If using a heavy compound program does it make sense to train beyond 1hr?

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I read, (I know dangerous to do), that heavy lifting beyond x minutes, 45-60, is counterproductive due to increasing estradiol/cortisol production. In lay terms., whacks the hormones leading to no gains and a longer recovery time than otherwise.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Well lucky for me I'm limited to one hour. :)

I can train with enough sets / reps to get a solid routine in under an hour. Resting 30-60 seconds between sets.

If you have to be in the gym longer. Talk less. Lift more.

I'm focused like a laser beam. All business.

Edit. Autocorrect sukcs. :D

DozerDean

DozerDean

Awards
I've heard it my whole life but don't think that its true. I belive we can increase our work capacity well beyond an hour and still have enough gas in the tank to keep our bodies from going catabolic. Just look at the big name crossfit guys. (Here come the flames!)

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I've heard it my whole life but don't think that its true. I belive we can increase our work capacity well beyond an hour and still have enough gas in the tank to keep our bodies from going catabolic. Just look at the big name crossfit guys. (Here come the flames!)
Lmao

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Id suggest intraworkout carbs and bcaas (or just leucine works) for marathon sessions. But, the best gains ive experienced was doing a program composed solely of barbell compound movements and I was in the gym for 2-3 hours at a time getting through those ass kicking sessions.

DozerDean

DozerDean

Awards
Id suggest intraworkout carbs and bcaas (or just leucine works) for marathon sessions. But, the best gains ive experienced was doing a program composed solely of barbell compound movements and I was in the gym for 2-3 hours at a time getting through those ass kicking sessions.
I bet you had a nice classic physique with that program too. Sometimes the old ways are the best!

this is a turtle. My new AM app has turtles. Effffffyeah!

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Don't get me wrong. I would love to spend 2 hours in the gym like I used to.

One day.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Don't get me wrong. I would love to spend 2 hours in the gym like I used to.

One day.
And that's exactly why I stopped training that way . But, you could always just do less exercises (i was doing 5) and the cut 30-45 mins out.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I bet you had a nice classic physique with that program too. Sometimes the old ways are the best!

this is a turtle. My new AM app has turtles. Effffffyeah!
I definitely agree that the old ways are the best. I like to think in terms of "training efficiency" and you get the most bang for your buck with a barbell on your back or in your hands.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
And that's exactly why I stopped training that way . But, you could always just do less exercises (i was doing 5) and the cut 30-45 mins out.
That's what aim doing alright. More compound more sets. Even adding creative supersets with opposing groups.

Can't cheat my body but the clock hasn't caught me yet. 45-60 minutes. Cardio built in!

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Used to lift MWF and alt Sat or Sun. Now M-F and also spinning every day before or after weights. That is about 45min of intense spin + 45min of heavy weights. Need to do this as GF is in for about 2hrs for zumba and dance classes.

Really feel the hit of consecutive 5 day double workouts. Fortunately, recovering from an injury so heavy weights not all that heavy in this phase.

I sorta solved my issue yesterday evening by downing a protein drink after the first workout to fortify for the second one.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Really just comes down to the person as to what works best. This is why there are so many training programs out there and the bodybuilding greats are testament to this. Try comparing Arnold to Serge. Totally different approaches to training which both clearly worked. For me the right recipe is high volume short training sessions. 30-40 sets per muscle group, 25-30 second rest period or time it takes to strip weight on drop sets. 12 rep range. (medium weights 20 rm max approx) 1 muscle group ED, 7 days a week. Always well under an hour. Basically, chase the pump each workout

Bodybeast

Awards
  • Established
Whenever i had to be at the gym for a long period of time (even just doing weights then cardio) i ALWAYS brought a protein shake and a banana to eat after lifting so i dont feel dead after doing cardio

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Let's start with this: the whole 1 hour and cortisol spike is total and absolute bull****. You WANT a cortisol spike from training.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I thought we wanted a T-spike.
A test spike from training is inconsequential as it's a hormone that needs chronic elevation for effects. Cortisol, on the other hand, has acute effects when there's a spike. Cortisol is a hormone from metabolic damage, which is exactly what you want from training. No damage doesn't give the body a stimulus for adaptation.

DozerDean

DozerDean

Awards
Whenever i had to be at the gym for a long period of time (even just doing weights then cardio) i ALWAYS brought a protein shake and a banana to eat after lifting so i dont feel dead after doing cardio
Mmm love my pwo nanner!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Nothing wrong with long workouts. I could be in and out in 20 min or 2hrs depending how i feel that day. I think all the 1hr max and hormone changes is all bull**** when it comes to gains. Some1 show me a world champ in any sport that only trains 3-5 hours a week and ill show you a liar.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nothing wrong with long workouts. I could be in and out in 20 min or 2hrs depending how i feel that day. I think all the 1hr max and hormone changes is all bull**** when it comes to gains. Some1 show me a world champ in any sport that only trains 3-5 hours a week and ill show you a liar.
This 100%.

And another thing to consider: if a lifter is taking steroids, what's a little extra cortisol/estradiol anyway?? I've never seen a guy (natty or not) eclipse the 1 hr mark in training and suddenly turn into a soft weak pile of sh*t.