Best Weight Gainer Shake?

neofrost83

neofrost83

Awards
  • Established
So I mentioned this a little in my intro thread...but I was wondering what weight gainer you guys recommend.

All my life I've been a "hard gainer". I've been able to out-eat 300lbs men like it's nothing (I'm 140lbs) and not see an extra ounce. On top of that I've been in the Army for 9 years now, where we are required to do A LOT of cardio. Running 3-4 miles every day or every other day doesn't exactly help you gain weight. Most need it to keep their body fat % at/under the Army Standard and to make sure that our run time for the PT Test is at the appropriate level. I have FINALLY gotten into a job where I can actually hit the gym like I want to - about every day after work. But before I go out and buy some bull**** products that don't work and develop an ineffective workout routine I figured I'd ask the experts- namely you guys. Any suggestions are welcome weather it's diet/workout/supplements/etc.

Just as a starter - one question I have that I haven't been able to get a straight answer on is - What's the best weight-gainer? Ok, yea, I've heard "dude just get the one with the most calories and protein"...but most have like 6 servings per jug at like $60 a pop! Not to mention drinking a gallon of this crap a day is next to impossible...let alone maintaining any sort of diet when you're always full of shake-mix!!! I'm trying to develop a better diet and workout routine...with help from the tools on this site, of course (the workout and diet tracker...not the members on this site, lol).

Thanks.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
i say eat huge, drink a ton of milk, and just make ur own darn shakes. Plenty of lil recipes for em floatin around this site. oats, milk, protein powder, pb, olive oil and a blender will get u pretty far.
This.

Unless you have some medical condition, the key to gaining weight is simply to make sure that you get enough calories from a reasonable macronutrient mix. 'Healthy' food usually has a lower calorie density than crap food so it is easy to overestimate how many calories you get when you are eating clean.

The only way to be sure to get enough calories is to make a meal plan, measure portions, and count calories.

neofrost83

neofrost83

Awards
  • Established
So am I to understand that there is NO weight gainer on the market that's worth buying? If I eat 3 solid meals a day and drink a shake full of protein and calories it should realistically help to gain weight right. I'll just pick a random one that is a top seller - GNC Pro Performance 2200. Yes, I've heard GNC's stuff is all fillers, but it's just and example. The label says each serving is (all with water - although I'd always use milk):

Calories- 1840.00

Calories from Fat- 30.00

Total Fat- 3.00 g 5%

Saturated Fat- 1.50 g 9%

Cholesterol- 70.00 mg 23%

Sodium- 500.00 mg 21%

Potassium- 1060.00 mg 30%

Total Carbohydrate- 402.00 g 134%

Dietary Fiber- 5.00 g 20%

Sugars- 81.00 g

Protein- 50.00 g 100%

Here's the issue - THERE'S 5 SERVINGS IN THIS 6 lbs JUG!!!! At $50.00 a pop who can afford that and who can down THAT much mix in a day. I understand the concept but it's almost unrealistic. There HAS to be something on the market that will last a little longer and you don't have to sacrifice meals for. I'm trying to develop a good diet plan right now, but I figure a weight gainer shake can be a good "snack" that's loaded with calories and protein.

CrazyBassGuy

Awards
I use USN Muscle Fuel Anabolic when I'm bulking.

Energy 2270kJ (540 calories ish)
Protein 50.0g
Carbohydrate 78.0g
of which sugars 11.0g
Fat 2.0g
Total Fibre 1.7g

£50 tub has 26 servings

Sodium 741mg
Potassium 202mg
Calcium 243mg
Phosphorous 460mg
Magnesium 42mg
Vitamin A 375µgRE
Vitamin D (Calciferol) 1.9µg
Vitamin E (Alpha Tocoferol) 3.8mgTE
Vitamin C (Ascorbic Acid) 23mg
Vitamin B1 (Thiamine) 0.5mg
Vitamin B2 (Riboflavin) 0.6mg
Niacin 6.8mg
Vitamin B6 0.8mg
Folic Acid 75µg
Vitamin B12 0.4µg
Biotin 30µg
Pantothenic acid 1.5mg

HYPERBOLIC STACK 16,300mg

CREABOLIC STACK
- Creatine monohydrate & Di-Creatine Malate

mTOR ACTIVATOR
- BCAA’s, HMB (BETA-HYDROXY BETA-METHYLBUTYRATE ), Taurine

HYPER VOLUMAX
- L-Glycine, Beta Alanine

GLUTACELL TRI-STACK
- Glutamine AKG, L-Glutamine & peptide bonded Glutamine
[/SIZE]

