Making NaCL and Acetic Acid... 2 questions

In Hulk

In Hulk

Awards
#1. Someone proposed on another board to make NaCL by taking 1 gallon of distilled water and adding 3.4 grams of sodium chloride salt to it. Then filtering however much you needed.... Has anyone heard of a similar method? Would this work out to roughly .9%?

#2. I'm going to make AA with Vinegar(5%) and water. My question is: After I mix the two and then filter to a vial, how long should it be good for? Any estimate?

Input would be much appreciated.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
#1. Someone proposed on another board to make NaCL by taking 1 gallon of distilled water and adding 3.4 grams of sodium chloride salt to it. Then filtering however much you needed.... Has anyone heard of a similar method? Would this work out to roughly .9%?

#2. I'm going to make AA with Vinegar(5%) and water. My question is: After I mix the two and then filter to a vial, how long should it be good for? Any estimate?

Input would be much appreciated.

1g of Sodium Chloride in 100g/ml of water. Pure water (distilled) weighs 1g/ml. So 100ml of DW and 1g of Sodium Chloride would make 1% NACL solution. 100ml of water with .9g of Sodium Chloride would make .9% solution.

1 US gallon = 3785.41178 ml I think it is closer to 34g of Sodium Chloride for a gallon.

As far as #2 goes, I would assume that the AA should keep for quite some time, as long as everything was sterile to begin with.

In Hulk

In Hulk

Awards
Perhaps the original poster meant to put 34 instead of 3.4.

Well thank you Xodus, I appreciate your help. I'm going to try the NaCL with a half gallon, 17g of salt, and filter 20ml worth.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Perhaps the original poster meant to put 34 instead of 3.4.

Well thank you Xodus, I appreciate your help. I'm going to try the NaCL with a half gallon, 17g of salt, and filter 20ml worth.

I would make more than you need as syringe filters are more costly than sterile vials.