Knee pain. Need help w Leg workout...

spirall08

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Unfortunately, I am starting to come to the sad realization that I may not be able to squat anymore. Hurt my knee a few months ago while squatting. Took 2 months off. Tried going back lightly. Still getting pain =(

This happened with my elbows as I can no longer do skull-crushers. Difference is, Ive found other great Tri exercises and haven't missed a beat.

I'm desperate for some suggestions on what else I can do for legs, without further injuring my knee. I used to have great quads and have definitely lost some mass since the injury. I know the old saying that squats are critical to growth. It sucks not being able to do them anymore. Feels like I am cheating. But at 31 years old, I do not need knee problems.

I know there have got to be other dudes out there with knee problems who still train legs. Just looking for some suggestions on a new routine.

Thanks...

kswiss

kswiss

Awards
Just do what doesnt hurt, try some other forms of squatting. Positioning the weight at a diff point could take the pressure off the injury, also would prolly not be lifting with as much weight as you would back squats. Leg press, Romanian deads shouldnt bother ur knees at all. Just try some diff things and see what bothers u knees

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
2 cents...

Yes, I have had knee pain, especially when I first started years ago.
Here are a few things you might try, if you are still reluctant to give up squatting completely.

Different shoes or maybe a slight heel or an oly shoe
Vary stance widths and or foot flare
Are the knees staying over the feet throughout?
Don't let your knees torque or twist.
I use my Rehbands for heavier work
Have you done any trigger point work or foam roller stuff in the the calves, hams and quads, especially around the knees?
Maybe Trap bar deads from a deficit still having a higher hip crease

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Have you been to the doctor? Could be an easy fix. I've had a few knee surgeries and a few months ago started getting pain again when squatting. Turned out to be an easy fix as now I use patella straps and have no pain when squatting. Probably worth getting looked at.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Its time to analyze your technique if you hurt your knees while squatting.

spirall08

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
2 cents... Yes, I have had knee pain, especially when I first started years ago. Here are a few things you might try, if you are still reluctant to give up squatting completely. Different shoes or maybe a slight heel or an oly shoe Vary stance widths and or foot flare Are the knees staying over the feet throughout? Don't let your knees torque or twist. I use my Rehbands for heavier work Have you done any trigger point work or foam roller stuff in the the calves, hams and quads, especially around the knees? Maybe Trap bar deads from a deficit still having a higher hip crease

I've tried different stances. Not really much difference. I just bought a foam roller and will start to use that soon.

Have you been to the doctor? Could be an easy fix. I've had a few knee surgeries and a few months ago started getting pain again when squatting. Turned out to be an easy fix as now I use patella straps and have no pain when squatting. Probably worth getting looked at.

I have gone to the Dr... they want to do an MRI (which would cost me well over a grand). That or they just tell me to rest (which Ive done already). For them taking 6 months off or stopping weight training on legs all together isn't a big deal. What did your doctor say or do? Just told you to use those patella straps?

Its time to analyze your technique if you hurt your knees while squatting.

Yea dude I'm not debating that my form was ****ed up during the rep/set that I injured it on.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
What is the pain actually like? Sharp stab, any mechanical impairments during or after certain moves, or any present swelling? Certain combinations could be indicative of different injuries. From ligaments to cartilage at your age all can be factors, and a visit to an ortho can benefit ya more than my guessing. Hope my little bit can help a little

spirall08

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What is the pain actually like? Sharp stab, any mechanical impairments during or after certain moves, or any present swelling? Certain combinations could be indicative of different injuries. From ligaments to cartilage at your age all can be factors, and a visit to an ortho can benefit ya more than my guessing. Hope my little bit can help a little
Yea bro its a sharp pain. Under the knee cap. toward the inside of the leg. No swelling that I notice.

I guess what I am asking is are there any exercises or changes to my form that can reduce stress on the knee???

For example, when leg pressing, should I point my toes outward? Spread my feet wider apart? Not go as deep? Etc...

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
How do you start your leg day? Recently I have started doing leg curls before I squat. Seems to have made a difference for me. Less knee pain and my hamstrings are growing.

spirall08

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How do you start your leg day? Recently I have started doing leg curls before I squat. Seems to have made a difference for me. Less knee pain and my hamstrings are growing.
Since the injury I start with Leg Extensions. Light weight. 15-20 reps. Just to get the blood flowing and knee warmed up.

