Is ok to take recomp20 on empty stomach?

john10960

Awards
Question is as title states.
Also wondering, ever since I started lifting, I always work out in morning without eating anything beforehand.
I’ve read back and forth that maybe this could be hindering progress. Is this true? Is it always better to eat somethjng before working out? If so would a protein drink suffice?

thanks!

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yes, it is fine to take Recomp20 on an empty stomach. I do that a lot of times myself.

As to your question, you're going to get a lot of different opinions on that.

Personally, when my primary goal is fat loss, training in the morning on an empty stomach is ideal.

However, if my primary goal is performance or building muscle, then I would have some protein and carbs about an hour prior to training. For me that would be either oatmeal and a protein shake or HBCD (carb source) and a protein shake.

I am not a morning person and don't have time to train in the morning anymore, but when trying to lose fat, I do do cardio sessions in the morning on an empty stomach, but do my weight training at night. But I did used to do weights in the morning on a empty stomach when my primary goal was fat loss at the time.

I hope that helps.

john10960

Awards
Thanks for the reply.

so if I train on an empty stomach I can still make gains yes? (Well I have been and I’ve made gains) but I could be making faster gains if I get carbs /protein before hand? (When not aiming for cut)
If so would a simple cliff bar suffice? I don’t like eating before I train, but if I could make faster gains I will do it

***edit: also is there a supplement snack out there that gives all necessities for pre workout calorie macros? I currently don’t have time to make small meals prior

Last edited:
sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I don't think that there is any reason to eat before you train if you feel better not eating before you train.

Some people feel like they can't perform to their maximum ability without having something beforehand, but others and it sounds like this include you, actually feel better when not eating before you train.

I think its much more important to focus on post workout nutrition.

From what you're saying, if I were you, I would continue to train without eating beforehand and then drink a shake post workout with 50 grams of whey protein isolate and either consume some complex carbs or personally I drink Clusterdextrin/Highly Branched Cyclic Dextrin after my workout because I normally don't feel like consuming carbs right after working out.

baldwanus

baldwanus

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I took it on an empty stomach back when I used it, never had any issues with it.

The 2nd part, for the vast majority of people it really just comes down to personal preference. I've had times where I would lift in the morning and hated having any food in my stomach during the workout or I'd feel sick, but currently working out late at night and I've usually had food within 2-3 hours pre. Can't say I ever noticed much of a difference in terms of progress though.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I took it on an empty stomach back when I used it, never had any issues with it.

The 2nd part, for the vast majority of people it really just comes down to personal preference. I've had times where I would lift in the morning and hated having any food in my stomach during the workout or I'd feel sick, but currently working out late at night and I've usually had food within 2-3 hours pre. Can't say I ever noticed much of a difference in terms of progress though.
You make a good point. I workout now at night and usually have had a shake within an hour or two of training but anytime I've ever worked out in the morning, its been on an empty stomach.

I actually couldn't imagine working out in the morning with food on my stomach. I think there's a good chance that would make me nauseous.

baldwanus

baldwanus

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
You make a good point. I workout now at night and usually have had a shake within an hour or two of training but anytime I've ever worked out in the morning, its been on an empty stomach.

I actually couldn't imagine working out in the morning with food on my stomach. I think there's a good chance that would make me nauseous.
Generally speaking, even when not working out I really don't like eating anywhere near when I wake up. I essentially do IF to a certain extent, I can easily go ~6 hours after waking up without really eating anything. At most it would just be a shake or something liquid haha.

But yet, now while I'm going to the gym around ~10-11pm, I could stuff my face a half hour before leaving and I'm fine.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You can take recomp 20 fasted like the others above said.

Also just wanted to echo that you don’t have to force yourself to eat before training if it isn’t easy for you, especially if you train early after waking. While theoretically it may be more beneficial as long as you get your nutrition in for the rest of the day after you should have most of it covered. You could look into something light like some EAAs/Whey (+faster carbs depending on that fits your diet) to drink right before/during, but it will depend on your type of training as well.

Good luck. 🙂

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
ive had no issues on empty stomach .. with food .. before bedtime .. anytime lol

john10960

Awards
Thanks for the replies.

SNS, you mentioned getting carbs after training. What is the reason for this? I just usually get in 40grams whey right after training. And make sure throughout the day I get sufficient protein intake through meals and supplemented whey.

The reasoning I’ve heard to eat before training is the body might not have enough glycogen to supply your workout so it might leech from muscle for energy. Is there any real credence to this?

thanks again

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thanks for the replies.

SNS, you mentioned getting carbs after training. What is the reason for this? I just usually get in 40grams whey right after training. And make sure throughout the day I get sufficient protein intake through meals and supplemented whey.

The reasoning I’ve heard to eat before training is the body might not have enough glycogen to supply your workout so it might leech from muscle for energy. Is there any real credence to this?

thanks again
The reason that I do carbs after my workout is that I train pretty hard and I take HBCD (carbs) with my protein to assist in recovery and replenishing glycogen. Protein is the most important part, but carbs are important for me personally.

Carb intake is personal dependent and goal dependent. There are also different types of carbs and I'm strict about the type of carbs that I use at certain timings.

In regard to your last part - that is what I meant about your goals. If your goal is to lose fat or stay as lean as possible, then its good to train in the morning on an empty stomach because you'll burn more fat that way. But if training for performance, you may not have adequate glycogen to burn so it may negatively impact your performance. BUT for many people, once they're adapted to morning training on an empty stomach, they won't be negatively impacted anyway.

john10960

Awards
Gotcha. Thanks

yeah my goal is to still build lean muscle whilst getting rid of my belly. I know it’s tough, but that’s my goal as of right now. I’ve had the belly too long, it’s gotta go. Hopefully recomp20 can assist me with this.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Gotcha. Thanks

yeah my goal is to still build lean muscle whilst getting rid of my belly. I know it’s tough, but that’s my goal as of right now. I’ve had the belly too long, it’s gotta go. Hopefully recomp20 can assist me with this.
I think you'll be very pleased with Recomp20 for that.

And for that goal, I think training in the morning on an empty stomach is perfect.

I wish that I had time in the mornings to do it myself bc I was a lot leaner when I did.

john10960

Awards
Cool.

Also how important is it to space out recomp 20 dosing. Bottle says 6-8 hours apart for 2nd dose. For time reasons I took my second dose only 1.5 hours later today.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Cool.

Also how important is it to space out recomp 20 dosing. Bottle says 6-8 hours apart for 2nd dose. For time reasons I took my second dose only 1.5 hours later today.
It's better to take it closer together than to miss a dose.

The reason for spacing dosages out is to keep the ingredients in your system.

For me, I train at night so I take one dose in the morning and then one dose about 30 minutes prior to working out.

In your case, you could take a dose prior to working out and then a dose later in the day if convenient.