Pros and/or Cons of Intra-Workout Carbs

Jackedjack

Jackedjack

Awards
mrcooper69 how did you get to become so knowledgable in the cellular biology field. What did you major in college?...if you went to college

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Food for thought.....

Kind of off subject but should be noted....

Isnt intra workout nutrition and IIFYM contradictory to each other?
I think you're thinking of intermittent fasting, no?

If the carbs are built into IIFYM why would they contradict each other?

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
IIFYM isn't a diet lol. Its supposed to allow people who have an 80-90% good diet, eat 10-20% bad food to "fit their macros".

Spaniard

Spaniard

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
IIFYM isn't a diet lol. Its supposed to allow people who have an 80-90% good diet, eat 10-20% bad food to "fit their macros".
I don't think anyone said it was a diet... lol

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Supposed to being key. It turns into a lazy calorie is a calorie argument.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I believe the point he is trying to make is that intra nutrition should be that last 5% of one's diet that is used for an advantage, after the other 95% is optimized.

I personally wouldn't be putting a ton of focus on my intra nutrition if the rest of my diet still had room for improvement.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is from a post from Bill on an ArA thread:

Lipids. 1997 Apr;32(4):427-33.

The effect of dietary arachidonic acid on plasma lipoprotein distributions, apoproteins, blood lipid levels, and tissue fatty acid composition in humans.

Normal healthy male volunteers (n = 10) were fed diets (high-AA) containing 1.7 g/d of arachidonic acid (AA) for 50 d. The control (low-AA) diet contained 210 mg/d of AA. Dietary AA had no statistically significant effect on the blood cholesterol levels, lipoprotein distribution, or apoprotein levels. Adipose tissue fatty acid composition was not influenced by AA feeding. The plasma total fatty acid composition was markedly enriched in AA after 50 d (P < 0.005). The fatty acid composition of plasma lipid fractions, cholesterol esters, triglycerides, free fatty acids, and phospholipid (PL) showed marked differences in the degree of enrichment in AA. The PL plasma fraction from the subjects consuming the low-AA diet contained 10.3% AA while the subjects who consumed the high-AA diet had plasma PL fractions containing 19.0% AA. The level of 22:4n-6 also was different (0.67 to 1.06%) in the plasma PL fraction after 50 d of AA feeding. After consuming the high-AA diet, the total red blood cell fatty acid composition was significantly enriched in AA which mainly replaced linoleic acid. These results indicate that dietary AA is incorporated into tissue lipids, but selectively into different tissues and lipid classes. Perhaps more importantly, the results demonstrate that dietary AA does not alter blood lipids or lipoprotein levels or have obvious adverse health effects at this level and duration of feeding.

Isn't that suggesting that ArA inherently has affinity to be taken up by certain tissues whilst not in others?

fightnews

fightnews

Awards
  • Established
So what is the consensus? Do you use intra carbs with ArA or not? Or does it matter?
well i use intra carbs regularly and i just finished a bottle of xfactor, i used them together, is this not good?

fightnews

fightnews

Awards
  • Established
Under the IIFYM premiss you could drink kool-aid and eat beef jerky during your workout and it'd be the same as PP/HBCD
who wants to do that though? to me 1 of the main benefits of intra carbs and casein hydro is not have to worry about eating a big meal before training. kinda like protein powder, ya maybe you don't technically need it if you eat enough but who wants to spend all day eating/prepping food?

fightnews

fightnews

Awards
  • Established
id rather just eat the 80=90% good food and skip the 10-20% junk.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
This is from a post from Bill on an ArA thread:

Lipids. 1997 Apr;32(4):427-33.

The effect of dietary arachidonic acid on plasma lipoprotein distributions, apoproteins, blood lipid levels, and tissue fatty acid composition in humans.

