not enough cals

drummaboyzl

drummaboyzl

Awards
  • Established
ok so for 2 months i ate very sparsely and lost 15 lbs. now that im trying to bulk up i need to be consuming about 2800-3000 cals. i feel like all i do is eat non stop im going to the kitchen to grab something to eat (every 30-45 minutes) to try and get my cals up, but i just cant. if you look at my diet tracker im always right at 2200 at the end of the day. now when i start taking protein powder it should add about another 300 cals a day for me but that still isnt enough.

im asking for help on what i can eat that will be low in fat and high in cals. carbs are ok because my metabolism is moving at a decent pace, if it has protein....bonus. (i dont like PB that much).

any info would help

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Don't be afraid of fat. Make shakes/gainers out of whey, cottage cheese, milk, olive oil, fruit, or anything you find you would like.

3000 calories isn't to difficult to hit as long as you put a little effort into making some meals for the week or in the morning.

Make extra turkey and tuna sandwiches.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Forget where I saw this but heres a basic list of food to throw into your daily meals. NOW EAT, and then EAT SOME DAMN MORE!!!!!

PROTEINS

Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
Tuna (water packed)
Fish (salmon, seabass, halibut)
Shrimp
Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%)
Venison
Buffalo
Ostrich
Protein Powder
Egg Whites or Eggs
Ribeye Steaks or Roast
Top Round Steaks or Roast (aka Stew Meat, London Broil, Stir Fry)
Top Sirloin (aka Sirloin Top Butt)
Beef Tenderloin (aka Filet, Filet Mignon)
Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)
Flank Steak (Sir Fry, Fajita)
Eye of Round (Cube Meat, Stew Meat, Bottom Round , 96% LeandGround Round)
Ground turkey, Turkey Breast Slices or cutlets (fresh meat, not deli cuts), ground chicken

COMPLEX CARBS

Oatmeal (Old Fashioned or Quick Oats)
Sweet Potatoes
Yams
Beans (pinto, black, kidney)
Oat Bran Cereal
Rye Cereal
Brown Rice
Farina (Cream of Wheat)
Multigrain Hot Cereal
Whole wheat or Spinach Pasta
Rice (white, jasmine, basmati, Arborio, wild)
Potatoes (red, baking, new)

FIBROUS CARBS

Green Leafy Lettuce (Green Leaf, Red, Leaf, Romaine)
Broccoli
Asparagus
String Beans
Spinach
Bell Peppers
Brussels Sprouts
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Celery
Cucumber
Eggplant
Green or Red Pepper
Onions
Pumpkin
Garlic
Tomatoes
Zucchini

FRUIT

(if acceptable on diet): bananas, apples, grapefruit, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, lemons or limes

HEALTHY FATS

Natural Style Peanut Butter
Olive Oil or Safflower Oil
Nuts (peanuts, almonds
Flaxseed Oil

DAIRY AND EGGS

Low-fat cottage cheese
Eggs
Low or Non-Fat Milk
Bottled Water

CONDIMENTS & SPICES

Diet Soda
Crystal Light
Fat Free Mayonnaise
Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
Reduced Sodium Teriyaki Sauce
Balsamic Vinegar
Salsa
Hot Peppers and Hot Sauce
Chili powder
Mrs. Dash
Steak Sauce
Sugar Free Maple Syrup
Chili Paste
Mustard
Extracts (vanilla, almond, etc )
Low Sodium beef or chicken broth
Plain or reduced sodium tomatoes sauce, puree, paste)

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
very comprehensive list up there with lots of choices for you man. I will second the notion of not being afraid of fats as they are very beneficial to your diet and are calorie dense. To add more calories to meals drink milk with your meals, eat lots of oats(calorie dense), add pb to certain meals, eat some fattier(while still healthy) meat sources, etc. You can do it and you will get more used to it as you go along. I am taking in nearly 3700 a day at the moment.

drummaboyzl

drummaboyzl

Awards
  • Established
thanks for your help guys. guess ill stop getting the trimmed to 0" fat steaks and what not.

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established
Eat more....stretch your stomach. Whenever I come off dieting I can't eat a lot, but I stretch my stomach back out and then I can eat anything.

krazy

Awards
Choose Two:
Low-Fat
High Daily Caloric Intake
Little Time Investment

...is that really how it has to be, I guess?

Id love to bulk but I dont like consuming alot of fat. Just bad mojo for the body. I take flax and fish oils and eat good amounts of mono/polyunsaturated fats but still it is hard as balls to make 3000cal/day (esp with a 45/35/20 carbs/protein/fat ratio) and consume mostly whole foods and not depend on shakes.

I feel ya OP.

Pimp C

Awards
Choose Two:
Low-Fat
High Daily Caloric Intake
Little Time Investment

...is that really how it has to be, I guess?

Id love to bulk but I dont like consuming alot of fat. Just bad mojo for the body. I take flax and fish oils and eat good amounts of mono/polyunsaturated fats but still it is hard as balls to make 3000cal/day (esp with a 45/35/20 carbs/protein/fat ratio) and consume mostly whole foods and not depend on shakes.

