How many Protein shakes on workout days ?

How many protein shakes on workout days do you drink ?

• 1 protein shake

Votes: 55 12.9%
  • 2 protein shakes

Votes: 138 32.2%
  • 3 protein shakes

Votes: 153 35.7%
  • 4 protein shakes

Votes: 59 13.8%
  • 5 or more protein shakes

Votes: 23 5.4%

• Total voters
T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I only have a protein "drink" before a workout....I never have tasting anything thats really a "shake" unless it has ice cream in it!....That wouldn't be very healthy. If I drank "shakes" all the time I would be as big as a house!...The only reason I drink one before a workout is because I want something in my body before I workout but not much, as I don't want to be weighed down from whole food before exercise. You guys have to stop calling them "shakes" until you can put a real chocolate milkshake next to a protein DRINK and not be able to tell the difference!....Also as far as using "meal replacement" drinks, I just don't see how something you drink could be considered a meal. Also the whole foods you choose involed a lot of chewing. Ever hear of the "Thermic Effect"?....I also don't really agree with a lot of the people that think the more protein the better..."Muscle is mostly water, not protein!." All this excess protein you ingest will be wasted or just turn to fat.

mpkonig

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
id say one before workout....one after workout....and one before bed time.

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Heck, I take a shake when I get up, a meal replacement pre-workout, a protein smoothie post-workout, a shake before bed, and I'll even get up in the middle of the friggin' night and drink some protein. lol Gotta like that.
I couldn't afford that. Chicken breasts are a hell of a lot cheaper than a tub of quality protein powder...

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I have 4 protein shakes a day, have you ever seen a big vegetarian, non-dairy bodybuilder? they get almost all there protein from protein shakes.

bradhore

Awards
Two. One 50g pre-workout, one 50g post-workout.

Thats too much protein being consumed, you can only consume a max of 35grams in one go, else the rest is turned to an acid.

Is this right people?

mpkonig

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thats too much protein being consumed, you can only consume a max of 35grams in one go, else the rest is turned to an acid.

Is this right people?
ive heard different views on the grams absorbed at once....some say 35...ive heard 50...ive heard 65...ive also heard it depends on your size...if your 280 lbs..than you can absorbs more than a 135lb person. Dont know the exact science and i havent really found any conclusive evidence to support either.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
ive heard different views on the grams absorbed at once....some say 35...ive heard 50...ive heard 65...ive also heard it depends on your size...if your 280 lbs..than you can absorbs more than a 135lb person. Dont know the exact science and i havent really found any conclusive evidence to support either.
Basic rule of thumb is the following

If you are just trying to maintain your body weight. You need to absorb at least 1 gram per pound of body weight.

If you are a serious lifter and trying to build muscle then you want to be eating anywhere from 1.5 to 2 grams per pound of body weight.

So you want to figure that out and spead it out thru the day. Try not to consume more that 40-45 grams a meal, your body may have trouble digesting this. You will notice most MRPs are around 40-45 grams per serving.

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Whey protein is worse than chinese food (in my opinion at least), I'll take 45g worth of proten, and 20 minutes later, I'm starving again.

I'll usually take a mixture of protein and flour post-workout, and eat a nice big meal 45-80 minutes later.

Thaiclinch

Thaiclinch

Awards
I drink one post morning cardio, than another 2 hours later, then eat a real meal and cycle pro shake real meal, every 2 hours until bed

ZERTZERT

ZERTZERT

Awards
New Guy

I have just started taking my workout seriously these past couple months. I have been told to take x amount of protein shakes by so many people. I have been eating well (chicken, egg whites(mostly), wheat bread, tuna, etc). I try to do 100g of protein from shakes a day workout or not. I have noticed a loss in fat, but no gain in size yet. But, I do feel and look better. Is there any scientific way to figure out how much protein someone should take in?
I am 24 yrs old, 5"10" 186lbs, about 16% BF(down from 21%). I want to eventually get close to 200lbs, but time will only tell.
Thanks for helping a newbie out.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
I have just started taking my workout seriously these past couple months. I have been told to take x amount of protein shakes by so many people. I have been eating well (chicken, egg whites(mostly), wheat bread, tuna, etc). I try to do 100g of protein from shakes a day workout or not. I have noticed a loss in fat, but no gain in size yet. But, I do feel and look better. Is there any scientific way to figure out how much protein someone should take in?
I am 24 yrs old, 5"10" 186lbs, about 16% BF(down from 21%). I want to eventually get close to 200lbs, but time will only tell.
Thanks for helping a newbie out.

If you are training seriously you want to get at least 1.5-2.0 grams per pound of body weight.

TeamSavage

TeamSavage

Awards
  • Established
I try to do 100g of protein from shakes a day workout or not.
That's fine... as long as you're getting another 200g or so from chicken, lean beef, tuna, eggs, etc. ;)

First, get down to a BF you're comfortable with. Since you'll be losing weight overall during this period, focus on strength gains as a way to measure your "gains". Then once you're lean, you can bump up your cals and gain away.

