Liftandswim's Log

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Been super busy and I'll be unable to train until Friday. Three solid days off, so I'm going to resume normal training. Shortened deload week, but not really.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
I'm back!

3/18

Hypertrophy Block #3

Week 6, Day 1

High Bar Squat
365x5
385x5
385x5
365x5

High Bar Pause Squat
315x7
315x7

Hack Squat
1x20

Pause CGBP
225x8
225x8
225x8
225x8

Weighted Dips
+100x8
+100x8

Machine Fly
2x15

Lateral Raises
3x15
superset
Face Pulls
3x15

Tricep Pushdown
5x15
superset
Dumbbell Curl
5x15

Cutting is easy with my current activity level. Just going to do my best to keep the volume high and maintain my strength.

Stay strong AM.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
3/19

Hypertrophy Block #3

Week 6, Day 2 (part B)

Seated BTN Press
135x8 superset Pull-Ups x10

Incline Skullcrusher
5x15
superset
Incline Curl
5x15

Straight Arm Pulldown
2x25

Overslept (set my alarm for PM instead of AM...), so I couldn't deadlift. Not enough time. So I hit the prescribed accessory work for the day and will deadlift tomorrow morning.

Stay strong AM.

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Strong asz numbers during a cut, and hypertrophy at that.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
How well does your metabolism bounce back after you cut? Mine has yet to bounce back really at all.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
How well does your metabolism bounce back after you cut? Mine has yet to bounce back really at all.
Metabolic damage is something sold to you by the fitness industry. Changes in BMR are from the loss of lean tissue and loss of body mass in general. Hormones come into play too, as always, but it's all overstated. In research done, we've found STARVATION (not bro cutting) to cause about a 10% shift in BMR (which is barely anything) in the most extreme cases. So yeah...my metabolism doesn't change.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Metabolic damage is something sold to you by the fitness industry. Changes in BMR are from the loss of lean tissue and loss of body mass in general. Hormones come into play too, as always, but it's all overstated. In research done, we've found STARVATION (not bro cutting) to cause about a 10% shift in BMR (which is barely anything) in the most extreme cases. So yeah...my metabolism doesn't change.
Then I wonder why I was eating so much before and now I've barely increased cals at all and I'm gaining. I'm just wondering what could be going on is all.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Then I wonder why I was eating so much before and now I've barely increased cals at all and I'm gaining. I'm just wondering what could be going on is all.
Inaccurate tracking...confusing the types of foods you eat with "eating a lot" aka having ice cream so you think you're going crazy but you still end up 3500 calories on the day. Things like that is my guess. I bet if you did a weekly weighted average of everything you ate then versus now over the course of a month the difference wouldn't be as large as you think it is. Also you gotta realize 10-15lbs difference in body weight can mean a lot. What your "dose" is plays a role too. Not trying to discredit you or anything you're saying, just offering up my opinion. I mean, you hear all this talk from people "oh I eat nothing, but gain weight" or "I eat all the time and can't gain a pound" or "I have a slow metabolism, it's genetic" but none of this has been able to be reproduced in any of the nutritional science literature.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Inaccurate tracking...confusing the types of foods you eat with "eating a lot" aka having ice cream so you think you're going crazy but you still end up 3500 calories on the day. Things like that is my guess. I bet if you did a weekly weighted average of everything you ate then versus now over the course of a month the difference wouldn't be as large as you think it is. Also you gotta realize 10-15lbs difference in body weight can mean a lot. What your "dose" is plays a role too. Not trying to discredit you or anything you're saying, just offering up my opinion. I mean, you hear all this talk from people "oh I eat nothing, but gain weight" or "I eat all the time and can't gain a pound" or "I have a slow metabolism, it's genetic" but none of this has been able to be reproduced in any of the nutritional science literature.
I understand your points and agree with them. I've been tracking my cals for around 9 years now. I track within 5-10 accuracy of protein and carbs and within 5 on fats. I weigh all my foods and measure them all. So my total numbers are accurate and I'm currently gaining on less then around 800-1000 cals this time around then I was last bulk. I also had to cut on less my last cut compared to my cut before that.

