cricket protein bars

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah it's a thing lol. The brand is called Exo and they have 4 flavours (apple cinnamon, cocoa nut, blueberry and pb&j). Who's going to be the firt to try em???

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 1 Bar (60 g)

Servings per Container: 12

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Calories 300
Calories from Fat 180
Total Fat 20 g 31%
Saturated Fat 4.5 g 23%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 10 mg 3%
Sodium 45 mg 2%
Total Carbohydrate 23 g 8%
Dietary Fiber 7 g 28%
Sugars 13 g
Protein 10 g 16%

Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 10%
Iron 10%

Other Ingredients: Almonds, dates, coconut, honey, cricket flour (acheta domesticus) cocoa nibs, cocoa powder, ground flaxseeds, vanilla extract, sea salt.
Allergen Information: Contains almonds, coconut. If you have a crustacean shellfish allergy, you may be allergic to crickets.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Yeah it's a thing lol. The brand is called Exo and they have 4 flavours (apple cinnamon, cocoa nut, blueberry and pb&j). Who's going to be the firt to try em???

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 1 Bar (60 g)

Servings per Container: 12

Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Calories 300
Calories from Fat 180
Total Fat 20 g 31%
Saturated Fat 4.5 g 23%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 10 mg 3%
Sodium 45 mg 2%
Total Carbohydrate 23 g 8%
Dietary Fiber 7 g 28%
Sugars 13 g
Protein 10 g 16%

Vitamin A 0%
Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 10%
Iron 10%

Other Ingredients: Almonds, dates, coconut, honey, cricket flour (acheta domesticus) cocoa nibs, cocoa powder, ground flaxseeds, vanilla extract, sea salt.
Allergen Information: Contains almonds, coconut. If you have a crustacean shellfish allergy, you may be allergic to crickets.
Little protein for lots of other things lol.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Count me out. That's freakin gross.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would.

Ive been thinking about picking up some cricket flour actually

NewAgeMayan

Awards
I dont like cricket, oh no
I love it, yeah

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
Not sure if they were the ones on the tv show Shark Tank but something like it was, I'd rather just eat the crickets. I just think of it as a mini crustacean.

NewAgeMayan

Awards
Not sure if they were the ones on the tv show Shark Tank but something like it was, I'd rather just eat the crickets. I just think of it as a mini crustacean.
I love shrimp, prawn, etc, but no way i can get my head around eating garden insects.

Irrational, but *shrug*

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I've eaten crickets before in a cricket quesadilla in Mexico. They're actually pretty good.

That said, the breakdown of that bar blows. 10g of protein? Why bother.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
I've eaten crickets before in a cricket quesadilla in Mexico. They're actually pretty good.

That said, the breakdown of that bar blows. 10g of protein? Why bother.
Its just a meal replacement bar IMO

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'm a big quest cookies and cream protein bar kinda guy haha So i stick to those.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yea I ahree, those macros aren't great. They are using the cricket powder as the protein source instead of more traditional sources such as whey or even soy.

Here is the macros for just straight cricket flour

McBurly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I remember hearing crickets were a great source of protein. I'm curious what sort of taste the flour has

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm going to go ahead and grab some of the flour. Thanks for posting the label.

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree with comments above, macros suck!
JudoJosh where did you see the cricket flour for sale? I'm seriously interested in trying it.

Segansational

Segansational

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Crickets are not really something I'm interested in eating. I've seen this idea tossed around, but in the US market I just don't see this being a seller.

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The reality is we eat bugs all the time just walking down the street lol not to mention all the stuff that goes into some processed food.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The reality is we eat bugs all the time just walking down the street lol not to mention all the stuff that goes into some processed food.
Protein is protein, just matters on taste, texture, price etc.

Bugs offer a complete animal protein.

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
As much as I see people discussing the sustainability of cricket protein I think the idea of it is just too disturbing for a lot of people to want to consume.

I am pretty open minded when it comes to food but insects freak me out. The profile could be amazing and the bar could be cheap but I am not likely to knowingly purchase and consume crickets. Just doesn't suit my personal preference.

Misfit28

Misfit28

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
My son has a bearded dragon, and we used to do crickets. I might be willing to try it, but they are kinda nasty LOL.

We switched to superworms, wax worms, etc. for the beardie ;)

Nyrin

Awards
That particular bar is horrid (more sugar than protein--and yes, honey and dates count), but I'd totally try cricket protein.

It's not like straight whey tastes very good. Once you grind it up and make it into a homogenous product, I don't really see much "eewie" factor to it at all. Honestly, people grossed out by the idea of eating crickets are probably really oblivious and distanced into the realities behind meat products; if I were to think through it (raising, slaughter, other parts of the process), I'd probably have way more issue eating a chicken breast than I would a cricket.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
That particular bar is horrid (more sugar than protein--and yes, honey and dates count), but I'd totally try cricket protein.

It's not like straight whey tastes very good. Once you grind it up and make it into a homogenous product, I don't really see much "eewie" factor to it at all. Honestly, people grossed out by the idea of eating crickets are probably really oblivious and distanced into the realities behind meat products; if I were to think through it (raising, slaughter, other parts of the process), I'd probably have way more issue eating a chicken breast than I would a cricket.
What about something like mealworms or something like that (earlier stage of development)?

Nyrin

Awards
What about something like mealworms or something like that (earlier stage of development)?
My perspective: why not? If we're just going to grind it up and mix it with good-tasting stuff, it's all about the amino acid composition and any potential toxicity concerns.

I'd be the first to admit that I'd probably have a hard time jumping over the initial psychological barrier of eating whole worms or crickets -- I'd try, but it'd be tough! But ground up and mixed with other things for flavor? Doesn't really weird me out much at all.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My perspective: why not? If we're just going to grind it up and mix it with good-tasting stuff, it's all about the amino acid composition and any potential toxicity concerns.

I'd be the first to admit that I'd probably have a hard time jumping over the initial psychological barrier of eating whole worms or crickets -- I'd try, but it'd be tough! But ground up and mixed with other things for flavor? Doesn't really weird me out much at all.
It will be ground up, the chitin filtered out mechanically, and the protein concentrated to 80% or so.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
It will be ground up, the chitin filtered out mechanically, and the protein concentrated to 80% or so.
Gives it to me raw and wriggling

Blergs

Blergs

Awards
  • Established
thats straight NASTY!! lol

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Same as Nyrin

I'm not saying I would eat crickets whole... but if someone gave me a cupcake and it was made with cricket flour, I would at the very least taste it

GNO

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Same as Nyrin

I'm not saying I would eat crickets whole... but if someone gave me a cupcake and it was made with cricket flour, I would at the very least taste it
As would I.

But I would try the whole cricket too. Basically, you're eating the same thing. The only difference is the taste & texture (separate vs mixed with other ingredients)