How many sets/reps of Leg curls are you doing?

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yea bro its a sharp pain. Under the knee cap. toward the inside of the leg. No swelling that I notice.

I guess what I am asking is are there any exercises or changes to my form that can reduce stress on the knee???

For example, when leg pressing, should I point my toes outward? Spread my feet wider apart? Not go as deep? Etc...
Your depth shouldn't drop below parallel but the actual point of injury will make all the difference on where your sweet spot will be. If its a possible meniscus issue then your pain will only get worse over time the more you irritate the joint space. I dont recommend pointing your toes outward just because you increase the amount of force towards the medial aspect of your knees. Thats if its a meniscus issue and immediate swelling will onset when ya do just enough damage to stop and look around like OOOHHHHH SSHHIIIZZZZZ lol.

Leg press Id recommend a stance just outside of shoulders, but feet a little higher up. Also a great WmUp that will help with some of the atrophy is getting a band and tie it around a pole, bench, or someone willing to hold and looping it behind the knee. Allow the knee to flex forward until ya reach decent length and extend the knee back through. It is a great way to blast those quads especially combined with a 3sec pause. The lowering phase gives you endurance in the hams and glutes if your hip hinge is on point, help flexibility in the achilles and gastro, and does wonders for the quads.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Since the injury I start with Leg Extensions. Light weight. 15-20 reps. Just to get the blood flowing and knee warmed up.

How many sets/reps of Leg curls are you doing?
2 light warm up sets then I either pyramid up in weight 12, 10, 8, 8 or just do 4 sets of 8 slowly adding 5 pounds a set. On the last set I do 25 partials at the bottom of the rep.

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have gone to the Dr... they want to do an MRI (which would cost me well over a grand). That or they just tell me to rest (which Ive done already). For them taking 6 months off or stopping weight training on legs all together isn't a big deal. What did your doctor say or do? Just told you to use those patella straps?
My doctor had me stand and squat my bodyweight. He then placed pressure at the bottom of my knee cap which actually felt a lot better, and that's why he suggested the straps. I've had surgery on that knee twice already so it was nice to have some relatively easy relief. What did your doctor tell you besides that they want an MRI. Everytime I have had an MRI it was to confirm a suspicion that the doctor had after assessing me in the office.

Jericoe

Jericoe

Awards
Check into getting some knee sleeves, they cured my knee pain.

If you get some, get blue rehbands, they are the only ones that are worth it.

spirall08

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Your depth shouldn't drop below parallel but the actual point of injury will make all the difference on where your sweet spot will be. If its a possible meniscus issue then your pain will only get worse over time the more you irritate the joint space. I dont recommend pointing your toes outward just because you increase the amount of force towards the medial aspect of your knees. Thats if its a meniscus issue and immediate swelling will onset when ya do just enough damage to stop and look around like OOOHHHHH SSHHIIIZZZZZ lol.

Leg press Id recommend a stance just outside of shoulders, but feet a little higher up.
Thanks bro. Gave legs a shot today. No squats. After warmup I hit leg press, lunges, leg extension and hamstring curls.

Leg press I put my feet higher up. Shoulder width. Avoided pointing my toes outward. I actually thought that was better for the knees. Currently icing my knee as a precaution. Lets see how things feel over the course of the next few days.

Check into getting some knee sleeves, they cured my knee pain.
If you get some, get blue rehbands, they are the only ones that are worth it.
Ordered. Thanks for the suggestion. Lets hope they make a difference...

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Awesome Im glad you were able to finish through ok, and oh yea Icing is always advised lls

hvylifter

hvylifter

Awards
  • Established
I would continue to try different variations of foot width and angle plus different heel heights. My knees hurt the first several years of squating to the point of difficulty walking. I've had many back, knee, elbow, wrist injuries/pain. Work through it. Do 135 if that's all you can do without pain. Warmup allot or do Squats last (usually should be first imo). Course I'm ocd, stubborn, bi polar, nuts, etc. I'd say it will get better with time, mine always has.