Polynomial's "let's get strong for fun and profit" log

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Actually now it's getting pricey. 2000 calories a day is nothing, most chicks eat more than that. His statement makes more sense then. Make sure you're getting more than 3000, maybe even more than 3500. I eat 3600-4000 on workout days and 3200-3600 on non-WO days. The addy might hurt your appetite too, but I'm not too familiar with it.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Actually now it's getting pricey. 2000 calories a day is nothing, most chicks eat more than that. His statement makes more sense then. Make sure you're getting more than 3000, maybe even more than 3500. I eat 3600-4000 on workout days and 3200-3600 on non-WO days. The addy might hurt your appetite too, but I'm not too familiar with it.
So what you're saying is that if I eat like a girl, I grow like a girl. :)

A gallon of skim milk is 1440 calories, 144 grams of protein, and a bit over 200 grams of carbs, so that will definitely help with getting to the 3000 mark and above.

It'll be really easy to see if I'm an intermediate or a novice, since if on this diet I'm not improving at every workout, I'm an intermediate. So it'll take no more than a week or two to find out.

I really do hope that I end up in the novice category since it means that my lifts will shoot way the hell up. Rippetoe was saying something about squats in the upper 300's by the time I get done, and I'm pretty sure he meant 3 sets of 5, not a 1 rep max.

As far as the appetite suppressant effects of addy, I'm way past that. They disappeared after about 6 months, but I lost a few pounds when I first started.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
So I drank 1/2 gallon of milk yesterday on top of eating pretty well, and for the first time in a long time I woke up without a sore back.
I feel like a fatso but that's beside the point.

Milk - placebo or the real deal? Film at 11

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Sunday 12-23-07

Body weight: 186.8
Warm-up: Bike 4 minutes, some light ab work
Squats: (45x5x2 135x5x2 185x5 205x2) 225x5x2 220x5
Press: (45x5 95x5) 120x5x3
Power Cleans: 45x5 135x2
Deadlifts: 225x3 315x1 335x3

I'm switching to a slightly different workout, but more on that later.
Since the gym is closed tomorrow and I'll be away until late Wednesday, I decided to squeeze in a workout today. Everything went well except that I really hate doing power cleans in the power cage at the crappy gym, so I stopped at a set of 135's and did some deadlifts instead, even though those suck there too.

My new routine looks like this ({reps}x{sets}):
Workout A
Squat 5x3
Press 5x3
Alternate deadlift/power clean
5x1 on the dead, 5x3 on the power clean

Workout B
Squat 5x3
Bench Press 8x3 (apparently dumbbell bench responds better to higher reps)
Back extensions
Chin ups failure x 3

I will alternate ABABABAB... so one week I'll press twice, and another week I'll bench twice. We'll see how long this will last.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday 12-26-07

Body weight: No idea
Squats: (45x5x2 135x5 135x4 185x5 205x3) 225x5x2 215x5
Dumbbell Bench: (45x5 55x5) 75x0 70x0 ??? ... ?????
Back extensions: {bw}x10x3
Chin-ups: {bw}x8 {bw}x6

I got back from visiting my girlfriend and her family at 7pm (I took the train) and I headed straight for the gym. I think that my diet and sleep schedule over the past two days accounts for today's workout... Oh well, it was definitely worth it.

Does anyone have tips for getting better with the low bar position? I started using it recently and at the heavier weights it feels like the damn thing might roll off my back.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Ouch man. Sounds like a rough workout. You were probably just rushed and hungry though.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
damn...2000 calories! i take in around 5000.

if your going to go the milk route i would suggest switching to whole milk. Diary causes an insulin response in part due to the sugars. If your drinking it along with a fat source your fine but if not you'll want the fats in the milk to counterbalance the sugars and the related impact on insulin response.

As for the bar placement. it will just take some getting used to. i struggled with it for a long time. chalk up your back. gym bars only have small knurling in the center so a real squat bar with a long center knurl section and large diameter make a huge difference as well.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
damn...2000 calories! i take in around 5000.

if your going to go the milk route i would suggest switching to whole milk. Diary causes an insulin response in part due to the sugars. If your drinking it along with a fat source your fine but if not you'll want the fats in the milk to counterbalance the sugars and the related impact on insulin response.

As for the bar placement. it will just take some getting used to. i struggled with it for a long time. chalk up your back. gym bars only have small knurling in the center so a real squat bar with a long center knurl section and large diameter make a huge difference as well.
kabuki: thanks for the tips. Can you elaborate more about how fats help with keeping the insulin response under control?

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
fats slow the digestion of the sugars. anytime you have protein and carbs you want to have fats... otherwise that combo causes a huge insulin spike moresoe than just carbs alone. However that is why in postworkout nutrition people don't have fats as that is when you want an insuline spike (at least atheletes...many BB's dont at anytime)

here is some really good reading.
http://www.bodyactive-online.co.uk/nutrition/hormones/insulin/InsulinIndex/IIDifference.asp

more
I ran across the main page for the first post I made. Yeah, this information is good.

