Herder's 2014 Log: All About the XPC Semi's

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Brutal! I love that ****.

SSB Front Squat?
Jack up the handles toward you and do fronts with the ssb. Doesn't hurt to hold it in the rack, though it doesn't throw you forward as far.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

smoker145

So it's not good to squat shoeless? I don't wear shoes for squats or deads sometimes

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So it's not good to squat shoeless? I don't wear shoes for squats or deads sometimes
It's fine depending on your leverages and ankle/hip mobility.

But if you're a heeled squatter, it's hard going flat footed and hitting the same depth and form.

smoker145

It's fine depending on your leverages and ankle/hip mobility. But if you're a heeled squatter, it's hard going flat footed and hitting the same depth and form.
Oh ok. Thanks nomz

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I really focus on spreading the floor and torquing my feet. I'd imagine you COULD do that shoeless, but I would not. Chucks vs shoeless, they're pretty much the same to me anyway. Now, if I could get myself to spread the floor in my O shoes, we'd be g2g.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Oh, I walked in today to see a bench rigged up with 315 and minibands. Of course, I thought "That's odd..." and kept on going about my day. After one of my sets I looked over and this guy ripped off twenty reps on the bench with 315 sans bands. BSing with him while he was loosening his shoulders post-sesh, it turns out he drives out to Westside once or twice a month to train. Dude looked like a bear. Didn't catch his name, though.

Also, I'm still trying to get the blood out of my lower back. Videos in a few.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here's the video. My form was all over the place today. Not something I like to see.

[video=youtube;Pk8i2WahvQw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pk8i2WahvQw&edit=vd[/video]

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hey man, squats look good. Just looks like they were challenging(duh) and took a lot of PC activation on the way up. Same **** happens to me...especially beltless.

I think SSB GMs are brutal

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Nice squats man! Form looked good.. I still have yet to use the SSB at my gym, I've actually never even seen it in action, might have to knock the dust off it one day.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It looked like the harder you yanked down on the handles, the better the rep was.

Solid work herder, those looked like a grind...
Yeah, I'm still not sure how I want to work those handles, the thing kicks my ass.

Nice squats man! Form looked good.. I still have yet to use the SSB at my gym, I've actually never even seen it in action, might have to knock the dust off it one day.
Thanks, get under that thing as soon as possible! Today, I'm sore in my legs, hips, glutes, my upper abs, and my lower traps are ON FIRE.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
ME Bench

Was thinking either shirt up, or hit a 2-board PR. Either way a PR was required. Elbows felt majestic and the sleeves were working, so I just kept going up. Little brother joined the 300lb club today, then got squished with three plates.

275x3
315x1
345x1
370x1 PR
385x0 barely missed it. Stuck a little off of my chest, 380 would have gone.
add 2-board
405x0 nothing left in the rear delts/upper back. Lats were g2g, rear delts were not.

Lilly Bench with Grip4orce (no sleeves)
275x8

A good, tight pair of elbow sleeves will supposedly give 5-10lbs carryover. These will give me more simply because they cause me to descend at a normal pace and give me the strongest natural groove, as opposed to the pain-free groove. I'm amazed at how I felt. Best I've felt in a long while.

DB Incline
80x21,16,14 for a total of 51. I get to move up to 85-90! Yay!

Rear Delt Destroyer x2

Facepull/Pullapart x5

Vogelpohl Rows

DB External Rotations 20lbs x 8. These need to be 35x3x8. Will be working on them.

Moved my grip back out to ring finger on the ring. Elbows felt great, shoulders felt great. Glad I PRed again and gave myself some new numbers to work off of. I swear, I'm going to get back to an actual program next week. But not later this week, because I will be benching in a properly sized shirt on Saturday with a few guys with shirt experience. So that'll be exciting.

Going to start doing WIDE grip pullups chest to bar, facepulls, and pullaparts to get this upper back thing sorted out. Possibly change my lat pulldowns to come to my clavicles with a wide grip instead of the V-bar to the sternum. Excellent day, though.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nice!!!!!!!! You're pulling a Torobestia with these constant bench PRs.

