Polynomial's "let's get strong for fun and profit" log

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Interesting. JD said that he didn't think that they'd help much for raw squats with my stance, but recommended some Oly shoes for catching in those lifts.
They help me get a bit lower, while also providing a really steady surface. Since your squats are already deep, maybe they won't do as much.

But when I said "better angles" I meant mostly for the front squats/overhead squats, so yeah, it should help with catching the lifts.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday 2-20-08

Body weight: 196.0
Power cleans: (warm-up, 45x3 90x3 111x3) 155x3x5
Bench press: (45x5 135x5) 172.5x5x2 172.5x4
Overhead Squats: 75x5x2 85x5

Not bad. Starting with the power cleans felt much better, and my form has improved a lot.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Friday 2-22-08

Body weight: 199.0 :think:
Squat: (45x5x3 135x5 185x5 225x3) 255x5x3
Press: (45x5 95x5 115x3) 127.5x5x3
Chin-ups: {bw}x9 {bw}x6 {bw}x4

Great workout.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Nice work. Your numbers are starting to go up....fatty. ;)

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Monday 2-25-08

Body Weight: 201.6 (jas is so right :burger:)
Squat: (45x5x3 135x5 185x5 225x3) 260x5x3
Bench: (55x5 135x5) 175x5 175x4 175x2
Pull-ups: {bw}x5 {bw}x4

Everything felt stiff, almost like I needed some WD-40 in my joints. I still managed to squat heavy, but my bench strength sort of gave out. It's alright, since I'm starting to get my diet under control, so hopefully that will help. I'm still piling on more plates on the bar, so it's all good.

I remember stretching on the off days once or twice, and that helped a lot with the stiffness. Maybe I'll make that into a daily evening ritual.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Monday 2-25-08

Body Weight: 201.6 (jas is so right :burger:)
Squat: (45x5x3 135x5 185x5 225x3) 260x5x3
Bench: (55x5 135x5) 175x5 175x4 175x2
Pull-ups: {bw}x5 {bw}x4

Everything felt stiff, almost like I needed some WD-40 in my joints. I still managed to squat heavy, but my bench strength sort of gave out. It's alright, since I'm starting to get my diet under control, so hopefully that will help. I'm still piling on more plates on the bar, so it's all good.

I remember stretching on the off days once or twice, and that helped a lot with the stiffness. Maybe I'll make that into a daily evening ritual.
Welcome to the 200s. Your squat numbers have been improving steadily. I'm sure you're good for 315 at least for a 1 RM. That's impressive with your build, ie long legs. Try pulling barefoot some time. Kabuki will kill you if he finds out you've DLed in squat shoes. :lol:

If you feel like your workouts are getting stale maybe try some clean n jerks instead of just power cleans. Push jerking/pressing takes a little getting used to (I'm sure split jerking takes a lot but I can't clean enough to need it), but it's pretty fun IMO.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Jesus, that's a lot of weight gain. I guess you can get rid of the training bra, you'll probably fit into a 38B nicely.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
You talking about that guy in your avatar? :twisted:
No, I'm talking about your friend that I wouldn't mind titty-fvcking. Fedya isn't into studio lifting like you and your posse. Finally got to use my own joke:thumbsup: Just kidding about the cans, Poly.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Is the avatar a joke? If not, what the hell are you doing with a chick (although she does have a disinterested look on her face)? :lol: That and you're tiny and not nearly pale enough to be Irish. :lol:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Is the avatar a joke? If not, what the hell are you doing with a chick (although she does have a disinterested look on her face)? :lol: That and you're tiny and not nearly pale enough to be Irish. :lol:
Damn, you must've caught that for the 10 seconds it was on there. No, that is a friend of mines little brother and some chick that we refer to as "bitter beer face." If that was me I would've offed myself a long time ago. I'm not 5 ft 6, bald, and the devil.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Damn, you must've caught that for the 10 seconds it was on there. No, that is a friend of mines little brother and some chick that we refer to as "bitter beer face." If that was me I would've offed myself a long time ago. I'm not 5 ft 6, bald, and the devil.
Awesome. We used to nickname our chicks as well. My favorite was the "Furry Temptress", she needed some grooming down yonder, but would wait until you were super wasted and take advantage. I nearly caved once. :lol: There was also "manhands" and a few other good ones that I can't remember now.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Awesome. We used to nickname our chicks as well. My favorite was the "Furry Temptress", she needed some grooming down yonder, but would wait until you were super wasted and take advantage. I nearly caved once. :lol: There was also "manhands" and a few other good ones that I can't remember now.
Nice work on not caving. We had a similar chick, we called her "sproingers." Why on earth she would show up at a pool with her lack of grooming is beyond me. She would keep coming to the pool even after we called her "sproingers" to her face. Guess she didn't get it, she might post here.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Sproingers! :afro: :icon_lol:

Yeah, the nicknamed chicks usually got passed around. I only caved on few and most of them I was first in line.

