Beginner Strength Totals

tastycakes135

Awards
I bench only 175, squat 325, and hang clean 230. In the program at school, we don't deadlift, but when I did last school year I got 365x2. I'm 16 years old (about 161lbs.) and was wondering if these totals mean I might have a future in powerlifing. I'd appreciate some feedback from you older guys!

lifted67

lifted67

Awards
  • Established
You're pretty close to 1000 pound club at 16, your limits are only as far you push yourself dude, awesome stuff!

RugbyBaller91

RugbyBaller91

Awards
Good numbers bro my first max was 135? Haha your ahead of the game!

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Powerlifting is open to everyone - there's a weightclass and age bracket for everyone, and you pick what you will lift so it's very accessible. If you are curious about it, ask your parent to help you look for a local meet on Powerlifting Watch and go watch one, usually $5 on a Saturday. People are typically very friendly at meets and it can be a good place to ask where good gyms are to get stronger if you decide to start training for a meet.

You don't need a powerlifting gym, but it is usually best to have some kind of coach or team to help you with your lifting technique and to guide your training into a competition if you decide to try one!

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What the others said, and when I was your age I was not done growing yet, so along with a good start, you may still have room from your DNA too...! ;-)