ZERTZERT

ZERTZERT

Awards
Thanks

That's fine... as long as you're getting another 200g or so from chicken, lean beef, tuna, eggs, etc. ;)

First, get down to a BF you're comfortable with. Since you'll be losing weight overall during this period, focus on strength gains as a way to measure your "gains". Then once you're lean, you can bump up your cals and gain away.
Thanks for the advice. I am definately more concerned with my bf% first. I am thinking about starting a log of my workouts and diet so that anyone interested can comment and/or give advice. Thanks a lot.

Also, thanks to Ripped1. Since I am 186lbs I should be shooting for 279g - 372g. Thanks, I will try to keep better track of my intake so that I can add or subtract to it.

Last edited:
thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you are training seriously you want to get at least 1.5-2.0 grams per pound of body weight.
In my opinion, it all boils down to the way you are training. Training under different schools of thought require different amounts of protein (Example: Someone training in the 'Heavy Duty' methodology does not need nearly as much protein as someone who's doing a High Volume Split). A minimum 1g per pound of bodymass, evenly split between meals, has always been my rule of thumb.

21inchguns

Awards
75 g whey Isolate in morning
75 g whey Isolate pwo.
2 shakes for me. At night I eat 6 whole eggs because the fat slows protein absortion and is good for test.

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i drink one before workout and one after 32grams. then i set my alarm clock at 3am and drink another 32grams

JPM

JPM

Awards
On workout days usually 2-3
1) 1st thing in the morning
2) PWO (Torrent)
3) Sometimes before bed or some cottage cheese depends how I feel.

sicnarf

Awards
I consume one shake a day for both workout and non-workout days.

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
I drink three on work-out days, but I'm one of those guys that has troubles eating enough. At lease one of those shakes is usually mixed with milk, oats, flax and fruits. Doing this helps me to put down more cals.
Whats flax? (I have trouble keeping up with half the food talk in these forums, im guessing most of u blokes are american and just have different names for foods...)

workout days I have 3, 1 before i go gym, 1 after i come back and maybe one later in the evening

i find it a tad hard getting more than 200g a day aswell

on non workout days i have 1 when i wake up so my body can abosrb it quick coz ive been asleep n starving for those 8 - 9 hours, if im out all day and miss a good meal ill throw in a second but no more than that

im struggling finding food, ill get some beef about 250-300g which will provide me with 40-50g of protein easy, ill have 2full eggs and 2 whites then wait another hour and have 2 more eggs and 2 more whites (thats 40-50g of protein coz i use extra large eggs), so that puts me on like 100g or just under, then i find just eating more meats a hassel, cant be bothred opening up cans of pink salmon anymore, and i dont count other regular stuff my parents make for dinner like soups or other types of food

9volt

9volt

Awards
To add in a "0" option in the poll, you can add an option for < 1.

Cellardude

Cellardude

Awards
  • Established
whole food ftw for me! just 1 protien shake after work out for me:p

sameerkhan51

sameerkhan51

Awards
30g pre-work out.. 30g post=workout... 30g 2 hrs before bed...

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
1-2 shakes most of the time. Sometimes 3-4 if I'm real busy

freqfly

freqfly

Awards
  • Established
Cytogainer first thing in the morning, 2 scoops whey w/ 1 cup raw oats PWO, 2 scoops casein before bed.

MasterFlexx

MasterFlexx

Awards
half cytogainer/half ON 100% whey PWO, then another full cytogainer shake before bed. So i guess that makes it generally two on WO days.

Dr Packenwood

Dr Packenwood

Awards
  • Established
~70g in the morning

~70g before work out

then depending on what I eat for dinner another ~70g.

For a while there I was consuming 4 ED, which I might go back to.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Before breakfast I sometimes put down some pure Goat Whey (45 grams) and then eat whole food. Post-workout I'll have 60 grams from Goat Whey with 3 pieces of Ezekiel cin-raisin bread with organic honey drizzled on it. If I don't feel like eating tuna before bed, I may opt for a milk isolate shake.

jwilds73

jwilds73

Awards
I eat 3 to 4 real meals a day and use the shakes between meals with a Banana blended it it. With my work schedule and enviroment I can't really eat while working but when and if I can I'll steal 10mins and scarf down some real food. Usually a small bowl of home-made chili with lean ground turkey and chicken. That said I absolutely love the tase of Syntrax Matrix 5.0 Orange Cream protein powder. Orange Cream protein powder, ice, a banana, non fat milk and a small helping of light coconut milk is just great tasting. Even with just ice and milk it tastes alot like an Orange Julius.

strategicmove

strategicmove

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Whey protein is worse than chinese food (in my opinion at least), I'll take 45g worth of proten, and 20 minutes later, I'm starving again.