Hormones - Insulin - Insulin Index :: Nutrition :: Basic

Introduction to the Insulin Index
The Insulin Index is not entirely new to the world, yet it does apparently only seem to be gaining respect and attention in recent times due to great leaps and bounds made in the field of human nutrition of late. This information may just be the most groundbreaking you will read about in a long time in terms of seeing dramatic changes and improvements to your physique.

What is the difference then between the insulin index and the glycaemic index?
You have most likely heard of the glycaemic index, and now you have the insulin index, and the two tie in very nicely together indeed for you to make informed choices about the foods you eat, but they are entirely different - find out how.

Insulin Sensitivity and Insulin Resistance
Insulin sensitivity and resistance are two of the most important factors for you to grasp when learning about your highly anabolic storage hormone insulin. This information could change your physique and your life span more than you ever dreamed possible if you understand and apply the information.

Three Important Factors Of Insulin and Your Physique
Insulin being a primary anabolic and storage hormone on your body - its affects can be dramatic and profound.

Techniques To Control Your Anabolic Hormone - Insulin
How do you take control of this positively impacting hormone correctly with your diet.

Individual Differences - Are You Sensitive?
As you know, we are all different, and here you can learn the methods and procedures to test yourself to see just how sensitive you may be to the effects of the hormone insulin, in response to the foods that you are regularly eating.

The Other Factors Involved in Progress
There are numerous factors involved in the process of putting together a sound nutritional strategy. One of those is the II, and the foods you eat, their quantities, combinations and timings. These are not the only factors. Discover more here.

A Carbohydrate Is Not Just A Carbohydrate
As you should know by now, a carbohydrate is not just a carbohydrate - there are many, many forms. And likewise a fat is not just a fat. You can learn here how to eat correctly of the major food groups to manage and control your insulin.

Test Driving The Insulin Index Theory by John M Beradi
It is thanks to the works and writings of John Beradi that the Insulin Index is finally getting its due attention and exposure in the world of athletic nutrition and so you can read here some of his major work and studies.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
something i do if i'm having something like that is i have a variety of nuts at home and at my desk. EXVOO works great as well. my wife always forgets and gets me lowfat or nonfat cottage cheese. I'll eat a handfull of nuts along with it.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
something i do if i'm having something like that is i have a variety of nuts at home and at my desk. EXVOO works great as well. my wife always forgets and gets me lowfat or nonfat cottage cheese. I'll eat a handfull of nuts along with it.
Sweet, thanks for the links! Fortunately I'm going a gallon at a time, so once this skim is finished I'll get the whole milk. Maybe that way I can cut down my consumption to 3/4 of a gallon or something. I weighed in at 192.0 today, and I don't think that I've put on too much fat, but then again, that's hard to tell.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Friday 12-28-07

Body weight: 191.4
Squats: (45x5 135x5x2 185x5 205x3) 225x5x3 (PR)
Press: (45x5 95x5 115x2) 125x5x2 (PR)
Power Cleans: (45x4) 135x3x3
Plus some ab work.

Gotta go to the crappy gym (CRCE) until January 2nd.

I decided to use a belt on the heavy squats and it made a world of difference. My low bar position has also greatly improved since last time. I'd say that I'm 80% there with finding that sweet spot on my back. If I can get my grip just a little bit narrower (flexibility issue) then I'll be set.

My left shoulder was acting up a bit on the press so I only did two sets.

As far as power cleans, I severely underestimated how nice it is to be able to drop the bar on the floor. Since I didn't want to kill my wrists, I used a lighter weight and less sets.

Overall, not a bad workout. I can't wait to crack open that gallon of whole milk that I just bought. :woohoo:

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
I'm hoping for some recommendations on the following daily diet:

3/4 Gallon of whole milk
100 grams of whey protein
1 cup of raw oats
4 oz of salmon/other meat
1/2 cup of "smart eggs"
53 grams of Kashi Crunch cereal
+ Veggies and fruits thrown in
+ one meal out like subway, or the equivalent prepared at home

Without the veggies and the extra meal this is 2980 calories,
with 120g fat, 237 g carbs, and 243 grams of protein. The split is 35% fat, 31% carbs, and 34% protein.

