Mattrag and whatever training

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
luckily i live on the first floor lol. I've looked under the mats... omfg... there are like 0.5 inch wooden planks randomly placed there... just 2 more months... Hopefully on the weekends I can hit that far expensive gym to pull heavy cleans... I don't think my floor can take cleans any higher than 185.... Well I won't be able to pull them w/o "jumping" so if I do that my floor is bound to go....

If the floor aint bendin, you just pretendin

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If the floor aint bendin, you just pretendin
LMAO, I was just thinking about doing ME cleans today... then remembered I might die if I do. Plus I tweaked my right mid back yesterday so I doubt I could pull that heavy.

BTW, in regards to Osta, 2 weeks you'll be in PCT? WTH are you on now!? lol.

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
LMAO, I was just thinking about doing ME cleans today... then remembered I might die if I do. Plus I tweaked my right mid back yesterday so I doubt I could pull that heavy.

I found wrapping my wrist before doing cleans offers a nice buffer to prevent and even allow continued healing of injuries to occur, plus it looks kind of bad ass :)

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I found wrapping my wrist before doing cleans offers a nice buffer to prevent and even allow continued healing of injuries to occur, plus it looks kind of bad ass :)
Do you "catch" your cleans? like this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF6SntdVvjw

with elbows parallel to the ground? This is the form I am working towards lol. I use the wraps on bench press. But recently I have had no joint pains. :D

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established

im on epi at 60 mg lol. epi >>>>>>hdrol I feel really good

getting a blood test next week lets see how suppressed I am lol

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
im on epi at 60 mg lol. epi >>>>>>hdrol I feel really good

getting a blood test next week lets see how suppressed I am lol
You like epi eh? Shiet.. I bought some Hdrol.. maybe I'll trade if for some epi later. I still haven't run it yet... hmm....

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
You like epi eh? Shiet.. I bought some Hdrol.. maybe I'll trade if for some epi later. I still haven't run it yet... hmm....
im on a lot of joint support though if you don't your joints will kill you.. hdrol just killed me with lethargy. My friends felt the same way on hdrol, but they also feel the same way about epi. But I feel good on epi, could be the stims Ive been using have been keeping the lethargy at bay also, hard to say. Either way, Im not complaining lol I'd go up to 80 mg but that's prob dumb at my size 60 is prob high as it is

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
im on a lot of joint support though if you don't your joints will kill you.. hdrol just killed me with lethargy. My friends felt the same way on hdrol, but they also feel the same way about epi. But I feel good on epi, could be the stims Ive been using have been keeping the lethargy at bay also, hard to say. Either way, Im not complaining lol I'd go up to 80 mg but that's prob dumb at my size 60 is prob high as it is
Yea, 80mgs... wowzers.

What brand you using?

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Yea, 80mgs... wowzers.

What brand you using?
I was using IBE for the first few weeks but they didn't have any more in stock :( so I had to switch to havoc for the last few weeks. Both seemed to work the same they are interchangeable. Id go with havoc next time just cause its cheaper.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I was using IBE for the first few weeks but they didn't have any more in stock :( so I had to switch to havoc for the last few weeks. Both seemed to work the same they are interchangeable. Id go with havoc next time just cause its cheaper.
Yea RPN's Havoc is quite nice on the wallet ;)

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Do you "catch" your cleans? like this guy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF6SntdVvjw

with elbows parallel to the ground? This is the form I am working towards lol. I use the wraps on bench press. But recently I have had no joint pains. :D
Not sure, never videoed it, but anyone I trust who has observed me said my form is tight. I know I sure as hell don't just throw **** down after a rep lol.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Not sure, never videoed it, but anyone I trust who has observed me said my form is tight. I know I sure as hell don't just throw **** down after a rep lol.
most oly lifters just drop the bar after lifting as they are only interested in the concentric portion of the lift. My elbow flexibility is too shot to keep that form with wrist warps... lol. I barely catch it correctly... I still can't front squat with that grip. My lowback/ ham strings are too tight. haha.

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Epi+ stims? When was the last time you had your BP checked? Taking any support sups to help keep it down ?

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Epi+ stims? When was the last time you had your BP checked? Taking any support sups to help keep it down ?
I've done Mdrol with stims my friend. My BP does very well on cycle. I rarely go above 130/70. ;)
Off cycle I am around 100/55.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
been doing it for 4 weeks my bp hasnt gone over 130/75. I'm a beast, what can I say.

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
Any clean pr I make I slam down afterwards lol

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
hhahah, good stuff eh? love the fact that i don't worry about BP on cycle

That's the best way my friend. If only my gym had bumper plates..
I got pretty lucky with my current gym. One of the only local gyms that have bumper plates and condone the Oly lifts. It's going out of business sometime soon, so I'm considering just shelling out the money and building my own in my garage.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I got pretty lucky with my current gym. One of the only local gyms that have bumper plates and condone the Oly lifts. It's going out of business sometime soon, so I'm considering just shelling out the money and building my own in my garage.
only the bb/cardio type gyms are making it now.... sad.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
only the bb/cardio type gyms are making it now.... sad.
my gym just made a bumper plate corner where we can do cleans and drop the weight. But the weights are larger than the standard weights we use on the barbells. is it normal for the bar to be higher off the ground when doing cleans?

