• Start date
Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I know lean gains is all the craze, even I'm trying it. My only thought is, how many "BIG" guys are doing it? I just foresee an eventual problem with eating for only 8hrs and getting calories in.

Granted I could be 100% wrong, this is just theory (me thinking) once you get to the 5-6k calorie mark that's a large feat getting that in much food in and have it being nutritionally dense.

Gerbil

Gerbil

Awards
  • Established
I had no problem getting in 4000 calories in an 8 hour time span. Not sure how many calories we are talking here. Also depends on what you are eating, if you are a whole foods vegan (doubtful) it would be horrifically annoying to eat like that.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had no problem getting in 4000 calories in an 8 hour time span. Not sure how many calories we are talking here. Also depends on what you are eating, if you are a whole foods vegan (doubtful) it would be horrifically annoying to eat like that.
That's where I see the cap, 4,000 calories. I can see that being possible but at 5,000 it seems like it'd be tough. The protein is the biggest thing I guess, 400gr? That's works out to be about 100gr per meal. I've talked with guys who have lowered their protein while on IF but I'm just wondering if guys are doing it at the higher body weight.

At 5k and 225lbs, my ideal calorie breakdown would be Roughly pro:450 carb: 525 fat:125 on build days.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Isn't Frank a 225+? I don't know, just asking.

I'm doing it. I'm currently "stuck" at 242 (I could have sworn I was 250, guess I just look bigger since I'm leaner) trying to work up to 270 over the next year or so. Probably not going to happen without having to first get ugly, lol.

Also, kabuki has been using IF for a while starting at a bodyweight of around 240 something. He might have dipped below 225 though, I don't know, I haven't watched any of his vids with sound on, but bear in mind he's a powerlifter, and they traditionally take in tons of protein.

Just remember, if your protein is coming in from whole food sources, and especially from fattier meats, you're going to take a while to digest that all. Those things spend a lot of time in your intestines, and while food sits there it's still being digested, and the contents (amino acids, fatty acids, and micronutrients) are being absorbed through the lining of the intestine. If you're concerned about not being able to digest the 150g of protein from that whopping steak, just check the toilet bowl to see if you shat out a t-bone =p

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oops, I was mistaken on both counts. Both do some form of IF, but actually I don't think they do LeanGains.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks toro, reps when I get home. I don't know what frank is, never asked him haha. If doing fasted training I could see how it'd be much easier, hammering 2,000 cals post workout would be easier, 1lb of chicken, 2 cups pasta with sauce, 75gr whey with 16oz of grape juice and you're knocking on the door. IMO its not ideal to do that the other 2 or 3 meals you have (the grape juice) but maybe this is the beauty of IF, you can? I'm still researching & experimenting.

Yeah digestive enzymes would seems like your best friend. They are when not on IF so I could only imagine. I'm far from 225 atm but plan on getting close within the next year. I'm just thinking out loud as I see a lot of bigger guys saying they can't on IF. Very well could be bc thy haven't tried. I plan on giving it a shot until I see proof other wise, 3 weeks and I haven't yet.

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah digestive enzymes would seems like your best friend. They are when not on IF so I could only imagine. I'm far from 225 atm but plan on getting close within the next year. I'm just thinking out loud as I see a lot of bigger guys saying they can't on IF. Very well could be bc thy haven't tried. I plan on giving it a shot until I see proof other wise, 3 weeks and I haven't yet.
I think them not being able to is a matter of pain tolerance (haha) and habit. I used to not be able to down 3-4k calories in 8 hours (seriously, it's a focking lot!) when I tried it a year ago, but I went back to it several months ago, stuck it out, and haven't had a problem. A cool trick I've found is PWO, when it's time to down my most calorie-heavy meal, I start off with something with lots of high GI carbs. I feel it helps me get hungry. Then, I continue cooking my food, and about 20 minutes later I'm ravenous.

I can't comment on selection of foods for LG. I do know you want the majority of your cals to be eaten PWO, especially protein. Carbs are good peri-workout (so the meal before you workout as well as the meal after), but the goal is 60-100% of your calories should be gotten after you work out. I eat twice before working out, a 800 calorie chicken salad and a 600-800 calorie fat-free cottage cheese tub (I throw in peanut butter). After workouts, I eat a combined pound of lean ground beef and salmon, 5 eggs, tall glass of milk (12-16oz), big bowl of mixed berries (~200-300 calories), and a cup of oatmeal cooked in a cup and a half of milk, mixed with a generous portion of honey and a scoop of protein. Also have a protein shake between the gym and eating my PWO meal (only 240 calories). I've since added donuts, or pop tarts, or frosted cookies to my PWO meal. So that's about 2500-2600k.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You're right, it's a huge mind switch from eating meals through the day to IF eating habits.

I also eat 2 meals before the gym, each meal is supposed to contain roughly 20-25% daily cals (40-50 of your totals).

I've started to kind of do what you're doing (makes me feel good I'm on the right track lol) I'll slam a shake when I'm done and pour a big glass of grape juice and start to drink that while I'm cooking my chicken and pasta.

I have trained twice fasted and was able to eat right after and I felt and looked a lot better. My work schedule won't allow this though, back when I was swing shift, this would have worked great. Things are getting dicey at work and I may request going back to that shift, hmmm lol.

vassille

Awards
I know lean gains is all the craze, even I'm trying it. My only thought is, how many "BIG" guys are doing it? I just foresee an eventual problem with eating for only 8hrs and getting calories in.

Granted I could be 100% wrong, this is just theory (me thinking) once you get to the 5-6k calorie mark that's a large feat getting that in much food in and have it being nutritionally dense.
I realized a while back that is not the amount of food one eats as much as how that food is digested and if it's timed correctly.
One can eat 10k but if only 3000k is utilized is a total waiste of time.