I am on half the dose I was on before. So that's s factor. I doubt it's THAT big of factor. But who knows.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
I understand your points and agree with them. I've been tracking my cals for around 9 years now. I track within 5-10 accuracy of protein and carbs and within 5 on fats. I weigh all my foods and measure them all. So my total numbers are accurate and I'm currently gaining on less then around 800-1000 cals this time around then I was last bulk. I also had to cut on less my last cut compared to my cut before that.

I am on half the dose I was on before. So that's s factor. I doubt it's THAT big of factor. But who knows.
3 points come to mind. 1. You're on half the dose, like you said. 2. This relates back to point #1....as a result of said half dose combined with a lower volume in training due to injury you're now holding less lean tissue at a given body weight and 3. You said you work a desk job if I'm not mistaken, perhaps your other job was a bit more active. Doesn't have to be anything crazy, but a couple hundred calories is easy to rack up when you're on the clock for hours. But like you said, who knows. All 100% speculation.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Less total work per training session also = less caloric expenditure per workout. Probably a few small factors adding up to that 800-1000 cals.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
3 points come to mind. 1. You're on half the dose, like you said. 2. This relates back to point #1....as a result of said half dose combined with a lower volume in training due to injury you're now holding less lean tissue at a given body weight and 3. You said you work a desk job if I'm not mistaken, perhaps your other job was a bit more active. Doesn't have to be anything crazy, but a couple hundred calories is easy to rack up when you're on the clock for hours. But like you said, who knows. All 100% speculation.
The dose yes. You are right about the lower work somewhat but I'm now hitting volume prs in the upper body. I'm carrying more muscle mass at this weight this time around then I did last time. Yes my last job was retail and standing and walking. But these issues were already in effect before I switched jobs. I have accounted for that but it wasn't just when I changed jobs.

I guess I just gotta get stronger and bigger and increase my work capacity again. Since I have all these injuries.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Deadlifts that were prescribed yesterday.

3/20

Hypertrophy Block #3

Week 6, Day 2 (part A)

Deadlift
440x2
440x2
440x2

Block Pull
460x2
460x2

Deficit Pull
415x4
415x4

Back Extensions
50 total

Blocks and deficits were a bîtch. Confident getting i'm getting stronger though.

Stay strong AM.

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I know you are a Bryce fan. Have a buddy getting his programming from him and he pointed out that there is miscalculations in what he sent and Bryce doesn't send you what he says he is gonna send you. Example would be saying we will have you deadlift once a week then send you a twice a week template. I guess he's go to many people to be accurate. Unfortunate if anyone was considering tsa for programming.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
I know you are a Bryce fan. Have a buddy getting his programming from him and he pointed out that there is miscalculations in what he sent and Bryce doesn't send you what he says he is gonna send you. Example would be saying we will have you deadlift once a week then send you a twice a week template. I guess he's go to many people to be accurate. Unfortunate if anyone was considering tsa for programming.
Yeah, I bet that type of thing happens everywhere. I'm sure an email would have it solved. I'll never pay for programming though. Training is easy

SweetLou321

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah, I bet that type of thing happens everywhere. I'm sure an email would have it solved. I'll never pay for programming though. Training is easy
Of for sure. Just thought I'd share. Some stuff was cleared up by email. I think it was the impression the inaccuracies left him with when Bryce main job is training.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
3/21

Hypertrophy Block #3

Week 6, Day 3

3 Count Pause Bench
225x8
225x8
225x8
225x8

Weighted Chins
+30x8
+30x8
+30x8

Hammer Strength Row
5x12

Cable Row
3x15
superset
Cable Fly
3x15

Cable Lateral Raises
5x15
superset
Prone Rear Fly
5x15

Rolling Tricep Extension
3x12
superset
Dumbbell Curl
3x12

Tri-Set: 3 Rounds
Face Pulls x15
Plate Lateral Raises x15
Shrugs x15

Tricep Pushdown
5x15
superset
Incline Curl
5x15

Stay strong AM.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
3/22

Hypertrophy Block #3

Week 6, Day 4

Squat
370x7
370x7
370x7
370x7
370x7
370x7

GM
255x10
275x10

Rack Pull
365x8
385x8

Lunges
165x6 each leg
190x6 each leg PR
225x6 each leg PR

Leg Curl
3x15

Tough session. Squats went well, experimented with a slightly wider stance. Idk. GMs and rack pulls were a breeze, but I pushed myself on that last set of lunges. Glutes are fried.

