I feel this needs to be posted - Me, My Brain, and ALCAR

SSD77

Awards
Little late on this thread but anyways, I love this stuff and have been taking it daily at 1000 mg in the am. I'm losing hair pretty quick as is but Ive noticed alcar is causing it to shed at a rapid rate. Should I lower it 500mg ? or is this a common affect in those prone to mpb?

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Little late on this thread but anyways, I love this stuff and have been taking it daily at 1000 mg in the am. I'm losing hair pretty quick as is but Ive noticed alcar is causing it to shed at a rapid rate. Should I lower it 500mg ? or is this a common affect in those prone to mpb?
At high doses ALCAR can cause premature hair loss or shorten hair growth cycles because it upregulates the p75 nerve growth factor.

Try to spread the doses out through the day and see of that helps at all.

SSD77

Awards
At high doses ALCAR can cause premature hair loss or shorten hair growth cycles because it upregulates the p75 nerve growth factor.

Try to spread the doses out through the day and see of that helps at all.
thank you good sir. i'll prob just do the 500mg in the am and maaaaybe one more mid day

Urban Monk

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Do all carnitines have this effect on hair loss?

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do all carnitines have this effect on hair loss?
I believe only ALCAR and PLCAR can have effect on hair loss. If you are worried you can always add some biotin.

Did a little more reading on hair loss and carnitine salts. ALCAR has a higher chance of leading to hair loss while PLCAR may have an effect it is slim to none I would predict.

If Coop comes in here he will let you know more answers exactly.

SSD77

Awards
I believe only ALCAR and PLCAR can have effect on hair loss. If you are worried you can always add some biotin.

Did a little more reading on hair loss and carnitine salts. ALCAR has a higher chance of leading to hair loss while PLCAR may have an effect it is slim to none I would predict.

If Coop comes in here he will let you know more answers exactly.
Are the benefits similar between the two? If so I may switch over to plcar. Also how is Alpha GPC in relation to alcar. Basically looking for anything to sub Alcar.

dsohei

Awards
Are the benefits similar between the two? If so I may switch over to plcar. Also how is Alpha GPC in relation to alcar. Basically looking for anything to sub Alcar.
why are you looking to sub alcar? it is very safe.
you can stack 2-4g of alcar with lclt, plcar, gplc, whatever other carnitines you want. it's one of the safest supplements even at high doses i've ever tried. high reward, very low risk.

alpha gpc is great but very expensive, cdp-choline is next best, about half as expensive, still works well. but choline from duck eggs, pastured hens, or even cheap choline bitartrate is fine.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Because he is losing hair due to it. With so many other products as good or better than alcar (IMO), it would be silly to continue running it with that side.

steam

steam

Awards
  • Established
ok brb taking alcar to maintain mental acquity before drinking so i can not get drunk and forget my troubles, which then defeats purpose of drinking...

:sadpanda:

SSD77

Awards
Exactly, I LOVE Alcar but I cannot afford to be losing this much hair with a history of mpb.

dallasboy22

dallasboy22

Awards
  • Established
I had no idea ALCAR caused shedding. Is this common?

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

SSD77

Awards
I had no idea ALCAR caused shedding. Is this common?

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
I'm not positive but I believe if you have a family history it MAY speed up hair loss. I wouldnt say it was to a significant degree but I do not have much hair to begin with and really cant afford to take anything that can speed up hairloss.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Meh, if you have the genetics just embrace the inevitable.

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How about taking Alcar, LcLt during cycle? ex: Sd? Ive been taking Alcar 500mg morning and 1500 pre workout and sometimes the whole 2000mg pre workout. Ive been taking my Lclt away from alcar (idk why) but im taking 2000mg spread out before meals. Should i add it to my alcar pre workout?

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How about taking Alcar, LcLt during cycle? ex: Sd? Ive been taking Alcar 500mg morning and 1500 pre workout and sometimes the whole 2000mg pre workout. Ive been taking my Lclt away from alcar (idk why) but im taking 2000mg spread out before meals. Should i add it to my alcar pre workout?
If you're using both ALCAR and LCLT, I would go 2 grams ALCAR in the morning and then 2 grams LCLT pre workout.

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you're using both ALCAR and LCLT, I would go 2 grams ALCAR in the morning and then 2 grams LCLT pre workout.
Ok cool. Any benefits on taking both? Or should I just take one and save the other? Also from my understanding LCLT helps absorb sd more?

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Ok cool. Any benefits on taking both? Or should I just take one and save the other? Also from my understanding LCLT helps absorb sd more?
Both ALCAR and LCLT have their own specific benefits, so taking both is very beneficial. And as far as absorption from LCLT and SD, yes it will help with absorption and make it more potent by increasing the androgen receptors in the body.

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Both ALCAR and LCLT have their own specific benefits, so taking both is very beneficial. And as far as absorption from LCLT and SD, yes it will help with absorption and make it more potent by increasing the androgen receptors in the body.
Excellent. Ty kind sir.

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
For those talking about ALCAR and hair loss, what are you defining a high dose as?

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I have never experienced hair loss from ALCAR. Is it possible? Yes. But there are a hundred genetic and environmental factors to assess first.

