Anyone experience this? Do I need more protein?

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Ok, so I've been progressing with my exercises. I do 10 reps for 3 sets on all my exercises and it seems to be working. I add 10lbs to each exercise every two weeks, except for curls where I add 5lbs. The problem I'm having is it takes me two weeks to add weight and pogress on an exercise, except for curls. It seems that it takes me 3 weeks to pogress with my curls, while my other exercises I pogress every two weeks. Does this mean anything? Perhaps I just have weak biceps I don't know.

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
biceps are tiny muscles when compared to others.
and are you comparing improvement in compound movements to curls?
upping your squat by 10lbs is much easier than adding 10lbs to curls.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
biceps are tiny muscles when compared to others.
and are you comparing improvement in compound movements to curls?
upping your squat by 10lbs is much easier than adding 10lbs to curls.
I'm adding 5lbs to curls. I also have to curl using the flat bar, since I don't have dumb bells. I don't know if that matters or not. So, when I add weight I had 5lbs to each side of the bar, which equals out to 5lbs added to each arm.

ironaddict

ironaddict

Awards
If you are adding 5lbs of strength to each bicep every 3 weeks, you have nothing to worry about. That kind of progresssion is great, even for a beginner. As Hank said, biceps are TINY, and if you're compound lifts are improving regularly, you're doing great.

fightbackhxc

fightbackhxc

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
yeah biceps dont grow real fast. like they said, tiny muscles. it will take you alot of time to get any growth on them.

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
it's all proportional.

Quads are a LOT bigger than biceps. So adding 5 lbs to quad exercises may be like adding 1% overload.

However adding 5lbs to bicep exercises may be like adding 10% overload.

thebig4

Awards
I am taking a blind shot in the dark here but when do you curl? You use your biceps as a secondary in several other lifts and if you do them last they might already be fatigued before you begin. 5 lbs every 3 weeks isn't bad.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I am taking a blind shot in the dark here but when do you curl? You use your biceps as a secondary in several other lifts and if you do them last they might already be fatigued before you begin. 5 lbs every 3 weeks isn't bad.
Actually I do curls first before I do my other exercises.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
I guess I should point out that I do 3 sets of 10 reps with all my exercises including curls and reverse curls. I was actually able to move from 25lb to 30lb in two weeks, but the last set was very hard, so I may go back to curling 25lb another week. I feel alot better now.

redemption79

Awards
  • Established
Just wanted to say great progress man. Keep busting your butt. Five pounds in 2 weeks is great, regardless of the rest of your workout.
Everyone has their preferences, but when I move up weight, I may come a rep or 2 short on the last set, but as long as I can still perform the exercise correctly, all is well. Just use that weight and concentrate on progressing on your reps. When you can do all your reps, sets without struggling, you need to bump the weight up again.

P.S. - I am assuming you are a beginner. The stronger you get, the slower the gains are going to come. Don't let it discourage you. It just means you are getting to the elite stage of training where gains start coming slower.

Cheers!

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Just wanted to say great progress man. Keep busting your butt. Five pounds in 2 weeks is great, regardless of the rest of your workout.
Everyone has their preferences, but when I move up weight, I may come a rep or 2 short on the last set, but as long as I can still perform the exercise correctly, all is well. Just use that weight and concentrate on progressing on your reps. When you can do all your reps, sets without struggling, you need to bump the weight up again.

P.S. - I am assuming you are a beginner. The stronger you get, the slower the gains are going to come. Don't let it discourage you. It just means you are getting to the elite stage of training where gains start coming slower.

Cheers!
Thanks man.

guapitomark

guapitomark

Awards
Instead of doing 3X10, try "tricking" your muscles for a couple of weeks by doing 4X8 or even 4X6 with a little more weight. Muscles get used to routines pretty fast. It's good to change the order and the reps/sets of your routines every 4 to 6 weeks.

DerickVonD

DerickVonD

Awards
  • Established
Instead of doing 3X10, try "tricking" your muscles for a couple of weeks by doing 4X8 or even 4X6 with a little more weight. Muscles get used to routines pretty fast. It's good to change the order and the reps/sets of your routines every 4 to 6 weeks.
Could I just endlessly move from 3 x10 four weeks then 4x6 for four weeks and then back to 3 x10? That would be the easiest thing for me. I don't like to change routines too often.

DavesNotHere

DavesNotHere

Awards
Could I just endlessly move from 3 x10 four weeks then 4x6 for four weeks and then back to 3 x10? That would be the easiest thing for me. I don't like to change routines too often.
the body adapts very quickly. When it does, your progress slows so you have to change up your routine. Alternating 3x10 with 4x6 would be fine for awhile, but the body will eventually adapt. There are a lot of variables you can change besides the amount of sets and reps...research this forum and find some things that agree with you.
good luck