Gym Footwear

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
What are you wearing in the gym for footwear?

I was looking at some Ryder shoes the other day and it got me rethinking my choice of footwear. Right now I wear a New Balance Minimus shoe with great ventilation and a very low drop (3mm). I am starting to think about wearing a high top shoe though for extra ankle support. I'm worried about ankle mobility though. Especially for squats.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Some guys in my gym actually wear boots when squating and stuff. I usually like a flatter shoe like converse or something.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I wear reebox crossfit nano 2.0 (i know, i know its a sin to train for powerlifting and "rep" crossfit, whatever) on bench days. And i wear my sabo deadlifting shoes for squats and deads. I love the high top Sabos for squats, the metatarsal and ankle straps in combination with the high top nature of the shoe stabilizes your ankles very well. Love them.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
When i squat and deadlift i dont wear any shoes... I also like timbs and air force ones and even chuck taylors. Those are all flat and stable.

Other than that its whatever i feel like. I love running in classic new balances, probably the most comfortable i own...

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Chucks for me. I used to use Vibrams, but they weren't ideal as I soon found out, LOL.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Comp squat or deadlift in Sabo Deadlifters or Reebok powe rshoes. Bench press in either. Moderate/Narrow stance squat in VS Athletics.

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Adidas makes some great lifting shoes, will post the name when I get home. They are perfect for squats/deads

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
I'm in the converse crew. Got myself black leather hi tops. I see a lot of people go in their socks.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm in the converse crew. Got myself black leather hi tops. I see a lot of people go in their socks.
I do socks alot. I feel more grounded especially when im doing heavy squats and deads.

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I do socks alot. I feel more grounded especially when im doing heavy squats and deads.
About the only thing I do in socks now is lunges. Used to do my whole leg routine shoeless until I stubbed my toe one too many times (I pace in between sets)

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Other than going shoeless, can't beat the classic converse chuck Taylors.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Other than going shoeless, can't beat the classic converse chuck Taylors.
You definitely can in my opinion. I've never used them but soft rubber soles and the lack of a metatarsal strap are 2 reasons ive never gotten any. Only benefit: price. After switching to my sabos with the metatarsal strap and ankle strap (from a shoe that didnt have either) its amazing how much more stability you have. Not something you'll really notice acutely i wouldnt think, but rubber soles compress under load in the opposite direction you want your force vector going. That = decrease force transfer through the bar. Less force generated through the bar = less weight youre able to move.

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You definitely can in my opinion. I've never used them but soft rubber soles and the lack of a metatarsal strap are 2 reasons ive never gotten any. Only benefit: price. After switching to my sabos with the metatarsal strap and ankle strap (from a shoe that didnt have either) its amazing how much more stability you have. Not something you'll really notice acutely i wouldnt think, but rubber soles compress under load in the opposite direction you want your force vector going. That = decrease force transfer through the bar. Less force generated through the bar = less weight youre able to move.
Science kicks a$$!

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What are you wearing in the gym for footwear?

I was looking at some Ryder shoes the other day and it got me rethinking my choice of footwear. Right now I wear a New Balance Minimus shoe with great ventilation and a very low drop (3mm). I am starting to think about wearing a high top shoe though for extra ankle support. I'm worried about ankle mobility though. Especially for squats.
I'm looking at the new balance minimus shoes now, but still unsure. I need something I can deadlift and squat in, but still go out and run errands afterwards in. Something a little more versatile then a strictly powerlifting shoe, which I imagine the Adidas powerlifting shoe is. Although I may be wrong...?

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm looking at the new balance minimus shoes now, but still unsure. I need something I can deadlift and squat in, but still go out and run errands afterwards in. Something a little more versatile then a strictly powerlifting shoe, which I imagine the Adidas powerlifting shoe is. Although I may be wrong...?
The adipower is strictly a squat/Oly shoe. It has a large/stable heal and you'll feel anchored to the ground. Definetly don't wanna do errands in that lol

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The adipower is strictly a squat/Oly shoe. It has a large/stable heal and you'll feel anchored to the ground. Definetly don't wanna do errands in that lol
^^this
They are very stiff, not for walking around.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
lol thanks. Glad I asked then.

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
I'll run out for errands after the gym in my NB shoes. They're comfortable and look decent. My only concern is that many minimalist shoes like that have very soft soles and would wear quickly from wear on asphalt and surfaces like that. Also be warned that the sides are almost all mesh. Great breathability but not great if it's raining.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'll run out for errands after the gym in my NB shoes. They're comfortable and look decent. My only concern is that many minimalist shoes like that have very soft soles and would wear quickly from wear on asphalt and surfaces like that. Also be warned that the sides are almost all mesh. Great breathability but not great if it's raining.
Does it ever feel like your foot is sliding off the sole into the mesh? I had a pair of new balance shoes from like 6 years ago that maybe were minimalist, but had like no padding or anything, and my foot slid off the sole all the time. Really annoying.