Clemenza

Awards
  • Established
Exactly, I LOVE Alcar but I cannot afford to be losing this much hair with a history of mpb.
Ive actually seen data showing alcar can slow down certain forms of hair loss

breezy11

breezy11

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
rhino67jg

rhino67jg

Awards
Combined 1 scoop of alcar with 2 scoops of craze today, 1 hour before workout. 2 scoops of hemavol, one half hour before workout. 2 scoops compete during workout. Felt very focused & alert. More so than just taking craze, hemavol & compete. Only second day using alcar & I feel much more clear headed & alert.

ryank

Awards
Have you had luck with Biotin? I like ALCAR, but I do notice a bit more shedding with 1-1.5g a day range. I am definitely genetically predisposed to MPB, but I would like to keep the hair loss to a minimum.

ryank

Awards
I still drink occasionally, and when I drink, it's usually quite a bit. During the following days, or even the entire following week, I feel foggier. ALCAR seems to reverse these effects if taken at 2g prior to drinking as I have. This makes sense scientifically as well, as ALCAR is demonstrated to help prevent alcohol-induced neurodegeneration.
I tried 2g before drinking and did notice not being foggy the next day.

What else do you think would be good to supplement that might get washed out of your body after a couple days of binge drinking?

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Have you had luck with Biotin? I like ALCAR, but I do notice a bit more shedding with 1-1.5g a day range. I am definitely genetically predisposed to MPB, but I would like to keep the hair loss to a minimum.
I've never had to use biotin supplement wise. I've read that it can help with shedding to a certain extent though. I would try to add the biotin and see if it helps any. Hope it does help with the shedding :)

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I tried 2g before drinking and did notice not being foggy the next day.

What else do you think would be good to supplement that might get washed out of your body after a couple days of binge drinking?
The reason ALCAR works isn't because it's an essential nutrient that gets "washed out," but let's not focus on the details. Pyritinol would be very effective for treating hangovers

SSD77

Awards
I have never experienced hair loss from ALCAR. Is it possible? Yes. But there are a hundred genetic and environmental factors to assess first.
Exactly. I'm not saying Alcar is the sole reason for my hair loss, but if it is slightly speeding it up I may have to find something to replace it with.

Bigcountry08

Bigcountry08

Awards
  • Established
I just bought 100g ALCAR and 30g Sulbutiamine what would be an effective dose to start out with. I have ADD or AD/HD ( not really sure was diagnosed when I was really young and mom never did anything about it) and sometimes it's really hard for me to focus to do stuff and can get very exhaustive. I love bodybuilding but most of the time only make it to the gym 3 or 4 days out of my 5 day routine because of this. Also are there any other inexpensive products I could add to this stack to help me stay focused. Thanks in advance.

bakerwil

Banned
Awards
Coop, what dosage or Na-R-Ala do you recommend and is the NP Bulk a good option?

domore

Awards
Coop, what dosage or Na-R-Ala do you recommend and is the NP Bulk a good option?
Coop is probably studying, so I'll give you a couple answers.

If you are using Na-R-Ala as a general antioxidant to run concurrently with ALCAR, a lower dose can suffice (~150mg).

If you are using it as a GDA (in addition to above), a dose of 300mg about 20 minutes before a meal will do.

NP bulk is a perfect choice - Geronova licensed.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Coop is probably studying, so I'll give you a couple answers.

If you are using Na-R-Ala as a general antioxidant to run concurrently with ALCAR, a lower dose can suffice (~150mg).

If you are using it as a GDA (in addition to above), a dose of 300mg about 20 minutes before a meal will do.

NP bulk is a perfect choice - Geronova licensed.
When isn't he haha. 300mg Na-R-ALA + 500-750mg Agmatine is a nice homemade GDA. Running it now along with 500mg ALCAR.

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
I do try my best to be a student of life :D

I agree with everything the 2 above posters said. Wise men.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

bakerwil

Banned
Awards
Does this sound solid, convenient and cost effective?
30 minutes prior to main daily carb meal (and out of convenience)
300mg Na-R-ALA + 500-750mg Agmatine + 500-1000mg ALCAR + 500mg choline citrate

For the rest of the day, I would not need anymore Na-R-ALA
Add a second serving of ALCAR with Choline along with modern BCAA's (empty stomach)
Workout days preworkout: add a second serving of Agmatine (with Cit Mal) and modern BCAA's

Thanks for your help!

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Does this sound solid, convenient and cost effective?
30 minutes prior to main daily carb meal (and out of convenience)
300mg Na-R-ALA + 500-750mg Agmatine + 500-1000mg ALCAR + 500mg choline citrate

For the rest of the day, I would not need anymore Na-R-ALA
Add a second serving of ALCAR with Choline along with modern BCAA's (empty stomach)
Workout days preworkout: add a second serving of Agmatine (with Cit Mal) and modern BCAA's

Thanks for your help!
I like your set up on everything. However if you wanted, you could add another dose of NA-R-ALA + Agmatine + ALCAR pre-meal later in the day.

What pre-workout are you using? On your wokout days preworkout, it would be beneficial to add ALCAR + Choline Citrate if your preworkout doesn't already contain it.

bakerwil

Banned
Awards
I like your set up on everything. However if you wanted, you could add another dose of NA-R-ALA + Agmatine + ALCAR pre-meal later in the day.

What pre-workout are you using? On your wokout days preworkout, it would be beneficial to add ALCAR + Choline Citrate if your preworkout doesn't already contain it.
Thanks for the advice!
Pre-workout, for now, is straight up Cit Mal (about 10mg), Agmatine and BCA's. However, I will add ALCAR and Choline to the mix!
Very exciting. Thank

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thanks for the advice!
Pre-workout, for now, is straight up Cit Mal (about 10mg), Agmatine and BCA's. However, I will add ALCAR and Choline to the mix!
Very exciting. Thank
For CM, you mean 10 grams right? That will be a nice homemade preworkout with all of that mixed together.