Do you have a good link for Vogelpgol rows?

And give that Cressey RC routine a go for those rotators.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nice!!!!!!!! You're pulling a Torobestia with these constant bench PRs.

Do you have a good link for Vogelpgol rows?

And give that Cressey RC routine a go for those rotators.
Good call, and when I read Vogelpohl rows in the Cube book, I never found them on the internet, so I just did high pulley rows out the ass, but here is where I first found them:

[video=youtube;tK6vI0WyAbE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK6vI0WyAbE[/video]

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Aren't those just straight arm pulldowns with a band?

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Aren't those just straight arm pulldowns with a band?
Yeah, that's all. I did them with the cable. They hit the armpit area of the lats pretty good, the same part that gets sore when I do a lot of handoffs and Lilly benching.

Speaking of which, I also did a set of Grip4orce Lilly benches at 275x8 after all my benching. That was also hard on the upper back.

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Jelly on another bench PR, you're a bench machine.

lol at straight arm pulldowns being renamed.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Jelly on another bench PR, you're a bench machine.

lol at straight arm pulldowns being renamed.
Hey, I don't name 'em, I just do em! Thanks, it's about time you grab up some of your own.

CincyKiller45

CincyKiller45

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
PR's on PR's.

Can't wait to see ya get 4 wheels.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
PR's on PR's.

Can't wait to see ya get 4 wheels.
Me neither, but don't hold your breath. I've never in my life been good at activating my rear delts and getting them to grow. Hopefully pounding them on the daily will force them to grow.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Me neither, but don't hold your breath. I've never in my life been good at activating my rear delts and getting them to grow. Hopefully pounding them on the daily will force them to grow.
Rear Delt Destroyers FTW!

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Ugh, and 2 sets of them.
I know. I can't do them well enough to get it all worked out in the first set. I was using the 70s for the swings, I usually use 20 for the regular reps, and then I have a partner push against me for the holds.

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I am going to come steal some of your bench to add to mine. Thanks. ;)

Nice work.

capo180

Awards
  • Established
Nice work on the PR man!! The rear delts and well the whole upper back area just needs to be hit often and from different angles. Looks like you got a nice plan of attack though man!

NomZ

NomZ

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My rear delts grew a lot when I increased my rowing frequency and exaggerated shoulder extension on some rowing exercises.

Deak007

Deak007

Awards
Nice Log man!

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Speed Pulls!

315+ ~120chain x10x1

In an unforseen and fortunate twist of fate, a little length of this frickin 25' length of chain fell off of the bar each rep. That was nice of it.

Blocks
365x5x2

Conventional Deficit (1")
365x2x6

The chain took much more out of me than I expected. I like how my hips feel with the accomodating resistance.

Stiff Leg(ish) Snatch Grip 3" Deficits
135x3x12

That was plenty of weight for those.

Pull Ups (wide grip, chest to bar)
BWx3x5

Lat Pulldown (wide grip, torque bar like a bench press)
3x10

DB Chest Supported Row
70x3x12
60x12

Tried to keep my elbows out for as long as I could, then tucked bows to get more reps.

Reverse Hyper
Long Miniband x4x15

Ab Wheel (kneeling)
3x10

Mobilized before pulling today. That was a good idea. Went well, didn't expect to be so blown out for assistance, but it turned out OK. Video in awhile.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Hey man, how long are you in there for usually? Always seems like you get a ton done. Awesome work brother!

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hey man, how long are you in there for usually? Always seems like you get a ton done. Awesome work brother!
Long frickin time. Usually right around 2 hours. I keep trying to work faster, but it's hard to do.

smoker145

Long frickin time. Usually right around 2 hours. I keep trying to work faster, but it's hard to do.
Not much more than me. On upper I move slow. It's also hard to breathe sometines so I gotta stop for a few minutes. It all adds up in the end