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
my gym just made a bumper plate corner where we can do cleans and drop the weight. But the weights are larger than the standard weights we use on the barbells. is it normal for the bar to be higher off the ground when doing cleans?
It's even bigger than the 45? my 20kg plate here in japan is made about 2inches or so longer in diameter. But as far as the 10kgs, and 5kgs they should all be the diameter so that the distance you have to pull the bar off the ground is the same regardless of weight (Provided there is weight on the bar)

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
It's even bigger than the 45? my 20kg plate here in japan is made about 2inches or so longer in diameter. But as far as the 10kgs, and 5kgs they should all be the diameter so that the distance you have to pull the bar off the ground is the same regardless of weight (Provided there is weight on the bar)
Yeah the 5, 10, 25, 45 etc are all the same size when comparing the bumper plate weights to eachother. But when you compare them to a normal weight that you put on a barbell, for like squats, they are larger than the standard 45 lb weight. Not sure exactly how much bigger tho maybe an few inches in diameter

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
Yeah the 5, 10, 25, 45 etc are all the same size when comparing the bumper plate weights to eachother. But when you compare them to a normal weight that you put on a barbell, for like squats, they are larger than the standard 45 lb weight. Not sure exactly how much bigger tho maybe an few inches in diameter
Just looked it up, a standard 45lb weight has a 17 3/4-in diameter and a standard Olympic bumper plate has a 17.72in(450mm) diameter

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just looked it up, a standard 45lb weight has a 17 3/4-in diameter and a standard Olympic bumper plate has a 17.72in(450mm) diameter
Wow... so they are actually SMALLER? hmm...

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
that is very off then! I noticed this because someone was doing deadlifts with them.. they grabbed a standard 45 lb plate from the other squat racks. You could tell that the standard 45 lb plate was smaller because it didnt meet the ground like the bumper plate did. I'll have to ask the ppl at the gym about this

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
Wow... so they are actually SMALLER? hmm...
that is very off then! I noticed this because someone was doing deadlifts with them.. they grabbed a standard 45 lb plate from the other squat racks. You could tell that the standard 45 lb plate was smaller because it didnt meet the ground like the bumper plate did. I'll have to ask the ppl at the gym about this
Yup, they're slightly smaller. Now that I'm thinking about it, sometimes I would have a bar on the platform with just a bumper 45lb weight on each side, I'd go to put a 45lb iron weight on it too and have to really work to get it on the bar because it made contact with the platform. So it makes since that the bumpers are slightly smaller.

Hopefully that small paragraph is readable.

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
been doing it for 4 weeks my bp hasnt gone over 130/75. I'm a beast, what can I say.
Thanks, I feel better knowing you are keeping an eye on it.Seen too many "omg help I haz teh gyno's threads" by idiots which apparently you are not on of them. :)

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thanks, I feel better knowing you are keeping an eye onion! Seen too many "omg help I haz teh gyno's threads" by idiots which apparently you are not on of them. :)
BigDavid knows what he is doing ;) (I hope lol).
Getting his bloods done post cycle too. Lucky bum.

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Thanks, I feel better knowing you are keeping an eye on it.Seen too many "omg help I haz teh gyno's threads" by idiots which apparently you are not on of them. :)
BigDavid knows what he is doing ;) (I hope lol).
Getting his bloods done post cycle too. Lucky bum.
Shucks, guys :). Actually I am getting "during bloods" next week that I paid for. Gona hit up the doc for some post cycle bloods when I get my physical in a few months :p. I've never got on cycle bloods before since I just do short methyl cycles, but I am curious to see how suppressed I am at my last week on cycle.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Shucks, guys :). Actually I am getting "during bloods" next week that I paid for. Gona hit up the doc for some post cycle bloods when I get my physical in a few months :p. I've never got on cycle bloods before since I just do short methyl cycles, but I am curious to see how suppressed I am at my last week on cycle.
AWESOME!!

BTW, yesterday I did some speed cleans like Jay suggested. My god it was good, got a nice stretch too. Another Q!!

I don't have enough shoulder mobility to do an over head squat (Or hip/low back "give" to get that low w/o lowering my torso) any tips? I know youtube got a ton, but just wondering what you all thought :D

bigdavid

bigdavid

Awards
  • Established
Idk man I have never done any "fancy" type of squats, I like to keep it simple lol

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
wow.... today tried to match my PR of 185x2 for power cleans and I dropped the second one (Well almost... saved it but skinned my chest and arms saving my floor...) I had a technical failure on the second clean's first pull so I just tried to pull the double w/o resetting... never again. lol.

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
Overhead squatting is pretty difficult without Olympic weightlifting shoes. I started out overhead squatting onto a bench seat because I couldn't mentally get myself to squat down without the bench under me lol

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
AWESOME!!

BTW, yesterday I did some speed cleans like Jay suggested. My god it was good, got a nice stretch too. Another Q!!