I'm guessing that with the extra meal it might be close to 3600 with a similar macronutrient spread.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Monday 12-31-07

Body weight: 191.6
Squats: (45x5x3 135x5x2 185x3 205x2) 230x5x3 (PR)
Dumbbell Bench: (40x5 55x3 65x2) 70x8 70x5 70x4
Back Extensions: {bw}x10x3
Chin-ups: {bw}x8 {bw}x5 {bw}x3

Not bad. I went up 5 lbs on the squats, and I feel that I might have been able to push more. I can't wait until Wednesday when I can finally go to the good gym, use normal-sized dumbbells, a proper bar for chin-ups, and do some round-plate deadlifts. Hooray! And to all a happy New Year :drunk:

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday 1-2-08

Body weight: 190.4
Squats: (45x5x2 135x5x2 205x2) 225x5
Press: (45x5 95x5 115x2) 125x5x3 (PR)
Deadlift: (135x5 225x3 315x1) 355x5 (PR)

I took it easy on the squats since I woke up at 10:37 and was in the gym at 11:30. jas123 mentioned that I hold my bar a bit too far from my face on the press, and that my upper back is a bit arched on my deads. I'll try to fix both, but I'm especially worried about deadlifts. I'll bring a camera and take some squat videos on Friday, and also some deadlift videos next time I deadlift.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Excellent work today. I love the K gym environment. There's a good crew there.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Excellent work today. I love the K gym environment. There's a good crew there.
Definitely. Good job on the PR's.
Are you going to be in Altgeld today? I'll burn you a CD with some CrossFit videos that you should check out.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I will in the evening for sure, maybe around 7 or 8.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Scratch that Poly, I won't be around. Forgot about the WVU - OU game.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Friday 1-4-08

Body weight: 191.2
Squats: (45x5x3 135x5 185x5 205x3) 235x5 235x3
Dumbbell Bench: (45x5 55x4) 75x8 75x6 70x4
Back Extensions: {bw}x10
Chin-ups: {bw}x8 {bw}x7 {bw}x4
plus some power clean work.

I was sick today so I'm pretty happy with these numbers. I hope that I get over this cold/flu pretty fast.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Your power cleans were looking really good (of course I don't know my form). Thanks for the vid clips from Cross Fit. BTW, chicks in spandex shorts doing Oly lifts might be the hottest thing to me. Does that make me weird?

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
This chick could easily choke your penis out cold with her glutes. Not the best vid to show her ridiculous glute development, but you can kind of tell.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Your power cleans were looking really good (of course I don't know my form). Thanks for the vid clips from Cross Fit. BTW, chicks in spandex shorts doing Oly lifts might be the hottest thing to me. Does that make me weird?
Naw man. I take a similar view on the matters :D

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Her face ain't great, but damn there's just something about the outfits and oly lifts. I'd like to see her snatch.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Google her if you haven't already. Her face isn't that bad, their are some shots somewhere of her in a speedsuit that are mind altering.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
I'd let her "clean and jerk" it. Please insert Wandy gif.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Monday 1-7-08

Body weight: 190.2
Squats: (45x5x3 135x5x2 185x5 205x2) 235x5x2
Press: (45x5 95x5 115x2) 127.5x5 127.5x4 127.5x3
Power cleans: (45x5 110x2) 155x3x3 155x2 155x3

Still recovering from the cold, but overall not bad.

kabuki

kabuki

Awards
  • Established
Her face ain't great, but damn there's just something about the outfits and oly lifts. I'd like to see her snatch.
certainly.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday 1-9-08

Body weight: 192.0
Squats: (45x5x3 145x5x2 185x5) 235x2
Dumbbell Bench: (45x5 55x5) 70x8 70x6 70x5
Back extensions: {bw}x10
Chin-ups: {bw}x9 {bw}x5
plus some power clean, snatch, and grip work.

The weights felt pretty heavy today, so I think that I should probably eat more and make Wednesday a front squat day. We'll see how that works.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Friday 1-11-08

Body weight: 192.8
Squats: (45x5x4 135x5x2 185x5 205x3) 235x5x2
Press: (45x5 95x5) 127.5x3 120x4
Deadlifts: (135x5 225x5) 315x5

I have not recovered from Wednesday. Not much at all. This probably has something to do with yesterday's schedule and not eating as much. I think that I'll take Monday easy to be sure that I recover for Wednesday.

Here are two deadlift videos from today. I'd appreciate any comments, especially since I'm worried about how my back is looking in these.

225x5:

315x5:

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Are you sure that you're 6'1"? You look really tall, seems like quite a journey from start to finish. Looks like you need to keep your ass down and your head up and have it be more of a fluid motion. It kinda seems like you're performing 2 lifts in 1.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
p.s. do you have the belt wrapped around your nipples? Looks like it's up pretty high.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Bump on Poly possibly actually being Shawn Bradley.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Poly's 6' 2'' max. He's just lanky.

