Low testosterone-recent test results

albacore44

Awards
hello,

I have been being treated for low testosterone for about 3 years. I am 53 years old, overweight, and suffered from lack of libido, energy etc. my desire was to bring my testosterone into the high normal level for someone in their 20's.
When i started therapy my total testosterone was below 200. My physician prescribed a patch, but after blood testing several times, it did not raise more than 50 or so points. then, several months ago, i read about a new product called striant, which is placed in the mouth between the lip and gum. i asked my dr. to switch me to this product. I coupled this with a herbal concoction/tinticure i made from hunarpo macho, Muira Puama, and catwaba bark powder, along with a capsule called inhibit-e to retard the conversion of testosterone into Estriodal, caused by aromatization from my belly fat.

i just returned from the doctors office with the results of my blood test since starting this treatment 3 months ago. testosterone levels as follows

total = 1446
free =395
% Free = 2.73

To me these numbers seem to be way high. my dr. did not seem to be concerned. he said you should be feeling good now, dont ya. well yes i do, better energy, concentration, and less anxiety. i also wake up with an erection, which had not happend for quite a few years. i have also dropped about 25 lbs, without an increase in excercise, but i am watching my diet.

I welcome any comments, or advice, or share your results

thanks

albacore44

Awards
They neglected to test that this time. One thing I did notice is a big jump in my ALT and AST liver function tests so I'm a bit concerned

Nemesis RR

Awards
I would be concerned to with elevated ALT and AST. How do you go about your day with a strip in your mouth all day? I would look into comprehensive blood work and consider switching to ingectable test. With a test level of 1446 and no ai your estrogen is elevated and could lead to long term problems as the growing of breasts.

Philec48

Awards
  • Established
In addition to estradiol, get tested for bio-available testosterone (free+weakly bound).

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
In addition to estradiol, get tested for bio-available testosterone (free+weakly bound).
Good advice from Nemisis and Phil. Check out Live52 for your liver.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Good advice from Nemisis and Phil. Check out Liv52 for your liver.

DT5

Awards
  • Established
not sure why you are complaining with 1440 total T at your age. get your liver in check with some supps and take some adex for your estrodial, and you should be good to go.

albacore44

Awards
not sure why you are complaining with 1440 total T at your age. get your liver in check with some supps and take some adex for your estrodial, and you should be good to go.
I'm not complaining. i was just concerned that it was somewhat too high.

I am taking 25 mg of 1 4 6- androstatriene-3 17 dione (inhibit-e) , and Super Miraforte (life extension)to control Estrodial.

Is 1440 TT too high ??

Also, do you have any advice on a good supplement to help with the Liver enzymes ?? I have some powdered Milk thistle. Would the high AST be due to the higher Testosterone levels ??

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

coltonlee

coltonlee

Awards
could you pm me if you have time or post with what sides you had with low T
im in a similar boat and was wondering if trt helped you maybe it could help me

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
Please provide the range
You also need to have your thyroid, adrenals, and estrodial managmeent.
Personally pushing the levels into dark waters you are risking more problem down the road
Going higher on testoserone you are putting extra strain on your heart, detoxification system, thyroid, and adrenals. I like to see patients testosterone 500-600 at trough you are >50 years old. You are only putting your self in to a bad situation because we where not ever meant to have levels that high when we are that age. There is a point of dimiminsing no return and you have gone over it IMO.

need4speed

Awards
I like to see patients testosterone 500-600
What if they have a low Bioavailable testosterone? I believe must people need testosterone levels of 800-1200ng/dl to have suitable amounts of Bioavailable testosterone. It's rare to have someone with 500-600ng/dl that have really high amounts of Bioavailable testosterone.

Mass_69

Mass_69

Awards
  • Established
I would be concerned to with elevated ALT and AST. How do you go about your day with a strip in your mouth all day? I would look into comprehensive blood work and consider switching to ingectable test. With a test level of 1446 and no ai your estrogen is elevated and could lead to long term problems as the growing of breasts.
Striant is a troche that dissolves in your mouth (I think in 30 minutes or less).

Albacore44 - Since you are using ATD (Inhibit-E), that could actually give false-positives for elevated testosterone depending on the type of assay used.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7210060?itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum&ordinalpos=130
Steroids. 1980 Dec;36(6):717-21.
Immunological interference of the synthetic aromatase inhibitor 1,4,6-androstatriene-3,17-dione (ATD) and its metabolite(s) in the radioimmunoassay for testosterone.

Donaldson MD, Forest MG.

Radioimmunoassay (RIA) for testosterone (T) in unchromatographed plasma extracts from ATD-treated rats gave spuriously high values for T. Cross-reaction and chromatographic studies subsequently showed that ATD and, to a much greater extent, its metabolite(s) were responsible for this overestimation. Celite column chromatography proved to be an effective way of separating T from ATD and its product(s) of metabolism.

PMID: 7210060 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Also, did your physician instruct you on when to get your blood drawn for testing? Troches tend to cause a very high spike in T shortly after ingestion, followed by a somewhat steep drop-off over the rest of the day (usually back below the "normal" range).

Your high T levels may not actually be that high after all.

albacore44

Awards
My regular GP seemed to have little experience or interest or knowledge about andropause. i decided to have myself checked out about 4 years ago after reading the information in the Life Extension book. When I go in for the blood test, i always specify to the nurse what extrat tests i want added, which is the list I got from the Life Extension book. I really don't think my GP understands what all the numbers mean. Also, not sure if anyone here has experience with Striant, but it seems like the enamel on my upper front teeth is breaking down. Not sure if Striant is causing it, and I dident see it on the list of side effects

The Matrix

The Matrix

Awards
  • Established
What if they have a low Bioavailable testosterone? I believe must people need testosterone levels of 800-1200ng/dl to have suitable amounts of Bioavailable testosterone. It's rare to have someone with 500-600ng/dl that have really high amounts of Bioavailable testosterone.
Provided that adrenals, e2, and thyroid, shbg is incheck.
people with low shbg need only 5-600 test to be sexual machines but the other systems have to be in balance as well. There are exceptions to the rules such as androgen resistance and elevated SHBG from too much thyroid or liver issues. These need to be all taken in to consideration plus we relie on symptoms as well. But if you have good e2 and shbg 20/20 and total T of 550-600 then its something else that needs to be looked at not TRT.

If you are unhappy with Dr. Pleases PM me and I be glad to look at your case more indept.