The best was when we had a stripper "Anastasia" come and dance for a bachelor party. Someone video recorded her dancing and the video got passed around amongst dudes for their viewing pleasure. A few months later, my best friend brings her over and is dating her. :wtf: He was talking sh!t to someone once when she was around, and the dude says, "Fvck you we've all seen you're gf naked and jacked off to her video". :lol: Hilarious.

Later "Anastasia" set up another of my friends with her stripper friend. He goes home with her of course and comes back the next day. He says he didn't bang because she was on her period. We look down at his hands and see dried blood encrusted all over his fingers. Anastasia then calls up her boyfriend (my friend) and reveals that her stripper friend has herpes. :head: I swear we're not all white trash. :lol:

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday 2-27-08

Body weight: 202.4 (this is getting a bit out of hand/handles if you know what I mean)
Deadlift: (135x5 225x5 315x2) 355x5
Press: (45x5 95x5 115x5) 130x5x2 130x3
Little bit of front squats.

Finally the crazy part of my week is over. I had to go to the big gym at night today and apparently they just painted so the whole place smelled like paint.

The bodyweight is getting a bit out of hand, even though I've cut down on how much I've eaten recently. Hmm, we'll see how it goes, but I might go and do some crossfit-type workout to get down to a more reasonable size without the moobs 'n stuff (Aleks ;)).

The press and the bench have been going up, so that's nice.

jas, I'm probably take you up on doing full cleans and jerks. Maybe it'll help my press.

Oh yeah, somebody remind me to keep my damn chest up on the DL so that I don't curve my upper body. Also, I think that the squat shoes are messing up the lift a bit, so I'll switch to my other flat-soled shoes.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Excellent! 355-5 is that a PR? Sounds like you should be pulling 405-425 max-wise.

Sorry to take your thread so OT. Alex and I are notorious OTers.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Excellent! 355-5 is that a PR? Sounds like you should be pulling 405-425 max-wise.

Sorry to take your thread so OT. Alex and I are notorious OTers.
It's all good. Hilarious stuff - especially herpes hands boy.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Sproingers! :afro: :icon_lol:

Yeah, the nicknamed chicks usually got passed around. I only caved on few and most of them I was first in line.

The best was when we had a stripper "Anastasia" come and dance for a bachelor party. Someone video recorded her dancing and the video got passed around amongst dudes for their viewing pleasure. A few months later, my best friend brings her over and is dating her. :wtf: He was talking sh!t to someone once when she was around, and the dude says, "Fvck you we've all seen you're gf naked and jacked off to her video". :lol: Hilarious.

Later "Anastasia" set up another of my friends with her stripper friend. He goes home with her of course and comes back the next day. He says he didn't bang because she was on her period. We look down at his hands and see dried blood encrusted all over his fingers. Anastasia then calls up her boyfriend (my friend) and reveals that her stripper friend has herpes. :head: I swear we're not all white trash. :lol:
That's hilarious. It's amazing that your/my friends can do that type of sh*t and expect you to look at them normally. One of my old friends used to actually go pick up prostitutes, he was a wigger and hated black people??? Then he acts surprised when I carry the sh*t out of him. Everybody has fvcked up friends, they're entertaining.

Sorry about the hijack Poly. That's some quick weight gain, but that's not a bad way of doing it IMO. Gain weight at all costs, even if it's a little sloppy, and then take a few months to slowly make those gains more quality before going on a gainer again? Kind of how I did it. I currently weigh 207 and am about to off myself. Watching 25 pounds fly off that fast is depressing.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
One of my old friends used to actually go pick up prostitutes, he was a wigger and hated black people???
Haven't heard the word "wigger" since 1994. That's pretty funny. It reminds of that Chapelle where Chapelle is blind and in the kkk.

Who actually picks up prostitutes? Damn. That's low.

If you don't actually post vids when you get back up to speed, I'm going to assume that old avatar was actually you and you got embarrassed and took it down. :lol:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Haven't heard the word "wigger" since 1994. That's pretty funny. It reminds of that Chapelle where Chapelle is blind and in the kkk.

Who actually picks up prostitutes? Damn. That's low.