Normal healthy male volunteers (n = 10) were fed diets (high-AA) containing 1.7 g/d of arachidonic acid (AA) for 50 d. The control (low-AA) diet contained 210 mg/d of AA. Dietary AA had no statistically significant effect on the blood cholesterol levels, lipoprotein distribution, or apoprotein levels. Adipose tissue fatty acid composition was not influenced by AA feeding. The plasma total fatty acid composition was markedly enriched in AA after 50 d (P < 0.005). The fatty acid composition of plasma lipid fractions, cholesterol esters, triglycerides, free fatty acids, and phospholipid (PL) showed marked differences in the degree of enrichment in AA. The PL plasma fraction from the subjects consuming the low-AA diet contained 10.3% AA while the subjects who consumed the high-AA diet had plasma PL fractions containing 19.0% AA. The level of 22:4n-6 also was different (0.67 to 1.06%) in the plasma PL fraction after 50 d of AA feeding. After consuming the high-AA diet, the total red blood cell fatty acid composition was significantly enriched in AA which mainly replaced linoleic acid. These results indicate that dietary AA is incorporated into tissue lipids, but selectively into different tissues and lipid classes. Perhaps more importantly, the results demonstrate that dietary AA does not alter blood lipids or lipoprotein levels or have obvious adverse health effects at this level and duration of feeding.

Isn't that suggesting that ArA inherently has affinity to be taken up by certain tissues whilst not in others?
No, it doesn't. Read about the biological fate of ArA in different tissues, espec. adipose

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No, it doesn't. Read about the biological fate of ArA in different tissues, espec. adipose
So what does happen to it? Going by what Bill posted, there's obviously ArA level build up in different places but it doesn't appear to impact adipose tissue FA composition. Also, going by what Bill posted, that specific safety study it would appear that these people are not trained individuals and likely did not take the ArA alone in a fasted state (since this was dietary ArA from diet).

The point is, if the insulin response is going to be shuttling the ArA to places we don’t want it to, why is this not showing up in the safety study, especially in the adipose tissue FA composition yet other areas we see increases?

From what Bill posted which looks to be an excerpt from Lipids 1997 April:

"These results indicate that dietary AA is incorporated into tissue lipids, but selectively into different tissues and lipid classes."

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
So what does happen to it? Going by what Bill posted, there's obviously ArA level build up in different places but it doesn't appear to impact adipose tissue FA composition. Also, going by what Bill posted, that specific safety study it would appear that these people are not trained individuals and likely did not take the ArA alone in a fasted state (since this was dietary ArA from diet).

The point is, if the insulin response is going to be shuttling the ArA to places we don’t want it to, why is this not showing up in the safety study, especially in the adipose tissue FA composition yet other areas we see increases?

From what Bill posted which looks to be an excerpt from Lipids 1997 April:

"These results indicate that dietary AA is incorporated into tissue lipids, but selectively into different tissues and lipid classes."
I'm trying to get you to do your own research rather than regurgitate falseties. Do it. I can't hold your hand through everything...

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm trying to get you to do your own research rather than regurgitate falseties. Do it. I can't hold your hand through everything...
I didn't go to school for this :p Basically I don't know the search terms I should be using, I've tried quite a few already, lol.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
"The notion that carbohydrate supplements were useless and the various position statements of sporting bodies all over the world just a concession to the sponsoring money of the industry is thus unwarranted"

That's from the article.

So, IMO, if you wish to give it a try, go for it. If not, that's fine as well. It's just silly to lump intra carbs into the category of "Oh, this is just heresy prompted by deep pocket supplement companies."

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
But, who doesn't?! :)
Nah brah, you have to use the ad-copy as your starting point, then try cross referencing the heck out of it and start doing the extreme coupon'er type thing where you start price matching different products and what not to figure out the best value/most effective/etc. Old school house wife style. I lovingly call it shopping the Asian style (I don't consider this being racist as I am Asian, so there :p Lulz).

fightnews

fightnews

Awards
  • Established
"The notion that carbohydrate supplements were useless and the various position statements of sporting bodies all over the world just a concession to the sponsoring money of the industry is thus unwarranted"

That's from the article.

So, IMO, if you wish to give it a try, go for it. If not, that's fine as well. It's just silly to lump intra carbs into the category of "Oh, this is just heresy prompted by deep pocket supplement companies."
well as you know i do plazma like yourself and love it sooooo. thanks 4 da cliffs