Jim Goes NUTS with AppNut!

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Cage Presses are tougher than they look eh? Glad you liked them Jim.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What's on the plate for the weekend?
I've got 24 hour duty tomorrow, but if I can get away for a couple of hours I plan to do my ME lower.

And depending on how long I sleep after I get off at 0900 Sunday I want to do some GPP then too.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Didn't get a chance to do anything this weekend. Except sit on a desk, eat fast food, and strengthen my brain. Started listening to the audio book Mastery it's pretty good so far.

Slept too late on Sunday to get any sprints or sleds in. :sigh:

But today! got my workout on.

6MAY13 ME Upper

Pre: 3 Drive, 7 N.O. Uptake, 2 Uncut, 3g Mono
Intra: 1/2 gallon of BCAA + Gatorade

Warm-up: External Rotations, Over and Backs, Ext. Rot., Shoulder Dislocates, Lacrosse ball across pec minor and scapula adductors.

Bench: Work to 2RM (normally wouldn't do the same exercise 2 weeks in a row, but the workout partner didn't go last week so I just changed the rep range and hit it again)
45x5, 95x5, 135x2, 175x2, 205x2, 215x2, 225x1 (PR)

Dips: BWx18, +45x13

a1. T-Bar Rows: 25x12, 45x12, 70x12, 85x8, 115x6 (had to feel these out because I haven't done them in years lol)
a2. Face Pulls: 100x12, 120x10, 120x9x2, 140x9

b1. BB Shrugs: 185x13, 205x10, 205x14 (alt. grip, 7 each. Grip was smoked and I couldn't hold it for the last set)
b2. Rope Pushdown: 100x15, 120x13, 140x8

Notes: The pump on the first superset was intense! Might have hit a PR on the face pulls (rep PR), but I would have to check my log to be sure. Also, might have hit a rep PR on the Dips as well (but again, I would have to check). My Tri's were feeling awful (read: awesome) during the last set of the pushdowns. Wasn't able to get the rope today for face pulls so I used this awkward 'V' shaped bar and it actually worked out really well. Feeling like a boss right now, bout to shower and then eat some teriyaki chicken and rice and stuff. Got RE Lower tomorrow (last week RE, before starting the pendulum wave for DE), probably going to be conventional deads or rack pulls....:yikes:

Had a solid PR for the bench today. I have never quite been able to push through the 225# barrier; until today. The lift was a bit of a grind, but it was clean! The tri's are definitely my sticking point right now, so this is the perfect opportunity to completely hammer them. Forced adaptation and ****. Went for the second rep and it wasn't trying to go anywhere, my spotter made it hard to push through, but I definitely only got 1 on my own (he didn't touch that friggin bar lol).

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good PR. 225 is always a big one, like a stepping stone

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Good PR. 225 is always a big one, like a stepping stone
Yeah, my mechanics were much more sound this time around. No early flaring, strong tuck.

Also, got a suppdate. Started visits again, my knee started bugging me again this week so I decided to start up again.

Obey46

Obey46

Awards
Didn't get a chance to do anything this weekend. Except sit on a desk, eat fast food, and strengthen my brain. Started listening to the audio book Mastery it's pretty good so far.

Slept too late on Sunday to get any sprints or sleds in. :sigh:

But today! got my workout on.

6MAY13 ME Upper

Pre: 3 Drive, 7 N.O. Uptake, 2 Uncut, 3g Mono
Intra: 1/2 gallon of BCAA + Gatorade

Warm-up: External Rotations, Over and Backs, Ext. Rot., Shoulder Dislocates, Lacrosse ball across pec minor and scapula adductors.