It does look a little too mechanical to me as well, but I think it's your lowering. I do it more stiff legged so that you don't have to go around your knee. I know Rip recommends the lowering that way, though.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Poly, check out alexeev's 507 press again sometime. It's total BS as he bends his knees to drive it up.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Are you sure that you're 6'1"? You look really tall, seems like quite a journey from start to finish. Looks like you need to keep your ass down and your head up and have it be more of a fluid motion. It kinda seems like you're performing 2 lifts in 1.
Yeah, I agree about the ass down part and my head up. I don't have a very good idea about how low my ass is relative to be the rest of my body, I think. As far as height, I'm 6'1 but I might appear taller as the weightlifting shoes have a pretty thick heel, and the person taking the vid is my 5'0 girlfriend.

Poly, check out alexeev's 507 press again sometime. It's total BS as he bends his knees to drive it up.
Oh man, I paused it at the right moment and his knees are absolutely bent. Well, they didn't have instant playback then I guess.

Also, when/why the hell did you yack 8 times while walking.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I think I just ate too fast because I was in a hurry, but it was unusual for sure.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Johnson can be rough on the tummy...........squad up style humor~!

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Monday 1-14-08

Body weight: Forgot to weigh in
Front Squats: (45x5x3 95x5 135x3) 185x3 195x3 205x3
Dumbbell bench: (45x5 55x5) 70x8 70x7 70x6
Back extensions: {bw}x10
Chin-ups: {bw}x9
Pull-ups: {bw}x5
+ a bit of power cleans and overhead squat attempts.

I still feel weak/sick so I took it easy on the the squats and did front squats instead. I feel that I can probably get 225 on the front squats as 205 didn't feel very heavy, even in my current state. I hope to feel better by Wednesday.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
It seems like you've been sick a lot. Do you think that you're overtraining?

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
It seems like you've been sick a lot. Do you think that you're overtraining?
Good question. I think that I played around with the oly lifts too much a few times and didn't recover enough before the next squat session. I underestimate how much power cleans and snatches beat me up. I switched to front squats today to keep the intensity and volume lower, so hopefully I'll be better for Wednesday.

I also recently switched back to the generic version of addy (from a free trial of an extended release that I got) and training time falls right around when the dose starts to wear off. I found that it takes me about 3 or 4 days to adjust when I switch to a new medication.

As hard as it is on the ego, I'm gonna take it easy until I feel like I'm recovered.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday 1-16-08

Body weight: 194.4
Squats: (45x5x3 135x5x2 185x5 205x4) 225x5x3
Press: (45x5 95x5 115x3) 125x3 115x5
Power cleans: (45x5 90x3) 155x3 140x3x4
Snatch: 90x3

Wow, I think that this might be a combination of overtraining and being sick. That and since the semester started on Monday I haven't been getting nearly as much sleep. Oh well, I guess that I should take it easy on Friday and really hope to recover by Monday. I actually felt fatigued before I walked into the gym today.

Alexander

Alexander

Awards
  • Established
Wednesday 1-16-08

Body weight: 194.4
Squats: (45x5x3 135x5x2 185x5 205x4) 225x5x3
Press: (45x5 95x5 115x3) 125x3 115x5
Power cleans: (45x5 90x3) 155x3 140x3x4
Snatch: 90x3

Wow, I think that this might be a combination of overtraining and being sick. That and since the semester started on Monday I haven't been getting nearly as much sleep. Oh well, I guess that I should take it easy on Friday and really hope to recover by Monday. I actually felt fatigued before I walked into the gym today.
Being sick sucks so bad. Sounds like you need to just rest and maybe do some super easy workouts until you feel rejuvenated. I am always fatigued, but probably not the same level you're speaking of. I'm often mistaken for Stephen Wright.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
I'm always fatigued too. I pretty much sleep until my set and then nap in between. :yawn: Poly, no fast-twitch Fridays for you this week, but it looks like it might be a party in Kenney with Nick and Eric coming too. If you are around have the camera available there may be crashes. :head:

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Friday 1-18-08

Body weight: 194.2
Squats: (45x5x3 135x5x2 185x5 205x4) 225x5 225x4
Bench: (45x5 95x5 135x5) 175x3 165x5 165x4
Chin-ups: {bw}x9 {bw}x5
Pull-ups: {bw}x5
plus some overhead squat work.

Not bad. I tried bench for the first time in a long time, and I think that if I got used to it I could make some progress. The deloading is going well so far.

Polynomial

Polynomial

Awards
  • Established
Monday 1-21-08

Body weight: 195.2
Squat: (45x5x3 95x5 135x5x2 185x5 205x3) 230x5x2
Press: (45x5 95x5 115x2) 120x5x2
Deadlift: (135x5 225x5 315x1) 335x4

I'm starting to feel much better, but I still took some weight down and cut off one set from the squats and the press, and 1 rep from the deadlift. Hopefully setting back will allow me to start back up in a nice linear progression on Friday.

jas123

jas123

Awards
  • Established
Excellent. Time to get back in the groove. A guy that's competed in Oly lifting should be joining us for fast-twitch Fridays this week. It should be a good learning experience.