I'll usually take a mixture of protein and flour post-workout, and eat a nice big meal 45-80 minutes later.
That comment on whey is funny. I think Chinese food is more durable, but I get your drift. Whey is fine when you need a fast protein. I prefer a mix of whey and soy, though. I think the whey-only lobby overestimate the vaule of whey only as opposed to a combination of fast and slow proteins. Even from an anabolic point of view.

IroNwIlL2006

IroNwIlL2006

Awards
I use a whey/egg protein blend, and typically have 3-4 shakes a day. I always get over 200g of protein from whole foods too. I'm also not a big fan of the whey, but atleast it cuts costs.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Two. One first thing in the morning (followed immediately by breakfast), and one immediately after my workout (followed immediately by a meal).

disciple76

disciple76

Awards
Usually 4 on workout days. One pre (30g), One post (30g), one between lunch and dinner (40g), and one before bed (40g). Usually 2-3 on non-workout days (Sun).

badboy175

Awards
i am 15 years old and am about 148 pounds and 6'2 and i am pretty thin and not strong, i have just started weight lifting and taking protein shakes. i take a protein shake called muscle juice. i only take it once after my workout. I use 2 scoops of the protein powder and pour it into a glass of mil. is this fine?

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i am 15 years old and am about 148 pounds and 6'2 and i am pretty thin and not strong, i have just started weight lifting and taking protein shakes. i take a protein shake called muscle juice. i only take it once after my workout. I use 2 scoops of the protein powder and pour it into a glass of mil. is this fine?
Perfect..

badboy175

Awards
Perfect..
ok thats good to know. i was wondering if i should start taking the sake in the morning too? half a scoop in the morning and 1 1/2 scoop after workout. and on the weekends when i dont work out 1 scoop in the morning. is this good? anything i should change?

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
I just do 2 a day. In the morning with my breakfast shake, and at night with some milk. I just use it to reach my protein goal for the day because its hard for me to acheive 250gm without them. Five a day is ridiculus and pointless, and perhaps even harmful because they are poorly absorbed.
They pretty much go right through you unless comsumed slowly, and who has time for that? On w/o days I try to get one directly post workout just to get some fast bcaas into my system.

LilPsychotic

LilPsychotic

Awards
  • Established
i drink one before workout and one after 32grams. then i set my alarm clock at 3am and drink another 32grams
That getting up in the middle of the night thing to take supps is for the birds IMO. I understand the logic, but it seems rather trivial and unnessesary to me. I just make sure I get a large meal in for breakfast. Sleep is just as important as nutrition, and I have a hard enough time getting enough sleep without waking up in the middle of the night. But I certainly give you credit for the dedication.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Before breakfast I sometimes put down some pure Goat Whey (45 grams) and then eat whole food. Post-workout I'll have 60 grams from Goat Whey with 3 pieces of Ezekiel cin-raisin bread with organic honey drizzled on it. If I don't feel like eating tuna before bed, I may opt for a milk isolate shake.
My oh my, have things changed ;)

ryaroberts

ryaroberts

Awards
  • Established
i do one at 11am post workout, 4pm snack, and 9pm multi blend before i go to bed

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
I drink down 3 scoops of whey isolate accumulatively in a day usually. On off days, just 2.

lilGiant

lilGiant

Awards
any more than 2 shakes a day is unecessary, and is taking up room and time for valuable food nutrients that should be going into the body. You body only needs quick absorbing shakes 2 times in one lifting day which is pre and post wkout. The other meals need to be filled w/ real solid foods! Protien shakes lack the nutrition and natural vitamins that food has to offer in which the body needs to utilize especially for those of us who are really puonding it in the gym!

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
any more than 2 shakes a day is unecessary, and is taking up room and time for valuable food nutrients that should be going into the body. You body only needs quick absorbing shakes 2 times in one lifting day which is pre and post wkout. The other meals need to be filled w/ real solid foods! Protien shakes lack the nutrition and natural vitamins that food has to offer in which the body needs to utilize especially for those of us who are really puonding it in the gym!
:thumbsup:

3dmuscle9122

Awards
Protein

ON 100% Whey 2 times a day mixed with Oatmeal and crushed Almonds. Night time Milk Muscle with Shredded Wheat.

Total #3

Food Protein: Fat Free Cottage Cheese
99% Ground Turkey
Chicken Breast

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
i take my protein shakes on their own just mixed with water... always been considering mixing it with stuff but i aint too sure

buuzer0

buuzer0

Awards
  • Established
I take one an hour before working out and one within 30 minutes of working out.

On days that I don't work out I don't take any.

Right now I'm using All The Whey's whey protein isolate mixed with water. I do milk every now and then but the gas gets pretty ridiculous, just as it did when I was using Optimum Nutrition's whey blend.

jamesb2525

jamesb2525

Awards
1 24g whey pre workout 1 50g pro-complex after workout and 1 24g casein shake just before bed