Stay strong AM.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
2/24

Hypertrophy Block #3

Week 6, Day 5

Bench
265x6
265x6
265x6
265x6
265x6

3 Count Pause Bench
225x6
225x6

Weighted Dips
+90x10
+90x10
+90x10

Cable Row
5x12

Tri-Set: 3 Rounds
Pull-Ups x10
Lateral Raises x15
Face Pulls x15

Tricep Pushdown
5x15
superset
Dumbbell Curl
5x15

Went alright. Just putting in the work.

Got a promotion yesterday so I'll be moving in the coming months.

Stay strong AM.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good work in and out of the gym, bro.

Congrats on the promotion.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Nice man! That promotion didn't take too long! Stayin within the state? Maybe wherever you move will have a gym with more PL stuff nearby.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Nice man! That promotion didn't take too long! Stayin within the state? Maybe wherever you move will have a gym with more PL stuff nearby.
Yeah, a little less than 7 months. And I expect another one in around the same time frame. The company I work for only promotes from within and tends to fast track people they identify as high performing.

And I'll be moving out of state, West Virginia. Doing a quick search, looks like there's two powerlifting gyms in the area (if they're still open). Should be fun. Hopefully, they're affordable and not on some crossfit like prices.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Awesome dude! Congrats again. Sounds like you found a good gig.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What part of WV, Ian?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Parkersburg
Couple friends used to train down there. Had two of the best single ply benchers in the world. If you go on Facebook there's a page called "Strong Box" WV. If you ask there, you'll find out where to train.

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Couple friends used to train down there. Had two of the best single ply benchers in the world. If you go on Facebook there's a page called "Strong Box" WV. If you ask there, you'll find out where to train.
Nice. Thanks!

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
So, a friend I hadn't seen in awhile texted me and wanted to squat. Couldn't say no. It's my off day from work anyway.

Squatted in flat shoes. I've never felt my glutes activate so hard. Working on a more controlled, repeatable squat. Felt great. Think I'm going to stick with flats when I squat low bar. Use the olys for high bar and fronts. Worse case scenario it doesn't pan out and I switch back. Who cares.

Squat
405x3
440x2
440x2

Pause Squat
365x3
405x2
405x2

...and then we said fuk it lets go get some food. Gym was a madhouse.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I like it. Thats the way to go for me too (flats for low bar and olys for high bar and fronts).

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
I like it. Thats the way to go for me too (flats for low bar and olys for high bar and fronts).
Yep. I felt more stable. Able to maintain position better in and out of the hole. Experimenting with rack position too after watching an Alan Thrall video. Gotta make 500 for reps happen somehow!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I prefer flats too. Maybe that's why I wasn't great at high bar, because the flats.

Congrats Ian.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Did my last max in flats. It's a trend .

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Flats for this guy too.

Love my oly shoes for high bar/fronts, but I'm a stronger squatter with a wide stance/flat shoe.

Probably because I have baby quadz.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I feel like as we progress, our lifts evolve differently. I don't think you'll never have the same precise stance, toe angle, torso angle, ect. Change is good

liftandswim

liftandswim

Awards
Flats for this guy too.

Love my oly shoes for high bar/fronts, but I'm a stronger squatter with a wide stance/flat shoe.

Probably because I have baby quadz.
My stance is moderate I guess. Certainly not wide. Used to be a bit narrower, but I slowly moved it out over the course of the past few months. Probably where I'll stay because my quads are one of my strengths.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I like flats for going heavy without wraps but I squat better in wraps in oly shoes.