 90059, USA.

Anecdotal reports of "roid rage" and violent crimes by androgenic steroid users have brought attention to the relationship between anabolic steroid use and angry outbursts. However, testosterone effects on human aggression remain controversial. Previous studies have been criticized because of the low androgen doses, lack of placebo control or blinding, and inclusion of competitive athletes and those with preexisting psychopathology. To overcome these pitfalls, we used a double-blind, placebo-controlled design, excluded competitive athletes and those with psychiatric disorders, and used 600 mg testosterone enanthate (TE)/week. Forty-three eugonadal men, 19-40 yr, were randomized to 1 of 4 groups: Group I, placebo, no exercise; Group II, TE, no exercise; Group III, placebo, exercise; Group IV, TE plus exercise. Exercise consisted of thrice weekly strength training sessions. The Multi-Dimensional Anger Inventory (MAI), which includes 5 different dimensions of anger (inward anger, outward anger, anger arousal, hostile outlook, and anger eliciting situations), and a Mood Inventory (MI), which includes items related to mood and behavior, were administered to subjects before, during, and after the 10 week intervention. The subject's significant other (spouse, live-in partner, or parent) also answered the same questions about the subject's mood and behavior (Observer Mood Inventory, OMI). No differences were observed between exercising and nonexercising and between placebo and TE treated subjects for any of the 5 subdomains of MAI. Overall there were no significant changes in MI or OMI during the treatment period in any group. Conclusion: Supraphysiological doses of testosterone, when administered to normal men in a controlled setting, do not increase angry behavior. These data do not exclude the possibility that still higher doses of multiple steroids might provoke angry behavior in men with preexisting psychopathology.

PMID: 8855834

J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004 Jun;89(6):2837-45.
Effects of testosterone on mood, aggression, and sexual behavior in young men: a double-blind, placebo-controlled, cross-over study.
O'Connor DB, Archer J, Wu FC.

Department of Endocrinology, Manchester Royal Infirmary, United Kingdom. d.b.o'[email protected]

The prospects of wider application of testosterone (T) in novel indications such as male contraception have prompted renewed interest in the investigation of nonreproductive actions and safety of androgens. This study investigated potential changes in mood and behavior in response to elevations in circulating T concentrations produced by the new long-acting preparation, T undecanoate (TU). Twenty-eight eugonadal men were randomized into one of two treatment groups: A1) active, receiving 1000 mg TU i.m. followed by A2) washout, followed by A3) placebo, receiving 4 ml castor oil i.m.; B1) placebo, 4 ml castor oil i.m.; B2) washout followed by B3) active, receiving 1000 mg TU i.m.. Mood, self- and partner-reported physical and verbal aggression, anger, hostility, irritability, assertiveness, self-esteem, and sexual function were assessed. A single injection of 1000 mg TU i.m. increased plasma T concentrations from 20.7 +/- 1.5 to 37.5 +/- 2.2 nmol/liter at wk 1 and 31.6 +/- 1.5 nmol/liter at wk 2, and estradiol from 74.0 +/- 4.9 to 120.4 +/- 10.7 pmol/liter at wk 1, and 100.0 +/- 6.3 pmol/liter at wk 2. The T increment was associated with detectable but minor mood changes. Increased circulating T was associated with significant increases in anger-hostility from baseline (mean score = 7.48) to wk 2 (mean score = 10.71) accompanied by an overall reduction in fatigue-inertia (treatment = 6.21 vs. placebo = 7.84). TU treatment did not increase aggressive behavior or induce any changes in nonaggressive or sexual behavior. Changes in estradiol were not associated with any behavioral alterations. Our results suggest that exogenous TU-induced elevation of circulating T, to the range likely to be used in hormonal male contraception, has limited psychological effects. Future research should investigate the implications of these minor mood changes.

PMID: 15181066

Physiol Behav. 2002 Apr 1;75(4):557-66.
Exogenous testosterone, aggression, and mood in eugonadal and hypogonadal men.
O'Connor DB, Archer J, Hair WM, Wu FC.

Department of Endocrinology, Manchester Royal Infirmary, Manchester M13 9WL, UK. [email protected]

To investigate (1) the effects of exogenous testosterone (T) on self- and partner-reported aggression and mood and (2) the role of trait impulsivity in the T-aggression relationship. Thirty eugonadal men with partners were randomized into two treatment groups to receive: (1) 200 mg im T enanthate weekly for 8 weeks or (2) 200 mg im sodium chloride weekly for 8 weeks. Eight hypogonadal men received 200 mg im T enanthate biweekly for 8 weeks. All groups completed a battery of behavior measures at baseline (Week 0) and at Weeks 4 and 8. Cognitive and motor impulsivity were the only predictors of self-reported total aggression (over and above age and T levels) at Weeks 0, 4, and 8. No significant changes in aggression or mood levels were found in the eugonadal-treated group. Significant reductions in negative mood (tension, anger, and fatigue) followed by an increase in vigor were found in response to T treatment in the hypogonadal group. These results demonstrate that inability to control one's behavior when such control is required by a particular situation (impulsivity) was found to significantly predict levels of aggression over and above age and T level. These data do not support the hypothesis that supraphysiological levels of T (within this range) lead to an increase in self- and partner-reported aggression or mood disturbances. Instead, for the first time, this study has identified the high level of negative affect experienced by hypogonadal patients. These findings have implications for T replacement therapy and male contraception.