If you don't actually post vids when you get back up to speed, I'm going to assume that old avatar was actually you and you got embarrassed and took it down. :lol:
Wigger? I see them all the time. What do you call them? I love those guys. That episode of Chappelle was amazing. That's awesome that you saw those people and probably thought that was me and my disgusting girlfriend:lol: If that was me, I would definitely find a normal looking friend and post him as me, sorry but it's the truth.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Wigger? I see them all the time. What do you call them? I love those guys. That episode of Chappelle was amazing. That's awesome that you saw those people and probably thought that was me and my disgusting girlfriend:lol: If that was me, I would definitely find a normal looking friend and post him as me, sorry but it's the truth.
I figure you'll steel some FOG pictures. :lol:

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Friday 2-29-08

Body weight: 202.6
Squat: (45x5x3 95x5 135x5 185x5 235x3) 265x5x2
Bench: (45x5 135x5) 175x3x2 175x4
Chin-ups: {bw}x9 {bw}x7 {bw}x4

Today was one of those 'all over the body' aches. I popped some ibuprofen beforehand and tried to make the best of it. I'm pretty happy with how everything turned out.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Saturday 3-1-08

Crossfit workout Angie:
100 jumping pull-ups/chin-ups
100 push-ups
100 sit-ups
100 bodyweight squats

We broke all down into sets of 10 or 5.
Took less than an hour.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Sunday 3-2-08

Rest day.
Total calories: 2686
Protein: 230 grams (35%)
Fat: 98 grams (32%)
Carbs: 240 grams (33%)
Fiber: 39 grams

I'm starting to try and keep track of everything I eat.
Today's ingredients include: whole milk, lunch meat: chicken breast rotisserie style, salmon fillet, spinach, carrots, tuna (from a can), vegi soup (from a can), banana, wheat bran, oatmeal, flax seeds, protein shakes, pears, almonds, long grain brown rice. I think that's mostly it.

I also took 2 capsules of fish oil, creatine, and some Greens 3000, and two one-a-day multivitamins.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
That's looks pretty solid. Keep up the good eating and don't go crazy with the whole milk. :nono:

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Monday 3-3-08

Body weight: 202.0
Squat: (45x5x3 135x5 185x5 225x3) 270x4 270x3
Press: (45x5 95x5 115x3) 132.5x4 132.5x4 132.5x2
Pull-ups: {bw}x6

The gloves didn't help much with the torn callouses on the pull-ups, and I was still fatigued from the Saturday workout causing me to do less reps/sets. Still, not a bad workout.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Nice linear progress on squats. For a little while I thought that line was horizontal, but now it's looking good. Don't watch my videos either as it will hurt your squats.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Keep it movin, doing good, consistent.
Thanks Alex. I'm gonna have to see how this new diet (or rather, keeping track of what I eat) affects my performance.

Diet:

Monday 3-3-08

Total calories: 2763
Protein: 192 grams (28%)
Fat: 114 grams (37%) !!!
Carbs: 241 grams (32%)
Fiber: 28 grams

The peanut butter completely ****ed me over on the fat content. Damn PB sandwich for a snack...grr.

So far today's ingredients included lunch meat: chicken breast rotisserie style, carrots, honey wheat bread, almonds, whole milk, protein shakes, flax seed, steel cut oats, pear, banana, peanut butter, turkey sausage, brown rice, ground beef, four omega 3 capsules, 2 Greens 3000, and 2 one-a-day multivitamins.

I still have some time left before bed and I might drink a protein shake with water or something, but probably not.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Nice linear progress on squats. For a little while I thought that line was horizontal, but now it's looking good. Don't watch my videos either as it will hurt your squats.
I'm gonna have to record myself again to make sure that my depth is OK, but they're feeling alright.

I like your squat video for the hardcore dump on the 510 attempt.
How tight were your knee wraps, by the way? I remember you asked Kabuki for some recommendations.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
They were super tight. It really had nothing to do with strength, I just leaned forward way too far. I can see exactly where it went wrong. I think I'll slow down my descent because going fast can't help when trying to stay in the groove.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
They were super tight. It really had nothing to do with strength, I just leaned forward way too far. I can see exactly where it went wrong. I think I'll slow down my descent because going fast can't help when trying to stay in the groove.
You should wear some Baroni shorts:rofl:, they'll act like squat briefs.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Seriously though, and disgustingly, I'm known to wear some short shorts, which are referred to as Stockton's by my friends. One day I was wearing an old pair of Carhartt jean shorts that were tight. I started squatting with them on and I swear they made it 50 pounds lighter in the bottom and helped me to get my arse back.

