Dumbbell (or Barbell) complexes for cardio?

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has seen any results from doing dumbbell or barbell complexes for cardio purposes? Basically you take your 12 rep max of your over head press and do 6 reps on the following sequence: military press, thrusters, rows, and deadlifts and you repeat with 5 reps, 4 reps, 3 reps etc without taking any break.

I just tried it and it is taxing but I'm not out of breath and my heart isn't beating like crazy when I normally do HIIT cardio. Can anyone shed light on whether it is worth pursuing complexes for cardio?

Thank you!

Scottfalcon

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do them sometimes.. either up the weight or the reps and you should get your heart rate way up.. I'm usually dying halfway through trying to rest with the bar on my shoulders during presses or front squats

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
So would you recommend complexes over conventional cardio? Have you noticed more fat loss and leaning out?

Scottfalcon

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Honestly I hate cardio.. I just do a big mix to keep myself motivated enough to do it.. some HIIT on machines, some complexes, and I'll do some crossfit type metcons with sledgehammer swings/tire flips/loaded carries etc.. once in a while a longer jog/run, fat loss is most noticeable for me when diet is on point regardless of type of cardio

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
uh the idea of barbells for cardio is basically crossfit... minus the gymnastics and track/field aspect. I basically only do barbells for cardio and I maintain about 10% BF year round. I don't run too often because I'll get plantar flair ups.

last night we did a fun little mini wod after our lifting session, it was simple and hard.

3 rounds of
10 power clean and jerks (155lbs)
10 burpees.

something like that is great. or you could do Fran, Grace, Isabelle, DT. DT is a fun one.

last week we did a different one that was pretty hard.

5 rounds of
5 x 135lb thrusters
1 x 100ft sled push (varied weights)

that one scorched us too.

or if you have a jump rope I like to add in 50 double unders inbetween heavy sets of anything.

But to answer your question, yes I'm a HUGE fan of barbell work for cardio. I feel its way more effective for me than 30minutes on a hamster wheel.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has seen any results from doing dumbbell or barbell complexes for cardio purposes? Basically you take your 12 rep max of your over head press and do 6 reps on the following sequence: military press, thrusters, rows, and deadlifts and you repeat with 5 reps, 4 reps, 3 reps etc without taking any break.

I just tried it and it is taxing but I'm not out of breath and my heart isn't beating like crazy when I normally do HIIT cardio. Can anyone shed light on whether it is worth pursuing complexes for cardio?

Thank you!
My guess is, if you aren't finding that challenging, then you're going too light. I mean Fran is just reps of 21 / 15 / 9 of 95lb thrusters and pullups and that wod will destroy you whether you are a guy who can do it in 3 minutes or 10.