Bench: Work to 2RM (normally wouldn't do the same exercise 2 weeks in a row, but the workout partner didn't go last week so I just changed the rep range and hit it again)
45x5, 95x5, 135x2, 175x2, 205x2, 215x2, 225x1 (PR)

Dips: BWx18, +45x13

a1. T-Bar Rows: 25x12, 45x12, 70x12, 85x8, 115x6 (had to feel these out because I haven't done them in years lol)
a2. Face Pulls: 100x12, 120x10, 120x9x2, 140x9

b1. BB Shrugs: 185x13, 205x10, 205x14 (alt. grip, 7 each. Grip was smoked and I couldn't hold it for the last set)
b2. Rope Pushdown: 100x15, 120x13, 140x8

Notes: The pump on the first superset was intense! Might have hit a PR on the face pulls (rep PR), but I would have to check my log to be sure. Also, might have hit a rep PR on the Dips as well (but again, I would have to check). My Tri's were feeling awful (read: awesome) during the last set of the pushdowns. Wasn't able to get the rope today for face pulls so I used this awkward 'V' shaped bar and it actually worked out really well. Feeling like a boss right now, bout to shower and then eat some teriyaki chicken and rice and stuff. Got RE Lower tomorrow (last week RE, before starting the pendulum wave for DE), probably going to be conventional deads or rack pulls....:yikes:

Had a solid PR for the bench today. I have never quite been able to push through the 225# barrier; until today. The lift was a bit of a grind, but it was clean! The tri's are definitely my sticking point right now, so this is the perfect opportunity to completely hammer them. Forced adaptation and ****. Went for the second rep and it wasn't trying to go anywhere, my spotter made it hard to push through, but I definitely only got 1 on my own (he didn't touch that friggin bar lol).
Solid PR's today! Quite the appnut pwo ritual you have there! lol very similar to mine.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice work Jim. Solid session and nice benching. :D

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Got to the gym late today, but still got it done!

Hit the RE lower today, and it was AWFUL! Had to really push it to get done at a decent hour because of how stupid work was today.

RE Lower

Pre: 3 Drive, 2 Uncut, 3g Mono
Intra: Gallon jug of BCAA+ and Gatorade

Warm-up: Shortened because of time. Squat to stands, foam rolling, hip mobility drills

Deadlift: 45x7, 132x7(WU), 176x15, 198x15, 242x11 (shortened the reps because it was a full DL and not a squat variation)

Front Foot Elevated Split Squat: 1'x45#x8 (WU), 4"x88#x8, 4"x116x8x2 (per leg)

Good Mornings: 154x6, 176x6, 198x6, 242x6

Uneven Farmers Carries: 88#/70#x30ydsx3 (per arm)

http://youtu.be/8PHaocKSQq8

Notes: Energy was solid throughout the session. Rest intervals were short, intensity was high. Felt good for maybe an hour after the session, and then it all hit me at once (while I was ordering chinese). Now I'm so tired, I'm so worn out from that. Bout to pass out lol.

Rucksdaddy

Awards

Hit the RE lower today, and it was AWFUL! Had to really push it to get done at a decent hour because of how stupid work was today.

RE Lower

Warm-up: Shortened because of time. Squat to stands, foam rolling, hip mobility drills

Deadlift: 45x7, 132x7(WU), 176x15, 198x15, 242x11 (shortened the reps because it was a full DL and not a squat variation)

Notes: Energy was solid throughout the session. Rest intervals were short, intensity was high. Felt good for maybe an hour after the session, and then it all hit me at once (while I was ordering chinese). Now I'm so tired, I'm so worn out from that. Bout to pass out lol.
It seems like you are liking the Uncut. Nice.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sitting at 167.6 before breakfast.

Time to eat more food....

Obey46

Obey46

Awards

RE Lower

Great training day today! Haha Uncut tends to stick around at times.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah, the fatigue hit me like a ton of bricks though lol!

Went in today and got some RE upper work in. Didn't realize that I was sore until the blood started rushing into my chest lol.

