making dreams real log!

injectdreams

Awards
oh joy its monday x_x

ditched the upright row from the advice you guys gave me.
decided to do more volume and try to improve my workload capacity

Day 9 push day

Bench (left shoulder feels really out of place from the get-go not sure how to go forward with this)
:135x10
155x8
155x8
165x5
165x5

smith machine incline around 10degrees (really like these, gave me more contractions than conventional bench)
90x10
110x7
120x6
120x6
120x6
110x8
110x7
110x6

incline db press around 40-45degrees
50x12
55x8
45x10
40x10

db shoulder press (shoulder fatigued by the time i got here, so i might need to change stuff, but im not entirely sure)
40x8
37x6
30x7

front db raises hammer grip
20x10
22x10
25x10
25x10

bus drivers superset with plate front raises @ 25lbs
8x8
10x10
10x15
8x12

triceps:heavy rope pulldowns and reverse pushdowns

notes:
after doing smith machine, i feel like my foundation strength for my chest is relatively week. any tips on how to improve it? and should i keep continuing to use the smith machine?
my left shoulder does really feel out of place whenever i bench, dont know how i should approach this
shoulders fatigued from all prior pressing. is this alright before i reach db shoulder press?

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Smith machine is a no go. Totally Un natural range of motion. Stick with dumbbells. They seem to aggravate my shoulder less then barbell as well. benching before db shoulder press is fine as well. Shoulders are fatigued so a drop in weight will always happen. I think the bigger question is workout structure. Change push days so that shoulders come before chest and vice versa if you want to focus on one more then the other.

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Smith machine is a no go. Totally Un natural range of motion. Stick with dumbbells. They seem to aggravate my shoulder less then barbell as well.
^this

+flat bench presses are not suitable for everybody.

injectdreams

Awards
hmmm alright. ill ditch the smith. and maybe ditch the regular flat bench and try my luck with incline bench.

i did warm up properly this morning as well. rotator cuff exercises horizontally and vertically.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hmmm alright. ill ditch the smith. and maybe ditch the regular flat bench and try my luck with incline bench.

i did warm up properly this morning as well. rotator cuff exercises horizontally and vertically.
Unless I use a narrow grip I always get shoulder discomfort from flat barbell bench. Db no problem though. Long arms and such. Try only db work for a while and see how it treats you.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
try avoiding flat bench for awhile, do everything incline..
can do DB flyes on flat if you desire, but I like these on incline as well
avoid dips for awhile, if you are doing them currently, to ease strain on shoulder for a bit

injectdreams

Awards
Day 10
4 caps daily still. weight around 159/160
woke up and my chest and traps were sore. i guess switching it up helped. front raises totally kill, gotta love it

Back/Pull day

BB row:
135x8
145x10
145x8
145x8
145x6

BW pullups: 35 (trying to get use to them since i havnt done pullups in awhile/added em starting last week)

iso-lateral front lat pulldown (with palms facing me)
45x12 (weight is via 1hand)
55x12
70x12
70x10
70x10
65x10
65x10

latpulldown:
105x10
105x9
120x8
120z8

accessory work:
1.hammer curls to first exhaust forearms
2. db curls
3.ez curls
4. db shrugs
5. face pulls

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looks like s good session. Weeeeeee!

injectdreams

Awards
day 11.
4 caps.
Upper body aches from a good back day yesterday.

Today just feeling really out of it, decided to take the day off to rest and eat.

MavGoose

MavGoose

Awards
Have you ever tried reverse grip bench for upper pecs? Takes less stress off the delts

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hold a plate with your teeth.

injectdreams

Awards
weight around 159.6-160
exhausted right now. just finished gym and writing this as im cooking food
4 caps daily continue
Day 12 Legs :/
Squat: 135x5
155x5,
185x4,
205x5,
210x3,
215x3,
215x3,
215x3 (felt good doing triples, strength slowly coming back to me, would aim 220/225 next time around)

leg press: 180x10
270x7
270x7
290x8
300x8
300x8
300x7
300x7
300x7
270x7

seated leg curl:
70x7
75x10
75x10
75x8
65x10
65x10

leg extension:50x10
60x10
70x10
70x10

accessory work: calfs calfs calfs,weighted cable crunches and hanging leg raises

walking is non-existing. laws of physics taking over: An object at rest stays at rest and an object in motion stays in motion. guess im staying at rest

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Big volume! Awesome session.

injectdreams

Awards
Happy Friday.