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
So am I to understand that there is NO weight gainer on the market that's worth buying? If I eat 3 solid meals a day and drink a shake full of protein and calories it should realistically help to gain weight right. I'll just pick a random one that is a top seller - GNC Pro Performance 2200. Yes, I've heard GNC's stuff is all fillers, but it's just and example. The label says each serving is (all with water - although I'd always use milk):
Calories- 1840.00
Calories from Fat- 30.00
Total Fat- 3.00 g 5%
Saturated Fat- 1.50 g 9%
Cholesterol- 70.00 mg 23%
Sodium- 500.00 mg 21%
Potassium- 1060.00 mg 30%
Total Carbohydrate- 402.00 g 134%
Dietary Fiber- 5.00 g 20%
Sugars- 81.00 g
Protein- 50.00 g 100%

Here's the issue - THERE'S 5 SERVINGS IN THIS 6 lbs JUG!!!! At $50.00 a pop who can afford that and who can down THAT much mix in a day. I understand the concept but it's almost unrealistic. There HAS to be something on the market that will last a little longer and you don't have to sacrifice meals for. I'm trying to develop a good diet plan right now, but I figure a weight gainer shake can be a good "snack" that's loaded with calories and protein.
Complete garbage - utter sh!t. Of the 400g of carbs about 300 is maltodextrin which is a super high GI carb. Not to mention that 1800 calories is a ridiculous serving size. Get a Costco membership and start buying REAL food in bulk.

However if you want to disregard the good advice people have given and are insistent on following this route and then you are just going to have to buck up. Even though its mostly crap it costs money for supp companies to put it all in a tub and ship it around the country; plus then they need their profit on top of it.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
For the price of one of those gainers, you can buy 5 lbs of chicken, 8-9 lbs of oats, and a big ass bottle of olive oil....

Just sayin'

I personally don't believe in hard gainers. Unless of course you have a thyroid issue, etc.. You're simply not consuming enough calories to cover your BMR, plus any added work you do could just be burning more of what you need.

The gainer shakes you can make at home are from whole foods (everything short of whey/casein powder) including whole oats, milk, pb, and fruit. SCREW maltodextrin

and paying too much. Why pay too much for something that's loaded with artificial ingredients and is so carb heavy???

neofrost83

neofrost83

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the advice, guys...never really thought about making my own. I guess when I think of making my own I always think back to Rocky drinking like raw eggs and ****, lol!! I guess it's just really good marketing that draws the average Joe Schmos like me in. When you see a huge jug that screams "2200 CALORIES IN ONE SERVING!!!!" And you see all the vitamins and nutrients on the label, it looks better than it really is. Then you try it...and have a hard time getting through ONE shake - let alone still eating a solid 3 meals a day. I'll peruse this "bulking" secting for good do-it-yourself shake ideas. My thought process is this:

Gut up at about 5am to be to PT formation at 0630...run 3-4 miles (ordered to...can't say no). Come home hygeine, eat, watch NFL Network (a must), go to work. I figure I can make a shake after PT so I can drink it from 9-12. 1200-1300 lunch. 1300-1700 work. 1730 - ? Gym and/or football (my unit has a team). 1900ish pick up kids....dinner, bed. Maybe I'll have a shake before bed too...but maybe you see WHY I would prefer a shake instead of eating snacks in between meals. Don't really have the time or the ability to sit there eating all day. Not to mention running constantly during the summer is killer if you are trying to gain weight.

Nonetheless, guys, thanks for the help. If anyone DOES find a good and effective weight-gainer shake then PLEASE post it. In the mean time I'll be looking through the site as usual.

jiberish

jiberish

Awards
gainers are overpriced you get about. Most gainers are just whey + assloads of maltodextrine. They put in 20 dollars worth of whey and 5 dollars worth of malto and charge 50-60 bucks. Get a solid whey protein and add whatever carb you want.
If you want malto then go to the super market and buy brewing sugar. I used to buy it for 2 dollars a 1kg. But now I just blend oatmeal with my post workout shakes. It isn't very filling really. I can blend 100grams of oats with 45g grams of protein and I don't feel full. In terms of getting your calories in. Lots of brown rice, wholemeal spaghetti, wholemeal bread and peanut butter. Calories galorie of good fats there. With a good splurge food every now and then.

My favorite is uncut wholemeal bread. So I cut a slice that is like 4 slices thick and put some peanut butter on top.

neofrost83

neofrost83

Awards
  • Established
So from the advice I received, last night I made my own shake. Is there somewhere online I can go to add up everything I put in there so I can better track it?

pablogdog

pablogdog

Awards
  • Established
So from the advice I received, last night I made my own shake. Is there somewhere online I can go to add up everything I put in there so I can better track it?
I'm certain there are several. SparkPeople comes to mind.

