HELP! German Volume Training as introduce by Charles Poliquin?

AndreAnabolic

AndreAnabolic

Awards
hey everyone, if you are unaware of what german volume is, it is 2 exercises performed at 10 sets of 10 reps (usually compound movements) followed by 2 (isolated or compounds) performed at 3 sets of 10-12 reps, i was thinking of using it as my next routine. it will look like this

Day 1 Monday: Chest/Tri
Incline DB Bench Press: 10sets of 10reps
Close Grip Bench Press: 10 sets of 10reps
DB Flies: 3sets of 12reps
Tricep Cable Pushdown: 3sets of 12 reps

Day 2 Tuesday: Legs/Shoulders
Squats: 10 of 10
DB Shoulder Press: 10 of 10
Split Squats: 3 of 12
Lateral Raise: 3 of 12

Day3 Thursday: Back and Biceps
Deadlifts: 10 of 10
Straight bar curls: 10 of 10
Lat Pulldown: 3 of 12
DB hammer curl: 3 of 12

Day 4 Saturday: same as day 1

Day 5 Sunday: same as day 2

Day 6 Tuesday: same as day 3

start day 1 again on thursday.

thoughts???? please give advice

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
In my opinion, the volume is WAY too high, unless you're on some anabolic hormones.

DEADn

DEADn

Awards
Gvt

I tried this back in the day. On paper it looks like it could be good but really in the end it isn't. It will give you a good pump but you have to ask yourself, what do you want your body to do in lifting weights. GVT will blow you up and then just as quickly it'll let the air out as well. You can hurt yourself quickly and overtrain very very quickly.

Best thing is lower the weights and stay away from 10 reps for one exercise. If you are a beginner you are best to do 3-4 sets of 10-12 reps or even lower.

I go between straight sets and rest paused because I find it more effective then anything else I have done. Plus I hate having to change weights all the time. Yep, I am growing to.

CleetusVanDam

CleetusVanDam

Awards
  • Established
Ive done two training cycles in GVT formatZ: mass gains can be very high using GVT, strength gains WILL be very limited. The protocol is insanely tough to handle mentally as every workout feels very redundant. depending on your goals, this type training can be hit or miss, also if you are going to stick with it you should vary your excercises per every other workout. You should have a workout 1a and workout 1b that utilize different compound movements for each bodypart and alternate them every other session.

jeffh3c

jeffh3c

Awards
  • Established
GVT and overtraining?

Ive done two training cycles in GVT formatZ: mass gains can be very high using GVT, strength gains WILL be very limited. The protocol is insanely tough to handle mentally as every workout feels very redundant. depending on your goals, this type training can be hit or miss, also if you are going to stick with it you should vary your excercises per every other workout. You should have a workout 1a and workout 1b that utilize different compound movements for each bodypart and alternate them every other session.
Ok. just got off M1D and Havoc. I have been training primarily for strength, so reps were ~4-6 and about 12 sets per body part x 2 per day. Made great gains in strength but size is really close to the same. I was looking at this program to try to stimulate the faster twitch muscle fibers that have been mainly unused in my other program. I am on day 2 and I am getting sore, but I do notice the psychological negs/ as you feel like a lightweight in the gym. Should I throw in a few sets of lower rep to keep the slow twitch up, or just do this and then go back to my normal method? I dont want to go bckwards from doing this. Ialso dont want to overtrain (though this isnt alot more in the way of sets than my normal). Poloquin mentioned in his article from "some other BB board" that doing the same body part a second time the same day can really bring the gains. Good idea here or was he refering to those on a "normal" program.

Thanks for the help!

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I did GVT when on the TNT stack late this summer and loved it; saw some great muscle gains. My diet and training were very focused, but I think this is a good workout program and I recommend it to my friends , atleast to help them switch up their workout routine.

jonesboy

jonesboy

Awards
  • Established
I have tried this also. Didn't much care for it. Look up HST if you are in search of a great program.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've tried it and enjoyed it, other than the boredom of counting reps, and how bad the squats suck. since you aren't supposed to change the weight set to set, you really have to guess right on that one. even just 20lbs too high feels like you are dying in set 8-10

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I've tried it and enjoyed it, other than the boredom of counting reps, and how bad the squats suck. since you aren't supposed to change the weight set to set, you really have to guess right on that one. even just 20lbs too high feels like you are dying in set 8-10
failings of the program right there.