too many protein shakes per day

mircle

Awards
I am trying to consume as much as possible and find that drinking shake is much easier for me than eating food. Sometimes when I know I need to eat I simply cannot force myself. I could however manage a shake.

My question is simply this. Is there such a thing as too many shakes per day? Is something wrong with drinking these replacement shakes too often?

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
You are short changing yourself when you rely on shakes too much. I from time to time find myself relying on shakes to much (its rare but there just tastier, easier to get down, and so on). However whole foods contain added nutrients, extremely high protein quality/amino profiles, and contain other substances that shakes lack.

I limit my shake intake to 3 per day when bulking (1 pre, 1 post, and 1 with meal 3 that also has a can of tuna in it). Whole foods are your friends, try to make that the bulk of your nutritional plan. Plus whole foods can be delicious as well (steak, bbq chicken, eggs, mmmmmm).

mircle

Awards
Hell, if three shakes per day is acceptable then I am ok with that. I would like to have 2 or 3 rather than 1 split before and after workout.

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
I would suggest some gut health if you have any issues with the mass amounts of protein you put in your body via shakes.... They used to give me stomach issues but not anymore thanks to gut health!! great stuff

Genetic79

Genetic79

Awards
If and I stress the if you can't eat by all means drink a shake. I use to drink 6 shakes aday with one solid meal. My stomach prolly thought I lost my teeth but I didn't lose any muscle or strength. But if you can eat solid the do it.

BLANCO7

BLANCO7

Awards
going along with Genetic's response: protein supplements will have to do if you absolutely cannot achieve consuming whole food but they are not an equal substitute for whole food. in reality, we can come up with all the excuses we want to try and make up for our laziness but there are very few cases where it is virtually or absolutely impossible to get a good wholesome meal in.

ex: last night i wanted to have a small meal before heading to bed since i hadn't eaten since 7 and it was a bit after 10. as soon as i got home i took melatonin so within 15 min. i began feeling pretty tired but i knew i still had yet to get that light mean in. the thought of simply making a protein/carb/fat shake crossed my mind but i sucked it up, stopped complaining/making excuses and dragged my butt to the kitchen and had:

3 whole eggs
6g bcaas
1/2 cup cranberry pomegranate juice
4 tbsp sunflower seeds

where there's a will, there's a way. simple as that.

liftw8t

Awards
nothing is like pure food man and if you take to many shakes you can get constipated depending what kind you are taking and your digestive track

underadar

Awards
Nothing is better then food. There was a short period where I needed more shakes then food (finals week) and in just two weeks my stomach was killing me. To much whey and milk. Even after using just water i was sick of them

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
I've missed my whole foods the last two days :( I let myself down on Sunday night and ended up getting hammered. Didn't manage to eat anything on monday apart from a shake that pretty much went right through me :( making up for it today though :D

Inarius

Inarius

Awards
  • Established
nothing is like pure food man and if you take to many shakes you can get constipated depending what kind you are taking and your digestive track
actually for me quite the opposite happens!!

Phill

Phill

Awards
actually for me quite the opposite happens!!
Exactly if anything most people end up looking like the storm trooper in this guys avatar from to many shakes.

YES whole food is great but protein shakes are really just convenient whole food there are food and rather inexpensive when you view them as such.

Its a good idea to aim for 50% or more of your meals to come from whole foods, but sometimes when lean mass and getting intake is an issue you do what you have to.

Man Ive had as many as 12 or more scoops a day to keep my intake up when I just dont have an appetite and food is a Pain in the A$$

Whey is a GREAT food source and is a great vehicle thats jump starts protein synthesis. If you need it and can stomach it and mass and strength is your mission. Drink up bro.
'