9May13 RE Upper

Pre: 3 Drive, 7 Uptake, 2 Uncut
Intra: Gallon mix of Gatorade and MBCAA+

Warmup: Band Ext. Rot., Over and backs, Dislocates, Ext. Rot., BB Bench with Bar

DB Bench: 70x12, 70x10, 70x9, 70x7 (lol they kept getting heavier and heavier!)

a1. Hammer Grip Behind Neck Pulldown: 80x12, 100x8, 90x8, 90x10
a2. Seated Cable Rear Delt Row: 80x9x2, 80x8, 80x9 (The pump with this superset was literally painful. I had to stretch my bi's in between sets)

French Press: 60x8, 70x5, 70x4

Bradford Presses: 95x8, 105x2--95x4, 95x4--95x1

For those that haven't done Bradford Presses, I encourage you to try them. It will make you feel like a little girl if you use the right intensity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSXNin4nCbc

Notes: Pump was awesome, in a terrible way. It was literally painful, like physical and mental agony (mostly physical lol). Got some good work in today, total workout time was approximately 60 minutes.

Also, for those who haven't seen elsewhere, my car caught fire today. So I may have to change my name to "JimChevy" because the Buick is now totaled. The entire engine was engulfed in flames, so yeah... Buying a new vehicle tomorrow from a buddy. It's and '89 Chevy Silverado with a rebuilt engine, trans, and rear axle with about 45,000 on them. So yeah, my day was friggin' awesome.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dang sorry about the car troubles man! Solid workout session though...those bradford's are tough.

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Sorry about your Buick man. The constant tension with Bradford presses is brutal...I just called them "over and back" press.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Dang sorry about the car troubles man! Solid workout session though...those bradford's are tough.
The first set felt great, after that though.....

Dead lol.
Sorry about your Buick man. The constant tension with Bradford presses is brutal...I just called them "over and back" press.
yeah, they are awful (in an awesome way)

A far as the car goes, I guess that's what happens when GMs hit a certain age; they just self destruct. That way you have to buy a new one lol.

LiveToLift

LiveToLift

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm in mr. Buick!

Rucksdaddy

Awards
You drink a gallon of Gatorade during your workout?

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What's the weekend look like for you bro?
Hit ME lower yesterday, well update that when I get to the CPU. Normally, I would've done conditioning today. But I went to meet a friend at the beach, turns out they were all leaving when I showed up.

Tried calling him earlier today but his phone was dead and because he didn't have a call from me he assumed I wasn't coming and didn't tell me.

So 5 hours of driving and 70 dollars wasted.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Friday's ME Lower work:

Pre: 4 IGF2, 2 Uncut, 3 Drive
Intra: Gatorade + MBCAA+ mix

Warmup: Squat to stands, shoulder mobility work with band, BR hip flexor stretch

Front Squat: 95x3, 135x3, 185x3, 225x3, 275x1 (225 felt easy, thought I could do this for 3. It was slow moving so I called it at 1)

Weighted Lunges: 135x5 (per leg), 155x5, 165x5

Stiff Legged Rack Pulls: 185x20, 275x11

Notes: Was supposed to do some specific core work, but it was an early morning session (for me anyway) and me and the training partner were both pretty depleted after this. Didn't get anything done today (besides seeing Iron Man 3 :D ) so I will be doing mobility/conditioning work tomorrow. The plan is to implement some rowing (to offset my pressing in a 2:1 ratio), sled pulling/pushing, core, and posterior chain work. Nothing ridiculous, but enough to get the blood flowing and breathing heavy.

Also, it may be worth mentioning that 275x1 is probably a PR for the Front Squat (I can't say for certain, it has been a while since I've maxed out on Front Squat). :thumbsup:

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Solid front squat. I did some mobility and rowing yesterday so it is nice to see someone who follows a similar path as myself. ;)

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Good front squat man. Do you lay the bar across your Delts and cross armed? Or a clean grip?

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I always envy the people that have the wrists to hold the bar clean style.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Solid front squat. I did some mobility and rowing yesterday so it is nice to see someone who follows a similar path as myself. ;)
Quit copying me!

Good front squat man. Do you lay the bar across your Delts and cross armed? Or a clean grip?
Clean grip.
I always envy the people that have the wrists to hold the bar clean style.
I'm sure years of wear and tear will stop me eventually lol

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
'89 Silverado with a small block 350. Sitting on 3" lowering springs. Engine/transmission/rear rebuilt 50,000 miles ago.

