I have no idea what I'm doing.. Please help

spidyalex54

Awards
Hello all. You may get members like me who know very little and I'm sorry if that's annoying but I'm really lost. This forum seemed like a really good place to start asking questions so I'd like to ask for anyone's wisdom.

Starting off, I'm 18, 6' 180 lbs. Kind of a bit of a belly and definite love handles. Arms are normal(?) in my opinion.

So I started working out and lately I have been focusing on biceps and chest, but I have absolutely no regimen and it sucks because I feel like a fool wandering around without a plan. I start out with 20 minutes on the bike trying to get my heart rate up, yesterday I burned 130 cals on that and then went over to bench. I didn't have anyone with me so I just did bar for around 25-30 reps until it really hurt. I then did standing dumbell curls, 3x15 and did pulldowns 3x15. Then I took 10lb weights and did the thing where you look stretch your arms out to your sides, lifting them. (almost like flapping your wings?)
Then I went back to bench with 25lbs and dropped the weight off the one side on the first time as I was moving it, then I did a set of 9 but failed and someone had to come help me again.. It was highly embarrassing but the guy who helped me was super nice and made sure I didn't feel so stupid, said it happens all the time..

I finished with some close grip pushups, crunches, leg lifts and 30 second planks. I do not take any supplements right now as I do not know what to take exactly to do what I want. I drink protein immediately (PES) after I am done working out.

So if you made it this far.. I am desperate. Any advice would help at all. Especially on the supplement part.

What I want out of this is just to get a more defined chest, arms, and maybe someday abs, but who doesn't want all that I guess?

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
hey brother, i'd love to show you an article i send to all of my clients when they're new to weight training. this article imo is great, basically tells yu what to focus on, what to look out for and what to strive for

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/smart_from_the_start

another good series of articles on training specifically: http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance/dawg_school_basic_training_for_beginners

i would recommend just doing a 3 day split like this:

Upper Body
Lower Body
Off
Then repeat, unless you're still sore, then take additional rest. You're going to want to focus on the bigger lift and compound movements, so I would also recommend watching videos on YouTube for proper form instruction and practicing, or hiring a trainer so you don't get hurt

as for supplements, i wouldn't take anything at this point until you hit sticking points. the only thing i would look into possibly getting is maybe a pre workout (if you need a kick in the butt to get going) and regular bulk creatine monohydrate I'd recommend Myokem's Nitramine as it gets you super focused, and there's not a lot of caffeine so you don't have to experience negative sides in that regard. for creatine, SNS sells bulk Creatine Monohydrate for super cheap.

http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/myokem/nitramine-30-servings.html

http://www.nutraplanet.com/product/serious-nutrition-solutions/creatine-monohydrate-1200-grams.html

Since you're new to it all too, enjoy the first year, you're going to make ridiculous progress off your "noobie" gains! if you have any q's feel free to Pm bro

spidyalex54

Awards
Big big thank you brother! Right now like I said I drink protein afterwards and that's about it. I'm trying to drink a lot more water daily. Would you mind elaborating on "sticking points"? Also, please excuse my ignorance, but I've been told that creatine just puts more water in your muscles or something along those lines? Basically makes you look bigger than you actually are? Just something I heard.

Sorry not going to be taking any pre-workout. I don't need anything like that in my opinion, plus two people who live in my area have went into cardiac arrest with some of that stuff. I know they probably were not using it correctly but I'd rather just not use it.

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
Big big thank you brother! Right now like I said I drink protein afterwards and that's about it. I'm trying to drink a lot more water daily. Would you mind elaborating on "sticking points"? Also, please excuse my ignorance, but I've been told that creatine just puts more water in your muscles or something along those lines? Basically makes you look bigger than you actually are? Just something I heard.

Sorry not going to be taking any pre-workout. I don't need anything like that in my opinion, plus two people who live in my area have went into cardiac arrest with some of that stuff. I know they probably were not using it correctly but I'd rather just not use it.
Sticking points in the sense of a stall of weight gain, strength etc. Sometimes when someone gets stuck on a lift they'll try a supplement to help them break past it. Something like magnitropin, anabeta elite, or XGels

Creatine does pull water into your muscles but it doesn't just make you look bigger. Helps many with performance in the gy . IT'S the most tested, studied, supplement out there and it works.

spidyalex54

Awards
Sticking points in the sense of a stall of weight gain, strength etc. Sometimes when someone gets stuck on a lift they'll try a supplement to help them break past it. Something like magnitropin, anabeta elite, or XGels

Creatine does pull water into your muscles but it doesn't just make you look bigger. Helps many with performance in the gy . IT'S the most tested, studied, supplement out there and it works.
Thanks alot man! So go ahead and start taking creatine when I can? Or still wait for that as well?

Swolbraham

Banned
Awards
I don't see any issue in adding creatine now. Just 5g at any point during the day! I prefer post workout with oodles of food

NattyForLife

NattyForLife

Awards
Thanks alot man! So go ahead and start taking creatine when I can? Or still wait for that as well?
Just go ahead and start taking creatine monohydrate. Take 5g a day whenever it is convenient for you. I take mine intra or postworkout, but thats just me.

spidyalex54

Awards
Just go ahead and start taking creatine monohydrate. Take 5g a day whenever it is convenient for you. I take mine intra or postworkout, but thats just me.
You think before workout is fine? Thanks a TON guys!!

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
You think before workout is fine? Thanks a TON guys!!
anytime is fine. It's not something that has much of an acute effect. It's a total cumulative effect as it builds in your system.

Another good way to get started is to check out the trainers at bb. Com. They have full blown programs with sample videos and diets for every level of knowledge.

spidyalex54

Awards
Such a supportive community!! THANK YOU GUYS! Seriously, kinda going overboard with the caps and stuff but I'm just excited to go on this journey. I've been getting into a routine and that excites me. Gotta keep working! Again, thanks.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Such a supportive community!! THANK YOU GUYS! Seriously, kinda going overboard with the caps and stuff but I'm just excited to go on this journey. I've been getting into a routine and that excites me. Gotta keep working! Again, thanks.
if you think you're excited now just wait til the results start. It's an addiction.