Bar slipping?

eet

Awards
Hi,

When I squat the bar doesn't grip my back as well as I want it. The bar feels slippery on certain shirts I wear.
When I bench, my shirt makes my set-up feel less stable as well due to the slipping.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Aside from chalking the back of my shirt, are there any specialty shirts, mats or techniques you guys use to get a better grip?

Thanks!

RegisterJr

RegisterJr

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I don't recall ever having this issue.

Do you have any videos?

What types of shirts are you wearing?

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
I get this... I either wear a vest so it grips my skin or i just chalk up my back (where the bar sits).

Ive had a hairy moment before when I had 400lb's on my back and it slipped... I managed to just keep it on, literally clinging to a thread lol

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Make sure the squat bar has Knurling in the middle. Try squatting in a polo. Any spandex or synthetic doesn't seem to grip the bench as well. If the bench is slippery by itself, put a band or two on it lengthwise.

mountainman33

mountainman33

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Unless you're doing something overtly athletic (i.e. basketball, football, etc.) just a regular cotton shirt is best. I had this same once with an Under Armor shirt. Once I went back to a cotton shirt no more problems.

eet

Awards
Thanks for all the replies!

The bar at the local gym doesn't have any knurling on the center so that may be part of the issue.

I have tried several shirts, and it is hit or miss. I think it comes down to the shirt material (100% cotton, cotton blend, etc). All the shirts I've tried are cotton in one form or another.

I may try and take a shirt and attach some material to increase the friction where the bar rests, basically around the upper and mid back.

If it works and helps the bar "stick" to the back and helps keeps your back arch on the bench solid, do you guys think other power lifters and gym goers would be interested in something similar? You can imagine it having the sweat wicking properties but with better grip than a cotton shirt.

Thanks!