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
Does it ever feel like your foot is sliding off the sole into the mesh? I had a pastor of new balance shoes from like 6 years ago that maybe were minimalist, but had like no padding or anything, and my foot slid off the sole all the time. Really annoying.
Nope. I make sure to lace lock for a tight heel fit. It's a habit from hockey but it keeps my foot locked into the shoe very well. No sliding or movement in the shoe at all.

sinewave3

sinewave3

Awards
  • Established
Love Chucks, but been in Vibram 5 fingers for a while. The no sock part sucks, and it took some practice getting my pinky toes in right...

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have been rocking chuck taylors these last couple days and i have to say its almost as good as no shoes at all on squats and deads. Very stable. They suck for cardio tho...

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I got a pretty sweet pair of asics, these are the first pair ive bought of them and fell in love. Never had any trouble doing deads our squats in them but I'm not a powerlifter so they've been great

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Mom dukes got me some fresh chucks on the kohls clearance rack for 10 bucks...

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ive also been wearing nike hyperfuse's which also have a flat bottom. Very confortable and stable as well.

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
Might have to snag a pair of those. About the same price as Chucks. Some of the Oly shoes are crazy expensive!
I bought mine on ebay brand new. $40 shipping and taxes in.

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
sinewave3

sinewave3

Awards
  • Established
Anyone lift in the Nike Frees? See a lot of them at my gym.

whitelie

Awards
I've got a pair but only wear them on chest day. I don't know how any of you guys can lift in bare foot type shoes. I feel all wonky squatting or deadlifting in a soft soled shoe.

Wear these most of the time, very similar to the ryderwear stuff, not overly tight around the ankle unless you lace all the way to the top and do them up ultra tight
http://www.irontanks.com.au/products/orion-gym-shoe

jerisonross

jerisonross

Awards
I wear 5 finger shoes by Vibram footwear. It works your calves better than a regular shoe. Also when dead lifting and squatting i noticed 10x more stability. Definitely would recommend you get a pair!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Geared squats:
Sabo

Sumo/conventional deads (raw and geared):
Sabo

Raw squats (both front and back):
AdiPowers

OHP:
AdiPowers

Everything else is pretty much done in just a basic minimalist shoe. I do like the AdiPowers for SLDL and Bulgarians as well.

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
Got these just in time for last squat session and it was amazing. I didn't realize how off-balance I used to be in regular sneakers. Looking forward to deadlifting in them tomorrow!
You're going to notice a huge difference in hamstring and glute activation as your feet are much flatter and your balance more on your heels. Also the cushioning in regular running shoes absorb a lot of energy.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Geared squats: Sabo Sumo/conventional deads (raw and geared): Sabo Raw squats (both front and back): AdiPowers OHP: AdiPowers Everything else is pretty much done in just a basic minimalist shoe. I do like the AdiPowers for SLDL and Bulgarians as well.
What's your reasoning for switching from Sabos to adipowers for raw squats? Wider stance for geared?

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You're going to notice a huge difference in hamstring and glute activation as your feet are much flatter and your balance more on your heels. Also the cushioning in regular running shoes absorb a lot of energy.
Awesome. I'll report back. Hoping I can break this plateau!

goodvibes

goodvibes

Awards
  • Established
I've got a pair but only wear them on chest day. I don't know how any of you guys can lift in bare foot type shoes. I feel all wonky squatting or deadlifting in a soft soled shoe.

Wear these most of the time, very similar to the ryderwear stuff, not overly tight around the ankle unless you lace all the way to the top and do them up ultra tight
http://www.irontanks.com.au/products/orion-gym-shoe
I would wear something like this but I enjoy lifting barefoot and I might look like a dbag on these.

I have romaleos for squatting only

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
These are the new model to the ones I have. Highly recommended.
I will be looking into these as well. Any comments in these compared to chuck hightops

Chrisehyoung

Chrisehyoung

Awards
I will be looking into these as well. Any comments in these compared to chuck hightops
Lighter and more comfortable. I like to run the track between sets some days and the Chuck's gave me blisters. Ventilation in the NBs is phenomenal as well. Especially nice for those of us with crazy sweaty feet.

SilentSavage0523

Awards
  • Established
Nice

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
What's your reasoning for switching from Sabos to adipowers for raw squats? Wider stance for geared?
You can't squat in a heel in multiply gear. The groove for them is incredibly different.

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i wear chucks, O shoes, or running shoes depending on what i am doing.

i am also a highland games competitor and wear chucks, shotput shoes, and soccer cleats.

each shoe has its purpose.