Complexes

Fabulous One

Awards
  • Established
Anyone here ever use either barbell or dumbbell complexes? You can get a lot done with relatively little weight and time.

Last night I did the old(really old) York Barbell Simplified System of Barbell Training routine and ran through it twice. I was huffing and puffing and my skin leaked bad.

Here it is:
Light barbell snatch to warmup

1) Barbell Curl
2) Behind Neck Press
3) Upright Row
4) Side Bend w/bar on shoulders

5) Clean and Press
6) Snatch Grip High Pull
7) Squat and Press
8) Power Snatch

9) Standing Press
10) Bent Over Row
11) Deadlift
12) Squat
All exercises are done for 1 set of 10-15 reps. No setting the bar down other than to change the weight. The first 4 exercises uses the same weight, the second 4 also use the same weight, and exercises 9 and 10 use the same weight. For 11 and 12 add weight as needed.

Its a ball buster!

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
What weights are you using for these? Seems like something I’d like to try

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

Fabulous One

Awards
  • Established
I have a few injuries that I'm trying to mend up at the moment, so my weights are a tad bit light lighter than what I could normally use. I recently ruptured the long head of my right bicep and I have a torn meniscus in my right knee from BJJ, so I'm playing banged up at the moment.

So, for the first 4 exercises I used 65lbs, second group I used 85lbs and for 9 and 10 I used 105lbs. This was all the weight I needed. I'm sore from head to toe. I didn't do the squat and deadlifts as I do them separate.

You could also do something like the Javorek Complex or one a Dan Johns complexes.

Javorek Barbell/DB Complex 1

Javorek Complex for Olympic/ Crossfit

Dan Johns Complex A- use either sets of 3 or 8

Barbell Row
Power Clean
Front Squat
Military Press
Back Squat
Good Morning

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I used to do a few rounds of The Bear a couple times a week. Excellent for a bit of quick conditioning work or as a warmup if you’re already in great shape.

Fabulous One

Awards
  • Established
I used to do a few rounds of The Bear a couple times a week. Excellent for a bit of quick conditioning work or as a warmup if you’re already in great shape.
Have you seen any of Josh Bryant's Tactical Hypertrophy/PHA stuff?

Barn1234

Barn1234

Awards
Love this kind of training. Keeps the intensity high and is good at burning a few extra cals!! We used to do a lot of "one bar workouts" when I played Nat 3 rugby in our S&C sessions. We had a 6,6,6 session after a max effort 2km row.

Back Squat x 6
Millitary Press x 6
Front Squat x 6
Bent Over Row x 6
RDLs x 6
Deadlifts x 6
(If its too easy throw in 10 burpees after each round)

Repeat 6 rounds, with the same weight (as light as your weakest lift) no rest between exercises. Was a nice finisher.

Fabulous One

Awards
  • Established
Just read Tactical Strongman and its a great book.

Fabulous One

Awards
  • Established
Just read Tactical Strongman and its a great book.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I am. But I do very simple 4 movements; deadlifts, rows, military press, and snatch. It really tuckers you out especially with short rests in between.

Fabulous One

Awards
  • Established
I am. But I do very simple 4 movements; deadlifts, rows, military press, and snatch. It really tuckers you out especially with short rests in between.
I'm doing them 2x per week. Yesterday I rode the air dyne for 30 minutes and then did the Javorek DB Complex 1 for 5 rounds. Finished it all up with couple hundred reps of neck work. Great workout.

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I'm doing them 2x per week. Yesterday I rode the air dyne for 30 minutes and then did the Javorek DB Complex 1 for 5 rounds. Finished it all up with couple hundred reps of neck work. Great workout.
That's a lot of neck work...

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
One thing I've noticed about complexes is that as you start to fatigue, you lose your control over the movement and this can cause injury or strain to parts of your body. Like I was doing barbell snatches and as I started to fatigue, I had to force myself to maintain my form and now I have an aching shoulder.

Fabulous One

Awards
  • Established
One thing I've noticed about complexes is that as you start to fatigue, you lose your control over the movement and this can cause injury or strain to parts of your body. Like I was doing barbell snatches and as I started to fatigue, I had to force myself to maintain my form and now I have an aching shoulder.
One has to be smart about using them for sure. I think its always best to use a lighter weight than you think you need.