Full body recomp workouts?

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Now that I'm in a different gym, and because of my work schedule, I'm no longer able to do my 4am workouts before my day shifts.. Like, this week, I worked today 530am-530pm, and I'll do it again tomorrow.. After I get off work, the last place I want to be is the gym..
I feel like I need to be hitting my all my body parts more often and more efficient.

Does anybody have any suggestions for a solid full body workout routine?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Now that I'm in a different gym, and because of my work schedule, I'm no longer able to do my 4am workouts before my day shifts.. Like, this week, I worked today 530am-530pm, and I'll do it again tomorrow.. After I get off work, the last place I want to be is the gym..
I feel like I need to be hitting my all my body parts more often and more efficient.

Does anybody have any suggestions for a solid full body workout routine?
When I do full body which I don't much anymore, I always get stronger. I pick almost all big lifts.

Not including warm up sets I do 3x6

Bench
Squat
Overhead press
Pulldown

That's my main work 3x a week
After doing those I may pick 1 body part for extra work.

So those 4 then whatever time I got left do more shoulders or chest

Then next time after the main 4 do arms supersets

Then the next time after the main 4 do legs.

That's EOD workouts

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I like Smont's layout above that is pretty good.

There really are so many ways you could go about this and with a bit more info (it looks like your schedule isn't constant?) about how many days per week, if you need more "freedom" or it is set in stone, and some info about past ability to recover from certain things, etc. I'd be glad to help out more with more info.

In general though things to keep in mind with full body:
  • You may want to start lower volume than you think. The number one reason people think they can't do more frequent workouts is they do too much volume to start and then can't recover.
    • Therefore if you are used to more "split" style workouts you may even feel like you "haven't done much" during a session, but that is fine! Progression and results will still follow if done right.
  • You probably will want to focus more on compound moves if you haven't in the past.
    • When hitting higher frequency and/or full body I recommend trying to hit a Push, Pull (horizontal/vertical or both), Hinge/Squat Dominant move (alternating these or both IF you have the tolerance), and then a big fan of adding things like Single Leg work or Carries in on a plan like this. Otherwise afterwards hitting cardio, single joint exercises, weak points, etc. depending on tolerance and goals.
  • If it is your first time with full body trust the process a bit. People often act like they can't recover, but after a few weeks you adjust better (especially if you haven't started with too much) and you can likely do more than you think as long as you don't mentally sabotage yourself.
You really can get into so many other things as well (varying intensity and ranges daily or weekly, there used to be a program called Power, Rep Range, Shock that varied weekly while more traditional programs stick to things longer), sticking with similar movements or varying over the week, etc. Again some of this comes down to what you enjoy (what you'll stick to) and what seems better for you.

As far as maybe laid out programs you could check out Average to Savage by Greg Nuckols. Probably a bit more "strength" based, but you can get it for as little as $5 and it pretty endlessly customizable (you could even use it just for the main 1-2 exercises each day and add on more bodybuilding style work after as needed).

Ok end post before I ramble on too long, again if you provide a little more info I'd be glad to "optimize" things with you a bit.

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ok, great!!
I'm 48 years old, 5'7" and about 190. Been working out for about 30 years. On trt. I like high volume workouts. Currently dealing with a flare up of spondylolisthesis, which is pinching the sciatic nerve bad.. Possible surgery this spring.. I'm working around that in the gym.
Below is my work schedule for the month. It's like that even single month. Basically, no gym when I work days, and sometimes able to go when I'm on nights.
Screenshot_20200305-082346_Shifts.jpeg

enhanced

enhanced

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Thanks! I'll definitely look them up!

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Below is my work schedule for the month. It's like that even single month. Basically, no gym when I work days, and sometimes able to go when I'm on nights.
Schedule looks like a lot of blocks of 2, considering you may not be able to always do training on night shift days.

Have you ever though of maybe an upper lower split? That way you could conceivably train two days in a row every time you have two days?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Ok, great!!
I'm 48 years old, 5'7" and about 190. Been working out for about 30 years. On trt. I like high volume workouts. Currently dealing with a flare up of spondylolisthesis, which is pinching the sciatic nerve bad.. Possible surgery this spring.. I'm working around that in the gym.
View attachment 191797
So you gotta train 2 on 1 off 2 on 2 off?

4 workouts a week.

Push,pull, legs,push
Pull,legs, push,pull and so on.

Or just alternate upper/lower.

There's tons of options.