ForumRunner_20130512_171906.png

ForumRunner_20130512_171914.png

ForumRunner_20130512_171926.png

ForumRunner_20130512_171938.png

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'd be all over that ride bubba!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Who goes to the gym on Sunday?!

<----- Apparently this guy does.

12MAY13 GPP/PreHab/Mobility

Pre: 2 Uncut, 3 Drive, 5 Uptake, 3g Mono
Intra: Same mix as always lol

WarmUp: Dynamic Track, Foam Roll lower body/lats, Band Pulldowns, Assisted Hip Openers, Band Assist Hammie Stretch, 2x30yd Bounds

KB Rows: 44#x10x3

Upright Sled Pulls: 90#(+sled)x60yds
Back Pedal Sled Pulls: 90#(+sled)x60yds (small steps, stay on heels. Really felt the hammies on this)

a1. Prone KB Switch: 18#x10x2
a2. KB "Suitcase" Carries: 97#x60ydsx2 (30yds per arm) Note: 1 Arm Farmer Carry with KB

Prowler Sprints: 135#(+sled)x30ydsx2 Note: Sprint down, had my partner take it back down the turf and then took it back. Rest was maybe 8-10 seconds between them. It was pretty terrible, moved it very quickly.

Notes: Good training session. Felt good afterwards, but shortly after felt like my blood sugar was low. Found some licorice strips at walmart and opened them up and ate some. Felt fine after having a couple (or 20). Hit up the barber for a haircut afterwards and then ate some chipotle.

Rucksdaddy

Awards
Who goes to the gym on Sunday?!

<----- Apparently this guy does.

12MAY13 GPP/PreHab/Mobility

Pre: 2 Uncut, 3 Drive, 5 Uptake, 3g Mono
Intra: Same mix as always lol

WarmUp: Dynamic Track, Foam Roll lower body/lats, Band Pulldowns, Assisted Hip Openers, Band Assist Hammie Stretch, 2x30yd Bounds

KB Rows: 44#x10x3

Upright Sled Pulls: 90#(+sled)x60yds
Back Pedal Sled Pulls: 90#(+sled)x60yds (small steps, stay on heels. Really felt the hammies on this)

a1. Prone KB Switch: 18#x10x2
a2. KB "Suitcase" Carries: 97#x60ydsx2 (30yds per arm) Note: 1 Arm Farmer Carry with KB

Prowler Sprints: 135#(+sled)x30ydsx2 Note: Sprint down, had my partner take it back down the turf and then took it back. Rest was maybe 8-10 seconds between them. It was pretty terrible, moved it very quickly.

Notes: Good training session. Felt good afterwards, but shortly after felt like my blood sugar was low. Found some licorice strips at walmart and opened them up and ate some. Felt fine after having a couple (or 20). Hit up the barber for a haircut afterwards and then ate some chipotle.
I'm there on Sundays at 6:45 a.m. You are in good company.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
13MAY13 ME Upper Body

Pre: 3 Drive, 7 Uptake, 2 Uncut, 5g Mono
Intra: SSDD

BB Floor Press: 45x5, 135x5, 155x5, 175x5, 195x4+1(assisted), 185x5 (circa max extra volume)

DB Incline Press: 50x12, 45x13

a1. Reverse Grip BB Row: 115x12, 135x12, 145x9, 155x10
a2. Bent Over Rear Delt Row: 20x10x3, 25x10

b1. Seated DB Power Clean: 30x10, 30x12, 35x12
b2. DB Close Grip Bench: 70x12, 70x10 (video), 75x14 (switched to hex, the Ivanko was sketchy lol)

Vid: http://youtu.be/abEmUeRrRow

Trying to fill out these XLs!
IMG_20130513_191604.jpg

Obey46

Obey46

Awards
Solid workouts! I'm usually at the gym on the weekends as well. My schedule has been off lately so the workouts change depending what's going on. I started doing CG DB presses, but use two instead.

Nooshefx

Nooshefx

Awards
  • Established
Just read through it all and found some new ideas in here. Thanks for sharing! Good luck on your goals!

