Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
for some reason I am plenty excited about this new series. i have always thought there was more to the story than what history books told us.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It looks interesting, but the History channel can be hit or miss depending on if they actually uncover anything or just spread out a lot of nothing across several episodes.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
It looks interesting, but the History channel can be hit or miss depending on if they actually uncover anything or just spread out a lot of nothing across several episodes.
yeah, I have been burned by the history channel before...BUT I have to admit I am really intrigued by this one, I am a sucker for outside the box thinking.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You might like this new fictional series. The Man in the High Castle (kind of a film noir style done as a 'what if' the Nazis won WWII).

[video=youtube;K3loUuH769w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3loUuH769w[/video]

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
You might like this new fictional series. The Man in the High Castle (kind of a film noir style done as a 'what if' the Nazis won WWII).

[video=youtube;K3loUuH769w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3loUuH769w[/video]
interesting...I read the book and watched the movie 'FATHERLAND'....HOPEFULLY the new series hunting hitler gives facts and proof of a different version of what happened to hitler....It is a well known fact that many Nazi's were living in south America after WW2.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Central & South America. Even America. We took some of their scientists and put em to work here.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Central & South America. Even America. We took some of their scientists and put em to work here.
werner von braun was head of the propulsion lab that put man on the moon...he hand picked over a hundred Nazi's to help assist him. henry ford was a big hitler fanboy, it is not THAT unreasonable to think that American industrialist's along with the government played a role in a hitler death hoax, AT LEAST NOT TO ME... I am very excited to see what they come up with!!!!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Anything WW2 I will watch. For some reason I am fascinated by it.
WW2 AND CIVIL WAR!!!

HERE is a tidbit I saw on preview-they exhumed hitlers remains and the dna recovered was female....this totally got my attention, I need more!!!!

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I posted the wrong/shorter trailer, here's the longer one. This series is also produced by Ridley Scott, I don't pass up anything he makes.

[video=youtube;yIspa1QgT-0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIspa1QgT-0[/video]

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I posted the wrong/shorter trailer, here's the longer one. This series is also produced by Ridley Scott, I don't pass up anything he makes.

[video=youtube;yIspa1QgT-0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIspa1QgT-0[/video]
looks interesting for sure....would be better though with humphrey bogart and Katherine Hepburn, lol.

Otheridstaken

Otheridstaken

Awards
Apocalypse: The second world war is a very well done series. Real footage.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
for some reason I am plenty excited about this new series. i have always thought there was more to the story than what history books told us.
I will give it a watch but there really is no mystery about what happened to AH. He was not the type to try and escape as suicide with the Nazi State collapsing around him would be appropriately Wagnerian and appeal to his psyche. Also, physically and emotionally he was a wreck and trying to escape a Red Army surrounded Berlin would have been difficult for a young able bodied male.

I do not think any Germans in the Bunker escaped Berlin. Either dead-by various means or captured by the Soviets.

The Germans who escaped to Switzerland, Spain or South America were outside of Berlin when it was enveloped.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I will give it a watch but there really is no mystery about what happened to AH. He was not the type to try and escape as suicide with the Nazi State collapsing around him would be appropriately Wagnerian and appeal to his psyche. Also, physically and emotionally he was a wreck and trying to escape a Red Army surrounded Berlin would have been difficult for a young able bodied male.

I do not think any Germans in the Bunker escaped Berlin. Either dead-by various means or captured by the Soviets.

The Germans who escaped to Switzerland, Spain or South America were outside of Berlin when it was enveloped.
I don't think hitler was of right mind for a few years before the bunker....it would not surprise me if Nazi's smuggled him out even without his ok to prop him up as a figurehead. if I remember right hitler was also a addict, it would have been easy to drug him and smuggle him out well before the reds occupied berlin....of course this is just conjecture, but I will be very interested to see what they come up with!!!

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Curious, has there ever been a documentary that contained in-depth interviews with ex-nazi's (vets) in modern times?

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
World at War immediately comes to mind but they are not in-depth. Perhaps a few minutes per interviewee although they may occur a few occasions within an episode segment.

There were lengthy interviews in Shoah but they focused on The Holocaust and operations of the camps and administration.

