Did you know your SAAs are not actually SAAs?

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
As an objective observer, I still feel De_eB is making a good point. The only positive studies on silk protein are based on silk protein peptides hydrolysed from silk protein. The ingredients in the existing products sold are silk protein free form amino acids, so even if the profile of these is identical to the silk protein peptides they are not the same thing. And not being the same thing means they have not been studied so one is assuming, without evidence, that the free form acids would act the same as, or in a similar manner to, the silk protein peptides. Whether this has been done duplicitously or naively, his point still stands.

Montego1

Montego1

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I will use WHATEVER supplement works best no matter what. If ANY other bcaa product produced better results for me I would use it. That being said, I've had better recovery and endurance since I started BCAA+SAA then with any other product I myself have used. I might rep for Finaflex but make no mistake about it. If something else worked better for me I would be using it.

iparatroop

iparatroop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I will use WHATEVER supplement works best no matter what. If ANY other bcaa product produced better results for me I would use it. That being said, I've had better recovery and endurance since I started BCAA+SAA then with any other product I myself have used. I might rep for Finaflex but make no mistake about it. If something else worked better for me I would be using it.
Yep. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I was using MBCAA+ prior to BCAA/SAA. My favorite tasting supplement in the world is MBCAA+ watermelon and it's a great product. I can't say anything bad about it. The guys at USP did a good job. I also tried a few samples of Endurance BCAA+ and that stuff was great too. Formutech has their stuff together. But in my experience, my recovery time has been reduced since using BCAA/SAA. To each his own, though. I try not to knock too many things before I try them. Unfortunately, not everyone thinks that way.

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Peptides are small groups of amino acids yes? Silk Amino Acids have the amino profile of a silk protein but not in the form of peptide chains therefore they can claim to be silk amino acids as that is what they are.

If someone made a product called beef amino acids then I would expect an amino acid profile (not in protein or peptide form) of that of beef.
Well, part of this issue is honestly the fault of the people performing the studies. For some reason, the titles of these studies have used the terms SAA and hydrolyzed silk protein interchangably, despite clearly using hydrolyzed silk protein in their material preparation, and referring to sericin peptides in the text of their studies

So while it is not dishonest to say that your free form amino acids from silk protein are indeed 'Silk Amino Acids', they are not silk amino acids in the context of the material that was studied.

I know it might come across as if I'm splitting hairs, but my point in all of this is that people should be either adhering to the evidence suggested by published science, or doing due diligence on their own to publish data to support their claims.

If you want to say your silk amino acids are going to have the exact same effects as hydrolyzed silk protein/sericin peptides, then demonstrate it. Don't just ask consumers to buy your product and demonstrate it for themselves.

And in the end, the point still stands that if you consider the effects of silk protein to be elicited solely from the free form amino acid content, then why silk protein? A free form amino acid is the same regardless of source. Why pay a premium based on that source if it's irrelevant? Does anyone have data to suggest that free form amino acids from silk outperform free form amino acids from any other source assuming an identical profile?

And finally, I'm now pretty sure no company has put out a sericin-peptide/hydrolzyed silk protein product, so I'll be attempting to procure my own for self-testing purposes. Will update eventually after I get quotes back from some people.

Hokutoshura

Awards
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I know of a company that DID sell the silk peptides. However, I don't have any information on whether or not they have the specific peptides intact. If I remember correctly the price was about... $150 a lbs. All the information has been taken down since.

The company was PF.

Didn't buy one myself as I just thought that eating BUNDAEGI would be good enough. :laughing:

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I know of a company that DID sell the silk peptides. However, I don't have any information on whether or not they have the specific peptides intact. If I remember correctly the price was about... $150 a lbs. All the information has been taken down since.

The company was PF.

Didn't buy one myself as I just thought that eating BUNDAEGI would be good enough. :laughing:
What is PF?

Celorza

Celorza

Awards
Now I may not be "down" with the science lingo but I believe he was referring to P.F. Changs. It is believe their special sauce contains SAA.
I sense an Anabolic cheat meal has been discovered then!

Hokutoshura

Awards
Protein Factory. I don't really like saying their name after I stopped buying from them years ago (and of course the new spinach extract preworkout isn't helping my opinion). I only got tipped about the product while doing random searches for information about SAA a while back.

If you search protein factory meso-morphatein, you'll get the brief blog post about it. However, the product page is gone.

If the real street price for the stuff is over $100 a pound then I'd rather just buy 30 cans of cooked silkworms from Korea and log myself eating them for a month to see if they help muscle growth.

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Protein Factory. I don't really like saying their name after I stopped buying from them years ago (and of course the new spinach extract preworkout isn't helping my opinion). I only got tipped about the product while doing random searches for information about SAA a while back.

If you search protein factory meso-morphatein, you'll get the brief blog post about it. However, the product page is gone.

If the real street price for the stuff is over $100 a pound then I'd rather just buy 30 cans of cooked silkworms from Korea and log myself eating them for a month to see if they help muscle growth.
PF Had a TON of citations in the last FDA 483 to be published on them.

De__eB

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Something else I just noticed, in the Royal sports BCAA+SAA product

dipotassium phosphate is listed above sustamine in that sub-blend.

There's 65mg of potassium in the product, meaning there's ~145mg of dipotassium phosphate.

This means there's less than 145mg of LALG in the product per serving.

Womp womp.

Hokutoshura

Awards
"real" hydrolyzed silk proteins back in stock at the source I mentioned a couple pages back. Price is now at $93 per unit.

mtinsideout

mtinsideout

Awards
  • Established
"real" hydrolyzed silk proteins back in stock at the source I mentioned a couple pages back. Price is now at $93 per unit.
That is pretty steep for 45 5g servings of the stuff... Hopefully the price will come down