PMID: 12062320

J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1992 Dec;75(6):1503-7.
The effects of exogenous testosterone on sexuality and mood of normal men.
Anderson RA, Bancroft J, Wu FC.

Medical Research Council Reproductive Biology Unit, Centre for Reproductive Biology, Edinburgh, Scotland.

The effects of supraphysiological levels of testosterone, used for male contraception, on sexual behavior and mood were studied in a single-blind, placebo-controlled manner in a group of 31 normal men. After 4 weeks of baseline observations, the men were randomized into two groups: one group received 200 mg testosterone enanthate (TE) weekly by im injection for 8 weeks (Testosterone Only group), the other received placebo injections once weekly for the first 4 weeks followed by TE 200 mg weekly for the following 4 weeks (Placebo/Testosterone group). The testosterone administration increased trough plasma testosterone levels by 80%, compatible with peak testosterone levels 400-500% above baseline. Various aspects of sexuality were assessed using sexuality experience scales (SES) questionnaires at the end of each 4-week period while sexual activity and mood states were recorded by daily dairies and self-rating scales. In both groups there was a significant increase in scores in the Psychosexual Stimulation Scale of the SES (i.e. SES 2) following testosterone administration, but not with placebo. There were no changes in SES 3, which measures aspects of sexual interaction with the partner. In both groups there were no changes in frequency of sexual intercourse, masturbation, or penile erection on waking nor in any of the moods reported. The Placebo/Testosterone group showed an increase in self-reported interest in sex during testosterone treatment but not with placebo. The SES 2 results suggest that sexual awareness and arousability can be increased by supraphysiological levels of testosterone. However, these changes are not reflected in modifications of overt sexual behavior, which in eugonadal men may be more determined by sexual relationship factors. This contrasts with hypogonadal men, in whom testosterone replacement clearly stimulates sexual behavior. There was no evidence to suggest an alteration in any of the mood states studied, in particular those associated with increased aggression. We conclude that supraphysiological levels of testosterone maintained for up to 2 months can promote some aspects of sexual arousability without stimulating sexual activity in eugonadal men within stable heterosexual relationships. Raising testosterone does not increase self-reported ratings of aggressive feelings.

sdmf45

sdmf45

Awards
  • Established
raging hamsters? :wtf: i have never had a "roid rage". i have never noticed increased aggression towards people on steroids.

Some of the people i know have the worst tempers in the world and have never touched steroids.

**fox news are a bunch of fags!

sdmf45

sdmf45

Awards
  • Established
"Currently, three blind studies have demonstrated a link between aggression and steroid use, but with estimates of over 1 million past or current steroid users in the United states, an extremely small percentage of those using steroids appear to have experienced mental disturbance severe enough to result in clinical treatments or medical case reports.[79] In contrast, the majority of recent studies done on angry behavior and anabolic steroid use show little or no psychological effect, implying that either "roid rage" does not exist or that anabolic steroids' effects on aggression are often too small to be measured. "

thats from wikipedia.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
"Currently, three blind studies have demonstrated a link between aggression and steroid use, but with estimates of over 1 million past or current steroid users in the United states, an extremely small percentage of those using steroids appear to have experienced mental disturbance severe enough to result in clinical treatments or medical case reports.[79] In contrast, the majority of recent studies done on angry behavior and anabolic steroid use show little or no psychological effect, implying that either "roid rage" does not exist or that anabolic steroids' effects on aggression are often too small to be measured. "

thats from wikipedia.

Wikipedia says that furzabol is M4OHN. I've changed it to what it really is on several occasions, but someone changed it back each time. What I'm getting at is that with wikipedia......you get what you paid for.

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I don't think there is any doubt that steroid use can lead to rage episodes... I also have no doubt that Mr. Wrestler had issues going on that likely played a larger role in his actions than his steroid use alone.
I have never seen a juicer go into what I would call a rage. I've seen skinny dudes juice up and feel like instant tough guys. But they acted like that off cycle to. I think the cocky want to fight attitude is more attributed to the feeling of being more powerful. Like I said I've known numerous juicers and never seen an episode of rage. Another possibility is the same deal as the study that gave people fake beer and they still acted drunk. I think people want to feel the rage. I did know one dude that took andro and claimed it got him really aggressive before the gym.lol

UNCfan1

UNCfan1

Awards
  • Established
:toofunny: This made me crack up!