Day 13
trying no benching for now, something feels missing from the workout but what do i know

incline db press:
55x10
60x8
65x8
55x12
55x8

flat db press
60x10
65x8
65x7
55x10
55x10
50x10

db shoulder press:
42.5x8
45x8
45x7
45x6
40x8
40x8
35x8
35x8

incline db flys ( i have to drop them from now on, they really agitate my left shoulder.)
25x10
30x8

iso-lateral decline press: weight is per hand
70x10
75x10
75x12

db front raise
20x10
25x10
27.5x10
27.5x10

busdrivers ss w/ front raises with a plate 25lbs
10ss10
10ss12
10ss10

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Happy Friday.

Day 13
trying no benching for now, something feels missing from the workout but what do i know

incline db press:
55x10
60x8
65x8
55x12
55x8

flat db press
60x10
65x8
65x7
55x10
55x10
50x10

db shoulder press:
42.5x8
45x8
45x7
45x6
40x8
40x8
35x8
35x8

incline db flys ( i have to drop them from now on, they really agitate my left shoulder.)
25x10
30x8

iso-lateral decline press: weight is per hand
70x10
75x10
75x12

db front raise
20x10
25x10
27.5x10
27.5x10

busdrivers ss w/ front raises with a plate 25lbs
10ss10
10ss12
10ss10
What kind of an incline do you use on your incline dumbbell fly?

If the incline is too high I get some trouble with my shoulders, on a flat bench it also happens sometimes...slight incline feels best, working up to a max degree of 45(prefer a little lower).

This is personal, not science...

also, I wouldn't do shoulder presses before my incline dumbbell fly's, first finish chest, then follow with shoulders(in this set up), this maybe the reason why your shoulder gives out on the incline fly.

injectdreams

Awards
maybe. the incline at the gym is like 40-45degrees minimum. i do my inclines at the lowest possible setting possible.

i usually would like to have a plate under the bench to make it a -5 to -10 degrees to take some tension off shoulder but they bolted the benches to the floor...

edje007

edje007

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
maybe. the incline at the gym is like 40-45degrees minimum. i do my inclines at the lowest possible setting possible.

i usually would like to have a plate under the bench to make it a -5 to -10 degrees to take some tension off shoulder but they bolted the benches to the floor...
That sucks...the benches at my gym have so many different angles, I'm lucky I guess, can change it to however it feels that day.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
:nervous:
not even close to being a safe practice, would not advise

as for always using lowest angle: mix it up!
various angles always enhance and promote growth and full development in chest region ;)

injectdreams

Awards
:nervous:
not even close to being a safe practice, would not advise

as for always using lowest angle: mix it up!
various angles always enhance and promote growth and full development in chest region ;)

that was months ago :/ yeah i still need to figure out a balanced push day...

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

injectdreams

Awards
Have you thought about a traditional 5 day split?
I use that starting out but I felt bored with it. having to wait a whole week to train a body part again.

I like hitting x2 a week, gives me something to do while I have a lot of extra free time

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have you thought about a traditional 5 day split?
This ^ I was not a believer at first but I gave it a try and really liked it.

injectdreams

Awards
Day 14. pull day
hips were sore and poor mobility so i decided to skip deadlifting
weighed in at 165... probably from all the food and water i had last night.

pullups wide.. no kipping: bw x 40. every 5 pullups,
i supersetted with rope pullthroughs, to help pre-exhaust the back... no set amount
the extra weight made things a lot harder but it was good

seated rows:
130x10
135x10
140x10
140x10

isolateral front lat pulldowns w/ palms facing me
70x10
75x10
75x10
75x9
70x8
55x15

straightbar pulldown palms facing each other
120x12
120x12
120x8

accessory work
hammer curls, always first
ez bar curls
db shrugs
face pulls

will continue to keep pullups in, as it will be beneficial long term.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
I use that starting out but I felt bored with it. having to wait a whole week to train a body part again.