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
My favorite was cyto sports cyto gainer - chocolate malt

expensive tho :((((

starquest88

starquest88

Awards
the one that im trying out now is Optimum Nutrition Pro Gainer. Its been about my 4th day on it, and doesnt seem to bad so far..about 40 some od bucks worth for 5lbs.

The one that really helped me fatten up last year was one called Extreme XXL from ABB. That stuff was crazy. i was doin half scoops of that big scooper and used about half the bottle and put on around 10 lbs. but i was eatin like a cow as well. was tired of sitting at around 140 lbs at that time.

PoppaNick88

Awards
Super Mass Gainer by dymatize, Cookies and creeam flavor is my Favorite!
$37.98 at Bodybuilding.com right now!

Description: SUPER Mass Gainer 12lb by Dymatize

1,280 Calories. 50 g Protein. Awesome value. Huge 12 pounder.

Servings Per Container: 16

Each serving contains: Calories 1,280 Calories from Fat 72 Total Fat 8 g 45% Saturated Fat 1 g 5% Cholesterol 70 mg 22% Sodium 200 mg 8% Potassium 500 mg 15% Total Carbohydrate 252 g 84% Sugars 39 g Protein 50 g 100% Vitamin A 2,500 IU 120% Vitamin C 60 mg 150% Calcium 410 mg 60% Vitamin D 200 IU 90% Vitamin E 30 IU 150% Biotin 150 mcg 150% Chromium 120 mcg 100% Niacin 10 mg 150% Pantothenic Acid 5 mg 120% Vitamin B12 3 mcg 100% Vitamin B6 1 mg 150% Riboflavin 1 mg 150% Folic Acid 140 mcg 150% Creatine Monohydrate 1 g Proprietary Amino Acid Blend 2 g Zytrix 250 mg

Ingredients: Dymatize Complex Carbohydrate Blend (Made up of the Highest Quality Corn Dextrins Available from Maltodextrin Providing Ultra High Levels of 100% Pure Long Chain Glucose Polymers), Dymatize Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Calcium Caseinate, Egg Albumen), Dymatize Simple Carbohydrate Blend, Natural Cocoa, Dymatize Super Mega Gainer Vitamin and Mineral, and Fatty Acid Blend (Vitamin A Palmitate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Ascorbic Acid, D-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Soy Lecithin, Medium Chain Triglycerides, Sodium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Niacinamide, Zinc Oxide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Beta Carotene, Brewer's Yeast, CGF Chromium Yeast, Spirullina, Cyanocobalamin), Natural and Artificial Flavors. Proprietary Amino Acid Blend: Glutamine, Glutamine Peptides, L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine

Directions: As a dietary supplement, add 2 scoops of Dymatize Super Mega Gainer to 24 oz of cold water or milk. Mix thoroughly. Dymatize Super Mega Gainer is highly concentrated, and due to its potency you may want to consider using 1/2 serving two or three times throughout the day. For the ultimate in maximum weight gain, take up to three servings of Dymatize Super Mega Gainer daily; one in the morning, another in the afternoon, and a final serving at bedtime (20-30 minutes before going to sleep).

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Super Mass Gainer by dymatize, Cookies and creeam flavor is my Favorite!
$37.98 at Bodybuilding.com right now!

Description: SUPER Mass Gainer 12lb by Dymatize

1,280 Calories. 50 g Protein. Awesome value. Huge 12 pounder.

Servings Per Container: 16

Each serving contains: Calories 1,280 Calories from Fat 72 Total Fat 8 g 45% Saturated Fat 1 g 5% Cholesterol 70 mg 22% Sodium 200 mg 8% Potassium 500 mg 15% Total Carbohydrate 252 g 84% Sugars 39 g Protein 50 g 100% Vitamin A 2,500 IU 120% Vitamin C 60 mg 150% Calcium 410 mg 60% Vitamin D 200 IU 90% Vitamin E 30 IU 150% Biotin 150 mcg 150% Chromium 120 mcg 100% Niacin 10 mg 150% Pantothenic Acid 5 mg 120% Vitamin B12 3 mcg 100% Vitamin B6 1 mg 150% Riboflavin 1 mg 150% Folic Acid 140 mcg 150% Creatine Monohydrate 1 g Proprietary Amino Acid Blend 2 g Zytrix 250 mg

Ingredients: Dymatize Complex Carbohydrate Blend (Made up of the Highest Quality Corn Dextrins Available from Maltodextrin Providing Ultra High Levels of 100% Pure Long Chain Glucose Polymers), Dymatize Protein Blend (Whey Protein Isolate, Whey Protein Concentrate, Calcium Caseinate, Egg Albumen), Dymatize Simple Carbohydrate Blend, Natural Cocoa, Dymatize Super Mega Gainer Vitamin and Mineral, and Fatty Acid Blend (Vitamin A Palmitate, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin D3, Ascorbic Acid, D-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Soy Lecithin, Medium Chain Triglycerides, Sodium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Niacinamide, Zinc Oxide, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, Beta Carotene, Brewer's Yeast, CGF Chromium Yeast, Spirullina, Cyanocobalamin), Natural and Artificial Flavors. Proprietary Amino Acid Blend: Glutamine, Glutamine Peptides, L-Leucine, L-Isoleucine, L-Valine