Isn't the potential to be aggressive in everybody, its part of human nature, and survival. You can easily see that some people are more mild than others, but I think most of this people aren't in any kind of great shape. Of course when you build some muscle mass your ego is gonna go up and you will feel better about yourself. In turn your tolerance to taking **** will be lowered because you don't have to anymore, you're a bully, not a victim. I personally don't tolerate **** anymore. I don't know where I'm going with this.
I know where ur going with this and it makes perfect sense.

I wish the media would look into Benoit's history. He has had issues with acohol and abuse. Now let's look into his profession. He is hardly at home and has no time to fully recover. That will take a huge toll on someone's mind and body. So what does he turn to for help. Acohol, pain pills and steroids. He was also having issues with his son's disability. He hid it from the world. I wish they would realize thats its the combo of all these things and not just steroids.

Also would someone please shut Debra Austin the fcuk up!

Sorry to sidetrack this thread.

sdmf45

sdmf45

Awards
  • Established
Wikipedia says that furzabol is M4OHN. I've changed it to what it really is on several occasions, but someone changed it back each time. What I'm getting at is that with wikipedia......you get what you paid for.
damn you wikipedia! :lol:

BasConnery

BasConnery

Awards
Roid Rage

Ok, FIRST things first...

1) you hear about murder suicides all the time, at least monthly if not every other week. Do they immediately start investigating the guy and point at the 120lbs weaklings as a case of "roid rage"

2) What Benoit did was not an act of RAGE...whether steroids make you aggressive and have outbursts has NOTHING TO DO with a person murdering his wife, placing a bible beside her, WAITING 24 HRS and then murdering his son, placing a bible beside him and then hanging himself 24 hrs later. This is not Rage! This is CRAZY.

Do steroids make you crazy? If you're already crazy it probably doesn't help.

BUT the newsmedia tries to blame lock stock and barrel of this incident on anabolic steroids. WHY? jealousy for those who are bigger than them, better shape than them, have better lives than them because most people who use anabolics live better lives, take better care of themselves and generally care about their appearance more. The FAT, KFC, Burger King eating press doesn't like that. The steroid user probably had sex with their wives or something and made them mad.

It's purely political and one incident out of 75 years of steroid use is looked at as if the steroids themselves jumped out and asphyxiated the man's wife according to the media.

It is a LIE. The media and the courts do not care about finding the truth or the facts, the media cares about sensationalism and the courts are now political figureheads who "make examples" out of anything hot on the political market.

festus

festus

Awards
Whether or not "roid rage" is real or not, Benoit was obviously not in a rage when he did that. If he was, wouldn't he have beat them to death or something? Isn't that what the word rage implies?
I think there are definitely some steroids that make you more agressive and more likely to fly off the handle. That's why I think you should be physically and mentally mature before cycling.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
It's roid rage because stare-oids make you all big and crazy!! That's proof right there! :nut:

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Maybe roid rage is only experienced by novice, ignorant users when they grow boobs and don't make any gains. :think:

UnrealMachine

UnrealMachine

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
roid rage

90% media frenzy
9% placebo effect
1% real

UnrealMachine

UnrealMachine

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
dadream

dadream

Awards
  • Established
It really makes me sick to see all the blame put on steriods. The news is oblivious to the fact that he must have had mental issues. Like it was stated earlier its all about sensationalism and what can capture the audiences already short attention span. So throw in steriods and roid rage and the media has captured our attention. Anyways bottom line roid rage should not exist in responisble users unless they want it to.

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
look most of us on here know certain drugs, such as tren, are going to have an affect in some people that can result in a bit of a short fuse, not rage per se, but irritability.

what irritates ME is the broad sweeping generalizations and misinformation i am seeing, combined with so called "experts" that have no studies or expertise to back them up. its truly ludacris.

UnrealMachine

UnrealMachine

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
the misinformation surrounding most drugs is pitiful, and it's probably worst with steroids. I just dont know why many RX drugs with potential for sides and abuse, alcohol, even "dangerous" sports are all socially acceptable while steroids, probably the only drug that makes you "better" is considered self destructive.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
look most of us on here know certain drugs, such as tren, are going to have an affect in some people that can result in a bit of a short fuse, not rage per se, but irritability.

what irritates ME is the broad sweeping generalizations and misinformation i am seeing, combined with so called "experts" that have no studies or expertise to back them up. its truly ludacris.
THESE GLITTERING GENERALITIES MAKE ME WANT TO KILL TOO!! AHHH!!! **injects some more tren**

BIGG DOGG

BIGG DOGG

Awards
  • Established
Whether Its Real Or Not It Doesnt Last For Three Days... What He Did Was Premeditated... Homeboy Was Looped... They Need To Let His Dr. Go He Didnt Kill Anyone... And Give Me His Number Why Your At It...haha...

jomi822

jomi822

Banned
Awards
  • Established
the toxicology shows that his son was sedated with a ****load of xanax.

does anyone have a link to actualy numbers? his test levels were "10x that of a normal man" but i still have yet to see the actualy ng/dl measurement.

RedwolfWV

RedwolfWV

Awards
  • Established
They said them on the radio, but I'll be damned if I can remember.