I like hitting x2 a week, gives me something to do while I have a lot of extra free time
understand on the thought process - I can easily fall prey to the trap that is over-activity, simply because it suits me well and I enjoy daily activity

the point however: true and full muscle growth, ie gains, cannot be made to the fullest unless you are getting adequate rest..the only time we grow, is outside of the weight room - not in it
proper rest helps most to ensure this takes place; the idea behind a 5-day split is, to thoroughly exhaust the muscle being focused on in a given particular day, and allow the essential rest required to recuperate, before hitting it again
not saying you cannot grow hitting things 2x weekly at all - and in fact, one thing I embrace is constant change within my training protocols/strategies..just keep in mind, if the effort is all-out and total exhaustion is there, an argument can be made that you are really pushing the boundaries of rest necessary to make all that training effective

drewsicle3210

drewsicle3210

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
In the jefit app or website, search for a routine called 'jefit advanced routine'.
It is a badass 5 day split with plenty of volume. No way you will think that you are missing something. Also, I'm sure there are better ones, but it is a good routine to try or build off of

Sent from my iPhone while

injectdreams

Awards
well i am open to new things/ different

if i do go about going back to a 5-day
how should i approach it to fully maximize the time i have left on 1-alpha.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
well i am open to new things/ different

if i do go about going back to a 5-day
how should i approach it to fully maximize the time i have left on 1-alpha.
My split right now is
Legs
Chest
Back
Shoulders
Arms

Usually I take a day off before or after legs or both.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
^^ pretty basic template, entirely workable (and similar to my own I utilize, just slightly different order of days/bodyparts)
basic 8-12 reps per set, 3-4 sets per exercise, 3-4 different exercises per bodypart..hit failure on every (or at least most) sets..cardio afterwards, if you so choose
can either split off days up, or train 5 days straight/2 days off - is utilized by many wo like to take w/e off while working out during week..don't think too hard about it!

once you hit top portion of rep-range, try to add weight in the next session the following week, still staying in prescribed rep range (perhaps will be lower end of range, by the time training is nearing completion and you start to tire)
work to the top of the rep range again, till you can add more weight; repeat from beginning
easy, and progressive

injectdreams

Awards
how do you guys go about doing arm day. i have total workout adhd
and cardio. im starting to let go alittle bit :/

chefbo

chefbo

Awards
Split arms with other parts. Like chest and trial or shoulders. Push- pull days so you can maximize the tension .

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Split arms with other parts. Like chest and trial or shoulders. Push- pull days so you can maximize the tension .
well that is valid approach -- but requires different format in set-up than what we have been discussing in here chef

@ dreams - if you are structuring the way montego has advised, then of couse the last day becomes arms day + abs if you wish to do those..these are typically good days to follow with postWO-cardio, as comparatively less effort is required for an all-arm day so there is energy to spare
a common approach for me in this format would be, to superset the bi/tri exercises, make sure there is no rest between the two exercises, and very little rest between the sets themselves, so pace is kept high
ie, standing BB curls, then move over immediately to flat close-grip bench; complete, rest for ~45sec, and do it again over 3-4 working sets..take a full 2min break here if you wish and set up for next superset, which may be standing DB curls ss with tri pressdowns, and these are done in same manner and so forth as above..

very basic example, but one I find very effective - hope this helps

DreamWeaver

DreamWeaver

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yah if I was just doing arms I would be using intensive sets short rests, using drop and supersets. I wouldn't go nuts with the volume but definitely there would probably be a fair amount. I use a giant set which has the bi-tri supersets combined with the drop sets goes like this...

Rope pressdown double drop
Alt incline db curls double drop
Xface db tri extension double drop
Prone db curl double drop

Three of these and my arms are toasted .. really like this kind of training though. It's fast and furious.

injectdreams

Awards
much appreciated, will try a 5 split this week. so on chest day, I could destroy them then go straight to some pwo cardio n skip triceps?

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
much appreciated, will try a 5 split this week. so on chest day, I could destroy them then go straight to some pwo cardio n skip triceps?
If you want some ideas check out my log "time to montegrow". Keep in mind I don't focus on biceps as much as Triceps because mine are already big and I'm trying to even out a bit. It will give you and idea though.