I don't have enough shoulder mobility to do an over head squat (Or hip/low back "give" to get that low w/o lowering my torso) any tips? I know youtube got a ton, but just wondering what you all thought :D

Other than "you 're insane"? Nope, no thoughts at all. It's a very technical lift, never attempted it, best of luck my friend.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Overhead squatting is pretty difficult without Olympic weightlifting shoes. I started out overhead squatting onto a bench seat because I couldn't mentally get myself to squat down without the bench under me lol
I know... I want those shoes... how the hell do Cross fitters do it w/o the shoes? It doesn't even seem possible w/o them... Even catching the clean at the low ATG squat... squatting that low on a high bar back squat is already damn hard... can't even imagine having the bar in front of me...

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Other than "you 're insane"? Nope, no thoughts at all. It's a very technical lift, never attempted it, best of luck my friend.
The only way I train man....After nearly dropping 185 I did some DE deads. I must say I need to work this lift. My speed sux.... BTW, I do REALLY Abbreviated sessions. 8-15 max effort then like 30-1hr of rest, then I do more... I love the weekends... :D Next up is 100 pull ups for time. I'm getting psyched for this one. I think last winter I did it all in 20mins. I wanna see if I can do it in less than 15 now.

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
100 pull ups for time....that's interesting. Sounds tiring!!

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
100 pull ups for time....that's interesting. Sounds tiring!!
hehe, having to train more as an "athlete" I need to do more balanced work loads. Strength stuff, speed stuff, and endurance stuff. Sadly... When I was doing BB workouts I would only do the strength stuff haha. So I am slow as hell.... AND I don't last very long... Hmm...

taman6886

taman6886

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
hehe, having to train more as an "athlete" I need to do more balanced work loads. Strength stuff, speed stuff, and endurance stuff. Sadly... When I was doing BB workouts I would only do the strength stuff haha. So I am slow as hell.... AND I don't last very long... Hmm...
That's what she said..................:22:

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
5/5/12
Power cleans
135x5x5
155x3
175x3
185x1 (failed the double... was horrible)

DE Deadlifts

185x2x12 (20-30 seconds between sets)

100 pull ups

Time 12mins 8 seconds.

I have determined that my biceps are a real problem right now for my clean and my pull ups... When they get pumped I can't rack the bar well and when I do pull ups they limit how "high" i can get at the top. By no means are the FCKING HYOOOGE. but still they are a bit bigger than I need them to be. Hopefully it's mostly fat and will burn off w/o sacrificing my wonderful on the run, out stretched, on the rise forehands for tennis..... well regardless hopefully if I lose some more weight I can actually get to the ball in time so I'm not doing some ridiculous shot that I should be able to hit clean...

sae2110

sae2110

Awards
I know this sounds patronizing- widen the grip on th pullups? It would open the angle of the elbow at the top of the concentric part- just a thought.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know this sounds patronizing- widen the grip on th pullups? It would open the angle of the elbow at the top of the concentric part- just a thought.
Would definitely bring the lats in more as well. Though I train pull ups mainly for upright stability on my standing OHP and front squats so my hand position mimics the plane I use for those... Good advice though. Just that going from a BB back to a performance athlete... The body just isn't proportionate.... Specially for something like tennis... Lmao.
Thanks!!!

jaycuda

jaycuda

Awards
  • Established
Tennis is the only sport ill openly admit Im bad at lol

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yesterday didn't do anything but watch 2 movies with the wife at home. Checked out some Mobility stuff... omg i'm freaking IMMOBILE!

Oh, and don't worry Jay, tennis is hard.. I admit I joined for the girls.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
5/5/12
Power cleans
135x5x5
155x3
175x3
185x1 (failed the double... was horrible)

DE Deadlifts

185x2x12 (20-30 seconds between sets)

100 pull ups

Time 12mins 8 seconds.

I have determined that my biceps are a real problem right now for my clean and my pull ups... When they get pumped I can't rack the bar well and when I do pull ups they limit how "high" i can get at the top. By no means are the FCKING HYOOOGE. but still they are a bit bigger than I need them to be. Hopefully it's mostly fat and will burn off w/o sacrificing my wonderful on the run, out stretched, on the rise forehands for tennis..... well regardless hopefully if I lose some more weight I can actually get to the ball in time so I'm not doing some ridiculous shot that I should be able to hit clean...
I bet your lats are more the limiting factor than your biceps as far as something obstructing your ascent, that and you need to arch your back a little more to be able to pull to you collar bone or chest once you get a little mass on you. It will bring the lats more into the move also.

mattrag

mattrag

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I bet your lats are more the limiting factor than your biceps as far as something obstructing your ascent, that and you need to arch your back a little more to be able to pull to you collar bone or chest once you get a little mass on you. It will bring the lats more into the move also.
That could be it. When I was doing pull ups on Saturday I was able to hit bw+45x3 (never did weighted pull ups before) but I was able to get my chest over the bar. I guess I wasn't in practice.

Anyway I'm back and I have all my workouts logged in my book. Donno if I'll post um all but it's good to be back lol.