Directions: As a dietary supplement, add 2 scoops of Dymatize Super Mega Gainer to 24 oz of cold water or milk. Mix thoroughly. Dymatize Super Mega Gainer is highly concentrated, and due to its potency you may want to consider using 1/2 serving two or three times throughout the day. For the ultimate in maximum weight gain, take up to three servings of Dymatize Super Mega Gainer daily; one in the morning, another in the afternoon, and a final serving at bedtime (20-30 minutes before going to sleep).
/Fail

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
best out there other at home gainers is, and its not an opinion, ISO MASS. look it up. its the shizz

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
the problem with more than most weight gainers out there is that they only have like 16 servings or so. this lasts me maybe 1 week if u make 2 a day. iso mass has 30 servings. and its legit

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Best I've tried with minimal fat gain was Stealth from VPX.

TexasRaised

TexasRaised

Awards
Most weight gainers have a lot of sugar in them, so I'd say make your own: pb, oatmeal, whole milk, protein powder, bananas, ice, and flax oil is a good high calorie source. But currently I am using UpYourMass Cookie n Cream, mixes amazingly well with milk, and tastes amazing.

Rahl

Rahl

Awards
  • Established
I agree. Most are loaded with sugar to up the cals. I make my own. Just load in PB, 1/4 cup of oats, scoop of whey, flax seed, whole milk and go.

OrganicShadow

OrganicShadow

Awards
  • Established
I prefer to make my own: 2 tbsp natural pwanut butter, 2 scoops whey, 60g dry cream of wheat. NO MILK. I add just enough water to make a thick bulky chocolate pudding.

I do alternate twice daily between a home recipe and MHP Up Your Mass. 1g of sugar. I agree with Rahl when saying a lot of them just dump sugar in for cals and carbs but this is pretty legit.
132g serving = 510kcal (99) = 11g fats (2.5 sat) 58g carbs (12 fiber, 1 sugar) 46g protein.

R1balla

R1balla

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
you are correct: MOST except ISO MASS. only 5 grams of sugar per serving. serving size is 3 scoops

kingdong

kingdong

Awards
  • Established
Dose everyone know that Maltodextrin is't technically consdered sugar right? Something can say 1 gram of sugar and have a ton of malto in it.

neofrost83

neofrost83

Awards
  • Established
Here's one thing I discovered while making my own thus far (AND THANK YOU ALL FOR THE RECIPES!!!!): I know it's not often talked about but it's gotta be mentioned: no diarhea!!!! Seriously guys...I KNOW you guys have had these shakes before and no more than 10 minutes later you gotta run to the bathroom...and you gotta fart over and over and over...But the homemade stuff never has done that and is 10x cheaper!!! Like I said I REALLY appreciate all the input - I got a better shake just from doing it myself and saved all sorts of money that would have been spent on a Jug that lasts a week an industrial size roll of toilet paper!!!

pablogdog

pablogdog

Awards
  • Established
Haha. And you'll prolly get good results from your homebrew, frost

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Dymatize Elite Fusion 7 + scoop of VPX Fiberteq mixed in 6 ounces of Hood Milk (for texture), consistency and taste similar to a milkshake minus the sugar.

PowRcleanR

Awards
Best tasting protein: Syntha-6

My shake: whey protein, frozen strawberries, flax, CEE, skim milk....Blended and great

chrisman3672

Awards
Whats up bro,, I love the idea of making my own shakes but lately i have been taking Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass. 650 calories per scoop (big ass scoop) but 32 scoops per bag. Been on the stuff for about a month and ive gained almost 10 pounds now.. ive also been eating a lot which is the best thing you can do. Anyway i love the stuff, i highly recommend

neofrost83

neofrost83

Awards
  • Established
Haha. And you'll prolly get good results from your homebrew, frost
Actually my milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.....

WillVN

Awards
Whats up bro,, I love the idea of making my own shakes but lately i have been taking Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass. 650 calories per scoop (big ass scoop) but 32 scoops per bag. Been on the stuff for about a month and ive gained almost 10 pounds now.. ive also been eating a lot which is the best thing you can do. Anyway i love the stuff, i highly recommend
Which flavour did you like the most?

grtz

neofrost83

neofrost83

Awards
  • Established
Updated the pic of Peter Griffin above...for some reason the other one was erased. I think it's pretty funny.....