I read where the FDA in 2020 sent a warning letter regarding NAC being a drug to a supplement manuf. NAC = N-Acetyl-Cysteine

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Has any further action been taken to control NAC? and recently saw this:
“FDA has concluded that NAC products are excluded from the dietary supplement definition under section 201(ff)(3)(B)(i) of the Act [21 U.S.C. § 321(ff)(3)(B)(i)].Jun 18, 2021

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Pretty sure I read somewhere that nac or tudca is about to be officially banned. I don’t know which one. Pretty sure it’s nac

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer

hyperCat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I just stocked up on NAC today because it’s probably gonna go away. Love this country, but f$ck the FDA.

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I just stocked up on NAC today because it’s probably gonna go away. Love this country, but f$ck the FDA.
No need to stock up lol nac will still be made just like every illegal steroids.. might be more expensive tho so in that sense it might be good to stock up

hyperCat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
No need to stock up lol nac will still be made just like every illegal steroids.. might be more expensive tho so in that sense it might be good to stock up
Yep, spent $50 on 5 bottles. Wouldn’t be surprised if that’s doubled by this time next year.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Every grocery store I hit, still has plenty of it…(at least right now)

My recent ‘find’ of an all-in-one on cycle, was reformulated to not include it

Anabaholic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I wonder if NAC will be on research chem sites soon. But yeah, that's the FDA, if it works, it's banned.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Regardless of personal opinions of the FDA the fact that NAC was patented and sold as a prescription drug DECADES prior to the passing of the DSHEA of 1994 makes this a pretty clear-cut case from what I can tell. Do I think we should have to get a permission slip from another human being to obtain this compound for personal use? F**k no, but I feel that way about everything lol. Going by the DSHEA, as far as I can tell, this should never have been a supplement but I may be misinterpreting.

I think a strong case could be made for this being allowed as an OTC drug and perhaps we could see that one day. I know you could not patent it but 99% of OTC drugs are off-patent and clearly long-term safety data would not be hard to produce. But I admit I have no idea what this would actually entail but I would think with enough demand one of these OTC drug makers could make some money. Now if you had to start from square one with trials maybe not. The fact that you don't need a script for the drug most responsible for liver failure, APAP, but would need one for the "antidote" shows that awesome government logic.................and people want them in charge of more things in our lives:unsure::rolleyes:(n):poop:

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So worst-case scenario they pull NAC.

Perhaps we simply switch to using L-cystine:
Due to the ability of thiols to undergo redox reactions, cysteine and cysteinyl residues have antioxidant properties. Its antioxidant properties are typically expressed in the tripeptide glutathione, which occurs in humans and other organisms. The systemic availability of oral glutathione (GSH) is negligible; so it must be biosynthesized from its constituent amino acids, cysteine, glycine, and glutamic acid. While glutamic acid is usually sufficient because amino acid nitrogen is recycled through glutamate as an intermediary, dietary cysteine and glycine supplementation can improve synthesis of glutathione.[13]

Yes from what I can find NAC is better at this vs l-cystine but perhaps we still have an option if we adjust dosing to overcome the issues with oxidation (and dimerization).

For those more in the know, can l-cystine be bonded to something else? I know ALRI used to make BCAA malates, I think it was their original Unchained???

Just spitballing possible ideas here.

Just switch to liposomal glutathione? Granted the price on this is high if I stick to brands I trust and avoid those sketchy amazon brands that for some reason always have three bottles in their picture, you guys/gals know the one's I'm talking about. lol

Alpha Lipoic Acid has been shown to increase GSH pretty reliably from some simple searching and is very inexpensive.

Good ole milk thistle:

"Silymarin enhances hepatic glutathione generation by elevating cysteine availability and inducing cysteine synthesis while inhibiting its catabolism to taurine. "

TommyTuffGuy

TommyTuffGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
NAC eradicates COVID. There's your answer.

Anti-Virus Functions of NAC
RNA viruses need active NF-κB pathway support within host cells in order to replicate. For human coronaviruses (HCoV-229E), suppression of NF-κB significantly reduced the replication rate.22 Therefore, drugs that inhibit NF-κB activation could potentially reduce viral replication.

NAC has been demonstrated to inhibit NF-κB, as well as the replication of human influenza viruses (H5N1, Vietnam/VN1203 strain) in human lung epithelial cells in a dose dependent manner (5 to 15 mM) (Figure 2). NAC also reduced the production of pro-inflammatory cytokines (IL-8, CXCL10, CCL5 and IL-6), thus reducing chemotactic migration of monocytes.23 In addition, NAC has also been showed to inhibit replication of other viruses, such as human immunodeficiency virus (HIV)24 and respiratory syncytial virus (RSV).25 This means that, theoretically, NAC has the potential to inhibit SARS-Cov-2 as well because of its ability to negatively regulate NF-κB.

They're pulling Ivermectin everywhere and making it extremely hard to find HCQ.

Up next is Zinc, D3 and Garlic, name it.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Let me know when it happens, which will be never.

BCseacow83

BCseacow83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

From the article: "seven warning letters sent to companies making hangover treatment claims."

This is a great example of shady fly by night companies out to make a quick buck screwing up the game for the rest of the industry.