I feel ya OP.
bump your protein up to 50% of your calories.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Hard boiled egg's
Natures Perfect Food.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Brian5225

Brian5225

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, don't be afraid of fat. If you're trying to bulk, add fat, because remember, your body needs good fats to produce testosterone, and if you don't have enough testosterone, you're not buildin muscle dude, you're building fat. And if you think its hard to consume more than 2200, I consume between 3500-4000 per day when I'm bulking. What you have to do, is like the fella above me said, stretch your stomach. It's small right now from dieting, but stretch it out more, its elastic. Try to eat a moderate sized meal every 2-3 hours, and increase the meal size ever so slightly eveyr day till you're consuming as much as you need. This also helps because you don't have the immediate influx of calories that can add fat quickly, your body works itself up to the calorie level. And don't be afraid of fat, fat is your friend. It is absolutely required for testosterone production, healthy hair, nails and skin, better mood, yada yada yada, its good for you. Reasearch fish oils and natural testosterone production and whatnot and you'll realize pretty quick the importance. Also look into weight gainers. I personally like Up Your Mass by MHP (Although I hate most of their other products) because it has high protein, and the carbs they use are slow digesting to make sure you're not just packing on fat from the massive amount of carbs in a short period of time.

arizonanewbie

arizonanewbie

Awards
Did you ever see the Simpsons episode where Homer is trying to get so fat he can get workmans comp? Dr. Nick tells him "Instead of chewing gum, chew bacon. Instead of bread for your sandwiches, use poptarts."

But seriously, I discovered turkey bacon and I put it on everything now. Think about small ways like that you can add extra calories to a pre-existing meal.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Did you ever see the Simpsons episode where Homer is trying to get so fat he can get workmans comp? Dr. Nick tells him "Instead of chewing gum, chew bacon. Instead of bread for your sandwiches, use poptarts."

But seriously, I discovered turkey bacon and I put it on everything now. Think about small ways like that you can add extra calories to a pre-existing meal.

Lol the moo moo episode, one of my all time favorites.

http://www.lilith-ezine.com/articles/health/images/Fat-Homer-Simpson.gif

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established

Lol the moo moo episode, one of my all time favorites.

krazy

Awards
Yeah, don't be afraid of fat. If you're trying to bulk, add fat, because remember, your body needs good fats to produce testosterone, and if you don't have enough testosterone, you're not buildin muscle dude, you're building fat. And if you think its hard to consume more than 2200, I consume between 3500-4000 per day when I'm bulking. What you have to do, is like the fella above me said, stretch your stomach. It's small right now from dieting, but stretch it out more, its elastic. Try to eat a moderate sized meal every 2-3 hours, and increase the meal size ever so slightly eveyr day till you're consuming as much as you need. This also helps because you don't have the immediate influx of calories that can add fat quickly, your body works itself up to the calorie level. And don't be afraid of fat, fat is your friend. It is absolutely required for testosterone production, healthy hair, nails and skin, better mood, yada yada yada, its good for you. Reasearch fish oils and natural testosterone production and whatnot and you'll realize pretty quick the importance. Also look into weight gainers. I personally like Up Your Mass by MHP (Although I hate most of their other products) because it has high protein, and the carbs they use are slow digesting to make sure you're not just packing on fat from the massive amount of carbs in a short period of time.

Yeah yeah yeah, fats are good. Dont get us wrong.

But, if fats compose upwards of 40%-50% of your calories, thats just damn unhealthy dude.

Fats should be:
QUALITY fats
20%-ish of your diet.

Yes, theyre important for testosterone. But... In moderation dude. You can only generate but so much testosterone out of fat. Eating more means... you get fat.

As for the OP, I think a large part of his problem is the amount of time spent in the kitchen cooking and preparing food and, subsequently, eating those calories. Its alot of time. Thats what both the OP and I would like some good tips on :)

Neil5585

Neil5585

Awards
  • Established

But, if fats compose upwards of 40%-50% of your calories, thats just damn unhealthy dude.

Fats should be:
QUALITY fats
20%-ish of your diet.

Yes, theyre important for testosterone. But... In moderation dude. You can only generate but so much testosterone out of fat. Eating more means... you get fat.

Did you get personal diet lessons from Richard Simmons? This is such bullsh1t.

Brian5225

Brian5225

Awards
  • Established

Fats should be:
QUALITY fats
20%-ish of your diet.

As for the OP, I think a large part of his problem is the amount of time spent in the kitchen cooking and preparing food and, subsequently, eating those calories. Its alot of time. Thats what both the OP and I would like some good tips on :)
Yeah, notice though I wasn't saying half of everything he should be eating is fat. I also said to look into fish oils and good fats, and to not cut fat out. That was in response to him requestion foods low in fat. When I bulk I make sure I get enough fat, but the majority of my cals come from carbs and protein, I supplement with fish oil and don't cut out things like steak, and if theres extra fat on it I EAT IT. Hence, my last bulk I gained 25 pounds in three months (15 of it naturally) and only roughly a pound of that was fat. Measured by caliper.