The ones we see the last few decades on History or Ex-Military Channel, like Great Tank Battles, are junior officer or EMs. Or like the recent five part episode on Auschwitz. That one is available on Youtube. They tend to be narrowly focused for the title of series/segment as in Battles of the Atlantic where a number of submariner personnel are interviewed.

The documentaries which deal with life in the Third Reich are recent ones and done by having modern actors voice over letters, diaries,interrogation transcripts. I cannot think of any which deal when many were alive 1960s-1980s and documentaries were being made.

I am a WW2 addict and so read and watch docus a great deal.

Now if you want a few books on the topic...I can provide a few.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Now if you want a few books on the topic...I can provide a few.
I would definitely be interested in some books that give first-person accounts of the German soldiers, especially those involved with the Holocaust camps. It's difficult to capture, but I'm curious about anything that gives a glimpse into how somebody can go from a normal life to that during times of war.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I would definitely be interested in some books that give first-person accounts of the German soldiers, especially those involved with the Holocaust camps. It's difficult to capture, but I'm curious about anything that gives a glimpse into how somebody can go from a normal life to that during times of war.
peer pressure!!! propaganda!!! fear tactics!!! survival-self preservation!!!

look what a year in Afghanistan can do to our soldiers, living in Nazi Germany would have been insane!!!

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
peer pressure!!! propaganda!!! fear tactics!!! survival-self preservation!!!

look what a year in Afghanistan can do to our soldiers, living in Nazi Germany would have been insane!!!
Oh absolutely. It was such a crazy combination of factors for both soldiers and civilians.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Oh absolutely. It was such a crazy combination of factors for both soldiers and civilians.
the Nazi's took over in 33, in the 12 years before 45 you would have had a whole generation indoctrinated in propaganda. the older folks who knew it was wrong would have most likely been very fearful to speak out against it.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The classic top end view is Inside the Third Reich by Albert Speer. The one dealing with lower level ones regarding the Holocaust is Hitler's Willing Executioners: Ordinary Germans and the Holocaust by Daniel Goldhagen. Another near classic is Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland by Christopher Browning

A view of how a German town went from democratic to Nazi in a few months is The Nazi Seizure of Power: The Experience of a Single German Town, 1922-1945 by William Allen. Ties in well with Richard Evans The Coming of the Third Reich.

I have read the above and can attest to their use. I have not read but have heard the Diaries of Otto Klemperer also provide a view of how German society Nazified in the 1930s as seen from a jewish perspective.

Ok off to workout.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the recommendations. Books are great too, I've been needing to pick them up again!

I am part German/Austrian myself. My ancestors on my father's side immigrated to Canada during the first war I believe (to New Berlin, it's name was changed to Kitchener during the 2nd WW). I can definitely understand the factors that the everyday person in Germany had to deal with during that time, but am definitely more interested in the top end view.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
STARTS TONIGHT....I hope it is at least interesting!!!!

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
HAHAHA you still watching that shyt ! it made me mad lol !

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
here is my take....it will be a long drawn out season, with them dropping tid bits every week to keep viewer interest-pretty much what I expected.
the main HUNTERS are much better than I expected, including an acclaimed ex cia agent, a hard core-well known Nazi hunter, a former special ops tim kennedy-who also is a known ufc fighter, a well respected investigative reporter who has extensive background with Nazi's.

imo, the tid bits dropped weekly will be well worth it, I really enjoyed the 1st episode and eagerly await more. it looks like there is more than enough here to cover a full season!!!!

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
here is my take....it will be a long drawn out season, with them dropping tid bits every week to keep viewer interest-pretty much what I expected.
the main HUNTERS are much better than I expected, including an acclaimed ex cia agent, a hard core-well known Nazi hunter, a former special ops tim kennedy-who also is a known ufc fighter, a well respected investigative reporter who has extensive background with Nazi's.

imo, the tid bits dropped weekly will be well worth it, I really enjoyed the 1st episode and eagerly await more. it looks like there is more than enough here to cover a full season!!!!
Im excited. Have all shows been filmed?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I missed it last night. Going to get caught up on that and the first two episodes of The Man in the High Castle, if I ever get caught up on my work :/

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I missed it last night. Going to get caught up on that and the first two episodes of The Man in the High Castle, if I ever get caught up on my work :/
curious to hear what you think of HUNTING HITLER....seeing tim kennedy in it was a nice surprise, and bob baer aint no dog either.