Dewey99

Dewey99

Awards
Great work so far, Jim!

I have been following along, but not posting much. I tried the California presses (JW presses) for the first time last weekend and I really like them. I haven't been able to bench with the shoulder rehab, but I can do these. They really hit the triceps hard, so happy to say I have already gained something from your log. Don't want to give Ben credit; it will just go to his head!

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just read through it all and found some new ideas in here. Thanks for sharing! Good luck on your goals!
Thanks bud. Anything you wanna know, just ask.

Great work so far, Jim!

I have been following along, but not posting much. I tried the California presses (JW presses) for the first time last weekend and I really like them. I haven't been able to bench with the shoulder rehab, but I can do these. They really hit the triceps hard, so happy to say I have already gained something from your log. Don't want to give Ben credit; it will just go to his head!
I really enjoyed them, will probably hit them again this week.

Ben doesn't deserve credit! I found the video! :biglaugh:

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
First week of my 3 week Pendulum wave for DE. It went well, did a complex to warm up and went straight into the DE sets, the weight seemed to move faster as I got deeper into the exercise.

Pre: 3 Drive, 5 Uptake, 2 Uncut

WarmUp:
MB Keg Tosses: 30x6x2
Assisted Hip Open: x2 (per leg)x2
Box Jump: x4x2

Box Squats: 6x3@50%
176x3x6

Walking Lunges: 132x5(per leg), 154x5, 176x5

SSB Good Morning: 108x8, 152x5, 152x6, 174x6

KB Front Carry (Different carry position each set): 88x60ydsx3

For the walking lunges I kept a shorter stride to put more strain on the quadriceps. The lower dose of uptake really allowed me to feel my glutes activate more on the GMs because of the pump. The weights moved easily enough, the only rest we got on each exercise was enough to change the weight, so we were motoring. Never really found myself particularly out of breath, my breathing is easier while using Drive/Uncut so I notice that I don't have to wait as between sets.

Videos:

1st + last of the Box Squat:
http://youtu.be/Kq1Y3Cdkiys
http://youtu.be/GjDOLLaYvuw

SSB GM:
http://youtu.be/jemzKdrOf_0

Glutes are feeling good right now. Squats felt good enough, tried lifting my feet off on the 3+4 set, but it slowed me down and was awkward.

Dewey99

Dewey99

Awards
Killer workout yesterday. I bet you are sore today....

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Killer workout yesterday. I bet you are sore today....
Not terribly actually. I can't say for sure until I start running or something later today. But, I actually feel pretty good today.

I noticed last time I ran igf2 that my recovery time decreased, do that may have something to do with it.

Dewey99

Dewey99

Awards
Not terribly actually. I can't say for sure until I start running or something later today. But, I actually feel pretty good today.

I noticed last time I ran igf2 that my recovery time decreased, do that may have something to do with it.
Yeah, IGF-2 does help a lot with recovery. I am waiting for June 1st and I will start using IGF-2 or HGH-Up again.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Went to the field today and ran some receiver routes (sprints).

pre: 2 uncut, 5 uptake, 3 drive

Started with "X" drills (40yd)

3 total, 2 for time (10.38, 10.55) and learned that I need to work on my acceleration, and agility.

Then spent 30 minutes straight running slants, gos, curls, and posts.

Dewey99

Dewey99

Awards
Haven't used HGH-up, so I can't compare lol
HGH-Up and IGF-2 are actually very similar. HGH-Up seems to help a little better with recovery/sleep and IGF-2 more with performance/endurance.

Went to the field today and ran some receiver routes (sprints).

pre: 2 uncut, 5 uptake, 3 drive

Started with "X" drills (40yd)

3 total, 2 for time (10.38, 10.55) and learned that I need to work on my acceleration, and agility.

Then spent 30 minutes straight running slants, gos, curls, and posts.
That's an interesting workout. How do you like Uncut before cardio or HIIT like this? I'm a big fan of 2 caps since it doesn't really get my heart racing like most pwo's do if I take them before HIIT.