edit: don't get the wrong idea, they come down 3 inches above my knee, but they were tight in the arse, jesus this is getting worse, peace.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Seriously though, and disgustingly, I'm known to wear some short shorts, which are referred to as Stockton's by my friends. One day I was wearing an old pair of Carhartt jean shorts that were tight. I started squatting with them on and I swear they made it 50 pounds lighter in the bottom and helped me to get my arse back.

edit: don't get the wrong idea, they come down 3 inches above my knee, but they were tight in the arse, jesus this is getting worse, peace.
Jeans are supposed to add 30+ pounds according the legendary JD. You wear jean shorts :lol:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Jeans are supposed to add 30+ pounds according the legendary JD. You wear jean shorts :lol:
That old fvck knows his sh*t. Of course I do, with one pant leg rolled up.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
He's actually only 40, but most think he's older.

Do you rock the Fubu gear or does Affliction make jean shorts?

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday 3-5-08

Body weight: 200.6

I started with power cleans but somehow managed to hurt my shoulders a bit. That and my back felt insanely fatigued. I did some light oly stuff, but that's about it.

I got to see jas bust up his knee about 10000 times, though.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Friday 3-7-08

Body weight: 199.0
Squat: (45x5x3 135x5 185x5 225x2 250x1) 275x5 275x2
Press: (45x5 95x5 115x3) 135x2 130x3
Chin-ups: {bw}x9 {bw}x6 {bw}x4

My shoulders hurt pretty badly during the press (I seem to have hurt them a bit on Wednesday doing power cleans without properly warming up). Otherwise, not bad. I still got the 1 plate up for 2 reps. Woohoo!

Although I'm not sure how much longer these numbers will keep up with my eating slightly less than 3,000 calories a day. Hmm, I'll play around with the diet more.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday 3-12-08

Body weight: 200.0
Squat: (45x5x3 135x5 185x5 225x3 255x1) 275x5 275x3
Press: (45x5 95x5 115x3) 135x3 135x1
Deadlift: (135x5 225x5) 315x4

I've been feeling somewhat sick lately (there's something going around). I'm also getting a bit tired of the starting strength program, so I'm going to switch to CrossFit for a while and see how that goes.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Nice numbers today! Glad to see you hitting plates for 3 on press.

I would think that would get boring after a while. If you get a chance post up your new WO.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Nice numbers today! Glad to see you hitting plates for 3 on press.

I would think that would get boring after a while. If you get a chance post up your new WO.
Well, they post it daily on the CrossFit website.

For example, today's workout was (which I didn't do)

For time:
115 pound Thruster, 21 reps
15 ft Rope Climb, 12 ascents
115 pound Thruster, 15 reps
15 ft Rope Climb, 9 ascents
115 pound Thruster, 9 reps
15 ft Rope Climb, 6 ascents

A thruster is a front squat with a push press. Obviously I'd have to sub something different for the rope climbs, like pull-ups maybe.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Friday 3-14-08 (Pi day!)

Body weight: 200.6

CrossFit had a rest day, so I picked and modified one of their workouts (Elizabeth). I was supposed to be using 135 for the power cleans the whole time, but at some point I switched to 115lbs.

Power cleans: 135x21
Dips: {bw}x21
Power cleans: 135x9 115x6 (15 total)
Dips: {bw}x15
Power cleans: 115x9
Dips: {bw}x9
Total time: 29 minutes

Of course I broke everything into smaller sets, but damn was this exhausting.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
With all those cleans, that would be brutal. I thought you were trying to say you did 21 reps at 135 on PCs and I was like :wtf:

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
With all those cleans, that would be brutal. I thought you were trying to say you did 21 reps at 135 on PCs and I was like :wtf:
Yeah, the first set of 21 (at 135) looked like 7 reps, rest, 6 reps, rest then I forget but it didn't get below 3 reps. The 15 reps I split into 3x3 with 135, and when I switched to 115 for the final 6 reps I did 4 then 2. 115 felt so incredibly lighter than 135 that if I had started with that weight, my time would probably be half of what it was.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Monday 3-17-08

Body weight: 200.4
Squat: (45x5x3 135x5 185x3 225x2) 265x4 275x3
Press: (45x5 95x5 115x3) 135x3
Push-press: 155x3
Pull-ups: {bw}x6 {bw}x5

I'm staring what will hopefully be 2 weeks of a rapid fat loss diet to kick start a more moderate caloric deficit. So I'm cutting down on the volume and keeping the intensity up to prevent LBM loss.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Please watch this video repeatedly.

If you look carefully, there's a bar with weights on it in this video :twisted:

She's wearing far too much clothing for me to really see what's going on.