Do testosterone boosters cause low testosterone?

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I had a really hard time getting thru that video because of some of the things being said.

I've seen some of his videos in the past, but this one just really struck me as him trying to get people to pay for his consultations and TRT with him rather than look for natural options to avoid TRT or help them feel better.

First and foremost, his website is marketed to selling people on TRT, so of course trying to convince people to avoid natural testosterone boosters is in his financial best interest.

But ironically, I never heard one time, and I admittedly did zone out toward the end, how he proposed that natural testosterone boosters could give you low testosterone - which furthered my thought of it being a sales pitch for TRT.

I think that it was a bit disingenuous for him to lump prohormones in with natural testosterone boosters. He did midway through the video finally distinguish the difference, but it seems like it was those that he was saying that could actually possibly cause low testosterone. Which ph's can cause lower testosterone levels but so can anabolic steroids and TRT if you ever come off of it. Again, this has nothing to do with actual natural testosterone boosters.

He actually spoke of natural testosterone boosters as being a gateway to ph's and anabolic steroids - which is kind of ridiculous in my opinion because some people that use natural testosterone boosters may be using them with low dose TRT but most are using them to try to feel better without having to go the TRT route (again, since he openly markets being a TRT doctor, kind of an incentive to try to get people to not use natural testosterone boosters).

Then, the way that he presents some of the supplements is a pretty slanted viewpoint as well.

He said that Yohimbine is a testosterone booster - I haven't heard anyone actually claim that since the 90's, and in context, back then people really may have thought it was because it helps with erection quality.

Then, he presents information on herbs and speaks in very generic overview terms - which I get not mentioning branded ingredients, because some of what he was saying isn't true and would have opened him to lawsuits if he mentioned them.

For Example:
He said that Ashwagandha didn't or may not (forgot exact wording) increase testosterone levels but instead made people feel better by reducing cortisol. Maybe for generic extracts, but take KSM-66 for example - Ixoreal, the company that has the patent for KSM-66 is a 300+ million dollar company that has over 25 clinical studies on KSM-66 and here's a copy and paste of KSM-66 on testosterone levels:

The study found that KSM-66 supplementation increased testosterone levels by 17%, semen volume by 53%, sperm concentration by 167%, luteinizing hormone by 34%and sperm motility by 57%. The double blind, randomized, placebo-controlled trial looked at 46 males between the ages of 22 and 44.

Another example:
He mentioned Fenugreek as a general term but there are multiple constituents in Fenugreek that do different things. You can for example isolate for one type to be good for women's health, one constituent to be good for blood sugar support, and another type/constituent has clinical studies showing that it absolutely is good for increasing natural testosterone levels.

Here is the result and conclusion from one study on Furosap, a type of Fenugreek specifically extracted to help increase natural testosterone levels:

Results: Furosap supplementation significantly increased mean lean body mass and fat-free mass compared to subjects receiving placebo. Additionally, Furosap-treated subjects elevated serum testosterone levels. Furosap supplemented subjects also exhibited a tendency towards lowering blood pressure during exhaustion. No adverse reports were reported.

Conclusions: Given improvement of lean body mass and serum total testosterone following intervention with Furosap, Furosap likely has benefits for exercise endurance and sports medicine.

He also said that no one knew how it supposedly worked; yet here is an except from a clinical study on Furosap:

It boosts testosterone level via stimulating pituitary gland. Protodioscin acts by stimulating the enzyme 5- alpha-reductase, which plays a role in the conversion of testosterone into dihydrotestosterone. Dihydrotestosterone, in turn enhances erythropoiesis and muscle development. More erythropoiesis or production of red blood cell increases the haemoglobin level, which results in better oxygen transport throughout the body, resulting in a more optimal health. Both increased production of testosterone contribute to the increase in sexual functions, and it increases unbound free testosterone levels, which improves muscle mass, fat loss, strength and endurance. In addition, protodioscin also stimulates the hypothalamus secretion of luteinizing hormone (LH) which also helps to increase the level of testosterone.

I could keep going on and on, but I think or hope that anyone reading gets the point.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Based on the description, the “problem” is that people are coming in with low T who have used test boosters…

Did it not occur to him that they’re using test boosters because they have low T? I think he has the causality perfectly backward.

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Could a test booster cause low t? Yes. Do they, as a rule? Unlikely, at least for the good ones (but that doesn't take everyone's situation into account). There are always exceptions.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
If I were to fathom a guess without having watched his videos, I'd assume he was trying to villainize anything OTC in order to sell you on his services.